• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MisterHero said:
Galaxy seems to be ending in Japan. :(
Didn't someone post earlier in the thread that this week's SMG sales are actually higher than last week, despite the drop-off in overall ranking?

XiaNaphryz said:
Didn't someone post earlier in the thread that this week's SMG sales are actually higher than last week, despite the drop-off in overall ranking?

I'm pretty sure that was just a possibility, but there wasn't proof backing it up, at least not the last time I had saw said post.

Neomoto

So Snake is starring in a game that has pretty much sold more in it's first week than any Metal Gear game ever sold (LTD) in Japan (same goes for Sonic, but that happened on Brawl's first day lol).

You see? 3rd party
characters
can do well on Wii! :lol

domokunrox said:
SSBB to sell more then Halo 3, confirmed.
Pff. Like that would be so impressive for Brawl. Nintendo already has 9 games that did it this generation. ;) On a more serious note, Brawl will do crazy numbers worldwide, compared to Halo 3 or not, and it deserves all it's future sales. :)

DeaconKnowledge said:
Curse Nintendo for supporting their system!
I know you are joking but seriously. I think Nintendo should just trust 3rd party's and let them make the software that will attract a incredibly huge userbase.

... :lol

kswiston

jarrod said:
Wii's status and popularity brings up the sales potential of it's AAA games hugely, in a way N64 and GC never could really, and Brawl looks well placed to capitalize on that imo.

While I think Brawl is going to get a nice worldwide boost over Melee's 6M number, that statement really isn't true. Super Mario 64 outsold every game released for the Playstation worldwide, even though the PS1 had 3 times the userbase. Orcarina of Time was the best selling Zelda installment ever, even though N64 was not nearly as big as the previous two systems.

A larger userbase will increase how well a game will sell on average, but unless the total userbase is really small it doesn't really determine how well the most popular games will sell.

Vinci

Danish
kswiston said:
While I think Brawl is going to get a nice worldwide boost over Melee's 6M number, that statement really isn't true. Super Mario 64 outsold every game released for the Playstation worldwide, even though the PS1 had 3 times the userbase. Orcarina of Time was the best selling Zelda installment ever, even though N64 was not nearly as big as the previous two systems.

That only tells me that if the N64 had sold more units, those games' sales would've been nigh untouchable for all time. I think jarrod's point still makes total sense given that this is Nintendo's opportunity to take advantage of a huge userbase, which it really hasn't had the chance to do in a couple of generations.

Minsc

Gold Member
Soka said:
I'm pretty sure that was just a possibility, but there wasn't proof backing it up, at least not the last time I had saw said post.

Yup, I was just pointing out the discrepancies in the sales of the #10 spot (this week's is about 50% higher than last week's). I'm sure if someone looked at the Famitsu top 30 (50?), we'd be able to say one way or the other. Likely it did drop in # sold, but not as much as 10 spots in the rankings would normally lead one to believe.

d+pad

Random question: Is Family Ski coming to the States?

I kind of hate to admit it, but the game intrigues me...

Vinci

Danish
d+pad said:
Random question: Is Family Ski coming to the States?

I kind of hate to admit it, but the game intrigues me...

Why would you hate to admit it? It's a game. We play games. At least, I think we do. And if it's even remotely fun using the Balance Board, that's great as it might give incentive to other developers to bring out games that can use it.

Neomoto

Family Ski is the first 3rd party "non-game" (I'm pretty sure it's a real sports game aimed at non-gamers) since the DS and Wii came out I've been interested in.

pulga

Banned
Fuck yeah, go Brawl! I'm starting to regain faith in Japan, but it's hard to considering SMG's position on the charts. :(

d+pad

Vinci said:
Why would you hate to admit it? It's a game. We play games. At least, I think we do. And if it's even remotely fun using the Balance Board, that's great as it might give incentive to other developers to bring out games that can use it.

You got me there ;)

I previously thought the game looked too cute (or something like that), but when I watched a few vids of it in action last night, it looked like a blast.

Here's to hoping the game comes out in other regions shortly after Wii Fit is released (whenever that may be).

gogogow

Neomoto said:
So Snake is starring in a game that has pretty much sold more in it's first week than MGS Twin Snakes on Nintendo Gamecube ever sold (LTD) in Japan (same goes for Sonic, but that happened on Brawl's first day lol).

fixed

Impressive sales for SSBB indeed.

Neomoto said:
I know you are joking but seriously. I think Nintendo should just trust 3rd party's and let them make the software that will attract a incredibly huge userbase.

Trust third parties.....:lol :lol :lol :lol

Best Joke I've heard all day

ethelred

Liabe Brave said:
Cookie him up, then, because ethelred responded two posts later.

About AC sales, as Kurosaki Ichigo pointed out there's quite a big discrepancy between Famitsu and M-C; the former has it outselling the 360 version, the latter has it falling far short. Since we all agree that neither tracker is worse, just different, the truth is probably that the game sold about as well on both platforms. The absolute numbers are nothing to crow about, but I'm sure they'll make profit over localization and shipping costs. It's a very limited win for Ubisoft, but still a W. (Contrast it with Rally Revo to get a good baseline for "bomb".)

I'm not bitter. Hate to disappoint you.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
I knew I was repeating that line a bit too much. But there were just so many dumb arguments...
Oh, I don't mean to make fun in any derogatory way. I actually agree with the sentiment. :D

gogogow

felipeko said:
What he said was correct, no need to fix.
It's a straightout lie. What he said is not correct.

SSBB did not sell more copies than any MGS game LTD
MGS 2 and 3 sold more than 820.000 LTD in Japan.

But it definitely destroyed the sales of Nintendo Gamecube's version of MGS though.
The first week sales of that game was pathetic.

jarrod

Banned
gogogow said:
According to Famitsu, MGS2 did (832,719) but MGS3 didn't (819,807). Man, Snake Eater was close though. :lol

Do we have MC numbers for comparison actually?

botticus

gogogow said:
It's a straightout lie. What he said is not correct.

SSBB did not sell more copies than any MGS game LTD

But it definitely destroyed the sales of Nintendo Gamecube's version of MGS though.
The first week sales of that game was pathetic.
Joshua's database says no single SKU of MGS has exceeded 820k, but 2 and 3 do if you combine their numerous re-releases.

Though in theory, I suppose MGS3 has sold the necessary 200 copies over the last two years to break 820k.

gkryhewy

jarrod said:
According to Famitsu, MGS2 did (832,719) but MGS3 didn't (819,807). Man, Snake Eater was close though. :lol

Do we have MC numbers for comparison actually?

Oh snap, assumptions FTL.

Liabe Brave said:
Cookie him up, then, because ethelred responded two posts later.

I think you misread ethel's little zing there.

Shin Johnpv said:
Trust third parties.....:lol :lol :lol :lol

Best Joke I've heard all day

Yeah, I mean... no system has ever been successful on the back of third-party games, right?

Neomoto

gogogow said:
fixed

Impressive sales for SSBB indeed.
You didn't fixed anything since I was talking about the mainline Metal Gear entries in Japan. And since you said beneath that post that I was flat out lying.. I said "pretty much" for a reason you know. Or do you really make such a big deal out of 12k difference (MGS2 for example, even though that's Famitsu)? With such a high sell through and the difference between MC and Famitsu it's pretty much a moot point anyway. But whatever, can't believe I have to "defend" this.. :)

ethelred said:
I'm not bitter. Hate to disappoint you.
Maybe I just misread your tag. :D Seriously, I know you're not overinvested emotionally, but I don't think AltogetherAndrews is either. He's more likely to encrust his opinions with profanity, but your reality-based snark is flawlessly consistent. It would be totally disappointing if either of you started gushing positivity.

Not that you're always negative, but is it any wonder you praise Tactics Ogre? I say thee nay.

charlequin said:
I think you misread ethel's little zing there.
Don't think so. I took it as him mocking Uncharted's performance (or the Japanese audience, or both), just like Andrews was mocking AC's. Because it was so deadpan dry, I thought it worthy of the promised cookie.

donny2112

Famitsu Jan 21-27

1. WII Wii Fit 95674 / 1209300
2. PSP World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008: PES 2008 70313 / NEW
3. PS2 Lucky * Star: Ryouou Gakuen Outousai 61448 / NEW
4. NDS Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 53859 / 144652
5. WII Wii Sports 27938 / 2691876
6. NDS Mario Party DS 25980 / 1557094
7. PSP Yggdra Union 21989 / NEW
8. NDS Dorabase: Dramatic Stadium 21864 / 141229
9. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 15176 / 1584161
10. WII Wii Play 14058 / 2153142
11. WII Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 13481 / 487812
12. NDS Mario Kart DS 12761 / 2809087
13. NDS Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box 12701 / 726794
14. NDS Prince of Tennis: Driving Smash! Side King 11978 / NEW
15. WII Mario Party 8 9352 / 1163000
16. WII Super Mario Galaxy 9056 / 853017 (sales until Mario 64: 787K)
17. PS2 Yakuza 2 (BEST) 8492 / 111314
18. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 8466 / 821411
19. NDS Dragon Quest IV 7965 / 1157805
20. PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 7916 / 210189
21. NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 7909 / 223000
22. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 7743 / 4571995
23. NDS Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary 7740 / 161642
24. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 7494 / 5068831
25. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 7118 / 410006
26. PS2 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 7079 / 611734
27. PS3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 7075 / 65231
28. NDS Final Fantasy IV 6262 / 564895
29. NDS Observation Training 6054 / 771781
30. NDS Brain Training 2 5925 / 4828793

*. NDS Hijouguchi: Exit DS 5500 / NEW
*. PS3 Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights 5000 / NEW
*. NDS The Sims 2: Castaway 3000 / NEW
*. PS2 TOCA Race Driver 3 750 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Dec 24, 2007-Jan 6, 2008
Jan 7-13, 2008
Jan 14-20, 2008

test_account

XP-39C²
Seems that the new hardware numbers are up:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

Abit different from Famitsu, atleast on PS3 and Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

Holy crap at DS

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

DS Mini coming!

emergency.jpg

test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

What was Famitsu's numbers?

sphinx

the piano man
test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

Horrible numbers, all of them maybe except for the PSP.

.- Wii 94,473 in smash bros week?? Dragon quest swords did more for the Wii.
.- PS3 41,797 with 3 games on the top 10?? mediocre bump all together.
.- DS is dying faster than I predicted.
.- PS2 is dying as well.
.- Xbox 360 LOL.

PSP, o.k and steady.

dolemite

test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

Awesome numbers all around. Too bad the new games didn't bring in any new console owners.

Threi

notag
test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

THE KING IS DEAD

test_account said:

Wii 94,473
PSP 72,528
DS Lite 67,472
PS3 41,796
PS2 12,115
Xbox 360 6,060

WTF @ DS! Wii up is a good sign, PS3 is looking up though I doubt it'll last long.

New DS colours stat!

One could argue -- that if it weren't for said games that these hardware numbers would be a lot lower than they are. Which unfortunately is something we can't really test.

But comparatively, against January, for Feb to stay similar is a feat in itself and is somewhat indicative that these new releases may have helped.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Aaron Strife said:
sphinx: how is the DS "dying?" It did in 3 years what the PS2 took 7 years to do.
..what. How do those statements have any relevance to each other?

Jammy

Banned
Wii is doing great. It went up 20,000 over last week's numbers, and this IS the first week of February. When Dragon Quest Swords came out and Wii's numbers went over 100,000, the system was still heavily supply-constrained. Also, more than just DQS came out that week. I believe a Gundam game and others were released. Over 94,000 at this point in time is great. I think we're all spoiled by past DS numbers. Nintendo's doing this without new colors and many new releases, too.

Nintendo needs either to make some more DSlite colors, or to make some more DS games. I'm really surprised how little we know about upcoming DS games. Third parties have been making it on this system for the past half a year.

Could the inevitable NSMB2 and Brain Age 3 be in the works for Wii?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PSP has been trailing the DS for the recent weeks. I think this will push for more content, which is good news, cause PS3 will not satisfy our RPG cravings.

Now, if only they stopped making PORTS! Plus, we could play the game on the PS3 too:D

Sage00 said:
..what. How do those statements have any relevance to each other?

There seems to be this sentiment going around that the DS is failing now that the PSP is beating it in weekly hardware sales, despite its hardware base.

Read the : "this is the year the PSP takes over for games" comments popping up.

Arde5643

Jammy said:
Nintendo needs either to make some more DSlite colors, or to make some more DS games. I'm really surprised how little we know about upcoming DS games. Third parties have been making it on this system for the past half a year.
I think Nintendo is really focusing on the Wii right now - putting all their triple a teams into making software for Wii.

I think they're estimating they'll be doing a DS-like march software-wise with the Wii: the trek ahead will be successful and filled with both 1st and 3rd party games, but right now it's all 1st party endeavors to reach that long trek ahead.

dude

dude
The DS will return to the lead shortly, I really don't see it dying right now >.>

Also, the DS still has DQIX a head, saying it's dying is really overreacting.

Christopher

one week at 60,000 and we're calling for a saturation point/decline? The DS has plenty of steam left.

MY GOD what are they doing with those PSPs!?!

fresquito

Jammy said:
Wii is doing great. It went up 20,000 over last week's numbers, and this IS the first week of February. When Dragon Quest Swords came out and Wii's numbers went over 100,000, the system was still heavily supply-constrained. Also, more than just DQS came out that week. I believe a Gundam game and others were released. Over 94,000 at this point in time is great. I think we're all spoiled by past DS numbers. Nintendo's doing this without new colors and many new releases, too.

Could the inevitable NSMB2 and Brain Age 3 be in the works for Wii?
It's a great thing, because third parties were all crying how Nintendo was the only winner on the DS front. Now Nintendo let them do for half a year and what dio they do? Little to nothing.

No wonder why Nintendo games sell so well on Nintendo hardware. AT least S-E is putting some effort and Level 5 too. And that effort is paying back.

Top Bottom