• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/17 - 3/23

Laguna

Banned
kswiston said:
Brawl's first day was reported to be 500k.

Based off the 80% sell through number, I guess Capcom shipped 850k units of MHP2G. It should end up selling close to that in its first week without a second shipment, maybe a little higher with a second shipment. Either way, they are going to be pretty close to their 900k goal in Week 1.

Is this going to be the PSPs second or third million seller?

Let´s see... How many Monster Hunter games are on PSP? 3 you say? It may be the third million-seller (if MH1P sold 1m)

yurinka

kswiston said:
Brawl's first day was reported to be 500k.

Based off the 80% sell through number, I guess Capcom shipped 850k units of MHP2G. It should end up selling close to that in its first week without a second shipment, maybe a little higher with a second shipment. Either way, they are going to be pretty close to their 900k goal in Week 1.

Is this going to be the PSPs second or third million seller?

Well, In Famitsu reported the game (and the pack) was sold-out in a few hours in the main stores. They did some detailed reports yesterday, follow the links in the text of this post to see the Famitsu sources:
http://capcom-town.es/2008/03/27/colas-en-el-lanzamiento-de-monster-hunter-portable-2nd-g/

Worldwide there were 10+ million sellers in PSP the last time I searched (a few months ago).

Seeing only the japanese sales, as I remember this is the third million seller, the others were MHP and MHP2nd. I don't know the FFVII Crisis Core LTD sales.

donny2112

yurinka said:
Yes, I think the Wii game will be a port of the PSP.

Ugh, no. They are designing MH3 to actually use the hardware of the Wii. Wii > GCN > PS2 >= PSP

yurinka said:
Worldwide there were 10+ million sellers in PSP the last time I searched (a few months ago).

Please share where you searched at.

yurinka said:
Seeing only the japanese sales, as I remember this is the third million seller, the others were MHP and MHP2nd. I don't know the FFVII Crisis Core LTD sales.

Monster Hunter Portable 2 is the only million seller on the PSP in Japan. Monster Hunter Portable 2G should join it very soon.

blitz64

I am surprise that the ps3/wii numbers are tracking so close to last year. But in the US, the ps3 is doing 50% better than last year according to npd. Does the japanese don't care about HD gaming or blueray? Looking at gundum mosou which is a 1 year old game, its going to do better or just as good on the ps2. Don't these people want to play the new games on a ps3 or they think its not worth $400?
I know that the japanese homes are smaller, therefore have less room to place 3 consoles. Could this be one of the reason it's usually just a 1 console winner? Also it looks like japanese hate big size consoles. Looks like current gen HD gaming is dead in japan for now.

yurinka

donny2112 said:
Please share where you searched at.
I'm sorry don't remember the sources it were credible sources.
Now in a quick search I can only find VG charts (they mention 17 psp worldwide million sellers): But don't believe so much their numbers, just take it as guide. Their Nintendo sales are usually higher than Nintendo shipment numbers. Just the opposite than their Sony numbers.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Monster unleashed

First day sales
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G - 670,000

MHP2 did 512k first day, so this is PSP biggest seller ever on first day.

652k were normal editions, 17k Hunter's Packs.

Impressive 80% sell through too.

Wow. I'm impressed. At this point, can we talk of "resurgence of PSP Software"?

donny2112

_Alkaline_ said:
Does anyone have any numbers on how well Monster Hunter 2 sold on PS2?

Just repeating what I've posted before, so if this seems familiar, that's why. :lol

Code:
PS2 Monster Hunter    121K .. 55K .. 29K  ...  289K (20041226)
PS2 Monster Hunter G  128K .. 30K .. 15K  ...  232K (20051225)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2  368K .. 95K .. 39K  ...  571K (20061231)

My expectations are for Monster Hunter 3 to do about as well as Monster Hunter 1 for its first week, as the Monster Hunter userbase migrates over. My LTD expectations would be between MH1 and MH2, though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Not really. Monster Hunter's sort of an outlier for PSP software sales.

But it's an impressive performance for just one day. I mean: it's comparable with New Super Mario Bros. I wonder what will change for the PSP in Japan...

yurinka said:
I'm sorry don't remember the sources it were credible sources.
Now in a quick search I can only find VG charts (they mention 17 psp worldwide million sellers): But don't believe so much their numbers, just take it as guide. Their Nintendo sales are usually higher than Nintendo shipment numbers. Just the opposite than their Sony numbers.
If you can't find your "credible" sources, please at least refrain from spreading the fecal matter that is "Oi-Oi's Magical Made-up Numbers" all over our nice sales thread's carpet, ok?

donny2112 said:
Just repeating what I've posted before, so if this seems familiar, that's why. :lol

Code:

My expectations are for Monster Hunter 3 to do about as well as Monster Hunter 1 for its first week, as the Monster Hunter userbase migrates over. My LTD expectations would be between MH1 and MH2, though.

Thanks for the numbers donny and Psychotext.

Is there a particular reason why the series is more popular on the PSP?

donny2112 said:

Code:

Right now I understand why Nintendo has obtained the exclusivity of Monster Hunter 3. I mean: why Monster Hunter 3 and not something else? But I doubt that sooner or later, this title will not be ported on PSP.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
But it's an impressive performance for just one day. I mean: it's comparable with New Super Mario Bros. I wonder what will change for the PSP in Japan...
It's absolutely impressive. Incredibly impressive.

But sweet fuck all will change for PSP, of that I can assure you.

botticus

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Right now I understand why Nintendo has obtained the exclusivity of Monster Hunter 3. I mean: why Monster Hunter 3 and not something else? But I doubt that sooner or later, this title will not be ported on PSP.
I think they'd be better served working on MHP3 instead of a port of MH3.

donny2112

_Alkaline_ said:
Is there a particular reason why the series is more popular on the PSP?

Local multi-player aspect, most likely. Similar to Animal Crossing's huge increase when it came to the DS.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
But I doubt that sooner or later, this title will not be ported on PSP.

Honest question. Are MHPortable and MHPortable 2 pretty much ports of MH and MH2? If you played MHPortable 2 on your TV via the PSPSlim's TV Out, would people mistake it for a console Monster Hunter?

Monster unleashed

First day sales
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G - 670,000

MHP2 did 512k first day, so this is PSP biggest seller ever on first day.

652k were normal editions, 17k Hunter's Packs.

Impressive 80% sell through too.

I want this brought to the states SO bad. What an awesome series. My bro-in-law just bought a PSP for this game and we played together Ad-hoc for the first time last night. So cool.

cvxfreak

Grecco said:
How did the first Monster Hunter do on PSP?

Initial release sold like 650K, and then the budget release added another 250K or so on top of that. I'm sure if we were to get a 2007 top 500 chart we'd see cumulative sales at or near a million.

Impressive MHP numbers. Will be interesting to see if it's more front loaded. If this has comparable legs to MHP2 we're looking at some big numbers. I kind of doubt it (not being a true sequel) but Capcom should be very happy regardless.

btutterrow said:
I want this brought to the states SO bad. What an awesome series. My bro-in-law just bought a PSP for this game and we played together Ad-hoc for the first time last night. So cool.
That Svensson guy from Capcom more or less confirmed that MH3 is coming to western shores (or the US at least), hinting at an accompanying big ad campaign. Don't know about the portable side though.

kottila

Phife Dawg said:
That Svensson guy from Capcom more or less confirmed that MH3 is coming to western shores (or the US at least), hinting at an accompanying big ad campaign. Don't know about the portable side though.

It's 09 (Spring?) in Japan right?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Can we have some indication (even qualitative) that tell us how much PSP's hardware moved along with MHP2G?
I doubt we'll get any useful numbers this quickly. For what it's worth, and in my estimation it's not worth much at all, in my town MHP2G is super-super sold out (with signs apologizing, etc), but every non-discontinued colour of PSP is still in stock at all stores.

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...
PS3 comparisons: After 71 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 16.6 weeks (June 22, 2000), where PSP was at 47.2 weeks (October 31, 2005), where GCN was at 68.2 weeks (December 30, 2002), and where Wii was at 17.7 weeks (March 29, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 68 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 69.4 weeks (July 16, 2002), where DS was at 57.7 weeks (January 6, 2006), where PS2 was at 92.1 weeks (December 2, 2001), and where PSP was at 134.5 weeks (July 4, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 52.1 / 47.9, bringing total shares to 72.1 / 27.9. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 227.0 weeks (July 30, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 17.1 / 82.9, bringing total shares to 26.0 / 74.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 283.2 weeks (August 27, 2013).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 1150.4 weeks (April 10, 2030).

Count Dookkake said:
Is the PS3's shaming on these charts as bad as the Gamecube's was?
Hardware? About equally shameful. Software? PS3's is worse, unless you only consider third-party sales. Though it does appear that PS3's top third party game (DW6) is only beating GCN's top third party game (RE0) by about 11K.

Verve said:
so I assume the famitsu one is the more reliable using joshuas tool when comparing something to game cube..

are there any other systems where that's the case?
just to be sure for future usage
Media Create weekly numbers didn't really start until 2002, but the data I've got for that year has enough holes that I just start the online data with 2003. The Famitsu data online goes back to 2000, though, so it's complete for PS2 and on.
donny2112 said:
Use Famitsu for everything released before the 360.
GBASP, DS, PSP, and GBM launched between the beginning of 2003 and the X360 launch, so they're represented in full, too.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The same thing that changed the last time Monster Hunter PSP launched huge? Here were PSP's percentages of total software sold on Famitsu's software pie the weeks of and following Monster Hunter 2 Portable launch.

Though it's been higher than that lately, so the norm it returns to won't be so low.

Defuser

donny2112 said:
Honest question. Are MHPortable and MHPortable 2 pretty much ports of MH and MH2? If you played MHPortable 2 on your TV via the PSPSlim's TV Out, would people mistake it for a console Monster Hunter?
Unless their eyes are sharp to notice it.

They may be ports but they are superior ports.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Initial release sold like 650K, and then the budget release added another 250K or so on top of that. I'm sure if we were to get a 2007 top 500 chart we'd see cumulative sales at or near a million.

Pretty much, but the 2007 Top 500 chart shouldn't add anything new, in this case.

PSP Monster Hunter Portable 668,964 (20061231) 10K in the last 6 months of 2006 means this one's sales have died.
PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 290,904 (20071230) 0K in the last 6 months of 2007 means that this one's sales have died.

Total: 960K, though I don't like to combine regular and BEST releases, when the tracker isn't.

JoshuaJSlone said:
GBASP, DS, PSP, and GBM launched between the beginning of 2003 and the X360 launch, so they're represented in full, too.

*Bangs head against wall*

I forgot about DS and PSP. For GBA, I take them as a whole, though.

Rock_Man

donny2112 said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2 is the only million seller on the PSP in Japan. Monster Hunter Portable 2G should join it very soon.

Monster Hunter Portable too probably, if you include the PSP the Best and Reprint editions. We have no sales data for the Reprint edition released last April, but it charted in the weekly Dengeki top 50 a couple of times as late as this month.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I doubt we'll get any useful numbers this quickly. For what it's worth, and in my estimation it's not worth much at all, in my town MHP2G is super-super sold out (with signs apologizing, etc), but every non-discontinued colour of PSP is still in stock at all stores.

So, it's not wrong to affirm that who bought MHP2G already had a PSP and probably even MHP2 (and maybe 1 too).

donny2112

Rock_Man said:
Monster Hunter Portable too probably, if you include the PSP the Best and Reprint editions. We have no sales data for the Reprint edition released last April, but it charted in the weekly Dengeki top 50 a couple of times as late as this month.

What were Capcom's shipments for the game? I seem to recall it was either right at 1 million or a smidgen below.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, it's not wrong to affirm that who bought MHP2G already had a PSP and probably even MHP2 (and maybe 1 too).
Well, don't draw any conclusions from my sample of a few stores. That would be silly.

My prediction is along the lines of others in this thread. I suspect the hardware will see a pretty good bump this week, then slide back down to the already-superb numbers it has been pulling of late.

Software situation outside of MHP seems unlikely to change, however.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...
PS3 comparisons: After 71 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 16.6 weeks (June 22, 2000), where PSP was at 47.2 weeks (October 31, 2005), where GCN was at 68.2 weeks (December 30, 2002), and where Wii was at 17.7 weeks (March 29, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 68 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 69.4 weeks (July 16, 2002), where DS was at 57.7 weeks (January 6, 2006), where PS2 was at 92.1 weeks (December 2, 2001), and where PSP was at 134.5 weeks (July 4, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 52.1 / 47.9, bringing total shares to 72.1 / 27.9. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 227.0 weeks (July 30, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 17.1 / 82.9, bringing total shares to 26.0 / 74.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 283.2 weeks (August 27, 2013).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 1150.4 weeks (April 10, 2030).
I love these things. :D

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Pretty much, but the 2007 Top 500 chart shouldn't add anything new, in this case.

PSP Monster Hunter Portable 668,964 (20061231) 10K in the last 6 months of 2006 means this one's sales have died.
PSP Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) 290,904 (20071230) 0K in the last 6 months of 2007 means that this one's sales have died.

Total: 960K, though I don't like to combine regular and BEST releases, when the tracker isn't.

Ah, I should have said 2008 top 500. Whoops. :)

mabuza

Banned
i get the feeling sony's engineers are doing some serious overtime trying to get out a ps3 slim by the end of the year. its really the only thing that can get them out of this mess right now.

Gaborn

So, I noticed something interesting looking at Joshua's figures. Currently the PS3 is at 1,981,054 sales LTD in Japan. The interesting thing is if you compare that to how far away the PS3 is from matching what the Wii did in it's first year (I choose to date it at the week of 11/19, 52 weeks of sales) the PS3 needs to reach 3,844,356 units sold by the end of this year (slightly over 2 years since the PS3's release) to match what the Wii did in one year.

Assuming all my dates I'm using are roughly correct, and since I believe that comes to 40 sales weeks left in this year the PS3 needs to reach 1,863.302 units for an average of 46,582.55 units per week. I find that interesting because the PS3 has already been available for 71 weeks in Japan and has only managed to sell an average of ~27,902 units/week and it STILL needs to average just under 50k to do what the Wii did in it's FIRST year.

So I guess my question is pretty simple. Do you think the PS3 will close the Wii's first year gap by the end of this calendar year, and if so how long will it take the PS3 to do it?

Edit - Sorry, caught a minor math error that threw things off a bit.

jibblypop

Banned
legend166 said:
See. that's why I just can't see piracy being the biggest issue in regards to PSP software sales. Why would people pirate a bunch of other games, only to buy Monster Hunter?

You make an excellent point here. I used to think it was piracy as well but like you say- why would they choose to buy one game and pirate all the others? makes no sense. Obviously this game proves that if you make the right game for this market then people will buy it.

jibblypop said:
You make an excellent point here. I used to think it was piracy as well but like you say- why would they choose to buy one game and pirate all the others? makes no sense. Obviously this game proves that if you make the right game for this market then people will buy it.

I think blaming piracy is just and excuse. It seems like the market is not interested in the games the PSP has to offer

Terrell

In regards to the MH3 talk:

I think that it's a really good possibility that Monster Hunter 3 is going to out-perform its console predecessors. Simply put, Monster Hunter brand awareness is at an all-time high thanks to the PSP, and being on a high-profile platform like Wii will only increase its apparent brand notoriety in Japan. MH3 might not do the same numbers the PSP versions are doing, but it will certainly outclass its previous console entries. The difference is simple: Monster Hunter on PS2 is another amazing action game in a sea of amazing games. On PSP and now on Wii, Monster Hunter is a stand-out title in a sea of nothing special. So by virtue of the platforms it is being released on now, Monster Hunter could soon be defined as a system-seller in its own right. But we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
DoubleTap said:
I just clicked on the link and it looks intriguing. Volleyball and Badminton! I hope it's as good as Wii Sports.

AWESOME! I hope it gets localized and maybe Nintendo would release it perhaps.

donny2112 said:

Isn't that kind of weird? Do you think Famitsu may be counting another SKU for the April re-print of MHP The Best!? Btw, from Capcom themselves: http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/P/

Top500 can't come soon enough :<

Top Bottom