• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 11 - 17, 2010

onken

Nirolak said:
I think he meant the "Umbrella Chronicles" series, as that's the only thing I can see that makes sense.

Yeah sorry, I meant DC.

Nirolak said:
It seems Microsoft is getting quite aggressive in Japan again.

If they're all in the same caliber as MHF then I wonder why they're bothering.

Durante

Spiegel said:
- 6090Y Vs 7980Y
Yes, a 30% difference, that's why I said significant.

Spiegel said:
I'd say they are not regretting moving the sequel to PSP
No one is saying that they regret it, however you are completely ignoring western sales (and as I said earlier, the first game actually sold more in the west). I'm just pointing out that it's not quite as clear as some people make it seem that it was really the better choice. Of course, if VC2 goes on to sell 400k in Japan it will be different.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I do. I was pretty clear with my definition, I thought. Though the Wii version *does* tip RE4 above CV. I still think it's a franchise in trouble, though.

But its on the rise in the West. I dont think FF has that.

HK-47 said:
But its on the rise in the West. I dont think FF has that.

Ya, that's another thing to take into account. JRPGs have taken a downturn across the board this generation in terms of sales. I think Final Fantasy XIII's almost definitely gonna sell less in the west even on two platforms though I should say I think it would do worse if it were ps3 exclusive in the west.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For the heck of it I decided to check Resident Evil worldwide sales (as according to Capcom) for comparison:

Resident Evil 1: 5.08 million (Includes DC and DC Dualshock)
Resident Evil 2: 4.96 million (PS2)
Resident Evil 3: 3.5 million (PS2)
Code Veronica: 2.54 million (PS2/DC)
Resident Evil 0: 1.25 million (Seems to include Archives due to dates)
RE Remake: 1.35 million (Seems to include Archives due to dates)
RE: Outbreak: 1.45 million (PS2)
Resident Evil 4: 5.3 million (PS2/GC/Wii)
Umbrella Chronicles: 1.2 million (Wii)
Resident Evil 5: 5.2 million (360/PS3, maybe includes PC (not listed in the table), Alternative/Gold Edition Upcoming)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
Does 2 and 3 include the other versions like N64 and GC rereleases?
Um, I don't think so as I didn't see them on the list, so they must be less than 1 million.

However, that is admittedly a large amount of potential error.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
speculawyer said:
Nice to see the PS3 catching on.

Not that this isn't generally true since the Slim launch, but I'm curious what about this week's numbers made you come to that conclusion.

Baki

schuelma said:
Not that this isn't generally true since the Slim launch, but I'm curious what about this week's numbers made you come to that conclusion.
So...PS3 hasn't been catching on?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
You have to remember that not everyone checks these threads every week, so if he checked it say, three times over the past five months and saw it was still selling well, that might lead him to this conclusion today.

onken

It's been the lowest week for PS3 since the holidays (obviously) but it's still a marked improvement on last year.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
felipeko said:
Is Nintendo Earnings Release coming in a few hours or just tomorrow?

I think Nintendo's report is next thursday, same day as Sony's. Microsoft's is later today.

felipeko

Saiyar said:
I think Nintendo's report is next thursday, same day as Sony's. Microsoft's is later today.
According to Nintendo is today:
Jan. 28, 2010 Third Quarter Earnings Release [Scheduled]

But i'm not sure how Japan time works..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
felipeko said:
Is Nintendo Earnings Release coming in a few hours or just tomorrow?
I was looking these up for a different thread actually, but for everyone coming up:

Nintendo: January 28th
Microsoft: January 28th
Sony: February 4th

Capcom: February 1st
Namco: February 2nd
THQ: February 3rd
Warner: February 3rd
Konami: February 4th
EA: February 8th
Ubisoft: February 9th
Disney: February 9th
Square Enix: "Early February"
Sega: I'm having issues finding it on their site. Perhaps they haven't announced it yet.

Activision and Take-Two work on slightly different fiscal years so they're not reporting that soon.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
felipeko said:
According to Nintendo is today:
Jan. 28, 2010 Third Quarter Earnings Release [Scheduled]

But i'm not sure how Japan time works..

Okay, it will be at close of market today then, about 7/8 hours from now.

dolemite

Japan's market is closed at like 3pm or something so another 4 hrs. But there is no guarantee the numbers will be out right away.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
dolemite said:
Japan's market is closed at like 3pm or something so another 4 hrs. But there is no guarantee the numbers will be out right away.

Closes at 7.00 am GMT. Hopefully we will see the Nintendo shortly after that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I can't wait to see Kirby Wii and all those games from October 2008 announced for 2010.

RaijinFY

Khrno said:
Hey don't worry about it, 2010 is the year for the next FF main entry, and it's the spiritual successor to the most profitable FF game, so SE don't have much to worry about FF's near future.

The main problem is about FFXV, and what direction will it take: more Kitase/Nomura, or some Itou/Yoshida to keep the freshness between entries and allow the previous team more time to create something new.

Not sure creating something "new" is the answer and what do you mean by new? If it's westernize the franchise, then yeah i agree, FF will die quickly and brutally. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Nirolak said:
I wonder if we'll get the exact same list again with a few dates shuffled around.
I wonder if someone will make a thread about said list again despite it not containing any new or useful information.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Which means the top 50 was correct as well. Awesome
Which top 50 is this? Unfortunately i havnt been that active on NeoGAF the last week or so, so i must have missed this top 50 :\

EDIT: I think i found it. Was it the top 50 that bttb posted earlier (in post #314)? If yes, really nice that we got Famitsu top 50 numbers i must say! :)

EDIT 2: I think that all numbers are interesting, but i also think that it is especially interesting to see how the games from position 31 to 51 is selling because we have hardly got numbers for position 31 to 50 before (at least from what i know), so i definitely hope that we get more Famitsu (or Media Create) Top 50 leaks with numbers :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
grandjedi6 said:
I wonder if someone will make a thread about said list again despite it not containing any new or useful information.
It won't be me this time, but fear not, someone will! :lol

Dalthien

Has anyone mentioned that there are no 360 games in the Famitsu Top 50 this week? Even though the last game on the list only sold 2,400 units.

This happened to the 360 several times last year as well.

In the last six months, there have now been numerous weeks where the 360 didn't have even one game sell 2,000 units in a week. That's a rather harsh statistic.

Jonnyram

Dalthien said:
Has anyone mentioned that there are no 360 games in the Famitsu Top 50 this week? Even though the last game on the list only sold 2,400 units.

In the last six months, there have now been numerous weeks where the 360 didn't have even one game sell 2,000 units in a week. That's a rather harsh statistic.
When the hardware sells less than 5,000 a week, noone would expect old games to be selling more than 2,000. Only new games would be expected to chart at all. It's not really a harsh statistic, just reality. And the fact that the last game in the top 50 only sold 2,400 is really only an indication of how slow the market is in the middle of January. This really is the lowest point in the year, basically.

Dalthien

Jonnyram said:
When the hardware sells less than 5,000 a week, noone would expect old games to be selling more than 2,000. Only new games would be expected to chart at all. It's not really a harsh statistic, just reality. And the fact that the last game in the top 50 only sold 2,400 is really only an indication of how slow the market is in the middle of January. This really is the lowest point in the year, basically.
Well yeah - it is reality. But this happened numerous times in the 2nd half of last year as well - not just in the middle of January.

I understand that the 360 won't be some software beast based on its lousy hardware sales. But for a current system that is still advertised, that has its own Famitsu magazine dedicated to it, that has countless highly rated Platinum branded discount titles available, and that still has Japanese devs and pubs announcing software for it - well yeah, to me it is a pretty harsh and damning statistic.

I totally agree that if this happened as an anomaly once every 4 or 5 months - then yeah, totally understandable. But multiple times in a fairly short period of time? Not one single game can demonstrate even some minor legs and hold up at 3k for a month or two to tide the system over until the next big game?

Believe me, I'm not expecting much from the 360. But these types of performances are surprising even to my low expectations.

dolemite

Dalthien said:

The 360 is currently on cruise control in Japan but, fear not, more Idol games are coming .

Jonnyram

Dalthien said:
I understand that the 360 won't be some software beast based on its lousy hardware sales. But for a current system that is still advertised, that has its own Famitsu magazine dedicated to it, that has countless highly rated Platinum branded discount titles available, and that still has Japanese devs and pubs announcing software for it - well yeah, to me it is a pretty harsh and damning statistic.
Japan hates 360 - the cold light of day. MS has to work a lot harder to make the 360 desirable in Japan, but they can't afford to just give up either. Losing Japanese support would be a massive problem for them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dalthien said:

Interesting point, i didnt check for Xbox 360 games earlier when i checked through the Famitsu Top 50 numbers, so i didnt realize this before you mentioned it. That is a rather harsh statistic indeed :\

Jonnyram said:
Japan hates 360 - the cold light of day. MS has to work a lot harder to make the 360 desirable in Japan, but they can't afford to just give up either. Losing Japanese support would be a massive problem for them.
Do you mean that it will be a massive problem for the Xbox 360 in Japan or that it will be a massive problem for Microsoft in general if japanese game developers stops to make games for the Xbox 360 or makes less games for the Xbox 360?

I wonder what happends if Microsoft pretty much gives up the Xbox 360 in Japan. I guess that Microsoft is making some money of the Xbox 360 in Japan, but i wonder if Microsoft will lose much money if they pretty much gives up the Xbox 360 in Japan. Seeing that the Xbox 360 sells well in Europe and in USA, i wonder if japanese developers would still support the Xbox 360 (if they make games that are being released in Europe and/or in USA as well), or if japanese game developers will focus more on the PS3 and/or the Wii instead then.

Jonnyram

test_account said:
Do you mean that it will be a massive problem for the Xbox 360 in Japan or that it will be a massive problem for Microsoft in general if japanese game developers stops to make games for the Xbox 360 or makes less games for the Xbox 360?
It would be a big problem for MS on a worldwide scale if Japanese devs stopped supporting it. Look how hard they worked to get FF13 on 360, even if it's only for the Western audience. That should tell you how badly they need the support.

cvxfreak

Yeah, I wouldn't call Biohazard into the dying category for Japan. It's got that range it likes to stay at since CV came out. Biohazard 4 is a million seller when you take into account the three consoles and the budget priced versions.

UC to DSC reminds me of Outbreak to File 2, a scenario in which a Biohazard spinoff gets a sequel that might end up at half the sales of the original. I'm not sure this endangers anymore RE games coming to the Wii, though.

nodish2 said:
What publisher with games worth playing hasn't made a 360 game?

Atlus confirmed that at one point they had two 360 titles in development, so they'd be my guess.

mugurumakensei said:
Ya, that's another thing to take into account. JRPGs have taken a downturn across the board this generation in terms of sales.

Did Dragon Quest stop being a jrpg while I wasn't looking?

Haven't followed a Media Create thread in a while.
Wow :p the few things I have seen are full of doom and gloom. Series are on a decline route. Sequels underperforming against their predecessors. Final Fantasy XIII not hitting 2 million, despite being in development for god knows how long.

Japanese publishers and devs must be sweating and panicking right now D:

Top Bottom