• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/12 - 5/18

duckroll

Nintendo RPGs on the DS are such a failure they should just stop making them. I don't see the point of making games when you refuse to market them at all and just let them bomb. Fuck you Nintendo.

test_account

XP-39C²
According to 1st day sales, Motor Storm complete sold about 1500. How could it sell 1400 in its first week then? Hehe. I know that these numbers are rounded up or down though. I guess that everyone who wanted it bought it at the first day or so then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11295104&postcount=154

Pureauthor said:
One day the PS3 is going to lose to the PS2 and I want to be there to see it.
I think that have already happend if i'm not mistaken, that PS2 sold more than PS3 one week (it that is what you mean).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder if PSP HW will have another big difference between Famitsu and MC this week.

duckroll said:
Nintendo RPGs on the DS are such a failure they should just stop making them. I don't see the point of making games when you refuse to market them at all and just let them bomb. Fuck you Nintendo.
So that you can play them?

JaMarco

duckroll said:
Yea, its getting kind of ridiculous. They better not pull this crap when Golden Sun 3 comes out.
If it ever comes out =(

Considering that GS1 and 2 were immensely successful jRPGs in their own right, Nintendo probably wouldn't want to squander the marketing opportunity.

jarrod

Banned
Yikes! I like how ASH shocked us by tanking hard and we thought it couldn't get worse, then Soma Bringer came out and did worse, and now Heracles has even shattered that record. :lol

duckroll

jarrod said:
Yikes! I like how ASH shocked us by tanking hard and we thought it couldn't get worse, then Soma Bringer came out and did worse, and now Heracles has even shattered that record. :lol

Actually, Soma Bringer did pretty well. It sold more than what was initially shipped, the price didn't drop or collapse in retail, and the preorder CD was in really high demand. ASH and Heracles on the other hand will never ever sell out their initial shipment, which is a sign of total and utter failure.

jj984jj

jarrod said:
Well the shipments went from 200k -> 80k -> 40k so Nintendo has been bringing this on them-selves. Soma Bringer did get a second shipment though.

28. Sim City DS 2 (DS) - 3.900 [134.000]

Nice sales
I need to know if this one is good, the first one was "ok"
I hated the residents and their request that kept repeating over and over, did'nt matter what you did, every god damn minute there was something they wanted you to build.

JaMarco

jj984jj said:
Well the shipments went from 200k -> 80k -> 40k so Nintendo has been bringing this on them-selves. Soma Bringer did get a second shipment though.
Now Nintendo is probably trying to recoup thier losses with these rpgs in NA. Hopefully NA won't dissapoint/

kswiston

norinrad21 said:
MKWII and SMASH will both pass the 2 million by the end of the year.

Smash won't pass 2M by the end of the year. It is starting to settle into the 5k weekly sales range. While I don't doubt that SSBB will eventually break 2M at some point, it's most likely going to be in 2009.

We'll see about Mario Kart, but my gut feeling is that MKWii won't quite be at 2M by the end of the year either.

Wii Fit had an awesome week. If it keeps selling at this rate for the rest of the year, it will likely pass Monster Hunter Portable 2G in 2008 YTD sales. It's going to be close either way though.

It looks like Valkyrie of the Battlefield will end up somewhere around 140k LTD. I suppose that's about as high as an SRPG title is likely to get on the PS3 given the current state of the console. While I won't hold my breath, I hope North America and Europe can push it past 500k World Wide.

duckroll

jj984jj said:

Nintendo doesn't determine the shipments. Initial shipments are how many copies stores and distributors are ordering based on preorders and hype. The steadily dropping shipments just means that retailers are less and less interested in carrying first party RPGs on the DS, and their customers are preordering less and less. Even based on the orders and such, Soma Bringer is the only one that actually sold to the initial expectations.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Any thoughts on how Shiren 3 should do? Any retailer preorder numbers?

I'm afraid it will bomba..what would everyone consider a decent 1st week? 75K? 50K?

JaMarco

kswiston said:
We'll see about Mario Kart, but my gut feeling is that MKWii won't quite be at 2M by the end of the year either.
well MK Wii looks like its having pretty strong legs so far.

duckroll said:

As long as they're great, don't care. DS's RPG library is big in both quality and quantity.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Actually, Soma Bringer did pretty well. It sold more than what was initially shipped, the price didn't drop or collapse in retail, and the preorder CD was in really high demand. ASH and Heracles on the other hand will never ever sell out their initial shipment, which is a sign of total and utter failure.
Yeah SB avoided price collapse... but then it only sold ~50k 1st week. It actually did about as well as Heracles proportionately, so this one might outsell it's first shipment too...

kswiston

What is the next big title to launch in Japan? MGS4?

As things stand, I'm going to predict a 300k opening for MGS4, and a 450-500k LTD. I think this is going to beat out HSG5 for the best selling PS3 game to date, but the PS3 is doing so miserably that MGS4 won't come close to the numbers posted by its predecessors. North America, and Especially Europe, should pick up some of the sales slack though. I fully expect MGS4 to top the Worldwide Sales of MGS3 by a good measure. The 7M that MGS1 and MGS2 sold may be out of reach though (again due to poorer PS3 sales in most areas). I'll go with 5M Worldwide for now.

jj984jj

duckroll said:
Nintendo doesn't determine the shipments. Initial shipments are how many copies stores and distributors are ordering based on preorders and hype. The steadily dropping shipments just means that retailers are less and less interested in carrying first party RPGs on the DS, and their customers are preordering less and less. Even based on the orders and such, Soma Bringer is the only one that actually sold to the initial expectations.
Yeah I know, but Nintendo brought it on them-selves with their new marketing strategy. There weren't even any pages of this in Famitsu the week it was reviewed, all they did was the touch-jp/Creator's Voice/Nintendo Channel stuff way too close to launch. :\

Frillen

kswiston said:
What is the next big title to launch in Japan? MGS4?

As things stand, I'm going to predict a 300k opening for MGS4, and a 450-500k LTD. I think this is going to beat out HSG5 for the best selling PS3 game to date, but the PS3 is doing so miserably that MGS4 won't come close to the numbers posted by its predecessors. North America, and Especially Europe, should pick up some of the sales slack though. I fully expect MGS4 to top the Worldwide Sales of MGS3 by a good measure. The 7M that MGS1 and MGS2 sold may be out of reach though (again due to poorer PS3 sales in most areas). I'll go with 5M Worldwide for now.

300k sounds reasonable. Personally I would predict it to sell in the 350k-400k area, and LTD in the 600k-700k. However, the big question is what will MGS4 do to PS3 sales. I predict the PS3 to sell between 40k and 50k the week of MGS4.

jarrod

Banned
Define "big"? I'd say...

5/29
-Family Trainer (Wii) Namco
-Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (PSP) Konami
-Mugen no Frontier: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga (DS) Bandai/Monolithsoft

06/05
-Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (360/PS3) Bandai/Dimps
-Fushigi no Dungeon Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime (Wii) SEGA/Chunsoft
-Ninja Gaiden II (360) MGS/Tecmo

06/12
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) Konami

06/19
-Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball (Wii) Nintendo/Namco
-Super Robot Taisen A Portable (PSP) Bandai

06/26
-Bleach! The 3rd Phantom (SEGA)
-Daigassou Band Brothers DX (DS) Nintendo
-Derby Stallion DS (DS) Enterbrain
-Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk (Wii) Namco

...all have potential.

My guess for MGS4:

280k 1st week
440k lifetime (bar rereleases)

duckroll said:

Pokemon is a Nintendo RPG on the DS.

Kunan

All 4 Phoenix Wright games are in the list lol. Wierd how they call Apollo Justice Phoenix Wright 4 after the big deal of changing the image.

Vinci

Danish
I'm still having a hard time imagining MGS4 performing to the PS3's benefit so much. I'd say that the PS3 sales go up maybe 20,000 units at most. I think it's one of those PlayStation core games that people bought the system already for, knowing it would come out for it later.

Hammer24

Banned
Vinci said:
I think it's one of those PlayStation core games that people bought the system already for, knowing it would come out for it later.

I think so too, but on the other hand limited edition hardware usually sells pretty good.
So I´d say a 40k bump is to be expected (read: 40k plus whatever it did the previous week).

Spiegel

Vinci said:
I'm still having a hard time imagining MGS4 performing to the PS3's benefit so much. I'd say that the PS3 sales go up maybe 20,000 units at most. I think it's one of those PlayStation core games that people bought the system already for, knowing it would come out for it later.

There will be 80k-100k MGS4 bundles. If sales don't go up more than that...

Gaborn

Hammer24 said:
I think so too, but on the other hand limited edition hardware usually sells pretty good.
So I´d say a 40k bump is to be expected (read: 40k plus whatever it did the previous week).

Yeah, if the PS3 doesn't outsell the Wii in Japan during MGS4's release the tears will be EPIC.

Vinci

Danish
Hammer24 said:

Yeah, but buying another PS3 isn't quite the same as going, "Hey, a new DS Lite color!" There's a significant cash amount to be dropped for a PS3 in the first place.

Could be wrong, but my instinct is telling me that MGS4 is going to be the next symbol of exactly how screwed Sony is in Japan (PSP hardware sales notwithstanding).

Hammer24

Banned
Vinci said:
Yeah, but buying another PS3 isn't quite the same as going, "Hey, a new DS Lite color!" There's a significant cash amount to be dropped for a PS3 in the first place.

Sure - but isn´t the audience that already bought a PS3 not the very same that snatches up another one for the LE? I agree that the MGS4 bundle is probably not expanding the market for the PS3, but the enthusiasts will surely buy them. (I´m really interested in a "Vinnk´s Village" when the bundle hits!)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PSP: 54.000
PS3: 8.100
27. Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles (PS3) - 4.000 [123.000]

:(

Man, do I sure have some bad luck in picking my games and home console.

At least I have the PSP and the DS to make me feel better.

Vinci

Danish
Hammer24 said:
Sure - but isn´t the audience that already bought a PS3 not the very same that snatches up another one for the LE?

No way to know yet. MGS4 should give us some indication of exactly that.

I agree that the MGS4 bundle is probably not expanding the market for the PS3, but the enthusiasts will surely buy them. (I´m really interested in a "Vinnk´s Village" when the bundle hits!)

Perhaps. But even if I end up being wrong, it isn't exactly helpful to Sony to have people buy another PS3 as opposed to having new consumers joining the race. I'll be thrilled for MGS4 though if it sells better than I expect. [Even if I'm not a huge fan of the franchise.]

jarrod

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Sure - but isn´t the audience that already bought a PS3 not the very same that snatches up another one for the LE? I agree that the MGS4 bundle is probably not expanding the market for the PS3, but the enthusiasts will surely buy them. (I´m really interested in a "Vinnk´s Village" when the bundle hits!)
80-100k enthusiasts though? C'mon... even 40k is pushing it for MGS4 launch.

Talamius

Hcoregamer00 said:
Did the old PSP ever sell that badly?

Hardware wise, it's never really been bad. It LOOKED bad next to the DS (at least until recently), but all told it's done pretty well for itself.

Software wise is a different story, unfortunately.

Vinnk

Hammer24 said:

I'd be happy to do a report.

Top Bottom