• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Numbers - 9/13-9/19: OMFG @ Pokemon Emerald

human5892

Queen of Denmark
How players communicate with each other has been key to the Pokemon games - it is the backbone of all Pokemon game designs. I feel that the handheld systems work better than the home-based consoles. It's certainly possible to come up with concepts for home-based consoles, but we might then have to change the core of the game.
The funny thing is that if Nintendo would've given the GameCube decent online support, this would've been easily possible.

Alcibiades

human5892 said:
The funny thing is that if Nintendo would've given the GameCube decent online support, this would've been easily possible.
the funny thing is you assume this, when a more accurate statement would be "with online support this would've been possible to a tiny minority of gamers, especially not Pokemon's primary target demographic."

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
human5892 said:
I also think a lot of the fun is in battling someone that's sitting right next to you. Is Pokemon's target audience really going to enjoy battling some random person hundreds of miles away as they would someone next to them, that they can communicate with, mock and enjoy the resulting bragging rights with? I think the same goes for a lot of other games people really want to go online, like SSB. Playing alone in a room with some other human players somewhere else in the world might be better than nothing, but it's not better than playing with a couple buddies that are sitting on the same couch. So... I think a significant appeal of the portable nature of the main Pokemon series is that the gameplay is complemented by the real life interaction that occurs around it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
efralope said:
the funny thing is you assume this, when a more accurate statement would be "with online support this would've been possible to a tiny minority of gamers, especially not Pokemon's primary target demographic."
Qualifier or not, it'd still be possible. :p Also, that statement makes me wonder just how many Pokemon players carry link cables around with them in order to take full advantage of the game's features. Although we'll never know, the number might not be much higher than, say, the number of people on Xbox Live...

Dan said:
I also think a lot of the fun is in battling someone that's sitting right next to you. Is Pokemon's target audience really going to enjoy battling some random person hundreds of miles away as they would someone next to them, that they can communicate with, mock and enjoy the resulting bragging rights with? I think the same goes for a lot of other games people really want to go online, like SSB. Playing alone in a room with some other human players somewhere else in the world might be better than nothing, but it's not better than playing with a couple buddies that are sitting on the same couch. So... I think a significant appeal of the portable nature of the main Pokemon series is that the gameplay is complemented by the real life interaction that occurs around it.
All valid points, but the same could be said of any game that's played online; the fact is that a console version of Pokemon could retain at least some of what the GB games have if it was online, and that's better than nothing.

Top Bottom