• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/7 - 4/13

near

Gold Member
MHP2G still going strong, at this stage i wouldn't be surprised if it did 2m. But I'm still in awe how it has even surpass a million in its first month, truly amazing.

Jokeropia

Aren't these hardware numbers unusually specific for Sinobi?
Magicpaint said:
At this point, MHP2G is starting to show legs reminiscent of NSMB. Holy crap at over 100k at this point.
NSMB had 12 straight weeks at +100k, so MHP2G is not quite close yet.

Rolf NB

"Woot" at the XBox 360 resurgance, "barf" wrt the Phoenix Wright games selling like they are selling, and "told you so" in regards of the PS3 sliding closer to the abyss.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Xeke said:
Hey guess which of the two has never had a price drop...

I was just going to ask that question. And how many colors has the DS come in versis the PSP? Nintendo seems to have some wiggle room with both the Wii and DS.

Vinci

Danish
Vilix said:
I was just going to ask that question. And how many colors has the DS come in versis the PSP? Nintendo seems to have some waggle room with both the Wii and DS.

Christ, man. Learn the terminology.

iidesuyo

Xeke said:
Hey guess which of the two has never had a price drop...

PSP is still more expensive, though. Btw DS has had lots of colours too

newdscolours2.jpg

NewsSuggest_BC77BEQP.jpg

I'm reallly impressed by PSP performance. What's most amazing is that PSP has survived during all these years overall thanks to its multimedia performances, and only partially thanks to its games. But suddenly, a game named Monster Hunter Portable started to become bigger and bigger, to finally exploding in MH2 and MH2G. Has ever happened that a console with not many games, without regular releases and with a so poor software LTD, could return so strongly thanks to a redesign and a single franchise?

Consoles like the N64, Gamecube failed also because they hadn't big games coming out regulary. And when a big game came out (like Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker, for example), it was too late to revitalize enough the console.

And this is exactly my point: the concept of "too late" hasn't at all worked with PSP. People haven't lost interest in the console even if it took years to reach the smashing success of MHP2&G. During this period, the console sold not very well, but quite regulary and without abysmal numbers even in periods without a single game coming out.

This is due of course to multimedia capabilities, but I think that pirated software also had a role into the game: it helped the console to remain popular, to finally explode with the recents events that we all know.
So, piracy can also be a positive thing, under certains aspects. We saw that with PS1 too. I wonder if this was partly intentional...

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm reallly impressed by PSP performance. What's most amazing is that PSP has survived during all these years overall thanks to its multimedia performances, and only partially thanks to its games. But suddenly, a game named Monster Hunter Portable started to become bigger and bigger, to finally exploding in MH2 and MH2G. Has ever happened that a console with not many games, without regular releases and with a so poor software LTD, could return so strongly thanks to a redesign and a single franchise?

Consoles like the N64, Gamecube failed also because they hadn't big games coming out regulary. And when a big game came out (like Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker, for example), it was too late to revitalize enough the console.

And this is exactly my point: the concept of "too late" hasn't at all worked with PSP. People haven't lost interest in the console even if it took years to reach the smashing success of MHP2&G. During this period, the console sold not very well, but quite regulary and without abysmal numbers even in periods without a single game coming out.

This is due of course to multimedia capabilities, but I think that pirated software also had a role into the game: it helped the console to remain popular, to finally explode with the recents events that we all know.
So, piracy can also be a positive thing, under certains aspects. We saw that with PS1 too. I wonder if this was partly intentional...

Yep, all of the publishers on PSP are very happy because piracy is driving PSP sales, so if they pirate their games, PSP sells more, in consecuence their games sell more... logical... wut?

manueldelalas said:
Yep, all of the publishers on PSP are very happy because piracy is driving PSP sales, so if they pirate their games, PSP sells more, in consecuence their games sell more... logical... wut?

Oh man... Piracy is a bad thing obviously. But for every bad thing, no matter which one, there always is the counterpart. It was just a way to see the observable from a different point of view, but without forgetting what has already been discussed.

Vinci

Danish
cw_sasuke said:
yes, maybe when it`s a launch title for ds 2....

I think he was, you know, comparing them sales-wise. Monster Hunter is huge for PSP, like Pokemon is for DS. At least, that's what I got from it.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
donny, are you still so sure about MHP2G not hitting 2m in a good while? :lol

Famitsu mid-year Top 100, specifically.

It's looking more likely, now, but I still wouldn't say it was a lock. If you recall, I specifically said
donny2112 said:
P.S. Would anyone else not be surprised if Monster Hunter Portable 2 G did not reach 2 million by the mid-year 2008 Famitsu Top 100?
I still would not be surprised if it hasn't hit 2 million by the mid-year 2008 Famitsu Top 100.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP (Slim) has 7 main colors, so DS (Lite) still wins with 8. PSP has been having lots of LE ones lately though.

PSP Slim - 8 months
DS Lite - 25 months

Remember how we used to joke that all Nintendo had to do to keep the DS above the PSP in 2005 is just introduce new colors every couple of months? I think Sony was paying attention. :)

kswiston

donny2112 said:

It's looking more likely, now, but I still wouldn't say it was a lock.... I still would not be surprised if it hasn't hit 2 million by the mid-year 2008 Famitsu Top 100.

If weekly drops are lighter from here on out, MHP2G should pass 2M by the end of June.

Look at SSBB (Famitsu numbers).

1st week: 816k
2nd week: 266k (67% drop)
3rd week: 165k (38% drop)
4th week: 82k (50% drop)

Total After 4 weeks: 1.33M

Based on those numbers and those % drops, you'd expect maybe 150k in additional sales before the title ran out of steam. However, drops were pretty good after that initial month, and the title has sold close to 300k in the last two months.

MHP2G has nearly twice the sales SSBB did in week four, so it could have steeper drops from here on out, and still comfortably sell 300k more units in the next 2 months (before the 2008 Famitsu mid-year report).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
kswiston said:
If weekly drops are lighter from here on out, MHP2G should pass 2M by the end of June.

Look at SSBB (Famitsu numbers).

1st week: 816k
2nd week: 266k (67% drop)
3rd week: 165k (38% drop)
4th week: 82k (50% drop)

Total After 4 weeks: 1.33M

Based on those numbers and those % drops, you'd expect maybe 150k in additional sales before the title ran out of steam. However, drops were pretty good after that initial month, and the title has sold close to 300k in the last two months.

MHP2G has nearly twice the sales SSBB did in week four, so it could have steeper drops from here on out, and still comfortably sell 300k more units in the next 2 months (before the 2008 Famitsu mid-year report).

this is the kinda stuff that would look BEAUTIFUL on a chart. i can see it now: week-to-week comparisons of sequels with gently sloping curves, like those of a young beauty. mmmmmmmmmmmyeah

PantherLotus said:
this is the kinda stuff that would look BEAUTIFUL on a chart. i can see it now: week-to-week comparisons of sequels with gently sloping curves, like those of a young beauty. mmmmmmmmmmmyeah
Sounds sexy.

legend166

Wouldn't be surprised to see a DS price cut soon. Sure, it's not selling bad, but I don't think Nintendo will be happy with the status quo.

donny2112 said:

It's looking more likely, now, but I still wouldn't say it was a lock. If you recall, I specifically said I still would not be surprised if it hasn't hit 2 million by the mid-year 2008 Famitsu Top 100.
Yeah, I recall the double negation, took me like 15 minutes to understand :lol because in spanish a double negation is not a positive (for example to say 'There is nothing' you say here 'No hay nada' which would actually translate as 'There is not nothing' and the literal translation of 'There is nothing' would be 'Hay nada' which is a grammar error). Mind-blowing stuff I know...

Anyway, I think I'd be surprised if by June end MHP2G hasn't reached 2m, although its going to depend much if it gets a bump on Golden Week (or staying power). Would also be interesting to know if Capcom sends another PR for shipping 2m, since they haven't done it yet the sell through could still be quite high, who knows maybe they are sold out for(/during) Golden Week.

donny2112 said:
PSP Slim - 8 months
DS Lite - 25 months

Remember how we used to joke that all Nintendo had to do to keep the DS above the PSP in 2005 is just introduce new colors every couple of months? I think Sony was paying attention. :)
Its kinda funny both ended up with 6 colors for the old models, and they are neck-and-neck on the new ones but Nintendo latest color was released on 4th October, they must be cooking something...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xeke said:
They'll pull an Apple and announce a new DS model and have it for sale on the same day.

Retailers absolutely hate this sort of thing, and the only reason why Apple gets away with it is because it is its own biggest retailer.

D.Lo

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
They must be cooking something...
A new DS model really does make sense at this point, perhaps even Japan only since the DS is still a crushing beast everywhere else.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
D.Lo said:
A new DS model really does make sense at this point, perhaps even Japan only since the DS is still a crushing beast everywhere else.
No really, that still makes no sense, with the way news spreads today it'll undoubtedly effect sales outside Japan. If Nintendo thinks they need to improve hardware sales for the DS again, the most effective way to give Japan sales a boost is to drop the price.

I wonder even if it was just 1000yen to 15800yen if it would have an effect.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, I recall the double negation, took me like 15 minutes to understand :lol because in spanish a double negation is not a positive

Oops. Didn't really consider the translation aspects. :lol Let me try rephrasing it.

If Monster Hunter Portable 2 G fails to reach 2 million by the mid-year Famitsu Top 100, I will not be surprised. That does not mean that I expect it fall short of 2 million by mid-year. I just don't believe it's a lock for 2 million by the mid-year point.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
but Nintendo latest color was released on 4th October, they must be cooking something...

I really don't see how they could do a redesign that would be must-have territory, but it does seem more and more likely that something with the DS hardware will be done at E3.

Kai said:
Monster Hunter = new Pokemon
As in Monster Hunter Portable + Monster Hunter Portable 2 + Monster Hunter Portable 2G ~= Pokémon Diamond/Pearl, yeah.
PantherLotus said:
Smash
Monster

cw_sasuke said:
yes, maybe when it`s a launch title for ds 2....

Think he was comparing sales in terms of each system. MH drives sales to PSP.. like Pokemon does to GBA/DS

Crazy for MH.. Amazing it never picked up over here.

gconsole

donny2112 said:
Oops. Didn't really consider the translation aspects. :lol Let me try rephrasing it.

If Monster Hunter Portable 2 G fails to reach 2 million by the mid-year Famitsu Top 100, I will not be surprised. That does not mean that I expect it fall short of 2 million by mid-year. I just don't believe it's a lock for 2 million by the mid-year point..

Good news for Donny. Capcom has just announce that MHP2G has officially surpass 2M marks in japan (which I assume it is shipped number). You could expect the game to do that on MC chart very soon :)

Top Bottom