• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 07, 2011 (Feb 14 - Feb 20)

duckroll

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I don't know think this is a very good comparison. GT3 and FFX launched pretty early on in the PS2's lifespan when there wasn't much to play and GT4 and FFXII launched with an insanely huge userbase. I think both series' style is falling out of tune with gaming, but I don't think it's fair to contribute their failings to their lack of change to be more like MHP.

I never said that it has anything to do with MHP. Current trends in Japan exist beyond just MHP. They have simply failed to take advantage of any of the trends, period. DQIX isn't anything like MHP at all, but it is the best selling DQ game ever. Sometimes though, there is nothing you can change at all. In the case of GT5, there probably isn't anything they could have done which would have saved it, because the racing genre is pretty much done in Japan.

The traditional fighting genre is also pretty much done in Japan. Core fighters like Tekken, VF, SF, etc can no longer sell the half million or more copies they used to be able to pull. Instead, the trend of the market has shifted towards more casual friendly fan-service franchise crossover fighters. Fighters like Smash Brothers, Dissidia, Gundam vs Gundam are what sells these days.

Durante

noobie said:
PSP Go sales on fire.? any reason?
from hundred its in 4 figures.. :O
Maybe some (core) people -- not many mind you, but more than before -- are willing to buy their PSP games on PSN so that they will also be able to use them on NGP.

Turrican3

donny2112 said:
Hopefully nothing. The sooner it crosses that "threshold," the better.
Do you mean that Nintendo would... err... "wake up" and accelerate their Wii2 plans?
If that's the case, I'm not sure this would lead to good things.

It's not the HW that worries me (I'm assuming it's already finalized, or it's going to be very soon in the worst case scenario), but the SW.

Rushing a Wii2 in my opinion equals to having a Nintendo with little to no compelling software for the platform; launching a new console without a true KA would be a suicide IMHO, and frankly, Iwata moneyhatting for a third party exclusive available on day one and/or some revolutionary HW feature that would sell the console by itself seems to me like wild speculation, and very, very un-Nintendo.

duckroll said:
I never said that it has anything to do with MHP. Current trends in Japan exist beyond just MHP. They have simply failed to take advantage of any of the trends, period. DQIX isn't anything like MHP at all, but it is the best selling DQ game ever. Sometimes though, there is nothing you can change at all. In the case of GT5, there probably isn't anything they could have done which would have saved it, because the racing genre is pretty much done in Japan.

The traditional fighting genre is also pretty much done in Japan. Core fighters like Tekken, VF, SF, etc can no longer sell the half million or more copies they used to be able to pull. Instead, the trend of the market has shifted towards more casual friendly fan-service franchise crossover fighters. Fighters like Smash Brothers, Dissidia, Gundam vs Gundam are what sells these days.
I agree with your analysis. I do wonder though if handhelds may reverse the trend on some genres in Japan. 3DS will be launching with some fighters and most games tend to benefit from being launch titles. I'm unsure about how DoA and SF4 use streetpass but if they use streetpass well then I think that could benefit those games. I think streetpass was one of the smartest decisions by Nintendo, for the 3DS in Japan, to capitalize on the growing popularity in local multiplayer and interacting with others on handhelds.

m.i.s.

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Wii needs a serious price cut.

Like, 10,000 yen price cut.

It's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

It's over for games consoles in Japan. 3DS and NGP will put the final nails in the coffin.

KingDizzi

Banned
M.I.S. said:
It's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

It's over for games consoles in Japan. 3DS and NGP will put the final nails in the coffin.

The PSP and in particular the DS have pretty much already done that, handhelds rule Japan while the consoles are just fighting for scraps. These new handhelds are pretty powerful now as well and Japan is the only region where I think the NGP doing well is a lock on, 3DS will do well WW of course. Several major 3rd party games will come to handhelds and I'm not talking spin-offs, the obvious such as FF 15 or at absolute latest FF 16. Anyway wonderful PSP and MH numbers, captain obvious would also like to say that MHP3 will be well past 4.8 million come the end of 2011.

Nintendo are so lucky to have secured DQX before the Wii went down the shitter, still think it will move to handhelds.

Turrican3 said:
Rushing a Wii2 in my opinion equals to having a Nintendo with little to no compelling software for the platform; launching a new console without a true KA would be a suicide IMHO, and frankly, Iwata moneyhatting for a third party exclusive available on day one and/or some revolutionary HW feature that would sell the console by itself seems to me like wild speculation, and very, very un-Nintendo.
The short answer for if a Wii2 is happening sooner rather than later is, "It depends." Depends on if they planned on the Wii following the traditional five-year console cycle, depends on if they realized 2-3 years ago that the software situation would collapse so completely, depends on if they expected the 360 and PS3 to follow through on their ten-year cycle.

It's difficult to tell what Nintendo is planning on the home console front with the imminent launch of the 3DS taking up all their PR, but damn something needs to happen in the next 2-3 months. If I remember correctly, Zelda is actually not that big of an IP in Japan, so what else can Nintendo do softwarewise?

donny2112

RurouniZel said:
Wii needs a serious price cut.

Like, 10,000 yen price cut.

Yes. Should've done this instead of the 5K Yen price cut back in 2009. 10K Yen now is still too late, but it may help for a while.

Turrican3 said:
It's not the HW that worries me (I'm assuming it's already finalized, or it's going to be very soon in the worst case scenario), but the SW.

Nintendo has launched without system-selling software before (see: GameCube (SSBM was close, though), Nintendo DS (rushed to market to counter PSP)), so that's not a reason to hold off, on its own.

As far as a "revoultionary" feature, this would be Nintendo's evolutionary generation step, though Vitality Sensor may be something worth trying. Someone mentioned trying to build it into a controller to free up the finger, so that could be something. Basically, any old excuse to go ahead and come out with hardware that can hold "new" Mario Kart, "new" Wii Fit (w/ real multiplayer), a "revolutionary" camera :)lol), and get ports from the other platforms. "Why would Nintendo want ports?" Because they saw what the lack of releases has done to Wii this generation. Third-party's can't generally afford exclusives, anymore, so a port-able Wii2 would suddenly become a viable option. If they also throw some exclusives on there, too, great.

Oh, and standard CCPro in every box, since they don't have to get people to recognize the value of the Wiimote in certain games/genres, anymore. People have either been exposed to it by now or are so far against the idea that a CCPro would be welcome.

Catherine on top?

DI0lG.gif

jeremy1456

I could see Nintendo announcing NSMBWii2 at E3, to be released this holiday season.

Might not close the YTD gap by that time, but would probably make a huge dent in it.

Nintendo needs to release Pikmin 3 this year.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jeremy1456 said:
I could see Nintendo announcing NSMBWii2 at E3, to be released this holiday season.

Might not close the YTD gap by that time, but would probably make a huge dent in it.

More of the same crap. Just release Wii2 sooner than later. Pikmin sounds more compelling though. Not Mario Kart 12 and NSMB part 8.

matmanx1

Gooooo Catherine!

Excellent first week numbers for Atlus's new baby and I can't wait until we see it localized for the rest of the world (c'mon, you know it's going to happen!) so the rest of us can enjoy it.

I also think that Nintendo is pretty much focused on the 3DS right now (and rightly so) and that the Wii is going to be on the back burner for the forseeable future. Sort of like the PSP situation in America (not that dire of course but there are similarities) where they can still make money on every unit sold and the worldwide demand is still there for the product so why do anything drastic.

It stinks for gamers who are hungry for new software on the Wii but it's still probably the smartest move for Nintendo for the short term to throw all of the eggs in the 3DS basket.

Stumpokapow said:
Not announced yet, but yes it will.

Atlus has a very good record of localizing internal titles; the titles that it passes on are generally completely non-viable--no offence to the four Growlanser fans out there who hate CRAPLUS!!!!!
That's reassuring. Thanks.

Tailzo

Just found out that Way of the samurai 4 should be relased March 03 in Japan for ps3. I'm hoping for a western release...

donny2112 said:
Yes. Should've done this instead of the 5K Yen price cut back in 2009. 10K Yen now is still too late, but it may help for a while.

Nintendo has launched without system-selling software before (see: GameCube (SSBM was close, though), Nintendo DS (rushed to market to counter PSP)), so that's not a reason to hold off, on its own.

As far as a "revoultionary" feature, this would be Nintendo's evolutionary generation step, though Vitality Sensor may be something worth trying.

...wait, they're still working on this? When was the last time we heard about it, 2 years ago?

jeremy1456

LiquidMetal14 said:
More of the same crap. Just release Wii2 sooner than later. Pikmin sounds more compelling though. Not Mario Kart 12 and NSMB part 8.

You say that when the two biggest PS3 games out this year are FFXIII-2 and Dynasty Warriors 6 (or is it 7?)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jeremy1456 said:

Wont happen - next Mario Bros. will be on 3DS.

El Sloth

Banned
Those are some interesting Marvel numbers. Wonder if we'll be seeing serious competition to America's Marvel superiority from Japanese players in tourneys this time around?

deleted

Nintendo needs the next big casual thing for the Wii. Its been a long time, since something like Wiifit or WiiParty was released. A successor wont be enough, maybe its time to dust of the Wii-vital-sensor and see if it gets any attention.

Oh and Yoshi's Island Wii anytime they're ready please.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
The short answer for if a Wii2 is happening sooner rather than later is, "It depends." Depends on if they planned on the Wii following the traditional five-year console cycle, depends on if they realized 2-3 years ago that the software situation would collapse so completely, depends on if they expected the 360 and PS3 to follow through on their ten-year cycle.

It's difficult to tell what Nintendo is planning on the home console front with the imminent launch of the 3DS taking up all their PR, but damn something needs to happen in the next 2-3 months. If I remember correctly, Zelda is actually not that big of an IP in Japan, so what else can Nintendo do softwarewise?
I agree that it depends on a lot of factors. I think first of all it depends on what the software lineup for this year is. I'm guessing we'll have to know by GDC or else the console is going to plummet rather quickly. Nintendo still insists that the vitaly sensor/wii relax is still in development and coming along nicely. So if they release that, it could be a huge boost to the hardware since just about every Wii__ line packed with an accesory has sold pretty well. If marketed correctly Wii Relax could be a huge seller and since it's a new concept it could potentially move a lot of hardware. As you said there's Zelda. While it's still a popular franchise in Japan I don't see it moving a lot of consoles and if it is the only major release this year I see it selling a lot under previous entries. Then there is Pikmin 3 that Nintendo also insisted last year that it's in development for the Wii and they're trying to hurry up and release it. Whenever S-E decides to release DQ since they've recently stated that there are still DQ titles in development for Wii. Finally Miyamoto stated that he wanted to make a new ip and it had been 10 years since Pikmin and that it might be released this year. It could go on Wii or 3DS but I suspect it'd go to Wii. However, all of these are ifs and maybes without any definitive answers. We're going to have to wait till GDC to see what they plan to do to with Wii. Last year they revealled SMG2, S&P2, MH3 and M:OM were all releasing before we had suspected since a lot of people were speculating they would be released at the end of the year.

KingDizzi said:
The PSP and in particular the DS have pretty much already done that, handhelds rule Japan while the consoles are just fighting for scraps. These new handhelds are pretty powerful now as well and Japan is the only region where I think the NGP doing well is a lock on, 3DS will do well WW of course. Several major 3rd party games will come to handhelds and I'm not talking spin-offs, the obvious such as FF 15 or at absolute latest FF 16. Anyway wonderful PSP and MH numbers, captain obvious would also like to say that MHP3 will be well past 4.8 million come the end of 2011.

Nintendo are so lucky to have secured DQX before the Wii went down the shitter, still think it will move to handhelds.
S-E recently stated that DQ was still in development for Wii, so I don't think they're going to switch. I don't think consoles are doomed yet. Wii had a great start and was far outpacing PS2. However, third party support and Nintendo's inability to heavily support the system in it's third year led to a serious decline. If 3rd parties united under one console then we could see a PS2 type dominance again. However, that depends if third parties unite under one console because this gen third parties gave halfassed efforts to the market leader and a lot of japanese third parties tanked on the HD consoles which caused them to retreat to handhelds. Since Japanese consumers only realy purchase Japanese made games the audience moved to handhelds. Point I'm trying to make is that the consumers are going to go where the must have games are. The third party games that came out on HD consoles took too long and were underwhelming while the market leader recieved crappy support but handhelds had been getting consistent quality releases all gen and that's why Japanese consumers moved there.

cj_iwakura

Stumpokapow said:
Not announced yet, but yes it will.

Atlus has a very good record of localizing internal titles; the titles that it passes on are generally completely non-viable--no offence to the four Growlanser fans out there who hate CRAPLUS!!!!!

Bite me, Growlanser is a fantastic series.

And I love Atlus.

Go Cathy, go.

I think a big Wii price cut (not 10k but more than 5k I'd say) is inevitable very soon, I'd say once the 3ds launch is out of the way probably at the start of the new financial year in April, possibly if Nintendo has any sense time the cut with a proper announcement (dates ect.) of the dragon quest games

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week's releases {2011.03.03}

[3DS] Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega)
[3DS] Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft)

[NDS] Digimon Story: Super Xros Wars Blue / Super Xros Wars Red (Bandai Namco)
[NDS] Fly Mr. Science: Great Expedition of the Earth! Challenge the Mysterious and Strange Creatures (Bandai Namco)

[PSP] Dissidia: 012 (Duodecim) Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
[PSP] Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto - Ginga Bishounen Densetsu (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] Gundam: Assault Survive [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco)
[PSP] Busou Shinki: Battle Masters [Konami the Best] (Konami)

[PS3] Way of the Samurai 4 (Spike)
[PS3] Fight Night Champion (English Version) (Electronic Arts)

[360] Fight Night Champion (English Version) (Electronic Arts)
[360] Borderlands [Platinum Collection] (Microsoft Game Studios)
[360] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage [Platinum Collection] (Koei Tecmo)

[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z [Reprint] (Bandai Namco)

That's the last PS2 game. Nothing else is announced but it will possibly get yearly football and baseball entries.

Chris1964 said:
[PS2] Super Robot Wars Z [Reprint] (Bandai Namco)

That's the last PS2 game. Nothing else is announced but it will possibly get yearly football and baseball entries.
Code:

Even though it's a budget re-release, SRWZ is a great game to end with.

Chris1964 said:
Only those who preordered at Yodobashi will get a 3DS

Actually that's says that they are having an early opening(8:30 vs normal 9:30) sale for only thoese that pre-ordered the ds, doesn't say anything about the possibliy(or lack) of buying it later on. Then in little font down in the bottom it looks like it says that aren't taking proders on the date it goes on sale.

It definatly seems as though the Wii has fallen into a rut, post christmas - consistently underselling the competition by roughly 10k. However I'm certain it'll bounce back at some point, Nintendo always seem to have a trick up their sleeves to grab the attention of the Japanese consumer.

What i find most impressive is that PS3 has levelled out and is now selling around 25k a week, often with no software to substantiate.

Also very happy to see decent sales for Catherine. Cannot wait for that to hit stateside
so I can import; curse the UK
*shakes fist

Well, Nintendo releases a new home console every 5 years and Wii turns 5 years old in November. Maybe that has something to do with Nintendo neglecting it.

Osuwari

a second NSMBW for wii could be an easy way to squeeze some extra sales and profit out of the wii. most of the Wii ___ line has got sequels already and even SMG which sold far less got a sequel. the only other comparable game that doesn't have a second entry on Wii is Mario Kart but the new one is coming for 3DS already. 3DS mario proyects sound very far away in comparison.

cvxfreak

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Actually that's says that they are having an early opening(8:30 vs normal 9:30) sale for only thoese that pre-ordered the ds, doesn't say anything about the possibliy(or lack) of buying it later on. Then in little font down in the bottom it looks like it says that aren't taking proders on the dale it goes on sale.

As far as I can see, the sign can be interpreted two ways: that Yodobashi will open early to sell 3DS systems only to people who pre-ordered, or that only people who pre-ordered will be able to buy the system starting at 8:30, earlier than the normal opening time.

The thing is, if there is non-reservation stock available, usually the stores are good at making that clear, such as when Monster Hunter Portable 3rd came out. I didn't see any other signs indicating other availability for the 3DS.

People will also inevitably line up early in the morning, so it might be a logistical nightmare to either support two different lines or fish people out of one line at 8:30. Not sure overall, but we'll see how it goes at launch.

cvxfreak said:
As far as I can see, the sign can be interpreted two ways: that Yodobashi will open early to sell 3DS systems only to people who pre-ordered, or that only people who pre-ordered will be able to buy the system starting at 8:30, earlier than the normal opening time.

Unclairty make me upset so I decided to call them to confirm about same-day sales you are right, according to the random clerk on the phone same-day sales(launch day sales) are limited to only thoese with reservations(generally stores that large, still have extras anyway, but obviously not enough to accomdate people lining up) .

(everytime I doubt the cvx it just makes me look silly in the end, need to learn here)

Nintendo wouldn't have a single major game ready for a next gen console until mid-2013 at the earliest, they're not launching a new console this year.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So Nintendo, what can they actually do to the Wii at this point...

LOCK

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Nintendo wouldn't have a single major game ready for a next gen console until mid-2013 at the earliest, they're not launching a new console this year.
We really don't know this given how secretive Nintendo is and what they can accomplish with their huge pile of cash. Though I agree at the current rate we won't see a new system this year.

However, if we don't have a new system from them this year then they will have broken their own 5 year system standard which has been kept for the past 3 generations. But I can see them making the Wii last 6 to 7 years tops like the NES and SNES.

VOOK said:
So Nintendo, what can they actually do to the Wii at this point...

Obviously it's in no way going to be the system saver, but as just dance is being promoted and distributed by Nintendo it should be interesting to watch.

(If they added Arashi to it and had arashi do the tv advertisements, it'd be an easy at least a million)

LOCK said:
We really don't know this given how secretive Nintendo is and what they can accomplish with their huge pile of cash. Though I agree at the current rate we won't see a new system this year.

However, if we don't have a new system from them this year then they will have broken their own 5 year system standard which has been kept for the past 3 generations. But I can see them making the Wii last 6 to 7 years tops like the NES and SNES.

You can look at Nintendo's developer list and see that they won't have anything ready. NSMB team? On 3DS. Mario Kart team? On 3DS. Smash Bros team? On 3DS. 3D Mario team? Just released a game. Retro? Just released a game. Zelda team? Still making a game with a late 2011 launch date. Considering that Nintendo has three year dev cycles and assuming that they don't go up with a generational shift (Which would be pretty much unprecedented), that would leave these studios' earliest possible time for releasing a Wii2 game at:

3D Mario team: Mid-2013

Retro: Late 2013

Mario Kart team: Late 2014

Smash Bros team: Late 2014

Zelda team: Late 2014 (This is hilariously optimistic as well and assumes that Zelda will break the four and five year cycles it's had recently)

NSMB team: Mid to late 2015

Those are six of Nintendo's seven biggest developers.

antonz

So a buddy in Hong Kong just let me know 3DS are now on sale there. But for some reason the 3DS Boxes are alot smaller than we have seen.Wondering how legit those 3DS are

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
You can look at Nintendo's developer list and see that they won't have anything ready. NSMB team? On 3DS. Mario Kart team? On 3DS. Smash Bros team? On 3DS. 3D Mario team? Just released a game. Retro? Just released a game. Zelda team?

Why no mention of Wii Sports Team?
...Excite Truck Team?
um.. Zelda porting team?
They don't look any busier than they did before the DS launched.

mollipen

_dementia said:
Will Catherine be released in the west?

I'll agree with something I heard on a podcast today: the game having an Xbox 360 version is pretty close to proof that it's intended to have a Western release.

Takao

Banned
antonz said:
So a buddy in Hong Kong just let me know 3DS are now on sale there. But for some reason the 3DS Boxes are alot smaller than we have seen.Wondering how legit those 3DS are

Chintendo 5DS

Top Bottom