• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Mar 1-7, 2010

Anyone with the word on how games are doing in stores this week? Vinnk gave the word last week. Curious if Muramasa's still selling out in some stores.

MemoirsofMimi said:
So what if Nintendo came out with a unique Pokemon spin-off - would sales be higher than usual or would they continue to decline?

PokePark Wii?

this week we have :

51KXp3dOnML._SL160_SL125_.jpg

vs.

41lCPAGcnUL._SL160_AA160_.jpg
&#12288;&#12288;<----
yes, it's Square-Enix

:lol :lol :lol

m3k

do we have a total dragon wquest 9 number now, or is the rerelease counted seperately? is this a sales age no no?

The Spoony Hou said:
Why did S-E re-release three DQ at the same time?

Yeah, I know, for the same reason Nintendo re-released half a dozen Wii games at the same time... But that reason just escapes me.
Budget rereleases are entirely legs. Any first week competition is canceled out by greater public knowledge of HEY GUYS ALL DQ IS CHEAP COME GET IT.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Budget rereleases are entirely legs. Any first week competition is canceled out by greater public knowledge of HEY GUYS ALL DQ IS CHEAP COME GET IT.
Oh, I see... Many re-releases = One big release.

So I notice the Famitsu software pie is screwed up this week. Due to rounding things sometimes add up to 99.9 or 100.1%, but this week's comes to 101%. I'll even venture to guess which is wrong: the last one representing "Other" sales. Let me show you what percent it got for recent weeks, and you decide if the most recent seems like a typo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JoshuaJSlone said:
So I notice the Famitsu software pie is screwed up this week. Due to rounding things sometimes add up to 99.9 or 100.1%, but this week's comes to 101%. I'll even venture to guess which is wrong: the last one representing "Other" sales. Let me show you what percent it got for recent weeks, and you decide if the most recent seems like a typo.

Hey man, clearly the WonderSwan is just making a come back!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
slaughterking said:
Strange Journey is considered a strong seller? No wonder they were not prepared to ship more games.

My first thought.

But at the end its an DS Game and they already had the engine running thanks to EO - guess they made their money back.

C.T.

apujanata said:
What was that rabbit thingy game ? Alice in Wonderland ? :lol :lol :lol

It's Miffy, a popular dutch mascot. Somehow the japanese love it. I think a ds game had been released recently too.

yugioh5ds estimates or whatever they are, for last week:

NDS Pokemon Ranger 3 - 68k / 234k
PSP Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida Or 3D (Badman 3) - 40k
PSP Shin Sangoku Musou MULTI RAID 2 - 40k
PS3 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 30k
360 Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 19k
NDS RPG Maker DS - 24k
PSP Zettai Hero (NI last chance?) - 23k

Ranger 3 2nd week is below 1 and 2 despite the Saturday release (which should have made 2nd week bigger than usual). 3rd Badman is below the 2nd, Multi Raid 2 crashed and burned, Zettai Hero is quite under usual numbers for NI Disgaea-team games.

Guess 50k is good for Battefield, RPG Maker DS also seems good, PS2 RPG Maker 5 did 27k first week and GBA RPG Maker Advance did only 11k.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Oh no. N1 going out of business. :(
Obviously they're just going to have to explore new avenues of business.

Perhaps they can get Level 5 to use them as a workhouse in the same way they've adopted Brownie Brown.

Yeah, they're pretty much completely screwed either way.
:lol

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/16/mhp_3rd_announced/
Capcom CEO Haruhiro Tsujimoto said, "... Among the titles, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, released on March 27, 2008, is still being purchased, and we aim for total 4 million shipments by the end of March."
Damn, its nearing 3.8m sold so I guess they are keeping a good amount on shelves. I don't even remember noting its over DQVIII (with ultimate hits) so it has sold more than any PS2 game. Its also close to PSX DQVII by Famitsu (3.893m)...

Btw, amazon.co.jp has Pokemon Ranger 3 and Multi Raid 2 31-32% off, which is a bit more than usual. Given we know Nintendo shipped 400k first week (going by famitsu sell through), I guess they are in a hurry to move it quicker (same with mr2)?

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
duckroll said:
Oh no. N1 going out of business. :(

Is Zettai Hero that game that N1 was working along with Capcom (?) in a super-duper deluxe team? Or am I confusing titles?

Bebpo

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP Zettai Hero (NI last chance?) - 23k

bomb. No more original titles for PSP by N1.

N1 will at least survive as a company until they release Disgaea 4 for PS3 in the fall. If that doesn't keep them afloat, they're gone.

donny2112

Dash Kappei said:
3 pages... new all-time low.

Nah. I updated the MC Posts graph last December (didn't post it, though), and the last time the thread didn't make 130 posts was Apr 24-30, 2006 at 116 posts (a short week due to Golden Week). A lot of 2005 was below 200 posts, though.

This thread usually suffers on NPD week, and it was exacerbated this time by the Sony GDC conference happening a day before NPD. The Sony conference drained NPD participation, and both drained this thread.

Just throwing that out there. :p

Osuwari said:
i guess these threads are like DS sales. the golden days are long gone.
There just isn't any controversy anymore. People have adjusted to the current narrative and nothing surprises them now. These threads will continue their slow decline until next gen, I think.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
There just isn't any controversy anymore. People have adjusted to the current narrative and nothing surprises them now. These threads will continue their slow decline until next gen, I think.
We don't have to wait too long (DS 2).

EDarkness

viciouskillersquirrel said:

This gen is pretty much done and we know where everyone is standing. I don't expect anything to really change until next gen starts. There will be some blips here and there, but overall there isn't much to see.

DiscoJer

Bebpo said:
bomb. No more original titles for PSP by N1.

N1 will at least survive as a company until they release Disgaea 4 for PS3 in the fall. If that doesn't keep them afloat, they're gone.

There's always Prinny 2 and the UMD release of Disagea Infinite.

Anyway, seems kind of odd for NIS to release two rogue-like games so close to each other (I think classic dungeon is more action RPGish, but still sorta like one).

Especially as the genre is perhaps even more niche than SRPGs. I think only Shiren and Chocobo Mystery Dungeon ever sold hugely, and Shiren seems to be losing steam.

Probably should have tried a Dissidia clone (like Falcom is) or
maybe a Monster Hunter clone (though with Raid 2 bombing, perhaps that genre is getting tapped out).

Or maybe another SRPG. I know the La Pucelle port didn't do great, but that was sort of bare bones compared to the Disgaea series.

EDarkness said:
This gen is pretty much done and we know where everyone is standing. I don't expect anything to really change until next gen starts. There will be some blips here and there, but overall there isn't much to see.

Yup, exactly. We're moving into year 5 for 360 and year 4 for ps3/wii. This generation is done. The question now is - who's going to launch first for next gen - Microsoft or Nintendo.

EDarkness said:

nextgeneration said:
Yup, exactly. We're moving into year 5 for 360 and year 4 for ps3/wii. This generation is done. The question now is - who's going to launch first for next gen - Microsoft or Nintendo.

I think NA and European sales numbers could be interesting this year with the release of move and Natal and potential price drops.

I think both of these will have no impact in Japan whatsoever (Natal goes without saying obviously). So i guess they won't really have much effect on these threads.

A DS2 release might cause a bit of a stir though. Especially if it released with a new pokemon:D .

AdventureRacing said:
I think NA and European sales numbers could be interesting this year with the release of move and Natal and potential price drops.

I think both of these will have no impact in Japan whatsoever (Natal goes without saying obviously). So i guess they won't really have much effect on these threads.

A DS2 release might cause a bit of a stir though. Especially if it released with a new pokemon:D .

True, Natal and Move will definitely add some spice into the mix, but I don't think it's going to be anything significant - we'll see, though. Yeah, DS 2 would be very interesting, assuming it gets announced at E3.

hxa155 said:
They'll be back when the next gen begins.

I don't think it's just because this gen has been going so long so much as because sales have slowed down.

People are much more interested when there is big selling HW or SW whichever platform that might be on.

I also think that GAF tends to prefer home consoles in general and right now none of them are really posting very big numbers for HW or SW hence the lack of interest.

So it might not take a next gen console to spur these threads on a bit.

apujanata

nextgeneration said:

When was the last time Nintendo launch their home console FIRST ? I am pretty sure GCN and Wii are not the first. I am not at my home computer now, so I couldn't check my famitsu. But IIRC, N64 is released AFTER PS.

I am betting on Microsoft going first.

Road

Famitsu Top 10, Mar. 8 - 14:

1. [NDS] Pokemon Ranger: Path of Light
2. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid 2
3. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuseni Namaikida 3D
4. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection
5. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6. [PS3] Battlefield: Bad Company 2
7. [PSP] Zettai Hero
8. [WII] Wii Fit Plus
9. [NDS] RPG Maker DS
10. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX (Ultimate Hits)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1233081_1796.html

And I blame NSMBWii for slow threads.

Szu

apujanata said:
When was the last time Nintendo launch their home console FIRST ? I am pretty sure GCN and Wii are not the first. I am not at my home computer now, so I couldn't check my famitsu. But IIRC, N64 is released AFTER PS.

I am betting on Microsoft going first.

No quite sure if it counts, but Ninendo did launch the NES during a time when there was no immediate competition. The Atari home consoles were pretty much a non-factor at that point.

The remaining home console, the Super Famicon (it came out before the SNES), was released after the PC Engine and the Sega Mega Drive.

duckroll

Looks like Zettai Hero definitely sold above 20k but under 30k. That's... really bad for a main N1 team game. The worst sales yet. It probably won't have any legs either. At this rate I honestly expect Disgaea 4 to sell worse than Disgaea 3, and for Nippon Ichi to either be bought over by Atlus in 2011, or closed down entirely. Too bad.

Famitsu top 50's out.

duckroll guessed correctly:

7. [PSP] Zettai Hero 28,500 74%

Muramasa's not in the top 50 again, but One Piece is still there:

38. [Wii] One Piece Unlimited Cruise Ep. 1 (ES) 3,700/14,900/63%

And oh dear god at Red Seeds Profile/Deadly Premonition/Rainy Woods:

[PS3] Red Seeds Profile 1,300 34%
[360] Red Seeds Profile 600 39%

Even with a low shipment, that's just... ugh.

nextgeneration said:

Sony is by far the company with the least to lose and most to gain from launching their next-gen system first. Microsoft could easily wind up first since they were first last time. Nintendo has absolutely no reason to even consider getting out to market first.

apujanata said:
When was the last time Nintendo launch their home console FIRST ?

The last time Nintendo ever launched a system less than a year after its nearest competitor was the Nintendo DS. The last time before that was the NES, and that was mostly due to the whole "videogame crash" situation.

The last time a home-console generation marketshare winner launched their followup system before at least one competitor did is never.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
charlequin said:
The last time a home-console generation marketshare winner launched their followup system before at least one competitor did is never.

... assuming you could the Dreamcast as competition to the PS2, sure.

I mention this, because the way I see it, looking at the PS2 brings us one of three possibilities:

- 1) PS2 is a response to the Dreamcast/Sega, in which case it's meaningful to say that the market leader is never going to launch their console first. Of course, why would they respond to the Dreamcast? It never took off, it was never going to take off, and the Saturn was also a dismal failure so it's not like they would have been worried about Sega catching up.

- 2) PS2 is a response to GCN/Nintendo, in which case a market leader HAS launched their console first and I don't think we can make the argument that Nintendo wouldn't fire first based on historical precedent.

- 3) PS2 was done for its own sake, because Sony wanted to reinvigorate development or take advantage of a newly opened space or whatever else, in which case the entire conversation is a stupid one to have because whether Nintendo launches a new console or not is not going to be linked to how badly they're spanking the PS3.

donny2112

charlequin said:

Almost nothing about this generation is normal, though. e.g. When is the last time that the industry in general shunned the far-and-away market leader when it came to their biggest pushed games?

Nintendo will launch when Nintendo wants to launch. Due to the quirks of this generation on the HD side (high launch cost taking a very long time to drop and delayed profitability from the business) necessitating a pushing out of their lifespans, Nintendo could launch 6 years after the release of the Wii (i.e. longer than usual since the SNES) and still be first to the market. :lol

Stumpokapow said:
... assuming you could the Dreamcast as competition to the PS2, sure.

I mention this, because the way I see it, looking at the PS2 brings us one of three possibilities:

Actually, I think it's easy to resolve all of this if you look at things from a 1998-1999 perspective and then follow time forward. During the 32-bit generation, there were three hardware companies: Sega, Sony, and Nintendo. Without information about the future that no one had access to at the time, you would probably assume at the time that these would once again be the competitors in the following generation, and Sony probably began preparations for their system launch based on this intel.

If you were a Sony exec in 1998 and trying to plot out your next generation system launch based on the leaked info floating around, you'd know that Sega of Japan was rushing out a new system to try to move past the moribund Saturn, and that Nintendo was tentatively planning a new system for a launch in 2000. Given that situation, Sony launching in 2000, after one competitor and near-simultaneously with the other, makes sense from the standpoint of "as market leader, you probably launch a new system more in response to competitive pressure than internal pressure."

Now of course that's not how it actually played out, because Nintendo wound up pushing their launch back a year from their original estimates and Microsoft entered the business almost literally at the last possible second, and of course the Dreamcast had so little backing and sales appeal that the PS2 completely stomped it right away. But Sony certainly marketed the system like the Dreamcast was their "real" competition in the early days and you'd find a lot of historical documents that thought of the generational battle in those terms back in the day.

donny2112 said:
Almost nothing about this generation is normal, though.

I agree completely. :lol We can't base our expectations purely on historical precedent for a host of reasons. I think it's worthwhile to know what precedent is, though, because when precedent is broken you want to be able to explain why clearly.

If someone said "the Gamecube's successor will have no graphical bump" in 2004, for example, you'd probably call them an idiot, and I'd say you'd be right to. Without additional knowledge (of the motion controller) such a move would be completely nonsensical.

I think you can probably construct a theory for why Nintendo would rush a Wii successor to market, but launching as late as possible is so clearly ingrained both for market leaders and for Nintendo specifically, and the monetary benefits of taking this approach are so huge, that I think someone needs to produce a pretty compelling argument to explain why Nintendo would walk away from that precedent and that benefit.

donny2112 said:
Due to the quirks of this generation on the HD side (high launch cost taking a very long time to drop and delayed profitability from the business) necessitating a pushing out of their lifespans, Nintendo could launch 6 years after the release of the Wii (i.e. longer than usual since the SNES) and still be first to the market. :lol

Okay, that's a good point. My big objection to most of the "omg wii 2 any day now" arguments is that people are literally suggesting that Nintendo is going to cut the Wii down after four years on the market, which strikes me as completely ludicrous.

However, if we go through another two years on the market, another round of pricecuts, exhaust a little more of the well of first-party software potential, the Wii will start to be in a position more like where the DS is now where a replacement starts to look both viable and sensible on its own merits regardless of how the competition is moving.

Top Bottom