• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales: May 24-30

Vinci

Danish
BowieZ said:
The question is... can or should anything be done about it?

Yeah. Nintendo should make more 2D Mario games.

Is there a way to go back to the drawing board with this concept of "Mario in 3 dimensions"?

The 3D Mario games still sell well. They just don't sell as well as the 2D Mario games or the more blue-ocean specific stuff. That's not a big deal. Not every title Nintendo releases needs to set the world on fire - it just needs to be profitable, and I'd imagine 3D Mario is.

*shrugs*

Glix

Stumpokapow said:
there's no evidence either way because there are no 2.5d-ala-Klonoa platformers except Klonoa, Tomba... and... uh... no, that's just about it.

Pandemonium? :)

Tomba 1 is an amazing game, btw.

BowieZ

Banned
Vinci said:

*shrugs*
Shrugs, indeed. It all seems so unusually and stubbornly 'hopeless' (in the true sense of the word, obviously 9 million global sales for SMG1 is not hopeless lol). After the insane creativity reaped by leaping into new technologies and dimensions and control schemes and introducing maps and hubs and all sorts of forward-thinking mechanics, all between the late 80s and 1995, the post-1995 era has seemed oddly rigid, to me, showing at best an abundance of somewhat superficial creativity, even in the face of the comparatively lagging sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vinci said:
The 3D Mario games still sell well. They just don't sell as well as the 2D Mario games or the more blue-ocean specific stuff. That's not a big deal. Not every title Nintendo releases needs to set the world on fire - it just needs to be profitable, and I'd imagine 3D Mario is.

*shrugs*
One of the other key things about 3D Mario games is that they help sell the console to a different audience than 2D Mario and blue-ocean titles do.

This also seems to be the concept behind the Wii JRPGs Nintendo is currently publishing. They actually seem to want this market enough that they're willing to publish titles that might not end up making a profit.

BowieZ

Banned
Nirolak said:
One of the other key things about 3D Mario games is that they help sell the console to a different audience than 2D Mario and blue-ocean titles do.

This also seems to be the concept behind the Wii JRPGs Nintendo is currently publishing. They actually seem to want this market enough that they're willing to publish titles that might not end up making a profit.
Good point, and I guess the tutorial/cosmic guide elements is merely an attempt to squeeze out every last sale possible and an experiment to see how much of a difference it might make.

We will see.

But I do have a feeling the next few E3s will have something quite unexpected in store for Mario fans.

Vinci

Danish
BowieZ said:
But I do have a feeling the next few E3s will have something quite unexpected in store for Mario fans.

Good lord, I hope not. They go back to the 2D Mario is just for handhelds bullshit again, I'm going to hate them for good this time.

Jokeropia

BowieZ said:
There's simply no reason why the 'big new 3D Mario game' shouldn't be an astronomical seller, even greater than those he listed.
Based on what? Wistful thinking? Should we also be disappointed whenever the latest Metroid or the latest Zelda fail to sell 20 million copies worldwide?

Based on empirical data, some games/genres are simply less popular than others for various reasons, and if I'm to speculate I think accessibility is the primary factor in this case. 3D platformer gameplay is more complex and intimidating for inexperienced gamers than 2D gameplay.
BowieZ said:
The question is... can or should anything be done about it? Is there a way to go back to the drawing board with this concept of "Mario in 3 dimensions"?
No no no. Not every game has to sell 20 million copies, and games that don't shouldn't be drastically changed just to make them sell more. Besides, why remove 3D gameplay from 3D Mario when we already have a 2D Mario franchise that is very much alive? If you must have 2.5D (though I don't really see the point), try it in 2D Mario instead.
BowieZ said:
After the insane creativity reaped by leaping into new technologies and dimensions and control schemes and introducing maps and hubs and all sorts of forward-thinking mechanics, all between the late 80s and 1995, the post-1995 era has seemed oddly rigid, to me, showing at best an abundance of somewhat superficial creativity, even in the face of the comparatively lagging sales.
If you're actually calling SMG "superficially creative", I sincerely hope Nintendo never ever listens to anything you say ever. =P Now had they made a 2.5D Super Mario Bros instead (like you appeared to be proposing), that would've been superficial creativity. (If even that.)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:

Agreed.

*shrugs*

What puzzles me more about the whole 2D vs. 3D Mario from a business standpoint is that for some reason Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make a direct sequel to a 3D Mario when the first one didn't help the Wii momentum much and didn't perform as well as Mario 64, but on the other hand they waited God-knows-how-many-years to make new 2D Mario titles again.

Also, assuming Nintendo is really trying to get people to buy and enjoy 3D Mario on the same level as 2D Mario, I find the way they've been handling the marketing for SMG1 and SMG2 a bit insulting, to be honest, and downright stupid in some respects. 2D sections? Really? How about more games that are fully 2D (besides, 2D sections in SMG1/2 play nothing like those in 2D Mario, so there's no point)? Also, an introductory DVD? Give me a break. Tutorials never achieved the purpose to get more people to play a game, so a DVD won't change that. If I had to rationalize the decision, I'd say the development of SMG2 was too far along when Nintendo noticed that it did nothing for momentum and decided to just run with it to avoid wasting money and because it would keep the fans happy. Plus SMG still sells really well. They threw in the DVD to test the waters and to make the package stand out on store shelves or something. At least that's the only explanation I can find to justify making a straight sequel (again, talking business here), but I'm willing to hear other theories.

We'll see if the next 3D Mario is different. I'd like to see a new take on 3D Mario. Not in a "more approachable" kind of way —not too confident about Zelda by the way— but more appealing to people in general (think 2D Mario-appealing). I suppose that involves changing the structure of the levels much more than Galaxy did, and/or changing the environments, controls and physics.

Vinci said:
Good lord, I hope not. They go back to the 2D Mario is just for handhelds bullshit again, I'm going to hate them for good this time.

Let's hope that the sales numbers worked their magic and made Nintendo realize just how important 2D Mario is — on handheld AND home consoles.

Vinci

Danish
Kilrogg said:
What puzzles me more about the whole 2D vs. 3D Mario from a business standpoint is that for some reason Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make a direct sequel to a 3D Mario when the first one didn't help the Wii momentum much and didn't perform as well as Mario 64, but on the other hand they waited God-knows-how-many-years to make new 2D Mario titles again.

They like to make 3D Mario games. That's the deal. I don't blame them, really, 'cause Galaxy is neat. I really enjoyed it. But, I mean, we like to think of Nintendo as purely logical in how they conduct themselves, but there's nothing logical about treating 2D Mario titles like second-class citizens.

Also, assuming Nintendo is really trying to get people to buy and enjoy 3D Mario on the same level as 2D Mario, I find the way they've been handling the marketing for SMG1 and SMG2 a bit insulting, to be honest, and downright stupid in some respects. 2D sections? Really? How about more games that are fully 2D (besides, 2D sections in SMG1/2 play nothing like those in 2D Mario, so there's no point)? Also, an introductory DVD? Give me a break. Tutorials never achieved the purpose to get more people to play a game, so a DVD won't change that. If I had to rationalize the decision, I'd say the development of SMG2 was too far along when Nintendo noticed that it did nothing for momentum and decided to just run with it to avoid wasting money and because it would keep the fans happy. Plus SMG still sells really well. They threw in the DVD to test the waters and to make the package stand out on store shelves or something. At least that's the only explanation I can find to justify making a straight sequel (again, talking business here), but I'm willing to hear other theories.

I think they just don't have any other ideas. Galaxy's design was meant to streamline the experience as much as possible while keeping some complexity in how you interact with the environment. The DVD, the tutorials (good lord, we need tutorials, don't we?), and the Cosmic Guide are just ways to trick their way into a larger market.

We'll see if the next 3D Mario is different. I'd like to see a new take on 3D Mario. Not in a "more approachable" kind of way —not too confident about Zelda by the way— but more appealing to people in general (think 2D Mario-appealing). I suppose that involves changing the structure of the levels much more than Galaxy did, and/or changing the environments, controls and physics.

I'm cautious of Zelda. And as much as I love Mario Galaxy, I think it would be a nice idea to ground the next 3D Mario title in the Mushroom Kingdom. The last three haven't focused on it at all, and that might help to make it more familiar to the 2D Mario fans. If that doesn't work, they're not bridging that gap and need to keep pumping out both 2D and 3D Mario titles.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Vinci said:
I think they just don't have any other ideas. Galaxy's design was meant to streamline the experience as much as possible while keeping some complexity in how you interact with the environment. The DVD, the tutorials (good lord, we need tutorials, don't we?), and the Cosmic Guide are just ways to trick their way into a larger market.

The bolded is exactly what I meant, and precisely what I don't like. At some point it's not the accessibility that's the "problem" (inasmuch as there's a problem with a multi-million seller like SMG) but the game itself. If Nintendo wants 3D Mario to become as relevant as 2D Mario, they have to come up with a new 3D formula.

I'm cautious of Zelda. And as much as I love Mario Galaxy, I think it would be a nice idea to ground the next 3D Mario title in the Mushroom Kingdom. The last three haven't focused on it at all, and that might help to make it more familiar to the 2D Mario fans. If that doesn't work, they're not bridging that gap and need to keep pumping out both 2D and 3D Mario titles.

Right. That, and making the gameplay structure more akin to that of 2D Mario. That is to say no visiting different parts of any given level looking for stars to collect, but instead, a 1 level = 1 goal formula, with maybe more action. I always thought Mario was much slower and less agile (despite having a wider array of moves) in the 3D space than in the 2D space. 2D Mario runs really fast and moves around the levels with so much ease! 3D Mario handles slowly in comparison. That's the main reason why I hate the 2D sections in SMG (the other being that they're emptier than in 2D Mario).

To be clear though, I don't hate SMG (heck, I played it for 60 hours). It's the best 3D Mario I've ever played, and in fact, it's the only one I like. I just think, given how I felt about the game, that it will grow stale way faster than 2D Mario for me. SMG was day one for me. SMG 2 I might buy some day. I likely wouldn't buy an SMG 3.

Kilrogg said:

I don't see how that's a contradiction, though. You're talking about decisions made by different people at different times, in different contexts. There are basically two distinct periods of how Nintendo treated "Super Mario" as a franchise:

June 24, 1996 - May 14, 2006: Mario brand is underutilized, misapplied, and generally treated like crap
May 15, 2006 - present: Mario brand is leveraged around its core competencies in multiple subgenres via tentpole releases on both of Nintendo's currently supported systems

(I look forward to the day when I can stop the first category and start the second for the Zelda brand. :lol )

These two periods also closely correlate with something else: the period where Nintendo was squandering and misusing their own brand (by associating it with the problematic N64 and the disastrous GameCube) and the period where their own brand was resurgent (due to brilliant management of the DS and Wii.)

Your point basically seems to be that, well, SMG neither sells as well nor appeals to your specific tastes as well as NSMB, so they should just stop making it, but I don't think either is really relevant. There's room for SMG as a supplement to NSMB in a way that there isn't really room for twice as many entries of NSMB (which would risk commodifying it and hurting the brand, as well as stepping on the toes of the previous entries' legs.)

As it is, since Nintendo came around, they've basically done pretty close to everything right with "Mario." They brought back 2D Mario games as one of the biggest franchises in existence, spacing entries out just far enough that each can build up an insane quantity of leg-driven sales before the next one comes out (and thereby ensuring that their second attempt was a huge improvement over the first.) They took 3D Mario (badly tarnished by SMS) and remade it into an absolute critical darling that's still amongst Nintendo's best-selling core games worldwide (and which is probably their single best effort so far to retain the interest of core gamers on the system). And most importantly, they've successfully created a brand distinction between the two such that people know exactly what to expect from either, and it's clear that 2D and 3D Mario are two different types of games, both of which Nintendo intends to support. This way the really dedicated core gamers have been able to get just shy of one excellent "Mario" platformer on average per year since 2006, the casual gamers can all throw in together on the more accessible NSMBW, and Nintendo makes a ton of money.

Inasmuch as there's a problem, it's that the Japanese just plum don't like 3D platformers and so a globally ideal choice (develop SMG1 and 2 to much acclaim and very solid sales in the West) is not also locally ideal. The specific efforts they're making to sell the Japanese on it aren't maybe the best, but I'm doubtful that there's an alternative strategy that would've been more effective, and either way I don't think they can magic that type of gameplay into being as popular as the side-scrolling variety, so they really shouldn't worry about it.

selig

Banned
Xenoblade prediction: 80k first week, might do 250k LTD, depending on how week 2 and week 3 turn out to be. At least that´s what I hope for.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
selig said:
Xenoblade prediction: 80k first week, might do 250k LTD, depending on how week 2 and week 3 turn out to be. At least that´s what I hope for.

RPG's don't have those kind of legs.

Sagitario

charlequin said:
June 24, 1996 - May 14, 2006: Mario brand is underutilized, misapplied, and generally treated like crap
May 15, 2006 - present: Mario brand is leveraged around its core competencies in multiple subgenres via tentpole releases on both of Nintendo's currently supported systems

(I look forward to the day when I can stop the first category and start the second for the Zelda brand. :lol )

Please, explain...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Oh boy, hope we won't have to type 10 posts each only to conclude that we're pretty much on the same page this time, charlequin :lol.

charlequin said:
I don't see how that's a contradiction, though. You're talking about decisions made by different people at different times, in different contexts. There are basically two distinct periods of how Nintendo treated "Super Mario" as a franchise:

Nothing to add here, except the end: I'm looking forward to it too!

These two periods also closely correlate with something else: the period where Nintendo was squandering and misusing their own brand (by associating it with the problematic N64 and the disastrous GameCube) and the period where their own brand was resurgent (due to brilliant management of the DS and Wii.)

Right. While I was sane enough at the time not to care about all that, ignore the N64 and go with the PS1, in retrospect I wonder how they managed to mismanage their brand so bad that they even forgot about 2D Mario entirely.

Your point basically seems to be that, well, SMG neither sells as well nor appeals to your specific tastes as well as NSMB, so they should just stop making it, but I don't think either is really relevant. There's room for SMG as a supplement to NSMB in a way that there isn't really room for twice as many entries of NSMB (which would risk commodifying it and hurting the brand, as well as stepping on the toes of the previous entries' legs.)

While I can see why you'd think that, it's actually a bit different. I was never that much of a Mario fan (2D or 3D) in the first place, but I actually like SMG1 (and NSMBWii). I just think it'll grow stale more quickly. Also, you're saying "SMG" but I'm looking at 3D Mario as a whole. Assuming Nintendo is trying to make 3D Mario as relevant as 2D Mario (which might or might not be the case), I think they have to take a good, hard look at the formula and change it. If they're fine with it and its sales, good for them, but they have to avoid making too many direct sequels if they want to avoid staleness. I guess one direct sequel (SMG2) isn't too much, but it's just a bit weird to me considering they'd never done it with 3D Mario. This is one of those cases where I think Nintendo has missed an opportunity to take a risk (by having SMG2 developers work on something else, be it an existing franchise or a new IP).

I'm not saying "well, if SMG's getting a sequel so early, then so should NSMB Wii!" That would be stupid and risky for the reasons you cited.

As it is, since Nintendo came around, they've basically done pretty close to everything right with "Mario." They brought back 2D Mario games as one of the biggest franchises in existence, spacing entries out just far enough that each can build up an insane quantity of leg-driven sales before the next one comes out (and thereby ensuring that their second attempt was a huge improvement over the first.) They took 3D Mario (badly tarnished by SMS) and remade it into an absolute critical darling that's still amongst Nintendo's best-selling core games worldwide (and which is probably their single best effort so far to retain the interest of core gamers on the system). And most importantly, they've successfully created a brand distinction between the two such that people know exactly what to expect from either, and it's clear that 2D and 3D Mario are two different types of games, both of which Nintendo intends to support. This way the really dedicated core gamers have been able to get just shy of one excellent "Mario" platformer on average per year since 2006, the casual gamers can all throw in together on the more accessible NSMBW, and Nintendo makes a ton of money.

Oh, I definitely agree that they've done an incredible job with Mario as a whole since 2005. Not only was I not a big fan of 2D and 3D Mario, I also was not a big fan or Mario Kart. The DS and Wii made me like all 3 of them, so I should know :p. It's just that this whole tricking/educating thing — i.e. the 2D sections, advertising campaign and DVD tutorial — doesn't make much sense to me, just as making a direct sequel doesn't make much sense to me either. Except maybe — I already hate what I'm oing to say — to earn hardcore cred and keep fans happy in the short term.

Inasmuch as there's a problem, it's that the Japanese just plum don't like 3D platformers and so a globally ideal choice (develop SMG1 and 2 to much acclaim and very solid sales in the West) is not also locally ideal. The specific efforts they're making to sell the Japanese on it aren't maybe the best, but I'm doubtful that there's an alternative strategy that would've been more effective, and either way I don't think they can magic that type of gameplay into being as popular as the side-scrolling variety, so they really shouldn't worry about it.

Fair enough. I'm just saying they should try one day, instead of waving accessibility gimmicks at the consumers. Failing that, holding up to the standards they've set themselves would be enough (in this case, making each and every title in the 3D Mario series unique, given its importance. Something they temporarily stopped doing when they chose to make SMG2).

I'll just say this though: Mario Kart, while popular ever since Super Mario Kart, reached its sales and popularity peak with MKDS and MKWii. The base game is the same as before, but the changes Nintendo made, coupled with the hardware phenomena that are the DS and the Wii, allowed it to enjoy 2D Mario-level of success. As far as I know, they didn't educate consumers with DVDs, Cosmic Guides and the like to achieve that, so my outlook is that maybe, just maybe, they could do the same with 3D Mario, but just haven't figured out how to do it just yet.

selig

Banned
schuelma said:
RPG's don't have those kind of legs.

Well, feel free to post your predictions, dear shuelma :D Though, of course, I realize what you´re saying. My 80k first week-prediction is at the higher end of realistic predictions, while the 250k LTD is what I, unrealistically, hope for.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Strangely enough Wii has some (dated) games coming the upcoming months

10/06/10
[WII] Xenoblade (Nintendo)
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii: Duet Kyokuhen (Hudson)
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii: Enka Kayoukyouku Hen (Hudson)
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City (Rockstar Games)
[PS3] Just Cause 2 (Square Enix)
[PS3] Saints Row 2 [THQ Collection] (THQ)
[360] Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City (Rockstar Games)
[360] Just Cause 2 (Square Enix)
[360] Saints Row 2 [Platinum Collection] (THQ)

17/06/10
[WII] Trauma Team (Atlus Co.)
[WII] Spectrobes: Origins (Disney Interactive)
[PS3] Hakuoki: Junsouroku (Idea Factory)
[PS3] Clash of the Titans (Bandai Namco)
[PS3] Race Driver: Grid [Codemasters the Best] (Codemasters)
[360] Clash of the Titans (Bandai Namco)

24/06/10
[WII] SD Gundam: Gashapon Wars (Bandai Namco)
[WII] Twinkle Queen (Milestone)
[PS3] Atelier Totori: Alchemist of Arland 2 (Gust)
[PS3] Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
[PS3] White Album: Tsuzurareru Fuyu no Omoide (Aqua Plus)
[360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Beginner's Package) (Capcom)
[360] Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft)
[360] Sengoku Hime 2 (System Soft Alpha)

01/07/10
[PS3] Blazblue Continum: Shift (Arc System Works)
[360] Blazblue Continum: Shift (Arc System Works)

08/07/10
[WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
[WII] Deca Sports 2 [Hudson the Best] (Hudson)
[PS3] White Knight Chronicles: The Awaken of the Light & Darkness (SCE)
[PS3] Dead to Rights: Retribution (Bandai Namco)
[PS3] Red Faction: Guerrilla [Spike the Best] (Spike)
[PS3] Tomb Raider: Underworld [Spike the Best] (Spike)
[360] Crackdown 2 (Microsoft Game Studios)
[360] Dead to Rights: Retribution (Bandai Namco)

15/07/10
[WII] Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road Victory (Square Enix)
[WII] We Cheer: Dancing Spirits! (Bandai Namco)
[WII] Buttobi Hero Crashman (Takara Tomy)
[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami)
[PS3] Class of Heroes 2G (Acquire)
[PS3] Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (English Version) (Electronic Arts)
[PS3] Naruto: Narutimate Storm [Playstation 3 the Best] (Bandai Namco)
[360] Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (English Version) (Electronic Arts)

22/07/10
[WII] Lost in Shadow (Hudson)
[PS3] Blur (Square Enix)
[360] Ninety-Nine Nights II (Konami)
[360] Blur (Square Enix)

29/07/10
[WII] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom)
[WII] Aim!! Fishing Master: Challenge the World! [Hudson the Best] (Hudson)
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 (Capcom)
[PS3] Chou Jigen Game: Neptune (Idea Factory)
[PS3] ModNation Racers (SCE)
[360] Memories Off: Yubikiri no Kioku (5pb.)
[360] Agarest Senki Zero: Dawn of War (Compile Heart)
[360] Strike Witches: Shirogane no Tsubasa (CyberFront)
[360] Supreme Commander 2 (Square Enix)

05/08/10
[WII] Tetris Party Deluxe (Hudson)
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II: Special Edition (Ubisoft)
[360] Assassin's Creed II: Special Edition (Ubisoft)

12/08/10
-

19/08/10
[PS3] Another Century's Episode R (Bandai Namco)

26/08/10
[PS3] Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (Square Enix)
[PS3] Agarest Senki Zero [CH Selection] (Compile Heart)
[360] Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (Square Enix)
[360] Ore no Yome: Anata Dake no Hanayome (Idea Factory)

02/09/10
[WII] Metroid: Other M (Nintendo)
[PS3] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom)
[360] Dead Rising 2 (Capcom)

09/09/10
-

16/09/10
[PS3] Front Mission: Evolved (Square Enix)
[360] Halo: Reach (Microsoft Game Studios)
[360] Front Mission: Evolved (Square Enix)

Zen

Banned
Great numbers for SMG2! :D Peace Walker seems to be dropping off slowly. It could reach close to 800k LTD. This could be the first sign of it having some decent 'legs'. Has it been bargain binned yet?

Sagitario said:
Please, explain...

The Zelda franchise has been mismanaged since right after Majora's Mask, or arguably since right after Ocarina of Time. It doesn't know what it wants to do, it doesn't know who it wants to do it for, and (most importantly) it hasn't succeeded in doing it (whether "it" is racking up sales or winning over the critics.) The gameplay in Zelda games is stagnant, its focus on story is essentially a worst-of-both-worlds affair, it's not hard enough for core gamers but doesn't have any of the actual ease of approachability that something like NSMBW does for the casual market... It's like a whole franchise of Super Mario Sunshines.

Kilrogg said:
Oh boy, hope we won't have to type 10 posts each only to conclude that we're pretty much on the same page this time, charlequin :lol.

I think we got it down to like four this time. :lol

While I can see why you'd think that, it's actually a bit different. I was never that much of a Mario fan (2D or 3D) in the first place, but I actually like SMG1 (and NSMBWii). I just think it'll grow stale more quickly.

That's actually why I think it's worthwhile to strike while the iron is hot with SMG2. It's more like other "core" franchises in this way, and it fits the argument I made elsewhere on the forum about a hypothetical Uncharted 3 -- if SMG is popular and well-regarded, it's better to push out "more" of it now and earn the "core-crowd kudos" and 5+ million sales that'll produce, because ultimately I agree with you -- they'll have to completely reinvent "3D Mario" again in the future to keep it fresh anyway.

Basically, I think the SMG formula has around 2-3 games' worth of potential (as opposed to the SMB formula which Nintendo could probably keep working with for decades) so they might as well squeeze two games out of it now and save the next reinvention for the Super Wii.

Assuming Nintendo is trying to make 3D Mario as relevant as 2D Mario (which might or might not be the case)

I hope it isn't because I don't think there is literally any way in which it is possible. Someone might be able to convince me otherwise, but right now, my theory is that maneuvering a humaniform character in 3D space is fundamentally less accessible than doing so in 2D space.

My assumption (and, at least, how I'd recommend to them they view it) is that they want 2D Mario to be the all-audiences, mass-market title while 3D Mario leverages the brand recognition of the same character into a core-audience-only title. I don't think there's much risk of confusing the core audience on this since they seem quite adept at buying every NSMB title and not buying every SMG title. :lol

It's just that this whole tricking/educating thing — i.e. the 2D sections, advertising campaign and DVD tutorial — doesn't make much sense to me, just as making a direct sequel doesn't make much sense to me either. Except maybe — I already hate what I'm oing to say — to earn hardcore cred and keep fans happy in the short term.

The 2D section thing is definitely kind of weird, I agree. The DVD I think is really just a "can we do this for like five hundred yen total cost? Yes? Sure, what the heck, throw it in"-type experiment. I do think the primary purpose of SMG2 is to do the last thing that you said. :D

I'll just say this though: Mario Kart, while popular ever since Super Mario Kart, reached its sales and popularity peak with MKDS and MKWii. The base game is the same as before, but the changes Nintendo made, coupled with the hardware phenomena that are the DS and the Wii, allowed it to enjoy 2D Mario-level of success.

I agree.

Vinci

Danish
Xenoblade will hit 60k its first week and maybe 120 LTD. I don't think it's going to do much, unless Famitsu's review does far more for it than I could imagine. Nintendo's kept the game too secret for too long.

donny2112

Kilrogg said:

If I had to rationalize the decision, I'd say the development of SMG2 was too far along when Nintendo noticed that it did nothing for momentum and decided to just run with it to avoid wasting money and because it would keep the fans happy.

Wasting money? FYI: You don't have to kill 3-D Mario games to get more 2-D Mario games. Stop playing it as one or the other. Both have worked on DS and Wii just fine.

Edit:
Dang, this is making me mad. So Nintendo should just kill any series that doesn't sell like 2-D Mario now? Fire Emblem? Kaput. F-Zero? Kaput. "It's not 2-D Mario, so it's just getting in the way!" If anything, you should be happy now that 3-D Mario is outside of Kyoto EAD, so Miyamoto can focus on things like 2-D Mario. 3-D Mario should be a null point to you now, and not an obstacle on the way to more 2-D Mario glory.

Zen

Banned
Kilrogg said:

If I had to rationalize the decision, I'd say the development of SMG2 was too far along when Nintendo noticed that it did nothing for momentum and decided to just run with it to avoid wasting money and because it would keep the fans happy.

Nintendo realizes that 3D Mario appeals greatly to a certain part of their fanbase, they aren't going to stop covering their bases just because they've had an explosion of popularity with more causal oriented software.

Heck following that 'they should kill 3d Mario logic' they should have killed Mario when it 'wasn't helping their momentum' and not selling close to their new Wii ____ software.

In other words, no.

gerg

Kilrogg said:
It's just that this whole tricking/educating thing — i.e. the 2D sections, advertising campaign and DVD tutorial — doesn't make much sense to me, just as making a direct sequel doesn't make much sense to me either. Except maybe — I already hate what I'm going to say — to earn hardcore cred and keep fans happy in the short term.

charlequin's definitely right when the inclusion of the DVD was a matter of cost, but I think in general it's a mistake to judge the selling power of all the changed elements of SMG 2 in a vacuum. If they have any effect it'll only ever be as a combined whole, and I doubt a consumer will think to themselves "Boy! That new, simpler map-system really makes me want to buy the latest 3D Mario game!"

Vinci

Danish
Zen said:
Nintendo realizes that 3D Mario appeals greatly to a certain part of their fanbase, they aren't going to stop covering their bases just because they've had an explosion of popularity with more causal oriented software.

I think this is putting his words in an unfair light. His point, at least as I read it, wasn't that they should stop 'covering their bases' with the 3D Mario fanbase, but that it was illogical and bizarre that they stopped 'covering their bases' with the much larger 2D Mario one.

They took 2D Mario games off of consoles for 18 years. Think about that. And it was 15 years between SMW and NSMB DS. And yes, that was immensely stupid.

Zen

Banned
Eh, fair enough. His first paragraph is contrasting the two products, but the second is still saying that they basically should have canceled Mario Galaxy 2. Hypothesizing they were unable to do so because it was too far along. To me that does equate to killing 3D Mario on the Wii.

The argument in his second paragraph isn't that Nintendo waiting so long to make another console 2D Mario is bizarre, it's that Mario Galaxy 2 should never have been made.

At least that's my read.

donny2112

Vinci said:
They took 2D Mario games off of consoles for 18 years. Think about that. And it was 15 years between SMW and NSMB DS. And yes, that was immensely stupid.

No doubt. However, he was directly portraying it as "2D vs. 3D Mario" and not 2-D and 3-D Mario. He basically said that if Nintendo could've known how NSMBWii would've sold in comparison to SMG that SMG2 wouldn't have ever been made (i.e. SMG2 was just "too far along" so they didn't want to "waste money"). Bullcrap.

Edit:
What Zen said. :)

Vinci

Danish
As far as I'm concerned, there should be a side-scroller Mario for the 3DS's launch and another for the Wii successor's launch. This should be a default aspect of any Nintendo system launching. They can bring out 3D Mario titles in the years between these, as many as they like. The 2D Mario style lends itself well to one-shots for each console and handheld generation, and it's obviously appealing to a massive casual audience so bring it out at launch to push adoption early.

gerg

Vinci said:
As far as I'm concerned, there should be a side-scroller Mario for the 3DS's launch and another for the Wii successor's launch. This should be a default aspect of any Nintendo system launching. They can bring out 3D Mario titles in the years between these, as many as they like. The 2D Mario style lends itself well to one-shots for each console and handheld generation, and it's obviously appealing to a massive casual audience so bring it out at launch to push adoption early.

Eventually, perhaps. But the current schedule isn't geared to the console lifecycle. With the 3DS launching in Japan this year, would a new 2D Mario title curtail NSMB Wii's sales?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
Eventually, perhaps. But the current schedule isn't geared to the console lifecycle. With the 3DS launching in Japan this year, would a new 2D Mario title curtail NSMB Wii's sales?
I want Nintendo to launch 3DS at 1/1/11 and not November/December 2010 so that everyone proves wrong about the release date. This date can work. It's Saturday.

Thanks to Road for finding it:

Enterbrain FGH2010
- Expects new hardware to sell 2,75 million units and 3,04 million copies of software in 2010.

DS launched at 02/12/04
It sold 1,1M of harware and 1,2M of software
PSP launched at 12/12/04
It sold 0,34M of harware and 0,55M of software

Enterbrain is definetely seeing 3DS release this year but predicted sw and hw numbers are very high, even if it rides DS success.

donny2112

Galaxy and Galaxy 2 came from the developers of Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, i.e. a great 2-D platformer on the GameCube, so even the developers of SMG aren't trying to hold back 2-D platforming. Trying to portray 3-D Mario as a hindrance to 2-D Mario is like trying to say purple is a hindrance to red. One is an expansion on the other, but they aren't in direct competition. Nintendo obviously isn't stongly averse to the idea of having one each of the 2-D and 3-D Mario's come out in a short time, as well. And they haven't been abandoning 2-D Mario for years, either. He's shown up in RPGs (the Bowser stages in Paper Mario: TTYD needed a full game made out of them) and in remakes (i.e. keeping the 2-D branding in the public eye; the lack of the 3rd and 4th series SMB3 cards with new SMB3 levels is still a crime against humanity).

I agree with charlequin that it's very unlikely that 3-D Mario in 3-D space will ever reach the popularity of 2-D Mario for core navigational reasons, at least. And that's fine. Not every game needs to be a 20m seller. The library is usually what makes a console "worth it" and not one particular game. I'm also fine with the idea that they should re-invent 3-D Mario every few iterations to keep it fresh. They shouldn't ever view it as 3-D Mario or 2-D Mario as a company direction, though. Both can get along, just fine.

BowieZ

Banned
charlequin said:
I hope it isn't because I don't think there is literally any way in which it is possible. Someone might be able to convince me otherwise, but right now, my theory is that maneuvering a humaniform character in 3D space is fundamentally less accessible than doing so in 2D space.
If only that were the only change that was made to Mario's 2D gameplay design in and since Super Mario 64.

There has never been a 3D Mario game where you are simply entering a level, getting to the flagpole at the end, moving to the next level, getting to the flagpole at the end, moving on, World 1, World 2, World 3, blah blah, Bowser's Castle, bam!, ending.

Why?

Kilrogg said:
I'll just say this though: Mario Kart, while popular ever since Super Mario Kart, reached its sales and popularity peak with MKDS and MKWii. The base game is the same as before, but the changes Nintendo made, coupled with the hardware phenomena that are the DS and the Wii, allowed it to enjoy 2D Mario-level of success. As far as I know, they didn't educate consumers with DVDs, Cosmic Guides and the like to achieve that, so my outlook is that maybe, just maybe, they could do the same with 3D Mario, but just haven't figured out how to do it just yet.

Kilrogg said:
The bolded is exactly what I meant, and precisely what I don't like. At some point it's not the accessibility that's the "problem" (inasmuch as there's a problem with a multi-million seller like SMG) but the game itself. If Nintendo wants 3D Mario to become as relevant as 2D Mario, they have to come up with a new 3D formula.
Right. That, and making the gameplay structure more akin to that of 2D Mario. That is to say no visiting different parts of any given level looking for stars to collect, but instead, a 1 level = 1 goal formula, with maybe more action. I always thought Mario was much slower and less agile (despite having a wider array of moves) in the 3D space than in the 2D space. 2D Mario runs really fast and moves around the levels with so much ease! 3D Mario handles slowly in comparison. That's the main reason why I hate the 2D sections in SMG (the other being that they're emptier than in 2D Mario).

To be clear though, I don't hate SMG (heck, I played it for 60 hours). It's the best 3D Mario I've ever played, and in fact, it's the only one I like. I just think, given how I felt about the game, that it will grow stale way faster than 2D Mario for me. SMG was day one for me. SMG 2 I might buy some day. I likely wouldn't buy an SMG 3.
Yeah, you are pretty much explaining things more eloquently than I am.

Busaiku

Chris1964 said:
DS launched at 02/12/04
It sold 1,1M of harware and 1,2M of software
PSP launched at 12/12/04
It sold 0,34M of harware and 0,55M of software

Enterbrain is definetely seeing 3DS release this year but predicted sw and hw numbers are very high, even if it rides DS success.
I wager they're expecting it to launch with much more time until the end of the year.
I'm thinking they're estimating probably a launch to coincide with Pokemon White/Black.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Glix said:
Pandemonium? :)

good point

i just checked my famitsu sheet, apparently both pandemonium games were released in japan, but i have literally no sales data for them. none for tomba either. :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Busaiku said:
I'm thinking they're estimating probably a launch to coincide with Pokemon White/Black.
If the release date was middle September and there was the supply we would look at 4-5M of hardware. It looks like early November.

donny2112

BowieZ said:
There has never been a 3D Mario game where you are simply entering a level, getting to the flagpole at the end, moving to the next level, getting to the flagpole at the end,

Adventure Mode in SSBM?

BowieZ said:

Takes more work to make a 3-D area than a 2-D one, so they want you to spend more time with it.

BowieZ

Banned
Takes more work to make a 3-D area than a 2-D one, so they want you to spend more time with it.
Who says you can't spend more time with it if you want to? Many people love exploring..?

donny2112 said:
Adventure Mode in SSBM?
Isn't that in 2D (2.5D)?

BowieZ said:
There has never been a 3D Mario game where you are simply entering a level, getting to the flagpole at the end, moving to the next level, getting to the flagpole at the end, moving on, World 1, World 2, World 3, blah blah, Bowser's Castle, bam!, ending.

There has never been a 2D Mario game where you are simply entering a level, getting to the star at the end, moving to the next level, getting to the star at the end, moving on, World 1, World 2, World 3, blah blah, Bowser's Galaxy Whatever, bam!, ending.

EDIT: I think that the biggest factor that makes 3D games more complicated from 2D games is that the end point isn't as easy to get to as going from left to right. With that said, the SMG2 is so far the best attempt to get 2D Mario games in 3D, but you can't really expect the simplicity of 2D to translate into 3D.

gerg

BowieZ said:

[...]

Who says you can't spend more time with it if you want to? Many people love exploring...?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you mean a 3D Mario game designed towards exploration? I'm pretty sure that that's what all the 3D Mario games have been designed towards, so I'm not sure what you would be saying there...

Do you mean a 3D Mario game where there is basically a linear path, but in 3D? I'd grant you that that would be a novelty, but that that would be a really sucky novelty.

Do you mean a 3D Mario where the actual gameplay is the same, but that the level system is much more akin to 2D Mario games? SMG 2 seems to be a movement in that direction, although I wonder how significant a change that alone would be.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BowieZ said:
You are thinking of Crash Bandicoot.

BowieZ

Banned
gerg said:
Do you mean a 3D Mario game where there is basically a linear path, but in 3D? I'd grant you that that would be a novelty, but that that would be a really sucky novelty.
This is closest to what I mean. I'm just saying that it seems like the logical progression from SMB1/2/3/Yoshi's Island to 3D. And it was never released -- whether or not it was attempted. But I think they went with the SM64 design with broad expansive explorable worlds not because they tried the more linear approach but failed, but because they simply wanted to show off how amazing traveling in all different directions would be.

Can you explain what would be sucky about a more faithful 3D-ification of, say, SMB3?

Chris1964 said:
You are thinking of Crash Bandicoot.
No, I'm not. The linearity in that game was extreme. Exploration was nil. And it wasn't a Mario game.

Meanwhile, each Crash Bandicoot game reached 1.3 million to 1.5 million copies in Japan, which is worth noting. Audiences certainly came back for more time and again.

gerg

BowieZ said:
Can you explain what would be sucky about a more faithful 3D-ification of, say, SMB3?

So maybe "really sucky" was a bit harsh (I had forgotten of Crash Bandicoot), but I just don't think it would take advantage of the 3D perspective. From a design perspective it doesn't seem to do anything better that either purely 3D or purely 2D gameplay would: if you're going to have your character travel along a fixed route, why not just use a 2D perspective that is more accessible?

Or, if you're going to want to utilise a third dimension, why not go all out and allow the player to explore a vast 3D environment? Why limit the player within confined walls?

[Edit: I just think it's really hard to do what you would want to do well. You say you don't want Crash Bandicoot (which was basically a 2D game rendered with a 3D perspective), but then you don't want the flexibility and exploration of a full-flung 3D game, either. The closest thing I might think of that does this would be Super Paper Mario.]

No, I'm not. The linearity in that game was extreme. Exploration was nil. And it wasn't a Mario game.

So you're thinking of a game with three linear routes instead of one? In which case, why don't you join those three different routes together into one seamless 3D world...

Busaiku said:
I though Pokemon was around October, but I guess not.

Pokemon Black and White are launching in September 2010 in Japan.

Busaiku

Chris1964 said:
If the release date was middle September and there was the supply we would look at 4-5M of hardware.
Regardless, I think that due to the probable relatively high price, I don't think it could move 4-5 million even with a September launch.

BowieZ

Banned
gerg said:
So maybe "really sucky" was a bit harsh (I had forgotten of Crash Bandicoot), but I just don't think it would take advantage of the 3D perspective. From a design perspective it doesn't seem to do anything better that either purely 3D or purely 2D gameplay would: if you're going to have your character travel along a fixed route, why not just use a 2D perspective that is more accessible?

Or, if you're going to want to utilise a third dimension, why not go all out and allow the player to explore a vast 3D environment? Why limit the player within confined walls?
Why indeed?

Just because you want to represent that Mario is existing within a 3D space (he supposedly is, isn't he? I mean, SMB3 was technically happening in a 3D world, right? just represented in a technologically appropriate way) doesn't mean you suddenly need to exploit it to the extreme. Three dimensions should be a tool, not a design law. At least, in my opinion, and obviously I can't claim to be a game design master. (I don't intend to, I'm just engaging in discussion and asking questions I feel may be relevant.)

However, the 3D element can be used as a tool to allow some degree of exploration if the player has that inclination.

Likewise, a 3D Mario game could take place on a large sphere, using similar technologies as shown in Galaxy 1 and 2, but does it have to rub in our faces that Mario is running around on a sphere? Can't the next Mario game have just one spherical world without making a point of it? Simply using that technology as a tool in the greater scheme of providing players with a novel experience? (Obviously SMG was a novel experience; I'm not discounting that.)

gerg said:
So you're thinking of a game with three linear routes instead of one?
I guess if we talk about this any longer, we're venturing into territory where I explain my game idea(s), and I really don't want to do that because that is irrelevant and open to mockery.

I'm just saying that there are many ways in which "3 dimensional Mario" can move forward, and that could perhaps employ elements from 2D Mario that may help make the game much more accessible and 'traditional' while not alienating fans of exploration and freedom.

Catching your edit - EDIT: My idea involves roughly 60 "more-or-less linear" levels of platforming arranged neatly around the surface of a spherical world (that's big enough only to accommodate these levels without any blank space). But yeah, I won't go into it any more than that, but it allows the player to move forward through levels but also sideways to explore, if so chosen.

donny2112

BowieZ said:
it allows the player to move forward through levels but also sideways to explore, if so chosen.

So you want the game to be a mess. Got it.

Maybe you meant something like Super Paper Mario, but what you described was a golf course (course next to course next to course) where you can change levels sideways at will, i.e. "a mess."

cvxfreak

Busaiku said:
Regardless, I think that due to the probable relatively high price, I don't think it could move 4-5 million even with a September launch.

Kids are back in school in October, so that release date doesn't make as much sense as either September or November.

Bizzyb

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Well, is it just me that find this first week of SMG2 as disappointing?

Just you dude. That's what it did in ONE Week. In one month it could easily reach 1mil. 1 mil in one month in nothing to sneeze at these days, esp in Japan.

Zen

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
PSP 25,054
PS3 20,987
Wii 20,476
DSi LL 16,267
DSi 10,324
Xbox 360 3,546
DS Lite 2,961
PS2 1,463
PSP go 1,232

Well it's nice to see the numbers bounce back a little bit. :X

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
After the awesomeness of last holiday, this year is such a bore.

Hopefully 3DS v (maybe) PSP2 will liven things up.

Top Bottom