• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3's Multiplayer Has Singleplayer And Story Elements, Dan Houser Lead Writer

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that Rockstar is slowly detailing Max Payne 3's multiplayer.

Also, apparently Dan Houser is the new lead writer on the game. I'm unsure if this was previously known.

There's a lot more at the link, but it's mostly written for people who don't play video games and/or have never heard of the series.

Variety said:
Houser, who is also lead writer on "Max Payne 3" (as he was on "Grand Theft Auto IV"), says he believes refining writing is essential to the maturation of the industry.

"If games are to be the next major form of creative consumption, art, cultural expression or whatever the correct term is, then strong narrative has to be part of that," he says. "If the mechanics are fine and the story is ridiculous, the experience is much diminished."

Maintaining control over story -- and any cinematic qualities -- is especially challenging as the gaming world moves toward a more multiplayer focus. Players still appreciate a good campaign, but if a game doesn't have a strong online component where they can play with (or, even better, against) others, it hurts the game's earnings potential.

Rockstar hasn't talked much about the multiplayer aspects of "Max Payne 3," but Houser hints that just because those elements of the game live outside of the campaign, it doesn't mean they're not part of the narrative.

"We wanted to put some elements of single player into the multiplayer so the multiplayer will have a lot more detail and have elements of story in it and have a sort of an immersive quality," he says. "We think that's something that is underexplored in multiplayer."

"Max Payne 3" has been a long time coming. First announced in 2009, with an expected ship date of that winter, it has been pushed back a couple of times to let the development team polish it and ensure the quality was up to Rockstar's exacting standards. This includes an excruciating attention to detail, which Houser says is the real key to the company's success.

Realism, he says, is also a major goal. "We are building a film set, but it's a 360-degree film set that has to join together and feel real," he explains. "Some of the stuff we end up being most obsessed by are the things that join between walls. And where a lot of other games fail is their models may look great, but they don't sit together very well."

While Rockstar likens itself more to a film studio than a traditional game developer (the company shoots the equivalent of a feature film every few weeks with its motion capture rig, Houser notes), it's not eager to embrace a film industry trend other gamemakers are chasing: 3D.

While the PC version of "Max Payne 3" may be 3D-compatible (nothing, so far, is confirmed, but most major PC games offer the feature these days), Houser says it's not a passion of his. "I don't think anyone has solved the riddle of how you make 3D an integral part of the gaming experience," he says simply.
Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118045632

This is all we previously knew about their online.

Rockstar said:
In addition to an expansive single-player campaign, Max Payne 3 will also be the first entry in the series to introduce a thorough and engrossing multiplayer experience. In a unique twist, Max Payne 3 multiplayer delivers a compelling experience that dynamically alters maps and mode progression for all players in a match. Along with traditional multiplayer modes, Max Payne 3 will also include a deep reward and leveling system, persistent clans and multiple strategic load-out options.
Source: http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/18761/max-payne-3-coming-march-2012.html

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
He was also one of the leads writers on Red Dead Redemption

FUCK YEAH

pa22word

Sounds interesting. I love good co-op modes as long as they keep it separate and out of the single player mode's way. Nothing wrong with the "two max paynes" approach either. Just as long as it doesn't pull an RE5 I'll be happy.

SamuraiX-

"If the mechanics are fine and the story is ridiculous, the experience is much diminished."

Que AllGameStoriesAreRidiculousGAF.

I'm semi-hyped for the multiplayer. Sounds promising. Need to hear more. More importantly, need to see more.

Ridley327

I don't know how I feel about Houser writing for a Max Payne game. He really hasn't done anything that makes me think, "oh, he totally gets walking the fine line between homage and parody for noir writing and conventions."

This stuck out:

"If games are to be the next major form of creative consumption, art, cultural expression or whatever the correct term is, then strong narrative has to be part of that," he says. "If the mechanics are fine and the story is ridiculous, the experience is much diminished."

There's a thousand LA Noire jokes in here.

subversus

Ridley327 said:
I don't know how I feel about Houser writing for a Max Payne game. He really hasn't done anything that makes me think, "oh, he totally gets walking the fine line between homage and parody for noir writing and conventions."

he also wrote a lot for Red Dead.

colt45joe

Banned
subversus said:
He was also one of the leads writers on Red Dead Redemption

FUCK YEAH

red dead redemption's dialogue was terrible. After a while I started skipping all the cinematics because there was so much unnecessary talking. (my stupid opinion)

Ridley327

pa22word said:
To be fair to Houser, I don't think he did any of the writing in LA Noire (did he?).
Not that we know of, but it's still a mildly humorous thing to state in the face of that game being their only major release for 2011.

pakkit

Banned
Houser's writing and world vision has matured with each release. His once over-the-top "rockstar" visions have been tempered, and his ambitions have grown. I hope he can do the noir history justice.

Haunted

We wanted to put some elements of single player into the multiplayer so the multiplayer will have a lot more detail and have elements of story in it and have a sort of an immersive quality
What does that even mean?

FloppyDelux said:
psyched, loved the first two games.
Different developer.

subversus

colt45joe said:
red dead redemption's dialogue was terrible. After a while I started skipping all the cinematics because there was so much unnecessary talking. (my stupid opinion)

Unnecessary=! bad. It was excellent. A bit excessive but I take a good excess over a bad nothing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like this Dan Houser guy. Sounds like a good creative director.

NullPointer said:
The opposite is also true Rockstar. Just sayin'

He knows, but it is rare that the stories in games aren't immature, which is his point. He wants to do something that he feels has been neglected.

edit: I think what he means for the multi is that the gameplay design structure will actually be presented in way that feels more believable/immersive. So basically, if you have "capture the flag" (not saying that will actually be there), maybe it would be "rescue the hostage/kidnap the person" kind of deal, where instead of capturing a flag you have to bring someone back alive to some place while the other team is doing the same, but both presented in a context that actually feels different based on which side you are playing as: one is trying to protect the person (flag), the other is trying to kidnap them.

subversus

chubigans said:
That is not a good thing for me. I really disliked a majority of RDR's story. Bah.

that's interesting because there is no much story in Red Dead, so I'm not sure what you were supposed to like.

Fjordson

Dan Houser is one of the best writers in gaming. Him writing MP 3 increases my hype ten fold.

Grand Theft Auto III
San Andreas
Vice City
Bully
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto IV

Such a fantastic list of credits. He wrote the story beats, the dialogue, radio commercials, pedestrian dialogue, newspapers, etc. etc. for all of these games. Insane.

pa22word said:
To be fair to Houser, I don't think he did any of the writing in LA Noire (did he?).
No, he didn't. Written by the head of Team Bondi.

pa22word

Oi, missed this.

subversus said:
Unnecessary=! bad. It was excellent. A bit excessive but I take a good excess over a bad nothing.

Yes, but unnecessary can = bad. See: (specifically later entries) MGS series. Also to the guy you quoted: I find it odd to complain about RDR (when it comes to dialog) if you're a Max Payne fan, tbqh. Some of the dialog in the first game is painfully overwrought, and the second game can get pretty bad at times.

chubigans said:
That is not a good thing for me. I really disliked a majority of RDR's story. Bah.
Did you dislike the story because it did not fit your tastes, or did you dislike the writing? Different things bro.

Houser, who is also lead writer on "Max Payne 3" (as he was on "Grand Theft Auto IV")

Any faith I had that they could maybe keep the story as good as the Remedy titles just flew violently out the window. :(

Twinduct

Wait .. when did they announce Multiplayer?
Honest question: Do we really need every game to have MP? Or is it just simply easier to shoehorn in the online pass due to MP?

Fjordson

petethepanda said:
Houser, who is also lead writer on "Max Payne 3" (as he was on "Grand Theft Auto IV")

Any faith I had that they could maybe keep the story as good as the Remedy titles just flew violently out the window. :(
Tough to compare a mostly linear action game to something like GTA IV (even though I actually liked IV's story).

I think people might be surprised by what R* can do when not tied to the mission based structure of their other games. Same goes for them being able to convey a specific and appropriate atmosphere and tone. They did it with the 80's in Vice City, early 90's California with San Andreas, and a New England boarding school with Bully. No reason they can't do it again here.

Fjordson

Gamebaron said:
I am surprised at the reactions. I would have thought that Max Payne fans hated the concept of multiplay in the series.
Eh, just go look at the earlier MP 3 threads. Lots of Max Payne fans have already written this game off.

LEGGZZZZ

If there's anything I've learned from Rockstar, it's that they still have a LONG way to go to even get their multiplayer system up to par with other shooters, I really doubt they will have learned anything from RDR. Hopefully the shooting mechanics will actually be comparable to other major titles, the cover system/overall control of character is a joke in LA noire and RDR compared to Gears/Uncharted.

We'll see though, I hope I'm wrong.

If it involves SP and story elements, I can easily get behind this. I don't play MP often, but I'll definitely check it out. And I think Houser writing the story was always assumed, he's written all of Rockstar's games with the exception of LA Noire, which Macnamara wrote (terribly).

Of course, writing a linear game is a lot different than writing a sprawling epic, so I hope Houser can really narrow in the focus and evoke a lot of what made the previous games really good. It seems like he's heading for a Michael Mann feel for this game, that combined with the Remedy writing style to fit it in with the other games would be awesome.

Good article.

Fjordson

Digital-Hero said:
Where is that Bully 2 at? I swore it was mentioned years ago.
Yeah, the composer for the first game said something like "it looks like I'll be doing the soundtrack for a sequel" in an interview. That was in 2009, though. Haven't heard anything about it since.

i hope they dont introduce many unnecessary characters with half baked characterization. i liked houser's writing in GTA 4 and RDR but midway through both games, old characters are forgotten, new one are introduced only to be forgotten again.

In a unique twist, Max Payne 3 multiplayer delivers a compelling experience that dynamically alters maps and mode progression for all players in a match.

YrDqy.gif

Dacon

Banned
colt45joe said:

At least we agree.

I am in the camp that doesn't think an MP sequel can work in the existing plot without digging up a lot of unnecessary baggage that was already resolved, and I hate bald Max. I am however willing to give this all a chance, even the Multiplayer.

I like what Dan Houser does. RDR is his best work yet and a great example of story telling in video games. Max Payne is a different bag all together, though. I've never seen or know of any of his work that involved noir themes/dialogue, so I remain optimistic, but cautious for Max 3's story.

White Man said:
I'm not exactly sure why, but when I hear "multiplayer has singleplayer" I'm translating it to "online pass."

Ha... every game will have that soon enough. We are entering a new age of... "user-friendliness".

Top Bottom