• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2016 (Jan 04 - Jan 10)

Oregano

It's still a DQ game - and in Japan SQEX aim at attracting DQ fanbase first, which is more than happy to pay a premium price for a spin-off.

Game is selling for 2600 yen on Amazon.

True but Theatrhythm and Rocket Slime show that the DQ brand isn't a silver bullet.

Good point.

They didn't have MP in DQ Heroes as well though, might have something to do with DQ players preferring single player? I remember hearing on a podcast that SE ended up adding a whole bunch of single player focused content into DQX because a lot of players preferred it to MP.

It's got to appeal to Minecraft fans too though if it wants to hit really big.
It isnt being made by omega force? I know its not a musou by name, but i expected to see a lot of similarities regarding the games. If they are completely different, i stand corrected them!

Omega Force also make Toukiden which I imagine is a bigger influence.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Brands are as good as what people like about them.

A brand on a spin-off can get it attention, but the audience needs to actually like what they see if they're going to buy it.

If we're talking about free 2 play games, it's a bit different since there's zero barrier to entry, but again they need to like the game to stick around at that point.

Alo0oy

Banned
Last year, Wii U's performance was so bad up to the week prior to Splatoon, it had yet to sell 200k units, Wii U has already sold about 80k units this year, and it is only the 2nd week. It has 20 more weeks until it lines up with Splatoon last year, it should stay ahead of it's numbers for last year until at least mid summer.

Currently PS4 is down about 700k on MC and nearly 800k on Famitsu, So PS4 will need to sell at least a Million units by Summer to catch the Wii U, the PS4 sold ~1.25 million all of last year, so it might not overtake Wii U this year in Japan.

The PS4 should sell around 1.6 to 1.8m this year, that should be enough unless the Wii U shows significant growth.

True but Theatrhythm and Rocket Slime show that the DQ brand isn't a silver bullet.

Theatrhythm is perhaps the only spin-off that sold below expecations (but was a very peculiar one) - Rocket Slime 1 and 2 sold 350k and 300k units respectively; the third entry sold 150k units and this was more due to a young 3DS in my opinion. Heck, DQ Swords sold 500k units and DQ Battle Road Victory sold 350k units... DQ is one of the few properties which spin-offs always sold well - this is of course because the IP is huge.

It's got to appeal to Minecraft fans too though if it wants to hit really big.

DQ is a huge IP in Japan, let's not forget it. In my opinion, SQEX hopes to attracted Western fans with DQ Builder, and mainly rely on DQ fans in Japan - remember that Minecraft started to be popular in Japan in late-2014 / 2015.

Vena

The last bit of holiday helped hardware (50% drops still) but software is really low. Monday still being "holiday" should bolster numbers a bit next week but still, sliding should continue across the board.

Nothing much sticks out as good or bad this week to discuss, though, from these numbers.

z0m3le

Banned
The PS4 should sell around 1.6 to 1.8m this year, that should be enough unless the Wii U shows significant growth.

I thought this was the estimate with DQ11 in the Calendar year, but the target is before the end of May next year. Persona 5 I am thinking will have a similar impact to sales as MGS5 so I'm not sure there will be an extra 500-600k PS4 sales this year over last. I certainly think it will be up though.

It isnt being made by omega force? I know its not a musou by name, but i expected to see a lot of similarities regarding the games. If they are completely different, i stand corrected them!

Yes - and it was even teased as the next "unexpected" Omega Force project - at least it seems Koei Tecmo is quite confident in Omega Force being able to attract a fanbase.

Oregano

Theatrhythm is perhaps the only spin-off that sold below expecations (but was a very peculiar one) - Rocket Slime 1 and 2 sold 350k and 300k units respectively; the third entry sold 150k units and this was more due to a young 3DS in my opinion. Heck, DQ Swords sold 500k units and DQ Battle Road Victory sold 350k units... DQ is one of the few properties which spin-offs always sold well - this is of course because the IP is huge.

DQ is a huge IP in Japan, let's not forget it. In my opinion, SQEX hopes to attracted Western fans with DQ Builder, and mainly rely on DQ fans in Japan - remember that Minecraft started to be popular in Japan in late-2014 / 2015.

Right but around 300k-500k would be a perfectly adequate result for DQ Builders and wouldn't really be a case of "hitting the jackpot".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People seem fund of whatever was added in the Dragon Quest of the Stars 1.1 update. It's sustaining revenue much more strongly now.

dqs4vka2.png

Kid Ying

Musou Crossovers have done well pretty consistently without being all that influence by the franchise's decline. I don't know why you think "If we ignore the most recent musou crossovers, musou games have done badly, so I expect this musou crossover to sell badly".
I never said we should ignore the recent musou crossovers. In fact, i acnowledged the last three of them (Zelda, Aslan and DQ heroes) and the only that did actually great in Japan was DQH.

Of course there was some musou crossovers that did pretty great, like hokuto and one piece, but those numbers are from years ago already and its sequels sold much less.

Takao

Banned
I think two of them were f2p, but I can't remember.

AFAIK Konami didn't talk about business models for the new Yu-Gi-Oh! games, but you can probably make an assumption that at least the mobile one will be F2P. The 3DS one will likely be a boxed product, at least in Japan. The confusing part is their pledge to continue supporting the existing mobile/PS4/XB1 games. I figured both the new mobile and console/pc game would just be a complete replacement for what already exists.

I cant wait to see a MarioMaker+Minecraft (with a Mario theme) Wii U bundle in Japan.

I don't think you will. I don't believe there are Minecraft hardware bundles for any non-Xbox platforms anywhere.

It is being made by Omega Force, but the game itself doesn't use the "Musou" branding and seemingly doesn't play anything like one.

Right but around 300k-500k would be a perfectly adequate result for DQ Builders and wouldn't really be a case of "hitting the jackpot".

All factors considered, though, is that a good result? Remember that on top of the DQ popularity there is also the Minecraft popularity - it is true that the game costs too much for the general Minecraft audience, but the game sold 1m+ units across all platforms so there must someone willing to pay a premium price to play for the same gameplay in a DQ-skin. The game is also releasing on three platforms, and seems a nice effort for SQEX. I mean, Rocket Slime and Swords were quite low-budget efforts which sold quite well, but Builders seems something on which SQEX is willing to bet on.

I thought this was the estimate with DQ11 in the Calendar year, but the target is before the end of May next year. Persona 5 I am thinking will have a similar impact to sales as MGS5 so I'm not sure there will be an extra 500-600k PS4 sales this year over last. I certainly think it will be up though.

The baseline for the PS4 seems to be higher than it was at the mid-point of last year. If it is averaging 30K+ a week with few if any new releases riding on major Western ones, then I think 1.6M+ is a given even absent DQ11.

The impact of the NX on the PS4 really comes down to Western 3rd party support as much as Japanese support. If it lacks the former, the PS4 will remain the only game in town for major Western titles. And while not as big in Japan as they are elsewhere, at the point at which virtually all Western titles are functionally PS4-exclusives that will matter in Japan over time, even if individually the titles don't match Nintendo's heights.

The big question is at what point Sony decides that is enough for them. Their own first party output has not been doing very well on the PS4, at least in Japan, and at the point at which Western 3rd parties will keep them afloat enough to get every major non-Nintendo Japanese console title, why should they put in the effort. In the West, Japanese software will effectively be PS4-exclusives versus the Xbox family, while in Japan Western titles will be exclusives versus Nintendo.

Alo0oy

Banned

FFXV also releases this year and Yakuza 6 is next gen only.

Vena

The baseline for the PS4 seems to be higher than it was at the mid-point of last year. If it is averaging 30K+ a week with few if any new releases riding on major Western ones, then I think 1.6M+ is a given even absent DQ11.

It very likely won't average that by a good margin. We're still in holiday (tail end) and you are only now doing 30k+. The WiiU's not going to be average 24k+ a week. Cut everything by about 10k+ across the board, some more than others.

Yakuza 1 I think.

I guess Street Fighter V would be more in line with "major" though.

Are either of these "major" by any definition?

Oregano

All factors considered, though, is that a good result? Remember that on top of the DQ popularity there is also the Minecraft popularity - it is true that the game costs too much for the general Minecraft audience, but the game sold 1m+ units across all platforms so there must someone willing to pay a premium price to play for the same gameplay in a DQ-skin. The game is also releasing on three platforms, and seems a nice effort for SQEX. I mean, Rocket Slime and Swords were quite low-budget efforts which sold quite well, but Builders seems something on which SQEX is willing to bet on.

Swords wasn't that low budget. It's on rails but it's a full fledged RPG with extensive voicework.

300k would be a bit meh but not a failure by any means. 500k would probably a decent results.

Alo0oy

Banned
It very likely won't average that by a good margin. We're still in holiday (tail end) and you are only now doing 30k+. The WiiU's not going to be average 24k+ a week. Cut everything by about 10k+ across the board, some more than others.

The PS4 already averaged 24k last year.

Swords wasn't that low budget. It's on rails but it's a full fledged RPG with extensive voicework.

300k would be a bit meh but not a failure by any means. 500k would probably a decent results.

That's why I've always said 500k+ should be considered as a good result. Also, I think DQ Swords was low-effort because of its nature - an on-rail game is much more limited than any other comparable game in genres where you have characters freely moving in a world-map and exploring a world. The game was also pretty short.

Oregano

That's why I've always said 500k+ should be considered as a good result. Also, I think DQ Swords was low-effort because of its nature - an on-rail game is much more limited than any other comparable game in genres where you have characters freely moving in a world-map and exploring a world. The game was also pretty short.

Right but DQ Builders won't be anywhere near the size of a traditional JRPG either(I assume).

z0m3le

Banned

The impact of the NX on the PS4 really comes down to Western 3rd party support as much as Japanese support. If it lacks the former, the PS4 will remain the only game in town for major Western titles. And while not as big in Japan as they are elsewhere, at the point at which virtually all Western titles are functionally PS4-exclusives that will matter in Japan over time, even if individually the titles don't match Nintendo's heights.

The big question is at what point Sony decides that is enough for them. Their own first party output has not been doing very well on the PS4, at least in Japan, and at the point at which Western 3rd parties will keep them afloat enough to get every major non-Nintendo Japanese console title, why should they put in the effort. In the West, Japanese software will effectively be PS4-exclusives versus the Xbox family, while in Japan Western titles will be exclusives versus Nintendo.

Week 26 2015:
PS4 sold ~580k units (~23k units a week)
Wii U sold ~275k units (which is what I expect it to sell by this point this year)

PS4 for the rest of the year sold 680k units (~26k units a week) so considering that as the new baseline (which includes the holidays mind you, it would only gain ~400k on the 1000k it needs to catch up to Wii U by this point in the year. Persona 5 will certainly boost numbers and if FF15 is indeed this year and Wii U falls down to sub 5k again like last year after NX is revealed at E3, then yes it is capable of beating out Wii U this year, but it is more likely that it will happen next year IMO.

There is still room for more moderate drops next week for hardware. It would be nice if these were "baselines", but the Japanese Console market isn't healthy enough for something like that.

Vena

Which means no growth from last year.

Oh you mean weakly average over all weeks of the year, not baseline? I was speaking baseline. I misread, haha.

There is still room for more moderate drops next week for hardware. It would be nice if these were "baselines", but the Japanese Console market isn't healthy enough for something like that.

Monday of next week's numbers will still be in the holiday arm, the last day of it (as was this week in its entirety). So it may help numbers a bit but everything will fall further down.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Builders' main problem is going to be that it looks incredibly dull and limited.

why it looks dull? I get the limited (no multiplayer, right?), but dull? it seems very inspired to me, and one of the most logical action I've seen from Japanese softco in the recent years.

Vena

why it looks dull? I get the limited (no multiplayer, right?), but dull? it seems very inspired to me, and one of the most logical action I've seen from Japanese softco in the recent years.

Its Minecraft with a texture pack without all of the other things that make Minecraft interesting, they've failed to convey anything interesting through media but an idea on paper. I would agree that it is a logical action, I would also say it is on the more derivative, unimaginative end of the scale as well, though.

maxcriden

Mario Kart 8 VS Super Mario Maker

Thank you for this. I'm very surprised SMM is doing so well relative to MK8. My impression was it didn't do as remarkably in NA but I guess (unless I'm mistaken) we don't know yet what its sales have been like through the holidays.

maxcriden

I don't think Star Fox and Pokken will manage to rise above 300k together. Pokken is missing the interaction with the handheld titles, the previous Pokemon fighters had and Star Fox seems to be niche nowadays at best.

Best case scenario seems a Captain Toad one for me, but I don't see either game carrying the Wii U through summer. I could see Minecraft doing that in combination with Splatoon and Mario Maker, but it would have to be released as a physical version first, maybe even bundled if such a thing was possible for a Microsoft published game on a Nintendo console in Japan.

SF I foresee as better than #FE but worse than Rainbow Curse or El Capitan Todd. Pokken I could see doing pretty well but with its availability in arcades already I think that might deflate more casual interest a bit.

I cant wait to see a MarioMaker+Minecraft (with a Mario theme) Wii U bundle in Japan.

Microsoft might like getting a cut of Wii U bundle sales. Maybe it will inspire them to loan Rare back.

Yakuza 1 I think.

I guess Street Fighter V would be more in line with "major" though.

How do Yakuza games traditionally sell?

FFXV also releases this year and Yakuza 6 is next gen only.

I haven't been keeping up much with FFXV. Is it really expected to release this year, or is it a TLG situation where probably it really should but people are unsure if it will?

I remember someone here was keeping track of Animal Crossing: New Leaf sales.... It's now at:

18./19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 5.186 / 4.115.727 (-39%) (Media Create)

If we add digital sales, how does it compare to AC on DS?

last week on Famitsu :

23./22. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 7.119 / 4.452.206 <80-100%> (-31%)

AC DS : 5,239,465

too far I think

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to neither be capitalizing on the flexibility and variety of Minecraft's building capabilities nor the major gamification of the building genre that Terraria embraced.

It looks more like a Dragon Quest themed building game instead of a Dragon Quest building game.

If it was launching as a cheap downloadable title, I mean, sure, a lot of these games start out pretty basic, but this is a full retail title.

Have they even committed to putting out lots of free updates after release? That's pretty standard in this genre.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oh you mean weakly average over all weeks of the year, not baseline? I was speaking baseline. I misread, haha.

The baseline should be around ~26k with a lot of 40k-50k weeks with Persona, Dark Souls 3, & Yakuza 6, as well as 150k week with FFXV, the baseline should increase with every subsequent release as well.

That's not taking into account another price cut or PS4 slim, or the completely unknown impact of VR. So 1.8m is very doable.

Mr Swine

Banned
Nice numbers for the start of the year. I think PS4 will have a fantastic year with lots of mid and big sellers during the year. I don't think NX will have much 3:rd party support from Japan since most devs seem to want to make games for PS4 since it's selling so well worldwide

Top Bottom