• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Next Xbox AND PS4 at E3 2012

lefantome

spring 2013 all the three consoles.

if they wii u will be delayed, i hope it won't be as I want to see it falling behind price dropped 360 and ps3

I believe that MCV guy over Patcher, though. I don't think MS and Sony would want to give Nintendo a 1 year lead, so 2012/13 makes sense.

If Wii U is as close technically to PS3/360 as it seems, I doubt they're worried. Besides they'll have low prices and huge libraries to sell on just fine for a good while.

It will be $149 360 with countless games vs 299 or 399 Wii U with a limited library.

Lets assume Wii U is 50% more powerful, it will take 2-3 years for that to start to matter in the hardware sales charts.

Log4Girlz

If Wii U is as close technically to PS3/360 as it seems, I doubt they're worried. Besides they'll have low prices and huge libraries to sell on just fine for a good while.

It will be $149 360 with countless games vs 299 or 399 Wii U with a limited library.

Lets assume Wii U is 50% more powerful, it will take 2-3 years for that to start to matter in the hardware sales charts.

Yeah, there's no way an underpowered system with a gimmicky controller is going to beat Sony or Microsoft. They have nothing to worry about.

monome

Frankly, I think they outdid it with KZ2 & 3.

Right, you played those games on the PS3 some guy made a crazy OP about, after he had bathed it in unicorn blood and made it run the better (but hidden!) game code Sony did not want its regular customers to enjoy.

Yeah, there's no way an underpowered system with a gimmicky controller is going to beat Sony or Microsoft. They have nothing to worry about.

Well, betting on Nintendo is pretty safe but damn me if WiiU gains traction with hardcores.

Well, betting on Nintendo is pretty safe but damn me if WiiU gains traction with hardcores.

After 3DS I'm done underestimating Nintendo. They can turn anything around now. Personally I think 3DS from a design standpoint is far worse than Wii U, but no matter the concept of their hardware they'll always manage to make worthy games for it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
An opionion I'm agree with:

At the moment, both Xbox 360 and PS3 are in the back-half of their extended cycles, which is exactly where Sony and Microsoft want to keep them for as long as they possibly can. These are the gravy years. The console business’s golden rule? Don’t piss in the gravy.

To get an idea of what can happen when you announce a new console before its predecessor has started to properly decline, take a look at the switch-over between Xbox and Xbox 360. Xbox was always designed to make a loss. It was a base investment by Microsoft, a multi-billion dollar risk to gain a foothold in Sony’s market. Microsoft went into reveal mode at E3 2005, pushed out Xbox 360 while the Xbox business was still active and essentially killed the former. This was a process by design to get a jump on PS3, but it illustrates just how severely a step forward can impact an existing console business. The chances of Microsoft making a serious announcement of a new console – as in unveiling anything at its E3 press conference – unless it were readying a release in the following months are slim. Yes, figures are down overall, but 360 itself is still very strong. Given the current vigour of Xbox 360 software sales and the cheapness of the hardware, it seems unlikely Microsoft is ready to move on.

IrishNinja

E3 2012 = E3 1995?

Gamepro_June_1995.JPG

:)

aw, i wish this next gen would get a magical cover like that.

royalan

An opionion I'm agree with:

I think the problem with the comparison to the original Xbox is that the original Xbox had pretty much zero casual audience appeal. After 4 years pretty much everyone who wanted an Xbox had one. That's why support for the Xbox died when the 360 was launched. It was a good time to move on.

The 360, however, has loads of casual appeal. This is the audience that buys a console in the latter half of its life. And, as the PS2 has illustrated, this is the same audience that will continue to support a console in droves well after the successor has been released.

The 360 is going to continue selling regardless. Despite the CES disappointment, I still think it's very feasible for MS to launch the next Xbox sooner rather than later. There are positives to sustaining that forward momentum, not giving Nintendo too much time alone, and definitely not putting themselves in a position to have to go directly against a recovered Sony.

But eh, I'm no analyst.

Could it be possible that Sony wants to return the favor and get a jump on MS this time around?

There were rumours out that Sony was in fact pushing to at least prevent Microsoft from getting the head start again. I don't think they'd be able to get as large of a head start as the 360 had (even if the PS3 did a fairly good job of closing that gap until 360 exploded after Kinect's launch), but I think it's a safe bet that Sony's execs do not want to be caught with their pants down for a year again after Microsoft launches.

I think the problem with the comparison to the original Xbox is that the original Xbox had pretty much zero casual audience appeal. After 4 years pretty much everyone who wanted an Xbox had one. That's why support for the Xbox died when the 360 was launched. It was a good time to move on.

No, you're not fully informed.

The first Xbox was killed by Microsoft. It was built on a faulty hardware model. Microsoft did not own the IP of the CPU and GPU. Therefore, they were basically at the mercy of Intel and Nvidia for how much the chips cost (they went to arbitration with Nvidia at one point). At some point MS realized the Xbox was an unsalvageable money pit. When they launched 360, they essentially and literally discontinued the OG Xbox at the same time. That is why Xbox died incredibly quickly.

Xbox 360, MS made sure that they owned the CPU/GPU IP. They can fab them wherever they want, and shop around for the best deal. Prices will drop normally for 360 CPU/GPU throughout it's life, as any other console. Therefore it will likely have a long tail more akin to the PS2, as Microsoft will likely not kill it off upon introduction of it's successor.

This info is in Takehashi's Xbox book.

Most people probably dont understand the underlying reasons Microsoft wanted to cut ties with the Xbox 1 so quickly.

Dipswitch

The other problem with this comparison was the fact that MS deliberately put a bullet in the head of the original Xbox itself. They were hemorrhaging money producing that unit due to the fact that they didn't own the processor design (And possibly the GPU design either). So they were likely still paying Intel an exorbitant amount of money for each CPU at the end of it's run. They'd already sued Nvidia, presumably because they were also putting the squeeze on them for chip costs/royalties. In short, they were never going to make money on that box and as the price reduced, their losses were only going to mount. So they killed it.

EDIT: And beaten

Could it be possible that Sony wants to return the favor and get a jump on MS this time around?

They might want to, but they're not going to get the chance. Sony is absolutely, 100% not releasing the PS4 in 2012 and I can't imagine Microsoft giving them 2013 to themselves.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Someone did seemingly ask Hirai at CES about a successor system, but his response was unsurprisingly uninformative. 10 year life span, yadda yadda.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...station-3-has-more-life-on-store-shelves.html

Though he did make the same point as Andrew House did about cloud-based streaming not being ready to serve as the total foundation for home gaming.

Any new PlayStation will remain a standalone device, Hirai, Sony’s executive deputy president, said at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Networks can’t handle full game downloads, he said.

“It’s very important that we continue to have a dedicated home-based console,” Hirai said. “Relying solely on networks to deliver content is unfortunately just not possible. It’s still very difficult to have consumers download 50 gigabytes of data or more.”

Chittagong

Gold Member
Someone did seemingly ask Hirai at CES about a successor system, but his response was unsurprisingly uninformative. 10 year life span, yadda yadda.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...station-3-has-more-life-on-store-shelves.html

Though he did make the same point as Andrew House did about cloud-based streaming not being ready to serve as the total foundation for home gaming.

LOL. I guess Steam is blocked at Sony corporate computers and they've never heard of this World of Warcraft thing where a handful of people download a few megabyte install.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
LOL. I guess Steam is blocked at Sony corporate computers and they've never heard of this World of Warcraft thing where a handful of people download a few megabyte install.

For Sony's business it doesn't make sense.

I mean, Vita (and maybe even PS4), have full network stores, but they can't rely on them entirely. They want to sell these things in lots of countries where it isn't really feasible...where discs are needed to deliver content. And probably with PS4, if we're looking at 25/50GB+ games, it may not be feasible or particularly convenient for many even in 'our' parts of the world. That's what he means really.

They're probably just looking at the reports that show that not all PS3's are connected to the internet. So it wouldn't make sense for them to rely solely on downloads when that would cut off some of their consumers.

Top Bottom