• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

Innotech

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Jesus I want to smack everybody that owns a Wii and hasn't bought Galaxy.
I guess some people just cant stand MArio games. thats the only reason I can think of to avoid it.

Redd

Innotech said:
I guess some people just cant stand MArio games. thats the only reason I can think of to avoid it.

They must hate platformers because Mario Galaxy is that damn good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nothing really all that interesting versus the early Famitsu numbers. UC is lower in Media-Create, obviously, but I'm sure that'll even itself out over the next several weeks.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
TheGreatDave said:
Jesus I want to smack everybody that owns a Wii and hasn't bought Galaxy.

True. Good thing the rest of the world recognizes it's brilliance. I had once thought that SMG would easily break 1 million, but now it looks like a 50-50 chance. Hopefully (I can't believe I am saying this) wiifit can come to the rescue and float this title for a little while longer.

It seems like PS3 is having one of it's best software weeks yet. 4 titles in the top 30, HSG5 making it's way back to the chart, and Dynasty warriors might hit 500k. I wonder if it outsold the wii again.

And is it me, or does the Japanese gaming merket seem to be in a little depression right now?

mutsu

Segata Sanshiro said:
Uhh, it's another 50% drop. It's not good. The game is going to absolutely struggle to reach even 600k at this pace.

Holidays are coming up. 600K is going to be in the bags pretty easily. 1 million might be a bit tough though.

Schrade

Innotech said:
*raises hand*

Actually, it's not just Mario games I dislike.. I just don't like the Nintendo flavor of games and consoles at all. But that's neither here nor there. :)

Super Mario Galaxy might not be performing "up to snuff" but it's still doing respectable numbers.

Innotech

Banned
mutsu said:
40,000 in its 3rd week is definitely not a bad number.
its not a good number either.
If the game slow burns to 1 million though, its all good.
It actually might. the Wii userbase in Japan is a mysterious bunch.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So next week Shin Sangoku Musou 5 will pass Gundam Musou (268,000*) as the second best selling PS3 title leaving it only behind Hot Shots Golf 5 (363,000*).

*As of 11/11/07

cvxfreak

22K difference for UC between MC and Famitsu... not that I care too much, since I almost always use Famitsu for long term tracking anyway.

muramura said:
And is it me, or does the Japanese gaming merket seem to be in a little depression right now?

If you're just tuning in to our lovely M-C threads, here's the recap:

1) Console gaming in Japan is buggered.

We now return to our sales thread, already in progress.

mutsu

cvxfreak said:
22K difference for UC between MC and Famitsu... not that I care too much, since I almost always use Famitsu for long term tracking anyway.

Does both MC and Famitsu number include the bundle?

VerTiGo

Banned
Disappointed by Galaxy sales, yet impressed by Umbrella Chronicles debut... and in the end, nothing makes sense to me.

mutsu said:
40,000 in its 3rd week is definitely not a bad number.
Certainly not, but it doesn't bode well for a slow burn to a million. Hopefully, SMG will inherit some of the Pokemon Red/Green magic: crappy debut, but word of mouth propelling it to the heavens.

^^ Wow, that's a lot of metaphors for two sentences.

Segata Sanshiro said:
We'll see. I don't think it's as "in the bags" as some people seem to think.

seems like people are choosing to keep everything Wii in the bag rather than buy it as of late :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
msdstc said:
SOLID 2nd week numbers for DW6, maybe a ps3 turnaround started?

Well, remember that its first week number only included one day of sales.

goomba

Banned
The mario game milking has probably limited this games appeal

Super Paper Mario didnt come out long ago and dissapointed many.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Segata Sanshiro said:
That's true. The milking really fucked New Super Mario Bros in the face.

And Mario DS apparently.

And Mario Party 8.

:(

Grecco

goomba said:
The mario game milking has probably limited this games appeal

Super Paper Mario didnt come out long ago and dissapointed many.

Sure as hell didnt affect the Mario party genre.

Maybe rename SMG to Star Party featuring Mario

mutsu

Handheld gaming is really over Japan, that's all I can say.

People in Japan doesn't appreciate 3D platforming games anymore it seems.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Attack You said:
If you're just tuning in to our lovely M-C threads, here's the recap:

1) Console gaming in Japan is buggered.

We now return to our sales thread, already in progress.

Nah man, I check it almost every week. I'm talking about the industry as a whole, even the DS is down this year. It's still killing everything else, but there naven't been any crazy 2mil+ sellers for a while. I used to hate it when people said non-gamers were ruining the industry because it was kicking total ass last year, but now those undedicated fucks are turning into mini-game obsessed tools (read: MP8 will outsell SMG).

muramura said:
Nah man, I check it almost every week. I'm talking about the industry as a whole, even the DS is down this year. It's still killing everything else, but there naven't been any crazy 2mil+ sellers for a while. I used to hate it when people said non-gamers were ruining the industry because it was kicking total ass last year, but now those undedicated fucks are turning into mini-game obsessed tools (read: MP8 will outsell SMG).

Maybe it's the gameplay equivalent of ADD?

mutsu

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
No one answered my question about HS. Does the Japanese otaku typically shun new IPs? I'd have thought they'd be all over a new, high quality game.

Pretty much. Just look at Okami (probably not the best example, but is one).

Mar_ said:
Those SMG numbers... I'll never understand the Japanese for as long as I live.

First week numbers for Super Mario Galaxy...

Japan: 250,585
US: over 500,000

Population sizes...

Japan: 127,433,494
US: 302,854,000

First week sell-through...
Japan: 0.1966%
US: over 0.165%

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Attack You said:
Maybe it's the gameplay equivalent of ADD?

I'm not sure whether to say that this quote is utterly bullshit, or to petition Sony and Nintendo to sell rittalin with their systems, but then again SMG is the equivilant of video game crack, and no amount of ADD would stop a crackhead from losing focus on getting some rocks. ARGH.

edit. @^ wouldn't a better comparison be between installed user bases?

mutsu

Cheesemeister said:

Population sizes...

What about percentage based on install base of Wii?

DiddyBop

so PS3 beat the Wii for a 2nd week? good stuff. PSP still selling strong. Japan seems likes their gadgets small and sleek it seems,even though the original psp wasnt even that bad. PS3 will probably get a redesign when FFXIII is released. it will sell a ton in Japan.

Holy shit the Wii is already at 3.7M, I was thinking it's still at 2M or something. If SMG does not get a big holiday boost, then tradition console gaming as we know it is dead.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I wouldn't want to see Metal Gear Yahtzee outsell Metal Gear Solid 4, either.

:lol :lol

Cheesemeister said:

Population sizes...

Aren't you better than this?

Top Bottom