• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
markatisu said:
Well didn't they just officially blow their load with the FFXIII demo? If I remember that was the last of the big AAA games in the Spring onslaught of software

There are a few RPGs to be released like Tales of Versperia, Rorona no Atelier, End of Eternity.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
neojubei said:
There are a few RPGs to be released like Tales of Versperia, Rorona no Atelier, End of Eternity.

I don't believe Atelier is considered a big seller and the other two aren't slated until Fall IIRC.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
schuelma said:
I don't believe Atelier is considered a big seller and the other two aren't slated until Fall IIRC.

True. And FF13 wont be released until Winter 2009, so yea the hardware sales probably drop after a week or two.

Unless we get an E3 price cut, then yeh sales will stagnate until holiday season...but, we should be discussing whether the PS3's titles (FFXIII, GT5 if it hits, + other RPG's) are capable of propelling PS3 YTD ahead of the Wii for all of 09. Lets face it, if FFXIII hits, thats a few hundred k units, and as with GT5...Id say it has a shot.

schuelma

pseudocaesar said:
..but, we should be discussing whether the PS3's titles (FFXIII, GT5 if it hits, + other RPG's) are capable of propelling PS3 YTD ahead of the Wii for all of 09. Lets face it, if FFXIII hits, thats a few hundred k units, and as with GT5...Id say it has a shot.

I think that is pretty doubtful given what the Wii has coming the rest of the year.

schuelma said:
I think that is pretty doubtful given what the Wii has coming the rest of the year.

What does it have? That will sell hardware that is. Wii Sports Resorts probably will sell gangbusters but not move a load of hardware...why would it really.

schuelma

pseudocaesar said:
What does it have? That will sell hardware that is. Wii Sports Resorts probably will sell gangbusters but not move a load of hardware...why would it really.

Well for starters, it has Sports Resort and MH Tri coming in the next 2-3 months. Those two releases could easily be bigger than anything released on PS3 outside of FF13 if it hits.

markatisu

pseudocaesar said:

Considering Iwata has said twice now in the last 2 months the situation in Japan is dre I highly doubt they will let too much more time go by and place all their hopes on Wii Sports Resort as they did Animal Crossing and Wii Music

But just to note the Wii has

Wii Sports Resort
Sin and Punishment 2
Monster Hunter 3

The last one should move some hardware since there are most likely psp owners who might not have gotten a Wii yet

markatisu said:
Considering Iwata has said twice now in the last 2 months the situation in Japan is dre I highly doubt they will let too much more time go by and place all their hopes on Wii Sports Resort as they did Animal Crossing and Wii Music

But just to note the Wii has

Wii Sports Resort
Sin and Punishment 2
Monster Hunter 3

The last one should move some hardware since there are most likely psp owners who might not have gotten a Wii yet

Why would a PSP owner buy a Wii for Monster Hunter?

We all know what's coming, and I'm fairly certain they do too.

pseudocaesar said:

It has MHG and MH3. WSR will probably sell HW though not a huge % increase.

EDIT: Beaten twice.

schuelma said:
Well for starters, it has Sports Resort and MH Tri coming in the next 2-3 months. Those two releases could easily be bigger than anything released on PS3 outside of FF13 if it hits.

Can GT5 be as big? If it hits this year that is.

jeremy1456

AranhaHunter said:
Can GT5 be as big? If it hits this year that is.

Didn't Gran Turismo 4 sell less than 1.5 million copies?

It remains to be seen if Monster Hunter 3 will sell like the portable or console titles, but I'm pretty sure Sports Resort will sell circles around it. Heck, Sports Resort will probably be second only to Dragon Quest IX this year.

Theoretically GT5 could match the two in sales, but I would be a little surprised if it did.

jeremy1456

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Maybe they don't want to wait til 2010.

Also, the Wii version will probably have better loading times. Did the PSP versions of the previous Monster Hunters even have online?

jeremy1456

pseudocaesar said:

Tales of Graces, Samurai Warriors III, besides the obvious choices of course.

Other stuff such as Kizuna and Arc Rise Fantasia, and Crystal Bearers have the potential to sell decently.

EDIT: Oh, and Pikmin 3 will probably sell well too. I'm guessing they're going to gear that as their big first party holiday title in Japan.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

when you have a fanbase of millions, you have to take into account that some of them are simply casual/mainstream gamers. I'm not sure if MHF3 is as heavily rumored on japanese game sites as it is here (I think IGN even has it listed), but I believe its safe to assume that a sizable amount of MH fans don't think/know if MH3 will go to psp.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This new PMD that came of nowhere seems to be off to a meh start. Was it a single game?

Maybe it caught customers by surprise too, and it will have bigger legs?

pseudocaesar said:
What was the PS2 install base at the time of GT4, and also for FFX?

No clue, but GT3 sold slighty more with a smaller install base. GT3 sold 1.4m (vs 1.06m for GT4), there was no prologue though. The GT 2001 concept sold 334.218

cvxfreak

I think it needs to be restated that this Pokemon Mystery Dungeon isn't the third game in the series; it's more akin to an expansion of the PMD released in 2007.

klee123

jeremy1456 said:
Okay, replace loading times with better graphics then.

You're missing the point to why the MH series is popular in Japan nowadays and why the franchise didn't take off on the PS2 in the first place.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
This new PMD that came of nowhere seems to be off to a meh start. Was it a single game?

Maybe it caught customers by surprise too, and it will have bigger legs?

Meh confirmed, I posted some comparison data earlier:
Comparison data for the mans:
Pokemon MD1 (DS) had 134k week one, GBA had 121k week one (total 255k week one).
Pokemon MD2 opened to 583k week one.
(Both finished at ~1.5 million)

Pokemon RuSa opened to 1.25 million week one, Emerald to 643k week one (~1/2th)
Pokemon DP opened to 1.5 million week one, Platinum to 967k week one (~2/3rds).

So what we can see is that PMD did not grow from 1 to 2, that it became substantially more frontloaded, that PMD2.5 is smaller compared to PMD2 than either of the recent Pokemon.5 games is compared to their mainline games.

all in all meh

schuelma

klee123 said:
You're missing the point to why the MH series is popular in Japan nowadays and why the franchise didn't take off on the PS2 in the first place.

Again, we have no idea how well a console version can do since the last one came out before the ridiculous explosion in popularity.

Top Bottom