• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/25 - 3/2

Eteric Rice

Yeah, I think it's a little late for Sony to grab 1st place, but it's definately going to be a great console regardless.

I think in order to stay competitive with handhelds, there's going to have to be a merger between computers and video game systems. We're kind of seeing that now, but not to the extent that it needs to be for consoles to survive.

Imagine a Wii-like device with decent computer power, it's own OS with an art program, word-processor, photo program, etc, that plays games as well. This device would be connected to the TV as well.

Basically, consoles will probably have to become like the computers of the 80s (cheap computers with a lot of use, that can play games), or merge with handhelds (like the slim PSP which is a handheld and console).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, I think it's a little late for Sony to grab 1st place, but it's definately going to be a great console regardless.

I think in order to stay competitive with handhelds, there's going to have to be a merger between computers and video game systems. We're kind of seeing that now, but not to the extent that it needs to be for consoles to survive.

Imagine a Wii-like device with decent computer power, it's own OS with an art program, word-processor, photo program, etc, that plays games as well. This device would be connected to the TV as well.

Basically, consoles will probably have to become like the computers of the 80s (cheap computers with a lot of use, that can play games), or merge with handhelds (like the slim PSP which is a handheld and console).

This is definitely a strategy. I don't think it is a good one, but it is a strategy none the less. I think one would be hard-pressed to convince console makers to follow the cheap-PC model into oblivion. Especially when even the last-place console this generation will generate a billion dollars lot of revenue.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Thank you for responding to what I said and not at all coming out of left field responding to something I didn't say. After all, it's not like you've completely misread one of my posts before and responded totally out of left field. Nope. You're right on target and on subject.

Coming out left field? You're talking about RR2's drop that jarrod was talking about and I say that the drop was expected.

Now it seems that I can't quote you more because you think I'm attacking you or something. Ok

Pureauthor said:
Why something sells like crap doesn't change the fact that it sold like crap.

Yeah, it sold like crap but that's Namco's fault for trying to sell the game full price twice

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Coming out left field? You're talking about RR2's drop that jarrod was talking about and I say that the drop was expected.

Let's review shall we.

1. jarrod uses Ridge Racer 2 as an example of a follow-up to a successful PSP launch game from Namco that tanked.
2. picsou then chimes in with his ever insightful rebuff that Ridge Racer 1 sold 1 million worldwide.
3. I then point out that picsou is discussing the wrong game.
4. You respond to me with reasons why Ridge Racer 2 tanked, which isn't at all what I was talking about.

Spiegel said:
Now it seems that I can't quote you more because you think I'm attacking you or something.

I don't think you're attacking me, but I do think you're having problems reading for content. Details and context are important, even on the internet.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Expected? I somewhat doubt selling a fifth it's predecessor was expected.

Spiegel said:
Yeah, it sold like crap but that's Namco's fault for trying to sell the game full price twice
Didn't seem to hurt RR Revolution or RR7, which were both arguably more recycled content wise. There's really no excusing how badly RRs2 bombed.

wazoo

I think RR5 sold well, and RR evolution sold badly

RR is the kind of past licences that still sell well at launch, because it is a cheap fast to made hardware showcase.

For the PSP, it was, it was basically one of the only games. The second tanked for being the same in a market with more offers and more piracy too.

jarrod

Banned
wazoo said:
I think RR5 sold well, and RR evolution sold badly

RR is the kind of past licences that still sell well at launch, because it is a cheap fast to made hardware showcase.

For the PSP, it was, it was basically one of the only games. The second tanked for being the same in a market with more offers and more piracy too.
I think there were platform trends majorly contributing too... RRs2 released at a time when multiple high profile post-launch sequels were similarly tanking (AC!D2, Lumines 2, Musou P2, Sega Brain Training 2, etc). I don't think you can really place all the blame on just the brand or content here... though I agree, RR tends to do better as a launch showcase.

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Expected? I somewhat doubt selling a fifth it's predecessor was expected.

Didn't seem to hurt RR Revolution or RR7, which were both arguably more recycled content wise. There's really no excusing how badly RRs2 bombed.

RR6 wasn't on PS3, that's hardly comparable. With RR & RR2 Namco was trying to sell the game twice on the same console.

Ok donny it was better to quote jarrod's post and not yours

And let's stop :/. There is a new media-create thread

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
RR6 wasn't on PS3, that's hardly comparable. With RR & RR2 Namco was trying to sell the game twice on the same console.
Hey... it still worked for the 2nd console Ridge Racer.

Again though, the trend extended beyond just RR and into AAA IPs like Musou and Metal Gear. This isn't simply an issue of content, though that's obnviously a contributing factor.

Top Bottom