• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Masters of the Air" (Band of Brothers/The Pacific Companion) finally gets a Premiere Date and First Look Images

I watched the 3rd episode yesterday. That was the best episode so far, but only because it was the most action packed. I don't care about any of the protagonists (yet) and personally I hope I'll never ever see a show/movie starring Austin Butler, he's got a pretty face but he can't act to save his life.

I found it funny how the Flemish resistance spoke French amongst each other instead of Dutch/Flemish. That was an pretty dumb mistake.
Best actor is the guy who plays the navigator. Oh and the pilot who died in the plane crash.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
After 2 episodes, this series is weakest so far. I don't know how else to solve it, but the fact that the soldiers are always wearing masks doesn't help. I can only remember 2-3 faces, the others I don't even recognize. The Cgi is so bad that it keeps pulling me out. It's amazing that the old series came across as so much higher quality. I'll keep watching it, but I was expecting a lot more.

Cath 22 was a lot better, but as far as I remember the cgi wasn't very good either.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watched part 4. Both females in this episode were pretty.

I enjoyed the episode overall even if everyone at the party scene seemed to be overacting.

Topher

Gold Member
Just watched the first two episodes with my sons. Loving it so far. Just top notched stuff.

Not going to read any comments in the thread until I catch up tomorrow.

Last edited:
lol enjoyed the interrogation scenes in Ep4. So many small details, not just the babe ruth questions. I rewatched it again and still had no idea what month he wrote. August? He also wrote the date in the wrong order.

Oh, that blonde Bucky hooked up with. Don't google her name Joanna Kulig at work.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ep 5 is engaging and the end is devastating. I don’t remember such losses in the book but I am sure it is legit and researched. Just loss after loss. And no under of what is accomplished.

near

Gold Member
‘Masters of the Air’ Soars to Apple TV+’s Most-Watched Series Launch Ever

“Masters of the Air” launched with more viewers in its opening weekend than any Apple TV+ series ever has in its first season, according to the streamer. Though an exact number of viewers was not made available, that puts the epic war miniseries launch above other high-profile original titles like “Hijack,” “The Morning Show” and “Severance.”

Remarkably, following the premiere of “Masters of the Air,” viewership across all of Apple TV+ climbed by 65% worldwide when compared to the previous seven-day period. The streamer also maintained double-digit growth across more than 100 territories.

“Masters of the Air” is currently debuting new episodes, with its sixth installment premiering on Friday, Feb. 23. The finale will bow on the streamer on March 15.

I'll be watching on the weekend following March 15 to binge it all!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ep 7 was ok. Nice to see Tuskegee get its due. Overall the show has gotten better as it continues. I don’t that 7 is one of the best but it is good.

I don't get why they introduce the Tuskegee Airmen so late in the series, literally in the second to last episode. There's no time to develop these characters. They were some of the best pilots in US army during WWII and the least you can do is spend one episode showing their accomplishments and dedication before getting shot down and becoming POWs.

Ep8 also suffers from the same issues I have with Ep7, namely poor pacing and wasting time on pointless side plots. I don't like they keep jumping back and forth between different characters as well as showing Crosby trying to hook up with the british girl over 2 episode. I'm also disappointed that the side plot with the 2 airmen escaping with the help of the resistance went nowhere. The last time we saw them they were on a train to Paris and the next thing they are already back in England with screen time of less than 30s.

One more episode to go. Safe to say the storytelling is by far the weakest of the 3 series.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don't get why they introduce the Tuskegee Airmen so late in the series, literally in the second to last episode. There's no time to develop these characters. They were some of the best pilots in US army during WWII and the least you can do is spend one episode showing their accomplishments and dedication before getting shot down and becoming POWs.

Because the book this show is based on introduces them late as well. You only get about 2 chapters talking about their accomplishments and history. They deserve all the praise they get but following the book this is where they land.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Because the book this show is based on introduces them late as well. You only get about 2 chapters talking about their accomplishments and history. They deserve all the praise they get but following the book this is where they land.
I didn’t know that. Thank you.

I was really hoping to see their stuff as it’s a pretty incredible story.

8 episodes and nothing important/exciting happens as far the main characters are concerned.
The whole POW part is especially weird/bad.
What's worst is the only character with any form of character development, the navigator, now simply "exists".

Last edited:

Dural

I've watched all the episodes so far and it's just OK, I keep watching because I like the subject. The CGI really is bad, to the point that it's distracting and the storytelling is pretty shit. I watched Memphis Belle before this started and it was so much better. Really all the WWII plane movies I've seen are quite a bit better than this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The more I read about it the more I’ll pass.

Just by luck I’ve been watching band of brothers on my streaming box. First time I’ve watched it in ages. A lot of it was new to me again as the only thing I really remembered was the first bunch of episodes. I admit the last couple episodes are anticlimactic as the war is over by then, but even the first episode of boot camp and flying off in planes to the front line is such a great episode. And that episode had zero fights.

So many good characters too. My fave are guarenere and ice cold speirs. Btw, Buck kind of looks like mark messier too. Lol

The more I read about it the more I’ll pass.

Just by luck I’ve been watching band of brothers on my streaming box. First time I’ve watched it in ages. A lot of it was new to me again as the only thing I really remembered was the first bunch of episodes. I admit the last couple episodes are anticlimactic as the war is over by then, but even the first episode of boot camp and flying off in planes to the front line is such a great episode. And that episode had zero fights.

So many good characters too. My fave are guarenere and ice cold speirs. Btw, Buck kind of looks like mark messier too. Lol
If you haven't seen it the 2020 WW2 war film 'Greyhound' in which Tom hanks was also involved (screenplay & main role) is quite good and way better than this.

Nonehxc

Fucking boredom. Band of Brothers was chef kiss, The Pacific was nice and good, but this start-stop hodgepodge of different start-stop situations that barely start to build/rise to anything meaningful snd exciting before they're fucked out of the sky/stopped the next scene doesn't deserve to be called Masters of the Air, more like Morons in the Sky.

With all respect to the memory of those real people that went up there and lost their lives, this show is a fucking joke. I swear we've had more screen time in the fucking oh so bad Stalag 69 than fucking aerial shots. 😐

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Another tidbit in the book and not in the show is although the Swiss were neutral the country was heavily nazi aligning. They had German aircraft and any US airman that crossed into swill territory were forced down and held in camps for the duration of the war. So while the Swiss were neutral they were more aligned with the Germans than neutral. A fact that should not have surprised me but did.

Liljagare

Interesting. :D

Show just got better and better imho. Really grew on me, and I think alot of people just don't see the difference between the air war and ground war and the effect it had on interpersonal relationships.

I also think they portrayed Stalag Luft III really well, and it is a important part of the story about the airmen.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

It got better, but unfortunately it's still the worst show of the three.

Yes but it is still better than most WW2 shows or movies.
Also, I don't don't we will ever see a show of Band of brother quality again, you need to get a lot of thing right to even get close.
It's not really fair to expect them to catch lighting in a bottle twice.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yes but it is still better than most WW2 shows or movies.
Also, I don't don't we will ever see a show of Band of brother quality again, you need to get a lot of thing right to even get close.
It's not really fair to expect them to catch lighting in a bottle twice.
It was a great show back then, but I don't see why they couldn't do it again. This time there was clearly too little budget for the cgi and the actors weren't the greatest.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I finished the season and overall enjoyed it. Nothing is band of brothers and nothing ever will be but overall good show.

the main thing missing from the follow ones to bob is the connection with the real men. Bob had a connection that we cannot get any longer.

Liljagare

Should have called it Masters of the Ground.

The Stalag Luft's were a huge part of the Air war. Some guys got shot down in '40 and sat until liberated.

Roughly 94,000 Americans were held as prisoners of war in the European Theater and 7,717 of them spent time in Stalag Luft I on the Baltic ... 10000 were at Stalag Luft III in January 1945. It's a huuuuuge part of their story. Could actually done more with this part.

Chiggs

The Stalag Luft's were a huge part of the Air war. Some guys got shot down in '40 and sat until liberated.

Roughly 94,000 Americans were held as prisoners of war in the European Theater and 7,717 of them spent time in Stalag Luft I on the Baltic ... 10000 were at Stalag Luft III in January 1945. It's a huuuuuge part of their story. Could actually done more with this part.

Appreciate the interesting historical data. Sounds like quite the ordeal for the folks who were there.

Just wish I didn't feel entirely bored by most everything past the incredible third episode.

Liljagare

Appreciate the interesting historical data. Sounds like quite the ordeal for the folks who were there.

Just wish I didn't feel entirely bored by most everything past the incredible third episode.

A good take. They did try to get too much into very few episodes, and the Tuskegee airmen story needs its own show.

Band of Brothers and Pacific had it easier, following a squad where against all odds, alot of the characters lived beyond a episode, imho. They got their training and lived together for alot longer than most aircrews did.

I think maybe they could have done with a bit more with showing just how short the average airman's life was. Very few made it to 25 missions pre '44.

Naturally, you're not going to have too many tight groups in a situation like that, and I think the show tried to show the aloofness, but people didn't catch it.

Last edited:

Burger

For a show set half in England, showing the British as basically stuck up toffs is what you would expect from a show that tries quite hard to ignore any sort of allied involvement in WW2 and sticks to the idea of good lookin' true American boys winning the war. What an awful waste of money this all was.

Top Bottom