• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor Warfighter - October. Danger Close. Frostbite 2.0

NinjaBoiX

Not sure if this is would fit your description, but Resident Evil 4 is one of the few shooters I've played where every single enemy feels relevant and worth paying attention to. Brilliant, well-paced and varied encounter design throughout the whole thing. Maybe check that out.
Is Resi 4 Move compatible?

BigDes

I liked MoH

It did have some problems like making some guys invincible so the next scripted sequence could happen.

But it also had set pieces that because of the quieter demeanour (best way I can think of describing it really) that the game had felt like they were important.

The last stand at the bottom of the hill while a whole battalion comes charging at you was one of the best sequences in modern shooters

Massa

That is not entirely accurate sir, I fixed it up for you.

wt3ph.jpg

Haha, that's perfect.

Is Resi 4 Move compatible?

Nope, only RE5 is.

Raoh

I liked MoH. MP wise I found it to be really good but not as good as Bad Company 2 so I went back to BC2,

Out of the many shooters out there MoH had one of the more enjoyable single player experiences.

Cornbread78

I really like teh intensity of MoH.

I just hope to God that they fix the MP this time around, so you can't snipe from one side of teh map to the other and make it a spawn whoring, nightmarish experience again...

Soo looking forward to this. SP had a good story and I loved the level transitions. The MP in the first wasn't total shit, as long as the MP for this next installment isn't like 24 ppl fighting in my bathroom It could be quite fun.

For those talking about fewer and more dynamic AI I would so love this. The modern military shooter designers need to start taking design ideals from games like Halo or Gears. These two group their enemies using a similar unit structure to units in RTS games and have set unique AI behaviors between each enemy unit type which allow for more dynamic combat scenarios/outcomes.

Halo and Gears are the only 2 shooters that I can think of that feature this hierarchy to their enemy units(the first Bad Company kinda touched on it but abandoned it for the COD hallway design for their next 2 releases). I've always though that military FPS's would be much better if they would employ more RTS type aspects to their combat design.

Soo looking forward to this. SP had a good story and I loved the level transitions. The MP in the first wasn't total shit, as long as the MP for this next installment isn't like 24 ppl fighting in my bathroom It could be quite fun.

For those talking about fewer and more dynamic AI I would so love this. The modern military shooter designers need to start taking design ideals from games like Halo or Gears. These two group their enemies using a similar unit structure to units in RTS games and have set unique AI behaviors between each enemy unit type which allow for more dynamic combat scenarios/outcomes.

Halo and Gears are the only 2 shooters that I can think of that feature this hierarchy to their enemy units(the first Bad Company kinda touched on it but abandoned it for the COD hallway design for their next 2 releases). I've always though that military FPS's would be much better if they would employ more RTS type aspects to their combat design.

The problem with hierarchical enemy design is that in a modern military setting where you're the more powerful force, for the most part, you're going to be fighting dudes with guns and sometimes maybe a guy with a lot of body armour.

I really like teh intensity of MoH.

I just hope to God that they fix the MP this time around, so you can't snipe from one side of teh map to the other and make it a spawn whoring, nightmarish experience again...
I think you can safely throw everything out the window concerning the multiplayer since Danger Close is handling it instead of DICE. Who knows what it will be like, but I'm pretty sure it won't carry over much, if anything, from the last game.

I would expect it to be a lot more like the single-player for one thing. I also think there's a decent shot for co-op of some sort.

Quite a while back I was talking to one of the developers and rattled off my wish list for the sequel in terms of setting and story and continuing with the JSOC SMU Tier 1 theme, hoping for a longer, somewhat less linear/corridor-based campaign, the addition of co-op, and the move to Frostbite 2.0. Without addressing any specific hope, he said I was going to be very happy with the sequel. I guess we'll start finding out the specifics soon enough...

The problem with hierarchical enemy design is that in a modern military setting where you're the more powerful force, for the most part, you're going to be fighting dudes with guns and sometimes maybe a guy with a lot of body armour.

Its only an issue if they maintain the "hallway" design of the current military FPS. If you open the play space up it'll allow designers to bring more variety with vehicles and such.

DICE was on the right track with the Bad Company 1 campaign. All they needed to do was tier and improve the AI.

TheSoed

I may be in the minority but I adored Medal of Honor: Airborne. I thought the campaign in that was fantastic, the fully open levels allowed for all sorts of playstyles. I've probably replayed the first level in that game well over 20 times, just trying out different ways to attack the same objective.

Granted, the game closed itself off little by little as the game went on, but that first level is still unmatched in freedom as far as how you want to play. The reboot was disappointing to me because it went back to fully linear gameplay. I hoped they would move forward, not back.

Its only an issue if they maintain the "hallway" design of the current military FPS. If you open the play space up it'll allow designers to bring more variety with vehicles and such.

DICE was on the right track with the Bad Company 1 campaign. All they needed to do was tier and improve the AI.
YES. It was almost like Halo in terms of big open areas and vehicles, but of course in a modern day military setting. Such a great game. Shame they abandoned that model in BC2 and of course BF3. Unfortunately I don't see Danger Close doing anything like that any time soon even though it would differentiate it from other shooters these days.

YES. It was almost like Halo in terms of big open areas and vehicles, but of course in a modern day military setting. Such a great game. Shame they abandoned that model in BC2 and of course BF3. Unfortunately I don't see Danger Close doing anything like that any time soon even though it would differentiate it from other shooters these days.
Crysis (1) levels of freedom w/MoH's tone would be amazing.

Omega

Banned
No dice? Nice. Assume they are working on the next BF.

I really hope this isn't the case. BF3 hasn't even been out a year yet. It's still the best multiplayer shooter this generation and actually has a developer who has REAL post-launch support. (Not this other "post launch" support developers have which is just releasing DLC they created months ago")

Then again..now that I think about it, BF has been a yearly rehash just like CoD (although CoD gets all the sh*t because it sells the most)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really hope this isn't the case. BF3 hasn't even been out a year yet. It's still the best multiplayer shooter this generation and actually has a developer who has REAL post-launch support. (Not this other "post launch" support developers have which is just releasing DLC they created months ago")

That's not what the community is saying right now lol.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
It will be real interesting to see how closes it plays to MOH and if it plays any closer to COD. I just really did not like the maps in MOH to be honest. Too straight forward.

Top Bottom