• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

BishopLamont said:
All consoles get a boost around this time every year. TV tuner or not the PSP would've done what it did this week.
If you mean purely the percentage boost, sure. If you mean the unit numbers, no. It didn't do this in 2005 or 2006.

Lobster said:
Err..360 is a console marketed for the western audience. How could you not expect Ps3 games and the console to sell more then the 360?

Dynasty Warriors 6 and Winning Eleven are on 360 as well...at this point in time, the 360's problem vs the PS3 isn't games, it's simply that Japanese gamers are ashamed to own it.

CorwinB

Frillen said:
Has PSP version ever been announced anyway?

No, never.

gt4.jpg

Miburou

If I buy the PSP GPS add-on, do I need to subscribe to something to get it to work? Or can I just buy the item and have it work immediately?

donny2112

schuelma said:
Anyone know how Killer 7 did in Japan? I remember people saying it did poorly, but anyone know how bad?

First week:
GCN - 4,512 (never charted again)
PS2 - 13,715 (28,583 by the end of 2005)

Thanks for the report, Vinnk! It would be amazing if PSP piracy is the main reason that hardware sales stay pretty good, as it seems to be based on your local checking. Also, the Mario Galaxy/Mario Party mind-switch is both incredibly frustrating and hilarious at the same time. At least we know that Mario can still sell games. Nintendo just has to make clear which game is the real Mario. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
kottila said:
No Metal Gear Solid? Hard to reach 1 mill in one day with out a substantial amount of preorders. Didn't you say once you could multiply the number of preorders with 10 000 to get an estimated amount of sales (don't remember if that was for the first day or the whole month)?

I think these numbers are from one store only. It might have been that the 10,000 multiplier have worked on some games, but i would assume that is just coincidence. I.e, World of Warcraft Lich King has 10 pre-orders. I can guarantee that this game will sell more than 100,000 copies, even on day 1. And as you mentioned, MSG 4 isnt on the list, it would mean that 0 copies would be sold hehe ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
First week:

Thanks for the report, Vinnk! It would be amazing if PSP piracy is the main reason that hardware sales stay pretty good, as it seems to be based on your local checking. Also, the Mario Galaxy/Mario Party mind-switch is both incredibly frustrating and hilarious at the same time. At least we know that Mario can still sell games. Nintendo just has to make clear which game is the real Mario. :lol

Well, I can guarantee No More Heroes will beat 32,000 units lifetime.

donny2112 said:
First week:
To set a ceiling on that GameCube value, we got the Famitsu 2005 Top 500, and the lowest game sold 15,244 units. Killer 7 GCN didn't make the list.

sakuragi

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Dynasty Warriors 6 and Winning Eleven are on 360 as well...at this point in time, the 360's problem vs the PS3 isn't games, it's simply that Japanese gamers are ashamed to own it.

Yup when you buy a 360 in Japan people in the stores stare at you with disgust, especially the sales guy because you are buying a gaijin system instead of your home made console. They also have to go to all the trouble of hiding the Amerikan console every time they have guests at home or relatives visiting.

It has nothing to do with the fact that the PS brand humps the shit out of the Xbox brand and that Sony is still relevant in Japan even with Nintendo's dominance. Not to forget the quality difference between both hardwares and also the inevitable release of FF13 on the PS3 which is a huge factor.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
To set a ceiling on that GameCube value, we got the Famitsu 2005 Top 500, and the lowest game sold 15,244 units. Killer 7 GCN didn't make the list.

Thanks, that's a good point! It's not just that it never charted again, but that we also have a pretty low threshold that it wasn't able to cross, too.

sakuragi said:
Yup when you buy a 360 in Japan people in the stores stare at you with disgust, especially the sales guy because you are buying a gaijin system instead of your home made console. They also have to go to all the trouble of hiding the Amerikan console every time they have guests at home or relatives visiting.

It has nothing to do with the fact that the PS brand humps the shit out of the Xbox brand and that Sony is still relevant in Japan even with Nintendo's dominance. Not to forget the quality difference between both hardwares and also the inevitable release of FF13 on the PS3 which is a huge factor.

This post was helpful in demonstrating just how many different mutually excusive totally fucking wrong reasons people can attribute the Xbox 360's performance in Japan to. Thanks!

sakuragi

Banned
charlequin said:
This post was helpful in demonstrating just how many different mutually excusive totally fucking wrong reasons people can attribute the Xbox 360's performance in Japan to. Thanks!

And this post is the prime example of whats fucking wrong with message board posts and the whole internet is general. Or at least 90% of the posts.

Here's a tip, if you disagree with anyone and say they are wrong, then at least have the courtesy to say WHY I am wrong AND give your opinion along with it. You know, to have an actual debate.

Dalthien

JoshuaJSlone said:
6,286 Killer7 (Capcom) (6/9/05) - through June 26/05

Ouch at those Killer 7 numbers. I know this is a Japan sales thread, but does anyone have any US Killer 7 numbers? I think I might, at home. I'll dig them up if no one else does today, just for a frame of reference on how the game needs to do to improve on its predecessor.

sakuragi said:
And this post is the prime example of whats fucking wrong with message board posts and the whole internet is general. Or at least 90% of the posts.

Here's a tip, if you disagree with anyone and say they are wrong, then at least have the courtesy to say WHY I am wrong AND give your opinion along with it. You know, to have an actual debate.

I know you weren't responding to me here, but I was simply challenging the assumption that the PS3 had a more appealing games lineup for Eastern tastes (at this point in time compared to 360). Aside from Hot Shots Golf and Resistance (which is a FPS, lol), all of the most popular PS3 games in Japan are on 360 as well or coming in the future with added content.

It's a similar situation to the 360 in Spain and Germany currently - if you look at the PAL charts, people are buying PS3s over the 360 for multiplatform games (COD4, AC, PES, FIFA, DIRT, etc) that are actually better on 360, not because of the exclusives like Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, etc.

I'll contend that it has much more to do with what MS has done wrong with the Xbox's image in these regions than what Sony has done right. As in, people aren't buying the PS3 in droves just because of Sony branding, Blu Ray, and hardware stability, as it isn't exactly lighting up the charts in either region. People are avoiding the 360 specifically because it's an Xbox.

Fady K

charlequin said:

Charlequin, is it just me, or are you always angry when you post? Chill out man :p

sakuragi

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I know you weren't responding to me here, but I was simply challenging the assumption that the PS3 had a more appealing games lineup for Eastern tastes (at this point in time compared to 360). Aside from Hot Shots Golf and Resistance (which is a FPS, lol), all of the most popular PS3 games in Japan are on 360 as well or coming in the future with added content.

It's a similar situation to the 360 in Spain and Germany currently - if you look at the PAL charts, people are buying PS3s over the 360 for multiplatform games (COD4, AC, PES, FIFA, DIRT, etc) that are actually better on 360, not because of the exclusives like Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, LAIR, etc.

I'll contend that it has much more to do with what MS has done wrong with the Xbox's image in these regions than what Sony has done right. As in, people aren't buying the PS3 in droves just because of Sony branding, Blu Ray, and hardware stability, as it isn't exactly lighting up the charts in either region. People are avoiding the 360 specifically because it's an Xbox.

Agreed. Some consumer do actually do their homeworks and look at the track record of the console before purchasing the system. The Xbox brand in Japan in my opinion is dead and nothing can be done to revive it unless they somehow manage to change it. The Xbox ruined any hope for the Xbox 360 in Japan. I mean, I could understand why the Xbox 360 doesn't sell well in Japan ( the original Xbox had no games that cater to the Japanese taste, hence brand is ruined and so forth) , but as you said, in some parts in Europe like Germany and Spain where the PS3 is more expensive and a year + late to the market? hmm.

gkryhewy

sakuragi said:
The Xbox brand in Japan in my opinion is dead and nothing can be done to revive it unless they somehow manage to change it.

:lol :lol

I'm sorry to tell you that your illness is terminal, sir, unless you manage to survive.

Deku

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

That may be part of it, but it may also be a chicken and egg dilema. As in will those games by themselves push consoles or are they insane success in the last generation due to a massive installed based and a receptive audience eager for the software.

The PS3 also have which normally do ok numbers tanking on the PSP and PS3 simply because the userbase isn't there to support it.

I'm sure what you're saying is true, but I don't feel confortable with the explanation given. TBH, the Japanese industry has simply moved on. Console sales aren't what they used to be and the format of gaming that thrives on consoles may also generally be less appealing outside of a core audience (not neccessarily hardcore).

sakuragi said:

Well, like... there's a certain level of argument that it's hard to even know where to start with.

The idea that the Xbox 360 is failing in Japan because the PlayStation brand is so strong is ridiculous because the PS brand isn't strong at all. Sony's offering with the PS3 is much closer in philosophy, size, and software to the Xbox than the PS2, and the Japanese market has pretty soundly rejected both consoles that offer it. If anything, Sony has been halting a fall to Xbox levels thanks to its well-liked franchises of yesteryear, not actively holding down its competitor using them.

(It's also important to remember that the 360 is dramatically improving on Xbox's performance in Japan, even after a far worse launch.)

If you weren't starting things out by reacting to one lousy theory (the "OMG racist Japanese" theory) with a snarky reply containing an even lousier theory, I'd probably have been more inclined to break my objection down in friendlier terms first post out of the gate, but honestly I'm just tired of all the systemwar agendas in the MC threads lately.

kottila

test_account said:
I think these numbers are from one store only. It might have been that the 10,000 multiplier have worked on some games, but i would assume that is just coincidence. I.e, World of Warcraft Lich King has 10 pre-orders. I can guarantee that this game will sell more than 100,000 copies, even on day 1. And as you mentioned, MSG 4 isnt on the list, it would mean that 0 copies would be sold hehe ;)

The rule would only count when the game is launching of course...You can't determine the games sales going with preorders from three months prior to that. I don't even know if they have started taking preorders on it yet. I just thought I rememberd that he said that in an old thread once.

test_account

XP-39C²
kottila said:
The rule would only count when the game is launching of course...You can't determine the games sales going with preorders from three months prior to that. I don't even know if they have started taking preorders on it yet. I just thought I rememberd that he said that in an old thread once.

True, but i still say its just a coincidence if it matches the 10,000 multiplier. Its only one store so its not enough data to make a trend. But you can see if it matches when its closer to release :) (if he releases the numbers then of course). I think you can pre-order anything by the way, i mean he said it once.

sakuragi

Banned
charlequin said:
Well, like... there's a certain level of argument that it's hard to even know where to start with.

The idea that the Xbox 360 is failing in Japan because the PlayStation brand is so strong is ridiculous because the PS brand isn't strong at all. Sony's offering with the PS3 is much closer in philosophy, size, and software to the Xbox than the PS2, and the Japanese market has pretty soundly rejected both consoles that offer it. If anything, Sony has been halting a fall to Xbox levels thanks to its well-liked franchises of yesteryear, not actively holding down its competitor using them.

(It's also important to remember that the 360 is dramatically improving on Xbox's performance in Japan, even after a far worse launch.)

If you weren't starting things out by reacting to one lousy theory (the "OMG racist Japanese" theory) with a snarky reply containing an even lousier theory, I'd probably have been more inclined to break my objection down in friendlier terms first post out of the gate, but honestly I'm just tired of all the systemwar agendas in the MC threads lately.

Now this is a good reply, or the tone of it at least. However, you missed the point where you explain your theory of why the Xbox 360 failed in Japan, not why the PS3 encountered some difficulty in its road to greatness.

Actually I didn't say the reason why the Xbox 360 is dead in Japan was due to the strength of the PS brand ( maybe I didn't explain it well), what I was implying is that the Xbox is to blame for the Xbox 360's downfall. Its name has been tarnished by its predecessor that it has reached the point of no return. Of course, the competition is also a factor in eating up its demand but the main factor is its own brand and track record of absolute failure.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hus said:
Quick question to the sales-age'rs...when will we find out Wii Fit's first day sales?

I dont know if you'll get to know the 1st day sales, but on wedensday you'll get the numbers for saturday and sunday atleast :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
donny2112 said:
First week:

Capcom announced that Killer7 shipped 300,000 world wide.
I mean, it certainly didn't sell that number, but I'm sure capcom didn't lose money on their investment.

donny2112

Leondexter said:
I know this is a Japan sales thread, but does anyone have any US Killer 7 numbers?

The GCN version did about double what the PS2 version did in Japan. The PS2 version did about the same as its Japanese counterpart.

sakuragi said:
the original Xbox had no games that cater to the Japanese taste

Dead or Alive 3

John Harker said:
Capcom announced that Killer7 shipped 300,000 world wide.
I mean, it certainly didn't sell that number, but I'm sure capcom didn't lose money on their investment.

I wouldn't be too sure. :lol

ethelred said:

That's Fuzzy's byline.

ethelred said:
So what am I right about this week?

The matter in discussion is that some of the casual Japanese Wii players, when asked if they knew about Super Mario Galaxy i.e. the new Mario game for the Wii, replied "yes" and proceeded to describe Mario Party 8. It's in Vinnk's report for this week a page or two back.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
donny2112 said:
The GCN version did about double what the PS2 version did in Japan. The PS2 version did about the same as its Japanese counterpart.

I wouldn't be too sure. :lol

300,000 units is a lot sold for a game with that small of a budget on a 20 person dev team. It was no hit, but im certain it wasn't hard for them to recoup

sphinx

the piano man
donny2112 said:
I wouldn't be too sure. :lol.

I tend to think this is true...

In christmas 2005 they were ASSloads of killer 7 all over the world, everywhere, not just America. Many of those copies are still on shelves today, unsold... the same happened with geist, it's like stores couldn't possibly get rid of those even if they gave them for free.

in both cases, stores are the big losers in this story, not suda or capcom. They failed at calculating demand for the games and overstocked, now they pay the price of their incompetence.

Arde5643

sphinx said:
In christmas 2005 they were ASSloads of killer 7 all over the world, everywhere, not just America. Many of those copies are still on shelves today, unsold... the same happened with geist, it's like stores couldn't possibly get rid of those even if they gave them for free.

in both cases, stores are the big losers in this story, not suda or capcom. They failed at calculating demand for the games and overstocked, now they pay the price of their incompetence.
The bad thing is if this can hurt NMH's chances since stores might be wary of it.

sphinx

the piano man
Arde5643 said:
The bad thing is if this can hurt NMH's chances since stores might be wary of it.

The problem happened to big department stores like Sears and Jc Penney, that normally don't know what is going on in the world of video games.

I am sure gaming devoted stores knew all the time Killer 7 wasn't that big.

No more heroes will be a very different story from killer 7, it's an exclusive, it's in a winning console and it will appeal to the hardcore gamers that own a Wii, which should be more enthusiasts than the the gamecube fanbase of 2005 . And being honest... looks far, far more attractive than killer 7.

K7 looked odd, NMH looks odd and badass.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sphinx said:
The problem happened to big department stores like Sears and Jc Penney, that normally don't know what is going on in the world of video games.

No more heroes will be a very different story from killer 7, it's an exclusive, it's in a winning console and it will appeal to the hardcore gamers that own a Wii, which should be more enthusiasts than the the gamecube fanbase of 2005 . And being honest... looks far, far more attractive than killer 7.

Honestly I think thats very optimistic

Arde5643

HK-47 said:
Honestly I think thats very optimistic
After how dissapointing SMG sold in Japan, we've pretty much given up on rationale and either just focus on the bad things or the good things. :lol

Vinnk said:
Special: Last week you guys wanted to know about why Super Mario Galaxy wasn’t selling and how bad the PSP piracy thing is in Japan. Here’s what I found:

Super Mario Galaxy:

The gamers I talked to that bought Super Mario Galaxy simply adore it. But the thing is a lot of them never picked it up in the first place. A lot of the Otaku gamers I talked to were turned off by the ads for it that made it look like a casual title. They were worried that that game was too simple.

So then I talked to a lot of my friends and co-workers who were not gamers. Only about half of them knew Super Mario Galaxy was the new Mario game. A few of them went “Oh, I have that!” and went on to describe Mario Party 8. Seems a lot of the casuals were not even aware the Mario Galaxy and Mario Party were different games. Of the ones that did know what it was, again very few picked it up. They said it looked really difficult and disorienting. They say they love Mario, but not that type of game.

It was actually a bit frustrating. The Otaku say it looks too simple and the casuals say it looks too hard. The ad campaign seems to have distanced the game from both camps. The only people who seem to truly “get it” is my elementary school students. They ALL know about the game and most of them really want to play it. But they don’t have money to buy games. If they still want it by the time they get their New Years money, the game might still do some nice sales. But by that time it might be too late.

And then don't say me that it is not a marketing problem: if the consumer didn't know that Galaxy was the new Mario and that there were confusion with Mario Party 8, it is definitely a communication's problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vinnk said:
PSP Piracy

Until I started looking into it, I never knew the problem was this big. I saw 4 high school boys playing PSP in the park by my house and started talking to them. Of the 4 kids there, only one of them had a legal game with him. The others were all playing pirated software. I asked where they got the copied games and they told me a few sites. I asked where they found out about how to get free games and they told me they read it in a book.

The local bookstores in my town all have multiple books on PSP (and DS) “hacking” (word being used loosely). These books have step-by-step guides and provide web links. They are not photocopied manifestos being sold at shady game stores. They are brightly colored, high production books and magazines and you can find them at ANY bookshop. Even in my tiny city I was able to find them very easily. One PC magazine had a full page ad on the back cover for the R4. It didn’t say what it did or even use the word DS in the ad, just a picture of the card itself. In other words, their target consumer already knows what it is and what it does.

Next I went to talk to some shop owners. They say it very common for someone to buy a PSP without buying a game for it at the same time. However it is very rare for someone to buy a DS, PS2, Wii, 360 etc. without a game
. Some stores, when they see a customer buying a system without games, will ask if they want to buy a Memory Stick. There is a fairy good profit on memory sticks.

Now it should be noted that this is only information that I have gathered from a few people at a few game stores. I cannot say if this is a nationwide trend or if it is just my town. What I do know is there is a thriving business for piracy and I can’t imagine that I am the only one noticing.

Incredible. PSP may be a very successfull system, but its pirated software sales will never be counted and Sony will never be profitable on this side. Just imagine: if all pirated copies would be counted, maybe PSP wouldn't have only a single million seller in Japan.

Thanks Vinnk !

ccbfan

sphinx said:

Toys R us was one of those stores too. I ended up buying both geist and killer 7 for 5 bucks there within a year of release.(9.99 then an additional 50% because it was red tagged)

Other games I remember getting a similar reaction was Baten Kaitos, Batallion Wars and Metroid Prime 2. Bought all 3 for 10 bucks with in one year of release.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Arde5643 said:
After how dissapointing SMG sold in Japan, we've pretty much given up on rationale and either just focus on the bad things or the good things. :lol

Well someone has to be feeling the heat over in marketing for that one. I hope they see how well its doing in the west though and stop focusing only on how Japan reacts to games. It sure wasnt Japan that was the majority supporter of the Gamecube and N64.

Arde5643

HK-47 said:
Well someone has to be feeling the heat over in marketing for that one. I hope they see how well its doing in the west though and stop focusing only on how Japan reacts to games. It sure wasnt Japan that was the majority supporter of the Gamecube and N64.
There's a rumour on how NMH is attracting the local otaku gamers in Vinnk's area - so perhaps that will show how correct marketing can generate sales for traditional games for the Wii, even in Japan.

Hopefully, NMH will sell well to further prove this rumour.

Vinnk

Arde5643 said:
There's a rumour on how NMH is attracting the local otaku gamers in Vinnk's area - so perhaps that will show how correct marketing can generate sales for traditional games for the Wii, even in Japan.

Hopefully, NMH will sell well to further prove this rumour.

To be fair though the Otaku gamer in Japan also often likes the 360 and games like Sakura Taisen PSP, Doki Doki Majo Saiban, etc. They buy these type of games day one and then they drop off the charts. This shows that while the Otaku gamers buy a lot of games for a lot of different systems, they still make up a very small percentage of the Japanese gaming population. Still, I was in Japan during the launch of Killer 7 as well, and I don't remember it really getting much buzz from anyone.

sphinx

the piano man
ccbfan said:
Toys R us was one of those stores too. I ended up buying both geist and killer 7 for 5 bucks there within a year of release.(9.99 then an additional 50% because it was red tagged)

Other games I remember getting a similar reaction was Baten Kaitos, Batallion Wars and Metroid Prime 2. Bought all 3 for 10 bucks with in one year of release.

I am glad I wasn't they only one that noticed this particular thing.

Gamecube software of 2005 was like a sequence of bombs one exploding after the other. I don't think there was a single exclusive game that didn't bombed from Januray 2005 onwards. Maybe mario party 7 and mario strikers didn't do that horrible perhaps but it was all sadness and deception in the gamecube software front.

I really hope this doens't happen with any console this generation... it's such a pity.

jesusraz

JoshuaJSlone said:

No More Heroes is likely to beat that in its first week from the talk of the hype starting to build up around it. As for Capcom, it has heard people's requests for a killer7 remake on Wii and will no doubt be considering it next if Okami does as well as the RE4 port.

Vinnk said:
I saw about 4 of them in my town out of the about 20 that I saw launch week. Some stores are sold out but not all. And it doesn't seem like they plan to reorder. I think one could call Ghost Squad a game that met expectations. It didn't bomb and it didn't sell out day one. It sold (and is likely still selling) nicely.

Thanks for that - interesting to note, that's for sure. I wonder if House of the Dead will fare even better. No doubt it will if Sega gets it out quickly enough to ride on the coat-tails of RE: TUC.

Vinnk

jesusraz said:
No More Heroes is likely to beat that in its first week from the talk of the hype starting to build up around it. As for Capcom, it has heard people's requests for a killer7 remake on Wii and will no doubt be considering it next if Okami does as well as the RE4 port.

I would love for that to be true, it would be a perfect fit for Wii controls and widescreen would be very nice, but I won't hold my breath. Okami was a critically acclaimed game that was overlooked by many people. Killer 7 was hated by as many critics (and gamers) as it was liked. Okami is considered by many to be an "overlooked masterpiece" Killer 7 is a weird game with a cult following. I'd buy it day one, but I don't really see it happening.

Top Bottom