• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 18 - 24, 2010

RpgN said:
I don't remember reading a quote Iwata mentioning 3 million, weird...Their shipment certainly doesn't suggest it. If the top 50 leak is true of last week, they prety much sold through all their shipment. Are they planning on sending more? It wont sell 2 million copies if they didn't even ship as much.

But he also said DQIX would sell 5 million...Weird fella of a CEO :p
I'd say DQIX has a better chance of hitting 5 million than FFXIII has of hitting 2 million at this point. Pretty crazy, I thought predicting even near 4 million was absolutely nuts.

thefro

Paracelsus said:
The real problem is that VC2 will be further widening the gap between Japan and NA/EU sales-wise, since it's releasing on a dead platform in those regions. The risk to never see VC3 released here grows, basically.

That's a case where a PS2 and/or Wii port for the US/EU audience makes a lot of sense.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week releases (07/02/10)

[NDS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu! Daiundoukai (Atlus Co.)
[NDS] Yamakawa Shuppansha Kanshuu: Shousetsu Nihonshi B: Shin Sougou Training Plus (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Yamakawa Shuppansha Kanshuu: Shousetsu Sakaishi B: Shin Sougou Training Plus (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Dakkoshite! Chimpanzee (Starfish)

[PSP] God Eater (Namco Bandai)
[PSP] Pop 'n Music Portable (Konami)
[PSP] Misshitsu no Sacrifice (D3 Publisher)
[PSP] Moe Moe: World War Two Deluxe 2 (System Soft Alpha)
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce (PSP the Best) (Koei)

[PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope - International (Square Enix)
[PS3] Lair (PlayStation 3 the Best) (SCE)

[PS2] Moe Moe: World War Two Deluxe 2 (System Soft Alpha)
[PS2] Shadow of the Colossus (PlayStation 2 the Best Reprint) (SCE)

Gamefaqs have Kirby Wii scheduled for Saturday March 20. Normally I would say that 99% it is one more mistake from them but this time...(is there any possibility this is the game that Nintendo Dream will announce?)

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd say DQIX has a better chance of hitting 5 million than FFXIII has of hitting 2 million at this point. Pretty crazy, I thought predicting even near 4 million was absolutely nuts.
This gen has been nothing if not surprising.

Busaiku

Chris1964 said:
Gamefaqs have Kirby Wii scheduled for Saturday March 20. Normally I would say that 99% it is one more mistake from them but this time...(is there any possibility this is the game that Nintendo Dream will announce?)
When is Nintendo Dream released?
If true, it could most definitely help maintain good Wii sales.

thefro said:
That's a case where a PS2 and/or Wii port for the US/EU audience makes a lot of sense.

I still don't get why this isn't a more widespread business model. Well, I guess that's why I'm not the head of random games company.

d+pad

Glass Soldier said:
I still don't get why this isn't a more widespread business model. Well, I guess that's why I'm not the head of random games company.

Me, too -- unless Sony pays for them to be exclusives?

u_neek

Four PS3 RPGs released in the span of a week.

Last Rebellion is going to bomb big time while the others might do pretty well - I'm sure both EoE and SO4 will end up selling +250k LTD.

d+pad said:
Me, too -- unless Sony pays for them to be exclusives?

Ehh, I don't think so. It's probably because many new PSP-releases are trying to jump on the MonHun-bandwagon and implementing multiplayer modes like KH:BBS, God Eater, FFAgitoXIII, Valkyria Chronicles 2, the new Ace Combat... and probably it'd be just too much of a hassle to bring the same experience to the Wii.

Glass Soldier said:
Ehh, I don't think so. It's probably because many new PSP-releases are trying to jump on the MonHun-bandwagon and implementing multiplayer modes like KH:BBS, God Eater, FFAgitoXIII, Valkyria Chronicles 2, the new Ace Combat... and probably it'd be just too much of a hassle to bring the same experience to the Wii.

That's only relevant in Japan (though the Wii has MH3 anyway)...what about the West? Is the West suddenly not important? I can see why for small games but big games like KH have no excuse especially when a game like KH sells more in the West normally.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bel Marduk said:
That's only relevant in Japan (though the Wii has MH3 anyway)...what about the West? Is the West suddenly not important? I can see why for small games but big games like KH have no excuse especially when a game like KH sells more in the West normally.
You seem really hung up on Kingdom Hearts being ported to the Wii.

jibblypop

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Even though there were lots of complaints from people about not wanting the mainline DQ game on a handheld, the platform choice for DQIX is one of the best business decisions that any company has made this generation.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:

They don't need any excuse. If they don't want to make a KH game for your stupid console, they won't. If they do, they will. Port begging = BAN.

duckroll said:
They don't need any excuse. If they don't want to make a KH game for your stupid console, they won't. If they do, they will. Port begging = BAN.

I'm not port begging. It's just a suggestion. Get the difference between the two, mmkay? I'm getting a PSP for BBS eventually just so you know.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
I'm not port begging. It's just a suggestion. Get the difference between the two, mmkay? I'm getting a PSP for BBS eventually just so you know.

Here's another suggestion: stop it.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
I am. Just correcting you so you don't get any ideas.

Are you reprimanding an armed officer? Do you know what I can do with this firearm son? Try me, go ahead, just try me!

gerg

Bel Marduk said:
Because it would make lots of sense.

In a way, yes.

But, as our discussion of the issue seemed to conclude a while ago, it's not like SE can only release KH on the Wii or on the PSP or as a multi-platform releaseon the PS3/360 - the multiple possibilities aren't mutually exclusive. So while KH may have many qualities to which the Wii is well-aligned (larger, more varied audience), the license seems to be flexible enough to be well suited on a number of different platforms which each support certain aspects of the game's popularity (cinematic-like presentation, for example).

Games like MGS, Agito, etc. don't make too much sense to me I think.

I think they make a lot more sense when you realise that their existence is most likely the result of a significant attempt by Sony to re-ignite both developer and consumer interest in the PSP.

Chris1964 said:
[PSP] God Eater (Namco Bandai)

So that's the supposed next big game for PSP, can we expect 100k+ FW?

[PS3] Star Ocean: The Last Hope - International (Square Enix)

I expect this to follow Eternal Sonata (i.e. selling more on the 360 than on the year old PS3 port) instead of what TOV did. At best I expect it to sell 200k like on the 360.

[PS2] Shadow of the Colossus (PlayStation 2 the Best Reprint) (SCE)

The most interesting release I think, not expecting any good or decent sales, but why would they do a The Best Reprint? IIRC SOTC only sold about 200k so a The Best reprint is interesting. My guess is that either The Last Guardian is close to a full unveil/release or ICO/SOTC HD PS3 Collection.

EDIT: LOL Bel Marduk is still hung on his KH BBS Wii port? :lol :lol :lol :lol Just buy a PSP dude, and you keep putting up this act and it's bye bye GAF for you.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
Yes I am sir :lol After all I'm a trained hitmanz.

Does anyone have a Game Over screenshot from Tales of Graces? I want to be able to use it someday. :lol

AranhaHunter said:

Namco would like to believe it can do much more. I think they're expecting at least 500k LTD or something.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
u_neek said:
I'm sure both EoE and SO4 will end up selling +250k LTD.

I wouldn't bet on either of those titles going that high, especially SO4.

duckroll

schuelma said:
I wouldn't bet on either of those titles going that high, especially SO4.

Do you really think the Star Ocean brand has completely faded away? I'm not saying it hasn't because I don't really have a good feel for it either way, but if the SO brand is still strong, it should easily do over 200k on the PS3. I don't think it'll do ToV numbers because it doesn't really have that level of strong word of mouth, but Star Ocean is still not a new IP, which helps a lot.

JudgeN

Bel Marduk said:
Because it would make lots of sense. Games like MGS, Agito, etc. don't make too much sense to me I think.

Well you gotta remember PSP development is cheaper then Wii development and i'm assuming BBS and Agito are running on the FF:CC engine (or a slightly upgraded one) so there is cost saving there. Same thing with MGS: PW, they already had a wonderful PSP engine so why not run with it? FFCC, Dissidia and MGS: PO sold pretty good for a PSP game in the west.

For VC2 are we looking at about 150-200k LTD? Would that be considered good?

Baki

duckroll said:

This is scary....

Back on topic, what kind of HW do we expect from the PS3 this week.

duckroll

JudgeN said:
Well you gotta remember PSP development is cheaper then Wii development and i'm assuming BBS and Agito are running on the FF:CC engine (or a slightly upgraded one) so there is cost saving there. Same thing with MGS: PW, they already had a wonderful PSP engine so why not run with it? FFCC, Dissidia and MGS: PO sold pretty good for a PSP game in the west.

This post is factually inaccurate in multiple levels.

Atreides

duckroll said:

Just a question. I know that port begging is banned, but does that include talking about ports from a financial perspective in sales threads?

JudgeN

duckroll said:
This post is factually inaccurate in multiple levels.

Interesting, I figured they were all the same engine I mean shit why would you make a new one for every game. Seems like a waste of cash.

duckroll

Atreides said:
Just a question. I know that port begging is banned, but does that include talking about ports from a financial perspective in sales threads?

Certain posters are special. When they have expressed certain opinions multiple times in other threads, and their intention is clear, they don't get a free pass using sales-age as a "discussion point" for their agenda.

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:

If online retailer preorders are at all reliable, its going to do a lot better than that.

JudgeN said:

Well, the problem is that they could have taken a multiplatform approach (PS2/PSP/Wii) right from the beginning and thus maximizing profits in Japan and the west (theoretically). Even then I doubt it'd be that hard to port a PSP game to the Wii or vice-versa.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
If online retailer preorders are at all reliable, its going to do a lot better than that.
At 1.3 million demo downloads and counting, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't at least over 300k.

Of course, demo downloads aren't a direct relation to sales, but they at least show a huge amount of interest in the title.

I think we might even see over 500k, but it's far from something I'd bet my life savings on.

duckroll

JudgeN said:
Interesting, I figured they were all the same engine I mean shit why would you make a new one for every game. Seems like a waste of cash.

It doesn't matter whether they are using a new engine or not. Since we don't specifically know either way what their tool sets are, we only need to look at the more important claim that it is "cheaper" to develop on PSP because they have an engine. How do we determine cost? Development time multiplied by manpower, correct? Birth by Sleep has a sizable staff comparable to most PS2/Wii productions. Development started in early 2007, and it was announced at TGS 2007. Development completed at the end of 2009, and the game was released in Jan 2010. That's almost 3 years of development for a PSP game.

Agito XIII switched from a mobile phone platform to PSP in 2008, it's still not out, with no signs of coming out anytime before the end of this year. That's another 3 year cycle. I do not doubt that Agito XIII has even more staff working on it compared to BbS, because of the importance of the brand to S-E, and also because it will need to support network functions which go beyond what S-E has done on any of their PSP games so far.

Also, Dissidia and MPO didn't really sell "well" in the US. When the Japanese sales eclipses the US sales significantly for a game in a major worldwide franchise, it is not good. We'll really have to see how BbS and PW does in the US before speculating any further though. I don't see a point in suggesting that games should be ported to other platforms for financial reasons before the games are even out.

JudgeN

duckroll said:
It doesn't matter whether they are using a new engine or not. Since we don't specifically know either way what their tool sets are, we only need to look at the more important claim that it is "cheaper" to develop on PSP because they have an engine. How do we determine cost? Development time multiplied by manpower, correct? Birth by Sleep has a sizable staff comparable to most PS2/Wii productions. Development started in early 2007, and it was announced at TGS 2007. Development completed at the end of 2009, and the game was released in Jan 2010. That's almost 3 years of development for a PSP game.

Agito XIII switched from a mobile phone platform to PSP in 2008, it's still not out, with no signs of coming out anytime before the end of this year. That's another 3 year cycle. I do not doubt that Agito XIII has even more staff working on it compared to BbS, because of the importance of the brand to S-E, and also because it will need to support network functions which go beyond what S-E has done on any of their PSP games so far.

Also, Dissidia and MPO didn't really sell "well" in the US. When the Japanese sales eclipses the US sales significantly for a game in a major worldwide franchise, it is not good. We'll really have to see how BbS and PW does in the US before speculating any further though. I don't see a point in suggesting that games should be ported to other platforms for financial reasons before the games are even out.

Alright you shown me the error of my ways, good post. Never realized it took so much manpower for them to make these top grade PSP games, always figured handheld = low man team (can still be a talented team though)

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Do you really think the Star Ocean brand has completely faded away? I'm not saying it hasn't because I don't really have a good feel for it either way, but if the SO brand is still strong, it should easily do over 200k on the PS3. I don't think it'll do ToV numbers because it doesn't really have that level of strong word of mouth, but Star Ocean is still not a new IP, which helps a lot.

Comgnet data suggest that the game is going to tank badly (<100k FW for sure). And I know the info is not always absolutely reliable but I share that feeling.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Comgnet data suggest that the game is going to tank badly (<100k FW for sure). And I know the info is not always absolutely reliable but I share that feeling.

Yeah. I know its not that reliable, but its really really doing poorly on comgnet and lepton.

duckroll

schuelma said:
Yeah. I know its not that reliable, but its really really doing poorly on comgnet and lepton.

I see. Well, I guess that wraps it up for Star Ocean if that's true. I'm not going to miss it, that's for sure. I hope it'll push tri-Ace to work with more publishers instead of just Square Enix, and give their portfolio a more diverse and hopefully more polished overall range.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
PSP 52,909
Wii 45,167
PS3 26,966
DSi LL 24,059
DSi 20,373
DS Lite 4,966
Xbox 360 3,343
PS2 2,088
PSP go 1,773

PSP, DS, and Wii are pretty much even.

PS3 is falling pretty hard..equal to Wii 2009 right now.

donny2112

schuelma said:
PSP, DS, and Wii are pretty much even.

PS3 is falling pretty hard..equal to Wii 2009 right now.

Consoles tend to finally be over the holiday hump come mid-February. Still a few weeks to go to see where things shake out. Remember the "new PS3 baseline" talk in mid-January last year?

selig

Banned
So, if O´Neill is the Wii´s lineup while Apophis is the PS3´s, didnt a lot of people say that the Wii would be Dr. Jackson, whilst PS3 would be Jonas Quinn? What happened?

Top Bottom