• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2016 (Jan 04 - Jan 10)

Vena

I wonder if we'll see any hardware boosts from this, or if its going to be more a "fighting off the decline" week with these releases.

horuhe

I wonder if we'll see any hardware boosts from this, or if its going to be more a "fighting off the decline" week with these releases.

Boosts not really, but maybe as you said not bombing hard is the most likely scenario. By the way, yesterday was the last day for the campaign of the download code for Splatoon and Mario Maker. So for next week (numbers in two weeks, I mean), PS4 should see that hardware boost but Wii U could drop some units.

Yakuza 1 opened at 130k. Black Panther 2 opened at 95k and Kenzan at 178k. All Famitsu numbers.

Let's have a thought for Yakuza 1&2 HD Collection on Wii U, a bold experiment that achieved to miss the Dengeki top 50, apparently selling less than 2 000 copies. This one will be pretty collector.

So, Odin Sphere Vita seems to edge out the PS4 edition on several metrics, but that's kinda close. And more importantly, it looks like Vanillaware will get some nice cash and recognition once again after the huge success of Dragon's Crown (over 800 000 copies worldwide). Very much happy for Kamitani-sama and 13 Sentinels ^_^

crinale

Fallout 4 seems to have longer legs than I expected.

Let's have a thought for Yakuza 1&2 HD Collection on Wii U, a bold experiment that achieved to miss the Dengeki top 50, apparently selling less than 2 000 copies. This one will be pretty collector.

So, Odin Sphere Vita seems to edge out the PS4 edition on several metrics, but that's kinda close. And more importantly, it looks like Vanillaware will get some nice cash and recognition once again after the huge success of Dragon's Crown (over 800 000 copies worldwide). Very much happy for Kamitani-sama and 13 Sentinels ^_^

It looks like the pricing of Odin Sphere Leifdrasir didn't put fans off that much. Nice business decision I guess.

Vena

This week? Impossible, there's a chance for week 3, though.

Boosts not really, but maybe as you said not bombing hard is the most likely scenario. By the way, yesterday was the last day for the campaign of the download code for Splatoon and Mario Maker. So for next week (numbers in two weeks, I mean), PS4 should see that hardware boost but Wii U could drop some units.

Well Monday was still holiday no? And a new release could move some units, but you are both probably correct.

Guymelef

Kan Colle Kai goes gold
http://gematsu.com/2016/01/kan-colle-kai-goes-gold

DrinkWineChampagnePopsCork.gif

hiska-kun

Well Monday was still holiday no? And a new release could move some units, but you are both probably correct.

Monday was a holiday, but the week from Jan 4th to 10th was still a week benefited by otoshidama, and its sales were still quite strong.
This coming week is going to be bigger than an average week thanks to the national holiday, but I'm 99% sure it won't be enough to beat the already high sales of the previous week.

Just check old data, and you'll see that never before, this week enjoyed a boost.

Fallout 4 seems to have longer legs than I expected.

It looks like the pricing of Odin Sphere Leifdrasir didn't put fans off that much. Nice business decision I guess.

Jesus yes, that thing is 8400 yen at best.

Odin Sphere debuted at 59 248 on PS2. Previously, Muramasa also enjoyed a better start with the Vita rebirth (45 660) compared to the first release on Wii (28 807).

Yakuza 1 opened at 130k. Black Panther 2 opened at 95k and Kenzan at 178k. All Famitsu numbers.

Yakuza was the first entry and I was considering yearly releases on home consoles, where the IP belongs. So Kiwami will likely have the lowest-opening of the series considering usual yearly releases since the first entry - which I guess it's fair since it's a remake. I wonder whether Yakuza 6 can get past 500k+ units as previous mainline entries, even though PS3 is becoming less relevant over time and it doesn't seem PS4 being able to make up for the drop.

HGH

Banned
Pardon me for the dumb question, but it just occurred to me, FF7R being episodic probably means massive sales dropoffs between titles no? How do titles handled like that usually sell in Japan?

Yeah, I'm really happy for Odin Sphere getting another chance at recognition and a better experience. The fans stuck with it and even new players are jumping in despite the price. Will be great to see it top a chart.
Now what I'm interested in seeing is if the usual "PS4 has better first week numbers, Vita has longer legs" trend continues.

Pardon me for the dumb question, but it just occurred to me, FF7R being episodic probably means massive sales dropoffs between titles no? How do titles handled like that usually sell in Japan?

Yeah, I'm really happy for Odin Sphere getting another chance at recognition and a better experience. The fans stuck with it and even new players are jumping in despite the price. Will be great to see it top a chart.
Now what I'm interested in seeing is if the usual "PS4 has better first week numbers, Vita has longer legs" trend continues.

It's not episodic, they are full 60 dollar retail games.

A 4th Dragon Ball 3DS game has just been revealed; apparently, it's an RPG featuring the fusion between Goku and Broly. 3DS 2016 line-up is shaping up nicely - previous DB games sold quite well, so it makes sense to have another entry coming. The first DB Heroes got close to 300k units while the second one should be around 230k units; DBZ: Extreme Butoden was approaching 150k units.

A 4th Dragon Ball 3DS game has just been revealed; apparently, it's an RPG featuring the fusion between Goku and Broly. 3DS 2016 line-up is shaping up nicely - previous DB games sold quite well, so it makes sense to have another entry coming. The first DB Heroes got close to 300k units while the second one should be around 230k units; DBZ: Extreme Butoden was approaching 150k units.

It's already passed it! :)

Famitsu as of Dec 27th, 2015:

40. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.06.11} (¥6.145) - 150.989

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170242

Mory Dunz

Extreme butoden did a lot worse than I was expecting, in JP and WW. Maybe it was due to being closer to a traditional 2D fighter, or lack of advertising? The other games you mentioned, yeah.

So anyone think PS4 and WIIU will be up in March or no?

like month over month?
Wii U was doing 7k and 6k last march, duking it out with the PS3 lol....so even a slight bump from TP and Pokken could push it above that.

Extreme butoden did a lot worse than I was expecting, in JP and WW. Maybe it was due to being closer to a traditional 2D fighter, or lack of advertising? The other games you mentioned, yeah.

Worldwide maybe, but in Japan sold more than any recent DB fighting game.

Takao

Banned
Worldwide maybe, but in Japan sold more than any recent DB fighting game.

It's not even the best selling Dragon Ball fighter of 2015 in Japan:

[PS3] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.05} (¥7.690) - 110.937
[PS4] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.05} (¥7.690) - 67.474

For a game that came out alongside the first new Dragon Ball TV series since 1997, I expected Extreme Butouden to do better. Especially since Bandai Namco gave it more post-launch support than they do most of their other games.

It's already passed it! :)

Famitsu as of Dec 27th, 2015:

40. [3DS] Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.06.11} (¥6.145) - 150.989

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170242

[PS3] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.05} (¥7.690) - 110.937
[PS4] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.02.05} (¥7.690) - 67.474

For a game that came out alongside the first new Dragon Ball TV series since 1997, I expected Extreme Butouden to do better. Especially since Bandai Namco gave it more post-launch support than they do most of their other games.
??????

Unless you are just posting their FW.

Mory Dunz

I mostly meant worldwide as well. If Xenoverse got to 2mil WW on the back of the west, I was hoping Extreme butoden could eek out a few 100ks here and there in certain regions. But maybe the western 3ds audience doesn't line up with that kind of thing.

I mostly meant worldwide as well. If Xenoverse got to 2mil WW on the back of the west, I was hoping Extreme butoden could eek out a few 100ks here and there in certain regions. But maybe the western 3ds audience doesn't line up with that kind of thing.

Do we have numbers for Extreme Butoden in the west?

I had Japanltdrank LTDs which were not updated. Still, the game sold well and much more than the vast majority of recent DB fighting games (it still has some time to catch Xenoverse in Japan).

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh ya?! Well I say you are wrong! WRONG!
No, sir, i say that you are wrong! ;) Hehe.

Thats true. And it was only released in Japan too, should be a relatively rare item indeed.

Yakuza was the first entry and I was considering yearly releases on home consoles, where the IP belongs. So Kiwami will likely have the lowest-opening of the series considering usual yearly releases since the first entry - which I guess it's fair since it's a remake. I wonder whether Yakuza 6 can get past 500k+ units as previous mainline entries, even though PS3 is becoming less relevant over time and it doesn't seem PS4 being able to make up for the drop.
Fair enough.

I think Yakuza 6 needs to add something new interesting to be able to substain the popularity. Its also the first Yakuza game that is PS4 exclusive.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm doing some changes at my database again, so from next thread we'll follow Famitsu's standard and prices will be tax free.

Jigorath

Banned
I had Japanltdrank LTDs which were not updated. Still, the game sold well and much more than the vast majority of recent DB fighting games (it still has some time to catch Xenoverse in Japan).

Kind of a muted victory considering how much bigger Xenoverse was in the West. I'm surprised they haven't announced a sequel yet actually.

Kind of a muted victory considering how much bigger Xenoverse was in the West. I'm surprised they haven't announced a sequel yet actually.

It's not about a contest (victory?) - it's about NB finding profitable in developing DB games on a specific platform on a yearly basis. We heard plenty of times how 3DS is not suitable for niche and mid-tier games and that 3DS third party support was fading, but it seems this is not the case at all - we're receiving announcements on a weekly basis, for games that are going to sell both below the 100k range or around 150-250k units.

lherre

Accurate
Extreme butoden is not a great game at all, very limited in my opinion (and I'm a big fan of the classic butoden).

It's not about a contest (victory?) - it's about NB finding profitable in developing DB games on a specific platform on a yearly basis. We heard plenty of times how 3DS is not suitable for niche and mid-tier games and that 3DS third party support was fading, but it seems this is not the case at all - we're receiving announcements on a weekly basis, for games that are going to sell both below the 100k range or around 150-250k units.

It's amazing how DB would be seen as an IP that'd be typically suited for Sony systems and yet it's sold huge amounts on 3DS (specifically the Ultimate Mission games) and 150k for a low-budget 3DS game being toe-to-toe with what's essentially a AAA DB game (in Japan at least) should be pretty damn notable.

Makes you wonder if Digimon for instance could've seen BIG success on 3DS. They only gave Decode a shot on 3DS and that was a year-late port (with a lot more content but that doesn't change that it's a year-late port). And frankly Cyber Sleuth wasn't a big increase over it anyway, if Decode is around 75k-80k vs 110k for Cyber Sleuth I think was posted. Both are smaller than the 150k the original Re:Digitize did on PSP.

Jigorath

Banned

Well sure, niche and mid tier games can sell on 3DS. They always have.

It's amazing how DB would be seen as an IP that'd be typically suited for Sony systems and yet it's sold huge amounts on 3DS (specifically the Ultimate Mission games) and 150k for a low-budget 3DS game being toe-to-toe with what's essentially a AAA DB game (in Japan at least) should be pretty damn notable.

So you're just going to ignore the massive difference in worldwide sales between the two games? A game like Xenoverse is not greenlit mainly for a Japanese audience. While Extreme Butoden probably is. Butoden should have done a bit better in Japan I think considering the very low sales in the West (which do matter for franchises like Dragon Ball), and the fact that it launched alongside the new anime. Xenoverse wasn't too hot in Japan either (bigger than Extreme Butoden though) but it was massively successful in the West. It's probably the most successful Dragon Ball game in quite a while. Maybe some of the PS2 games were bigger.

Makes you wonder if Digimon for instance could've seen BIG success on 3DS. They only gave Decode a shot on 3DS and that was a year-late port (with a lot more content but that doesn't change that it's a year-late port). And frankly Cyber Sleuth wasn't a big increase over it anyway, if Decode is around 75k-80k vs 110k for Cyber Sleuth I think was posted. Both are smaller than the 150k the original Re:Digitize did on PSP.

I do think Digimon could have been bigger on 3DS - DS had Digimon games selling in the 180-220k range, and monster-catching RPG is surely a genre where Nintendo handhelds are performing well. Decode sold well for what it was - released just one year after the original. Cyber Sleuth sold 115k retail + 18k digital units, so around 133k units - that's not an unachievable performance for a 3DS game. There's not even the excuse of the worldwide appeal, because PSV is dead outside Japan and I don't think the PS4 port will do anything substantial. It'd be interesting to see how the new Digimon game will perform - some people were saying it will do better because it's a Digimon World game, so a more popular branch of the IP - I think, instead, it will sell around the same if not lower than Cyber Sleuth.

I do think Digimon could have been bigger on 3DS - DS had Digimon games selling in the 180-220k range, and monster-catching RPG is surely a genre where Nintendo handhelds are performing well. Decode sold well for what it was - released just one year after the original. Cyber Sleuth sold 115k retail + 18k digital units, so around 133k units - that's not an unachievable performance for a 3DS game. There's not even the excuse of the worldwide appeal, because PSV is dead outside Japan and I don't think the PS4 port will do anything substantial. It'd be interesting to see how the new Digimon game will perform - some people were saying it will do better because it's a Digimon World game, so a more popular branch of the IP - I think, instead, it will sell around the same if not lower than Cyber Sleuth.

"What's your excuse for not developing on 3DS, good sir ?"

Maybe we can... let the PS Vita have some games ? I mean, from time to time.

I mean don't worry guys, remember it's the last PlayStation handheld. Next gen, no one will ever disturb the Nintendo handheld kingdom (damn, how exciting when you think about it).

Is it so transgressive saying that monster-catching RPGs tend to perform incredibly well on Nintendo handhelds? I do hope publishers are not greenliting PSV games because "let the PS Vita have some games".

Sandfox

The Digimon franchise as a whole is trying to target an older audience.

Top Bottom