• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive PC PlanetSide 2 performance update released today.

I keep getting this error message when I try to update... any help?
Xt0jYz3.png

Anyone with a phenom II? (or one of those bulldozer cpus)
This game was unplayable before, 6-15 fps in biolab fights, 30 odd fps in really small fights
I want to know how much difference these optimisations and multithreading improvements actually make.

I dunno, I've got 500 hours in the game with almost all of that being solo and never had a problem trying to figure out where to go or what to do. Log in, check the map for big fights, and head out.

RyuHei

Anyone tried out the game with the new patch yet? I haven't played it in awhile. And since then I have upgraded/downgraded/sidegraded from two 3gb gtx 580 to one gtx 780(classified). Don't know how it'll perform now.

VariantX

I can actually play this turned all the way up now at 1080p - motion blur (I just hate motion blur)

i5 2500k (stock)
6870 1GB
8GB ram

Feels like a huge difference from before. Granted, im not hitting 60 fps in large battles, but its not a slideshow either.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war.

Dark Millennium can't come soon enough...

On the topic at hand, did they fix the weird enemy movement-teleporting while in crowded areas? I didn't saw a mention of that but I feel it's very important. You're hoping for an epic battle with ton of enemies and allies but end up with a laggy slugfest.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just had a quick blast.

Firstly, I still suck royally at the game, 2nd, it does look nice doesn't it. Locked 60 (well, 57, weirdly) FPS using my HD 7970 Ghz ed with pretty much everything on full. Now I have changed GPU since I first played the game but it just feels much smoother now.

Dark Millennium can't come soon enough...

On the topic at hand, did they fix the weird enemy movement-teleporting while in crowded areas? I didn't saw a mention of that but I feel it's very important. You're hoping for an epic battle with ton of enemies and allies but end up with a laggy slugfest.

I think you're going to be waiting a long ass time for Dark Millennium, if that thing even still exists.

A lot of the warping, laggy movement stuff was fixed a while back. The hit detection has been very good the past couple months.

GodofWine

how do I turn on a FPS display? can I ??

I feel like the performance is a lot better, and I only have a AMD Radeon 6650M in my laptop, so I've always played on low or close to it, I was actually fiddling with mids across the board.

feel

Best way to play this game is to join a platoon in your server. Platoon leaders at this point in the game generally are pretty good at sitting back and commanding.

I had one of the most impressive online experiences a few months ago, probably 150 - 200 people all in various vehicles just rolling through base to base just taking it over, with the commander asking certain groups of people to go off and defend under attack bases.
That sounds pretty awesome, I need to give this another try and see if I can get into a server with commanding going on. Just aimlessly wandering around the huge maps looking for inconsequential kills bores me to death (same with Battlefield 3/4).

That sounds pretty awesome, I need to give this another try and see if I can get into a server with commanding going on. Just aimlessly wandering around the huge maps looking for inconsequential kills bores me to death (same with Battlefield 3/4).

Join Mattherson! Some good outfits here. TR has Validus Gamers. Great outfit with a smart leader. Used to have The Enclave which was the epitome of organization but they've abandoned the game. VG is just as good though.

Tablo

Yeah tried out patch, feels a lot smoother and runs at upwards of 50fps during battles now. Nice, will playing often now :)

Harpuea

I really like this game. It is a test of ultimate tactical and critical thinking sand box FPS for me: How do I complete my personal objective against potentially 100+ competent human enemies? There are so many play style that it is mind boggling. I feel that too many people play this game like"Progess-Side" and cares too much about the unlocks, upgrades, and achievement messages. I don't need an official achievement to stroke my ego when I got 60/1 kdr using light assault default weapons in a single play session. Or mastery of Tank combat. I plan to master flying, but right now I am leaning toward harassers tactics.

If you are a type of game who likes clear cut hand holding objectives, this game may not be for you. Like conquest in BF where you need to blow up an M-Com in order to move forward. However, if you are a type of person who can recognize changing battle conditions and make your own objectives to turn the tide of battle. There are tons of things to kill for the same effect as an M-Com in Planetside. IE: The main principle target as a defender are Sunderers, which are mobile enemy spawn points. While the game doesn't highlight "Go here and arm a C4" at this Sunderer, I recognize the winning condition by myself. Thus, if I blow one up despite 100+ dudes opposing me. I single-handedly end the battle. Do you need a message pop up congratulating you? Some people do for it to be fun, but I don't need it.

PS2 is a holy grail against hand holding corridor FPS for me. There are just no FPS like it. The deployment phase is absolutely epic. Dozens of tanks and aircraft heading toward the front line. Objective: Just kick ass.

I can't go back to other FPS. Not even BF series.

DJ_Lae

Holy crap, 8.5GB patch. I wonder if that's just the recent one or if it also includes something else I missed in the month or so I didn't play.

Will be curious how it performs, it already ran pretty well with everything on maximum.

hwateber

Just had a quick blast.

Firstly, I still suck royally at the game, 2nd, it does look nice doesn't it. Locked 60 (well, 57, weirdly) FPS using my HD 7970 Ghz ed with pretty much everything on full. Now I have changed GPU since I first played the game but it just feels much smoother now.
Excellent. I've got the same GPU so I'm looking forward to trying this out and comparing it to the ps4 version when that comes out. The gameplay seems really overwhelming though so I hope I can convince some buddies to give it a shot

DJ_Lae

I can't go back to other FPS. Not even BF series.

Me either, though I've been pretty burned out on FPS games in general for the past few years. Planetside 2 is one of the few I've actually enjoyed.

I usually only play with my cousin and his friends, we don't do a lot to change the tide of battles but we do what we can and take on doable objectives like capturing smaller necessary facilities or defending them. And in the massive battles it's fun to move around as a little unit, it's amazing how more effective you are as a smaller coordinated group.

I don't know if I'll ever get the hang of flying, though. Sweeping the mouse over and over to do any real banking just feels awkward.

As other people have mentioned, joining a squad is a good idea, outfits aren't necessary but I guess it gives you even more direction.

Best thing you can do is look for an area that has a high number of allies and enemies (24-48/48+) on the map and redeploy/drive there, it's basically all I do and I get hours of good action.

Rezbit

Holy crap, 8.5GB patch. I wonder if that's just the recent one or if it also includes something else I missed in the month or so I didn't play.

Will be curious how it performs, it already ran pretty well with everything on maximum.

Yeah what the heck! I wanted to play again but haven't for a few months, that's like downloading the whole game again! Jeepers.

Cronox

Banned
Me either, though I've been pretty burned out on FPS games in general for the past few years. Planetside 2 is one of the few I've actually enjoyed.

I usually only play with my cousin and his friends, we don't do a lot to change the tide of battles but we do what we can and take on doable objectives like capturing smaller necessary facilities or defending them. And in the massive battles it's fun to move around as a little unit, it's amazing how more effective you are as a smaller coordinated group.

I don't know if I'll ever get the hang of flying, though. Sweeping the mouse over and over to do any real banking just feels awkward.

The [beginner's] secret to flying: map pitch up and down to your extra mouse buttons. Then the mouse is only moved vertically for fine adjustments. Helps if you have a mouse with dpi up and down buttons too. While you're at it, map a nearby button to 3rd person, which will help you track other flyers in dogfights.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Patched and logged in.
Moved around a bit and things didn't feel too good. Saw that the FPS were locked around 60 so I figured maybe some of my settings got changed. Checked and VSYNC was disabled, but their 'Smoothing' option was enabled. I disabled it.

After disabling 'Smoothing' the game is 100% better than it was before. The overall smoothness and fluidity in the game, like...every element in the game...is absolutely amazing compared to how it used to be. Along with this my FPS during huge fights have basically doubled. I was in a Biolab fight with at least 144 players and my frames doubled, plus the snappiness and smoothness of the game is astounding. Also, the loading times are drastically lower than they used to be...and no double/triple load screens.

This is easily the single most impressive performance related patch I have ever experienced in my life.
Kudos to them!

i7 920@3.8GHz + OC'd SLI GTX 670 4GB

I still don't know what the fuck to do in that game.

Join a good outfit that is organized. Not only will you learn the game faster, but your overall gameplay will drastically improve and you'll have fun.

I'm on Mattherson server, in one of the top Outfits of Vanu Sovereignty, we are very militarily organized and hold weekly training sessions. I don't know the rules on GAF recruiting, so I won't post the name...

This last patch (update) has really improved the framerate and overall look on my client. The new UI takes a bit to get used to seeing, but I prefer it over the previous UI. Did notice slight hitching while riding in a Galaxy, but it's minimal.

DJ_Lae

I can't remember exactly how it performed before but with everything on maximum (including draw distance) at 1080p it runs 50-60 fps fairly consistently on my PC (3570K, 7970). I don't seem to be getting the odd hiccup I had before, either.

The [beginner's] secret to flying: map pitch up and down to your extra mouse buttons. Then the mouse is only moved vertically for fine adjustments. Helps if you have a mouse with dpi up and down buttons too. While you're at it, map a nearby button to 3rd person, which will help you track other flyers in dogfights.

That sounds like a great idea. I don't have enough mouse buttons, unfortunately, though, and I don't think my mouse (G5) lets me remap the dpi buttons.

Cronox

Banned
That sounds like a great idea. I don't have enough mouse buttons, unfortunately, though, and I don't think my mouse (G5) lets me remap the dpi buttons.

The DPI buttons wouldn't be mapped, I'm just suggesting that turning DPI to twice as much as usual can help make flying more snappy, as you won't have to move the mouse as much. Also helps in some tanks and with base turrets. If you can even map a single side mouse button to pitch up or down it'll make a difference.

satam55

Banned
I haven't seen anyone make a thread for this (Someone please make a new thread for this article):

Sony: Planetside 2 is 'Massively Multiplayer Halo' for PS4
Free-to-play is "monumental" for SOE.

by Mitch Dyer NOVEMBER 12, 2013

As Sony Online Entertainment prepares to bring Planetside 2 from PC to PlayStation 4, president John Smedley has some ambitious goals for the online shooter -- namely, his team aims to attract an Xbox audience. “We believe that Planetside 2 is going to be the massively multiplayer Halo for PlayStation 4," Smedley told IGN. "So we want to bring a completely new kind of gameplay to a completely new audience.”

With that in mind, SOE doesn’t expect (or necessarily want) players who are cozy on PC to move over to PlayStation 4. The audiences will consume it in different ways, for one thing. Planetside 2 will see more updates on PC more regularly than it will on PS4, as well, so don't expect cross-platform play. Don't get your hopes up about character transfers, either. “We’re not going to launch with that,” said Smedley. “There have been some discussions going on around it, but it’s complicated.”

SOE's excitement lies with bringing thousands of players into a single game, which, in the case of Planetside 2, involves territorial control, a la Battlefield, wrapped in a Halo-esque sci-fi skin. The future of SOE, Smedley says, is in this sort of experience. “Being able to do real free to play? That’s monumental," he said. "I think it’s a very bright future.”

Look for more from SOE on IGN this week leading up to PlayStation 4's launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzvQnYq7Yk

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/sony-planetside-2-is-massively-multiplayer-halo-for-ps4

Top Bottom