• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyone with any prior Disgaea numbers? I'd like to know how 3 did against the other games.

Yoboman said:
There's nothing emo about what you described (even though that's not what Haruhi is about), STOP USING THAT WORD TO DESCRIBE EVERYTHING
Would you have preferred "angsty"? The word "melancholy" gave me that impression and given that the show's titular character is a girl in high school, the rest of my mental image of what the show was about drew itself. I also asked if my initial assumption was correct, which it wasn't.

Jiggy

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, huh? Sounds kind of emo. Judging from the fact that she's wearing a Japanese schoolgirl uniform, would I be right in saying that the series chronicles this girl's love life, trials and tribulations against the backdrop of her high school?
If I had to come up with a summary, I think this is about the briefest I could get without feeling like I'm excluding anything vital (edit: though it's worth saying I'm admittedly pretty wordy!):

Haruhi is bored with the standard life and wants to find the fantastic and supernatural elements of the world, so she starts a club with four other members (including Kyon, the narrator) in order to find those things. The three members other than Kyon individually reveal to him that they're a time traveler, an esper, and an alien-created android interface, each low-ranking members of larger organizations that have an interest in spying on Haruhi for different reasons mostly centering around Haruhi herself unknowingly possessing the power of a god to reshape the universe, even subconsciously. (They can't reveal their identities to her because if they did, she might come to believe that aliens, etc. were more normal than she expected, which in turn would recreate the universe in a way that they would become normal.) Their intention is to prevent her from realizing the full potential of her ability, which will preserve the current world rather than having her create a new and unknown world. To that end, they have to find a way to ensure that Haruhi enjoys her seemingly-regular life enough so that the current physics, world, etc. will stay as they are--and entertaining her is a challenge since she's openly bored with "regular " reality. Kyon is the only one with close connections to all four of the other main characters, so the story follows him around as he observes the motivations and actions of everybody else. I think that covers it.

...Yeah, the writer is pretty horrible with titles. Even putting aside all that spoiler storyline summary stuff, it's more of a comedy and philosophy story than anything else. And even putting that aside, Haruhi's still not a melancholic character in the first place outside of a couple episodes--actually I'd describe her as boisterous, self-assured, and utterly incorrigible. (And, on a more personal note, as my favorite character ever, anywhere, from anything. >_>)

Provider

Jiggy37 said:
Haruhi is bored with the standard life and wants to find the fantastic and supernatural elements of the world, so she starts a club with four other members (including Kyon, the narrator) in order to find those things. The three members other than Kyon individually reveal to him that they're a time traveler, an esper, and an alien-created android interface, each low-ranking members of larger organizations that have an interest in spying on Haruhi for different reasons mostly centering around Haruhi herself unknowingly possessing the power of a god to reshape the universe, even subconsciously. (They can't reveal their identities to her because if they did, she might come to believe that aliens, etc. were more normal than she expected, which in turn would recreate the universe in a way that they would become normal.) Their intention is to prevent her from realizing the full potential of her ability, which will preserve the current world rather than having her create a new and unknown world. To that end, they have to find a way to ensure that Haruhi enjoys her seemingly-regular life enough so that the current physics, world, etc. will stay as they are--and entertaining her is a challenge since she's openly bored with "regular " reality. Kyon is the only one with close connections to all four of the other main characters, so the story follows him around as he observes the motivations and actions of everybody else. I think that covers it.

Great summary. If someone is interested in watching the anime, don't read the spoiler tagged text, just watch it. even if you end up not linking it, it's something you shouldn't miss.

On topic and following with the stating the obvious feeling of media-create sales threat:
Great sales for smash. SMG NOooooooooooooooOO!1.

Vinnk

Can the Haruhi Suzumiya stuff be kept in off topic unless it deals with sales of the games based on it?

Jammy

Banned
SSBB numbers are insane. The game could have probably done near a million had the supply been there. It deserves it too. People can bitch all the want about Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Party 8, etc., but SSBB has earned its right to have these huge sales.

THIS is the single game that reminds us that Nintendo still knows how to appeal to its own fans and the core gaming audience on the whole.

1,000,000 should be surpassed next week, suffice to say. o_O at what Brawl will sell like in N.A.

diddlyD

Banned
not too surprised by smash brothers, judging by the threads about it around here, neogaf alone imported about 200,000 copies

dude

dude
What do you even do in a Haruhi game? I really hope it's not dancing. I still don't get the love for that ass of a show.

Also, Smash:D

Jammy

Banned
Sharp said:
Unlikely. But game quality != game sales, unfortunately.

Can you even say that in this case?

Both games will be million-sellers in Japan alone. Both will go on to sell... what... over six million with ease worldwide?

Jiggy37 said:
If I had to come up with a summary, I think this is about the briefest I could get without feeling like I'm excluding anything vital (edit: though it's worth saying I'm admittedly pretty wordy!):

...Yeah, the writer is pretty horrible with titles. Even putting aside all that spoiler storyline summary stuff, it's more of a comedy and philosophy story than anything else. And even putting that aside, Haruhi's still not a melancholic character in the first place outside of a couple episodes--actually I'd describe her as boisterous, self-assured, and utterly incorrigible. (And, on a more personal note, as my favorite character ever, anywhere, from anything. >_>)
Which explains everything quite well.

So, how well do anime games of this type typically sell? Does it depend on the size of the fanbase or do they tend to sell to the same audience?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Faceless Master said:
smash = fuckawesome
dmc4 = smokin stylish

ASSASSIN'S CREED!!!

so does anyone know how well uncharted did on it's first week in japan?

17K I think?

Verve

Vinnk said:
Can the Haruhi Suzumiya stuff be kept in off topic unless it deals with sales of the games based on it?

This.

Kandinsky said:
Well according to gaf, smash bros is a casual game......

and please don't start this again. it was a horrible, disgusting read of stupidity in last weeks thread <.<

Busaiku

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Which explains everything quite well.

So, how well do anime games of this type typically sell? Does it depend on the size of the fanbase or do they tend to sell to the same audience?
Lucky Star did good last week (71k debut), and the Haruhi PSP game sold well for a PSP game (I think it did over 100k? Haven't kept up with it though, so I can't say).

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Smash sales are phenomenal. Good to see.

Jiggy, thanks to that summary, I now have to definitely find a way to view this anime. It sounds really, really interesting. And I'm not even an anime fan.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
If nothing else, this is why you should watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:

Pheonix_Wright_Haruhi_Suzimiya_Look.jpg

And to get to that episode, you have to go through a little over half of the series.

Eteric Rice

SS4Gogita said:
If nothing else, this is why you should watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:

Pheonix_Wright_Haruhi_Suzimiya_Look.jpg

And to get to that episode, you have to go through a little over half of the series.

Wait, who copied who here? :O

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES!

Top Bottom