• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonalds Brings Back Szechuan Dipping Sauce on October 7th, One Day Only

Biske

Remembers me one evening I went to McDonald's and they were out of meat, a few hours before closing. I remember some people's reactions were freaking toxic. There wasn't a huge line but the second they entered the restaurant they were entitled to their burger. Like, it's McDonald's dude, come another day, they're everywhere.

I can imagine

"you are mcdonalds, HOW ARE YOU OUT OF MEAT!! I WANT MEAT!!!"

"I'm sorry, I understand, but we just ran out and have no way to get more until the next delivery"

"FUCK YOU!! LET ME TALK TO YOUR MANAGER!"

The customer service aspect of our modern life turns everyone into entitled lunatics.

I feel bad for the workers.

I remember working at a subway and we ran out of bread, cause we didn't have enough ordered and circumstances led to us running out. Having to explain being out of something as simple as bread to angry customers was pure hell.

I can only imagine staring down 200 + people at a job you have no control over and today is your unlucky day on cashier duty and explaining to person after person "no we don't have it, they only shipped us a box of 20 but my manager lost it..." or "we only got 20, we did a ticket system 5 hours ago..."

Clearly when you tell people you are going to have a sauce, something as simple as fucking sauce, people will assume you at least have a few boxes of dumb ass sauce, thus why hundreds of people show up, especially after such a big marketing campaign, and then coming to folks with "good news, we have 20, yup just 20 1 ounce packets"

I mean god damn.

Well to be fair, when all you sell are sandwiches, running out of bread is kind of a huge oversight.

I heard the sauce wasn't even good though, and that was from Roiland himself when McDonald's sent him that big container of it? Right?

Everybody going out to get it just to say they did.

Holy shit, in the related items there's Big Mac sauce.

You can buy Big Mac sauce in a bottle? Everything I see for Big Mac Sauce says it's imported from Canada? Why don't we have this in the U.S.? I wouldn't need any other condiment.

yrba1

Went to the location at Bellflower, CA. there's no way they're gonna have a packet available for everyone. If you got your sauce and didn't eat it, hope you're considering selling it on eBay; they're going for $500

ExVicis

I heard the sauce wasn't even good though, and that was from Roiland himself when McDonald's sent him that big container of it? Right?

Well I mean it's McDonald's quality normal Szechuan Sauce. It's not going to be amazing, honestly I was using this as an excuse to get Mickey D's nuggets.

kunonabi

Got to mine at 2:00 in San Antonio and it was super packed. Too bad they already sold out of sauce. I guess none of the actual stores were told anything about 2:00?

Darkman M

Went to the location at Bellflower, CA. there's no way they're gonna have a packet available for everyone. If you got your sauce and didn't eat it, hope you're considering selling it on eBay; they're going for $500

$500? Employees are gonna cuff a few of these....

yrba1

$500? Employees are gonna cuff a few of these....

haha yup...

xsqNzYu.png

Biske

Well to be fair, when all you sell are sandwiches, running out of bread is kind of a huge oversight.

Sure, but the employee at the time (me) making about 5.75 an hour had no control over that.

Just like the employees working today who are getting bitched out about sauce, have no control over it.

Some how all us genius customers forget that we are all little more than slaves working for corporations who call all the shots.

I would hope the ire is directed solely at the deliberate scarcity and manipulative marketing. I'm sure many higher ups are seeing this as a raging success.

Snaku

Banned
Remembers me one evening I went to McDonald's and they were out of meat, a few hours before closing. I remember some people's reactions were freaking toxic. There wasn't a huge line but the second they entered the restaurant they were entitled to their burger. Like, it's McDonald's dude, come another day, they're everywhere.

Ha, reminds me of when I went to Burger King one time and they ran out of hamburger meat and only had chicken. I made a joke about Chicken King, but the customers behind me were livid.

Haruko

For those that don't know, the posters and stickers that they are giving away aren't all Szechuan Sauce art ones... They have ones for each of the sauces.

At the one I went to, they gave out posters first and then stickers, 1 per person. Obv the Szechuan Sauce ones went first... At least I didn't get stuck with a Creamy Ranch poster lol.

They all came with a coupon for a free order of the new chicken tenders, but you had to purchase an order to get it.

ebay people need to fucking chill. they are highly likely bringing this sauce back during the live action Mulan, right?

their PR would be idiots not to

The guacamole grilled chicken sandwich is the best menu item they've ever had in their entire history, and this promotion has stuck around far longer than they normally do so they must be selling pretty well. That said the Mac Jr. cost them literally nothing to keep on the menu, they have all the ingredients on hand so I have no idea why they would get rid of it.

You can always get a Mac Jr. It's just a McDouble with no ketchup or mustard add Mac sauce and shredded lettuce. Comes out to about $2. Some places you can just say, "Make it like a Mac" and they'll do it.

jstripes

Banned
Ha, reminds me of when I went to Burger King one time and they ran out of hamburger meat and only had chicken. I made a joke about Chicken King, but the customers behind me were livid.

One time I had a really bad craving for a Chicken Burrito Supreme, and Taco Bell was out of... chicken.

What kind of bad supply chain management leads to that?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I would like to know how many people queuing up for a packet of this sauce actually had it when it was released and liked it, or knew it existed before a cartoon talked about it. The reaction to this is baffling to me, but each to their own.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Santa Monica 2nd & Broadway had a ~8 person line at 1pm for a 2pm start time for the promotion. Wasn’t prepared to wait an hour.

Zubz

Banned
Is this sauce that good? I don't get it?

It's a meme more than anything. Rick from Rick & Morty went on a rant about liking it & wishing it was a permanent menu item, then people joked about that rant, then people wanted the sauce despite it just being the McDonald's version of sauce available at any Chinese restaurant.

That's what I've been reminding my friends who found out their town didn't have the sauce like they thought, by the way. It's $8 more, but you also cover dinner that way & can finally cease their Szechuan searches.

RyanW

Jokes on the people who buy it when the sauce inevitably comes back in greater numbers later in the year.

Clipse

t5pyVnCl.jpg

This happened to me a few years ago as well lol.

Sure, but the employee at the time (me) making about 5.75 an hour had no control over that.

Just like the employees working today who are getting bitched out about sauce, have no control over it.

Some how all us genius customers forget that we are all little more than slaves working for corporations who call all the shots.

I would hope the ire is directed solely at the deliberate scarcity and manipulative marketing. I'm sure many higher ups are seeing this as a raging success.

Yes, but McDonalds marketed this as being limited, so the two comparisons aren't really apt.

If you have a sub sandwich shop, it should be expected you always have bread to make a sandwich.

I agree it's crappy for customers to yell at simple employees who had no control over how few packets of sauce they got. The guy making fries or ringing up an order isn't the one dealing with Corporate and what they send the store.

pikablu

The clemson sc mcdonalds sold theirs at 12pm despite having a sign outside saying the event starts at 2.

Not only that but they told 1 customer to pay in advance and come back at 2. When he came back at 1 he overheard they were gone.

They also said they only had 20 packets..

On one hand it's funny this hysteria over the sauce, but unfortunately I can't help but think of all the verbal abuse flung at store employees by a bunch of unhappy nerds.

Even YouTuber Binging with Babish said the sauce was ok when he got a real sample to recreate it.

Don't know what people were expecting. It's McDonald's quality sauce. I guess because Rick and Morty hyping it up + few people remember the taste of it had people's expectations to be too high.

Anybody able to get a few extra? I'd gladly paypal you some bucks for your troubles!

Send me a PM :)

Are you serious?
Is if intended to be a collectors item for you?
Because if it's for consumption, I'm 100% sure you can find or even make better versions for less money.

Possibly even the original in a few months.

Anybody able to get a few extra? I'd gladly paypal you some bucks for your troubles!

Send me a PM :)
I take it you haven't been reading...

I drove by the only one doing sauce (which happen to be down the street where I live) to see the line wrapped around the building an hour before 2. What a clusterfuck.
I then opted for Wendy's across the street.

Biske

Yes, but McDonalds marketed this as being limited, so the two comparisons aren't really apt.

If you have a sub sandwich shop, it should be expected you always have bread to make a sandwich.

I agree it's crappy for customers to yell at simple employees who had no control over how few packets of sauce they got. The guy making fries or ringing up an order isn't the one dealing with Corporate and what they send the store.

There is limited and then "we have 20 1 ounce sauce packets per store" when people imagine limited that dont mean "maybe 20 people will be able to get this" especially when the marketing is "come on down on saturday and try this sauce!!!! *If you come 5 hours early, line up and are one of the first 20 in line

Its reasonable to think that if you were one of a couple hundred people to show up on that day, you'd get to try the sauce as advertised.

As much as people start theories about artificial scarcity, this was it to the T.

Like others have said this is just a version of a common sauce, it's not like its rocket surgery and they could literally only make such a small quantity with weeks of scientists working round the clock.

It's amazing to see such soulless corporate calculations targeted at fans of such a show.

Fucking brilliant in ways, but also absurd.

The bread thing, there's certain frozen sticks of bread we'd get from whatever distributor and we ran out, which sucks and you'd get why people would pop into subway and not be able to get a sandwhich. But they'd get told the situation, freak out, and then stand there like "what are you going to do to fix it" in that "IM THE CUSTOMER!!!" entitled way. And its like.... "uh nothing, we literally can't get a shipment in now"

Zubz

Banned
Even YouTuber Binging with Babish said the sauce was ok when he got a real sample to recreate it.

Don't know what people were expecting. It's McDonald's quality sauce. I guess because Rick and Morty hyping it up + few people remember the taste of it had people's expectations to be too high.

Yup. It's not the easiest thing, but you can definitely bootleg the sauce & the nuggets thanks to BWB. I kind of want to do that myself, but with that Himalayan Ketchup he made. Now that sounded good.

I guess it depends on your location, but hot mustard has been back to most McDonald's for over a year.

Oh shit, I've been living an aimless lie of a life apparently.

I really don't like McD's much but the nuggets are good and that sauce is awesome.

My wife will be thrilled. Here's hoping they have it here in SoCAl.

Spent over an hour driving to three locations for this damn sauce.

And no luck! -___-

I bought some Sriracha Mac Sauce to make the trip feel less worthless.

Czarcasm

Over here in Vancouver WA, there were about 40 or so people lined up, found out that they started giving the sauce at 11:00, only 17 packs. Complete waste of time.

Juice

This was such a fucking crock. Only store in the Ann Arbor area had 200-300 people in line at 2pm and they had already sold/allocated their 35 measly packets.

A few folks walked out with them and they announced they'd be hocking them on eBay (looks like prices are 800-1500 per packet now)

McDonald's can't do anything right. People were livid. Some drove a long way too

psychotron

Checked with my local McDonalds in Poughkeepsie the day before. Was told they have exactly 30 and it’s first come first serve. Then I went there today just to see. Inside was packed so I went to the drive through and was told they had 20. I said screw that and started leaving, only to hear an employee tell the line they had 17.

Employees must have been posting that shit on eBay from inside the store lol.

Top Bottom