• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

PantherLotus said:
1. It is most definitely not an innovation if everybody can do it; it's a standard. Like rumble, or analogue, if you want to stay in the same gen.

2. PS3, from a hardware/presentation perspective, most definitely is "more of the same." It just happens to be A WHOLE LOT MORE of the same. And honestly, Sony was following the exact same path with it...right up until about the time of last May. Don't you remember? Because they went after "a whole lot more" of the same, they had to delay and delay again because the market (manufacturer) wasn't ready. BECAUSE they were doing more of the same.
I had a Sega CD unit.

PantherLotus said:
Well market theories need to be pretty broad by definition. The whole "next next gen" is encompassing enough to include arrogance. And sticking with cartridges most definitely IS a failure to innovate, of colossal proportions no less. Moreover, 4 controller ports was an addition, not an innovation (a technical but significant distinction). The analogue stick was copied and put out on the market without a 2nd thought from Sony, eliminating any perceived innovation.

I'm not saying the 64 was devoid of innovation; no less is the PS3 devoid of innovation. Rather, the competition was (is) able to adopt the innovations in combination with their own to differentiate their product at a time when the market wants something new.

Sony's addition of the analog stick was very late, it had nothing to do with their win. Same for rumble. Sony's win was solely based on it's successful wooing of the development/publishing community, the biggest point being their dissatisfaction with Nintendo in general and the cost of cartridges specifically.

Nintendo's failure to use CDs wasn't a failure to innovate (is cheap storage innovative?), they were looking into it but decided against it for several reasons. Their arrogance is the only real tie to Sony's current situation--and the key to your theory, if you ask me. Especially dealing with price. Nintendo thought publishers and consumers wouldn't mind the high cart prices, and they were wrong. Sony now thinks double last gen's launch price would go over well, but they're wrong.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
These theories made me laugh :lol

C'mon, there isn't a theory, less when the theory is broken. N64 was 3D gen, or was supposed to be the true 3D first 3D machine that went wrong by some clear motives...

The system that sells better is the one that have the most appealing games. Nothing more.

KINGMOKU

Holy crap. I take a mini-vacation for a few days, come back, and this thread is still going.

I said wow.

Any number leaks for this upcoming week yet, besides the PS3 gundum 1st day sales?

And, on an unrelated/related note, are we to expect NPD numbers this week, or next?

CDs did innovate, it had huge storage space, and FMVs on it actually looked good. if you've played no mercy, and then played smackdown on ps1 you tell the difference in the wrestler's enterances.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
tanasten said:
These theories made me laugh :lol

C'mon, there isn't a theory, less when the theory is broken. N64 was 3D gen, or was supposed to be the true 3D first 3D machine that went wrong by some clear motives...

The system that sells better is the one that have the most appealing games. Nothing more.

Yes, but WHY does the system that sells better have the most appealing games? :)

noonche

PantherLotus said:
Yes, but WHY does the system that sells better have the most appealing games? :)

In the case of the PSX it was Sony's developer relations that are responsible for the PlayStation having the most games. The strategy at the time was to get as many games as possible out and hope that some of them where great. They where, PS1 got tons of great games while N64 got 1 or 2 a year. Same happened for most of the PS2's life. It's this lack of content that (at least to me) is what proves that the PS3 is not just more of the PS2.

Arrogance is the common factor in the floundering of the N64 and the PS3, not a lack of innovation.

ethelred

The Experiment said:
I always considered generations to be the cycle between console releases of successors. Starts at the beginning machine and ends when the last successor machine comes out.

So last gen was November 1998 to April 2007.

The current gen started on November 2005.

Anyway, PS3 ****ed up because, like Nintendo with the N64, they assumed that they controlled the market. Consumers control the market. That Sony can tell consumers what they should buy, include stuff that wasn't necessary (Bluray, the achilles heel of PS3), and slap an exorbitant price on the machine.

Garden variety arrogance and ignorance.

Pretty much every single aspect of this post is correct, from the definition of console generations to the reason why this one (and two generations ago) is playing out the way it is.

Mudhoney

alske said:
In the case of the PSX it was Sony's developer relations that are responsible for the PlayStation having the most games. The strategy at the time was to get as many games as possible out and hope that some of them where great. They where, PS1 got tons of great games while N64 got 1 or 2 a year. Same happened for most of the PS2's life. It's this lack of content that (at least to me) is what proves that the PS3 is not just more of the PS2.

Arrogance is the common factor in the floundering of the N64 and the PS3, not a lack of innovation.

All signs point to...

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿
Yamauchi.jpg

????????????????????

felipeko

alske said:

I'm not sure it's just that...
Who else would guess that nintendo would price their console at $250 when everything points to $400?
If nintendo showed a me-too $400 console (without Wiimote), im sure that ps3 strategy would pay-off.
And if nintendo showed a WiiHD $400 im not so sure...

Wolf Beil

Banned
Dave Long said:
Yamauchi.jpg

I often wonder if we'll hear the man say something about all that's transpiring right now...
With Wii worldwide domination imminent, the only thing we'll be hearing from him is uncontrollable and maniacal laughter.

noonche

felipeko said:
I'm not sure it's just that...
Who else would guess that nintendo would price their console at $250 when everything points to $400?
If nintendo showed a me-too $400 console (without Wiimote), im sure that ps3 strategy would pay-off.
And if nintendo showed a WiiHD $400 im not so sure...

What I'm trying to say is that had Sony gone out of their way to court developers, and worked on keeping exclusives like GTA, Dragon Quest, and Assassin's Creed that the PS3 would then truly fit PantherLotus' schema of "next next-gen".

I'm not saying anything about wether or not that would have been an effective strategy. Merely that the PS3 is different from PS2 just like N64 was different from SNES. The potential pattern of failure has nothing to do with offering 'more' and everything to do with companies forgetting what (and who) put them on top to begin with.

justchris

Eteric Rice said:
You know, I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't gone even further to get others to buy the DS. For instance, why haven't they made a simple, easy to use PDA cart for the DS/ DS Lite?

OR...

Japanese Training, because there are a lot of people in America interested in the Japanese language. They could also release Math training, as I know a lot of people would like something that explains more complex math in a very simple way. Hell, it could be used to brush up on Math, and have a built in calculator for those times when you need it.

The DS has tons of (still) un-tapped potential here.

Too many balls in the air?

I know they like to claim the DS is a <b>gaming</b> machine, but the Wii is already edging into the gaming+ space. No reason for the DS not to.

However, the DS, right now, is doing fine. It's doing better than fine. It's beating everything else out on the market hands down, and selling faster than they can hope to match with current production capacity. With over 35 million units sold, they can afford to let 3rd parties carry the DS for a while, maybe for the majority of this year.

On the other hand, the Wii is just out of the gate, and has stiff competiton in the PS3 and 360. Nintendo has the chance to take this hold generation in all 3 territories, but if they're going to do it, they have to blow the competition out of the water. At this point, the DS is just a distraction from their Wii business. Wii has to be the focus, at least until around the end of the year, when both platforms are doing well, and they can split their resources more evenly.

Imagine Nintendo dominating with both Wii & DS. Cause I can assure you Nintendo is imagining it.

cvxfreak

Is there a ranking of which foreign languages are most often studied in the US? I can't imagine Japanese being in the top 3 at the moment (top 5 maybe).

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Is there a ranking of which foreign languages are most often studied in the US? I can't imagine Japanese being in the top 3 at the moment (top 5 maybe).
I imagine English is number one ;)

cvxfreak said:

Top spoken languages in the US according to the 2000 Census...

US LANGUAGES (excluding English)
Spanish: 28,101,052
Chinese: 2,022,143
French: 1,643,838
German: 1,382,613
Tagalog (Philippines): 1,224,241
Vietnamese: 1,009,627
Italian: 1,008,370
Korean: 894,063
Russian: 706,242
Polish: 667,414
Arabic: 614,582
Portuguese: 564,630
Japanese: 477,997
French Creole: 453,368
Greek: 365,436
Hindi: 317,057
Persian: 312,085
Urdu: 262,900
Gujarathi: 235,988
Armenian: 202,708

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
cvxfreak said:

Spanish, French, Italian - I think.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Grug said:
I never really comment much in these threads because I am unsure how they reflect the entire market as a whole.

I do have a question though... no PS3 games in the top 30? Is this unusual for a recently released console?

Is the PS3 in a little bit of trouble in Japan?

Small install base(compared to everything except 360) and nothing new released during the period covered by the charts.

It is a sign they need to sell more ps3 systems, but hell, we already knew that. :p It is going to be a long, slow, uphill climb for the ps3.

TopDreg

According to Namco Bandai, the average cost to make a game on PS3 was approximately 8.6 million dollars, meaning 500k copies of a particular game would have to be sold to even make a profit. I'm curious as to what games out there have sold enough in Japan to do so. Anybody have LTD data on Resistance and Gundam Crossfire?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
DeaconKnowledge said:
You are.

I was insinuating that the PS copied the N64's rumble pack with the dual shock, not that it came first.

more like they copied Immersion, amirite?

TopDreg said:
According to Namco Bandai, the average cost to make a game on PS3 was approximately 8.6 million dollars, meaning 500k copies of a particular game would have to be sold to even make a profit. I'm curious as to what games out there have sold enough in Japan to do so. Anybody have LTD data on Resistance and Gundam Crossfire?

:(

I really don't know what to tell you. It's not good. I think Gundam Musou will move into the #1 PS3 sales spot in its 2nd week, even if it only sells another 20k next week.

ethelred

TopDreg said:

From Dalthien's sales thread:

124,463 Ridge Racer 7 (Namco) (11/11/06) – through Jan 28/07
121,733 Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire) (Bandai) (11/11/06) – through Jan 28/07
101,667 Resistance: Jinrui Botsuraku no Hi (Resistance: Fall of Man) (Sony) (11/11/06) – through Jan 28/07
72,595 Armored Core 4 (From) (12/21/06) – through Jan 28/07
65,835 Virtua Fighter 5 (Sega) (2/8/07) – through Feb 18/07
48,869 Genji: Kamui Souran (Genji: Days of the Blade) (Sony) (11/11/06) - through Jan 28/07
14,417 Enchant Arm (Enchanted Arms) (From) (1/25/07) – through Jan 28/07

TopDreg

...Holy shit.

Definitely no profit being made. More crying than rejoicing. Actually, no rejoicing, whatsoever.

Edit: PS3 third-party support is going to reeeaaallly drop off if Gundam Musou doesn't manage to approach the 500k barrier. That's not promising, at all.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cvxfreak said:

1.)Spanish
2.)French
3.)German
4.)Italian
5.)American Sign Language
6.)Japanese
7.)Chinese
8.)Latin
9.)Russian
10.)Ancient Greek
...ect.

http://www.adfl.org/resources/enrollments.pdf

There is a huge difference between Spanish and French and between French and German

cvxfreak

It looks like Japanese is indeed 5th (or 6th if we include Sign Language).

That said I'm sure Japanese Training would be big in Korea and Taiwan and they could make an English language one on the side.

apujanata

Segata Sanshiro said:
:(

I really don't know what to tell you. It's not good. I think Gundam Musou will move into the #1 PS3 sales spot in its 2nd week, even if it only sells another 20k next week.

So, it seems that 1 + 1 does not equal 2. Gundam + Musou on PS3 does not equal twice Gundam game sales (yet) on PS3. Anyone think Gundam Musou will be able to break 240 in the first 3 or 4 weeks from its launch ?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cvxfreak said:
It looks like Japanese is indeed 5th (or 6th if we include Sign Language).

That said I'm sure Japanese Training would be big in Korea and Taiwan and they could make an English language one on the side.

The problem is that there are only 52,000 students learning Japanese in the US so there might not be enough interest to make it profitable. However this seems to just strengthen the idea of Spanish training working in the US with over 700,000 people learning it.

Terrell

PantherLotus said:
1. It is most definitely not an innovation if everybody can do it; it's a standard. Like rumble, or analogue, if you want to stay in the same gen.
It's not a matter of anyone being ABLE to do it, the fact is that had Nintendo not done it, we might not have seen a change in gaming landscape that huge for another few years, since the first-gen PSX controller and Saturn pad certainly weren't blazing that trail until Nintendo stepped it up. When the Wii-mote proves to be the development community's preferred input method and 3rd-parties breathe down Sony and MS' neck for not having their own Wii-mote, no one could think that Sony or MS aren't going to want to try and jump all over that, just like Sony did with the Dual Shock, and try and capitalize on someone else's success.

cvxfreak

grandjedi6 said:
The problem is that there are only 52,000 students learning Japanese in the US so there might not be enough interest to make it profitable. However this seems to just strengthen the idea of Spanish training working in the US with over 700,000 people learning it.

Japanese is actually a widely learned language in Australia as well, and the game would be released in England and Canada too.

Jiggy

TopDreg said:
...Holy shit.

Definitely no profit being made. More crying than rejoicing. Actually, no rejoicing, whatsoever.

Edit: PS3 third-party support is going to reeeaaallly drop off if Gundam Musou doesn't manage to approach the 500k barrier. That's not promising, at all.
Well, in fairness, it's not like the games only sell in Japan (which was the specific data you were asking about), and some will most certainly do a lot better in other countries.

...That said, when two times even the best of the Japanese figures still doesn't come to half of Namco Bandai's estimate, yeah, there's a problem (assuming Namco's not just overinflating the matter). Just taking the average of those seven games, 78,511, that's only 15% of the necessary figure to turn a profit.

Do we have figures to show what percentage of the average game's sales come from Japan over the past gen or so?

Terrell

Jiggy37 said:
Well, in fairness, it's not like the games only sell in Japan (which was the specific data you were asking about), and some will most certainly do a lot better in other countries.

...That said, when two times even the best of the Japanese figures still doesn't come to half of Namco Bandai's estimate, yeah, there's a problem (assuming Namco's not just overinflating the matter). Just taking the average of those seven games, 78,511, that's only 15% of the necessary figure to turn a profit.

Do we have figures to show what percentage of the average game's sales come from Japan over the past gen or so?
Well, if it helps put it in perspective, Japan still murders North America in per capita video game sales, if I remember right.

PantherLotus said:
Nobody has defeated my theory yet. It holds up.
I don't think so. If it was all about innovation both the N64 (analogue) and the CD-i (CD) would have sold better. And the PS1 didn't have an analogue stick for what, more than a year? Clearly enough time to get a headstarton the competition which did not happen. The reason was stated more than once-cartridges. N64 lacked the software and this wasn't a fault of not innovating (CD drive can hardly be called innovation when it had been done before in a console) but the fault of high development costs.
DeaconKnowledge said:
All of the people who believe the PS3 will smash the Wii need to read the bolded statement and think about the disparity in the Wii and PS3's dev costs.
That's true to some extent. In the end PS3 can still be a successfull machine but I don't think it will be as dominant as PS2 ever. And high development costs are one of the factors responsible for that. I mean when I saw the Heavenly Sword clip I was amazed by the effort put into this-actors, top notch motion capturing etc. This is one expensive game-not all developers can afford this stuff. People are bitching about heaps of shovelware that is being thrown at the Wii but it was the same mass of software that won the market for the Playstation beforehand. GC had tons of quality titles but overall lacked diversity and simple numbers (of titles available).
PantherLotus said:
<snip>
OK, so the so called innovation of the PS1 is no innovation at all? You are pretty much contradicting yourself here.

TopDreg

Jiggy37 said:

My bad for not including worldwide sales. Yet, I think the only game on that list that has surpassed the 500k barrier is Resistance, which, given its high development costs, is still nowhere close to turning a profit. I'd venture to say pretty confidently that there have been thus far no games on the PS3 that have come close to turning a profit. And so, I know the horse has been beaten to death already, but if sales of Gundam Musou don't come up with exceedingly high figures compared to other PS3 games then what plausible reason will Japanese game publisher have by then to develop for the PS3, considering the proven userbase (as of now) for the PS3 and the painful costs of development?

Edit: I really can't wait for tomorrow's MC data. So exciting!

ethelred said:
From 124,463 Ridge Racer 7 (Namco) (11/11/06) – through Jan 28/07
121,733 Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire) (Bandai) (11/11/06) – through Jan 28/07
101,667 Resistance: Jinrui Botsuraku no Hi (Resistance: Fall of Man) (Sony) (11/11/06) – through Jan 28/07
72,595 Armored Core 4 (From) (12/21/06) – through Jan 28/07
65,835 Virtua Fighter 5 (Sega) (2/8/07) – through Feb 18/07
48,869 Genji: Kamui Souran (Genji: Days of the Blade) (Sony) (11/11/06) - through Jan 28/07
14,417 Enchant Arm (Enchanted Arms) (From) (1/25/07) – through Jan 28/07

panda.gif

It seems those early Gundam predictions were spot on.

Japanese wholesaler Tsutaya reported that Bandai Namco's PS3 game Gundam Musou sold approximately 180,000 copies in the first week, and sales of the console have doubled from previous week.

Source: The-Magicbox.com

TopDreg

VietBitter said:

Japanese wholesaler Tsutaya reported that Bandai Namco's PS3 game Gundam Musou sold approximately 180,000 copies in the first week, and sales of the console have doubled from previous week.

No word from them on hardware?

Edit: Holy crap, sales actually doubled?!

farnham

Banned
VietBitter said:

wow @ 40k sold..

Top Bottom