• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2012 (May 07 - May 13)

3DS is the lowest since the price cut, isn't it?
I expect this will be something of a baseline for a while, but the big releases should bump it back up again. Looking at previous years the numbers don't suddenly go up again the next week.

The 3DS did not plunge. It had the usual post golden week plunge.

Fixed?

It's so funny, when the Vita was announced Yoshida actually claimed that they had learned from the mistakes with PS3 and that they made sure not to make the Vita as expensive. What they apparently don't get is that 250$ (+hidden costs) for a handheld is almost as bad as 600$ for a console. Both were steep steps upward on the price scale of their respective hardware class (and Nintendo "learned" a bad thing from Sony).

And at the same time 250$ is dirt cheap for a device with quad core arm cpu and so powerfull mobile gpu.

Vita sales worldwide is really depressing :/

It baffles me when Sony execs state they are "pleased" with sales. Nintendo has swallowed a huge chunk of Sony's handheld market and there's no sign of that trend slowing. With the juggernaut that is Pokemon (and later Monster Hunter) on the horizon, its going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

liger05

If the 3DS ever got this low the internet would of been going crazy. Blogs, podcasts, forums etc all claiming nintendo was 'dead' and going to be another Sega.

Is the Vita tracking below or above the Gamecube at the same period?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If the 3DS ever got this low the internet would of been going crazy. Blogs, podcasts, forums etc all claiming nintendo was 'dead' and going to be another Sega.

Gamecube had Melee and Christmas period, and it launched in September.
But still...you don't want to know the answer.

patapuf

It is a bigger deal if nintendo fails in the portable market since they have dominated in it forever.

kswiston

How long was the Wii ahead of PS2 for launched aligned sales in Japan? Crazy Wii went from the fastest selling console ever to finishing with an install base of ~13M.

About 3 years ago, I figured PS3 would end with about 8M units sold in Japan. Seeing as it is already past that number, I wonder if it will be able to reach 10M.

Finally, I am glad to see Fire Emblem's continued success. Definitely my most anticipated 3DS game at this point (assuming NOA doesn't screw us over).

3DS is the lowest since the price cut, isn't it?
I expect this will be something of a baseline for a while, but the big releases should bump it back up again. Looking at previous years the numbers don't suddenly go up again the next week.

Speaking of which, what's the next biggest release for 3DS, aside from Mario tennis(that should make it to top10 in its first week)?

Dragon quest perhaps, IIRC?

mclem

What I find much funnier is all those games 'journalists' (lol) who claimed it was somehow cheap - even post-3DS-cut.

They're not exactly wrong, they just don't quite understand the market. It *is* a cheap price for the hardware. The problem is that it's overpriced for the *product*.

While Pokémon is a DS release it'll still act like a major 3DS title.

Yeah, I am convinced as well Pokemon B&W will result somehow in a 3DS's hardware bump as a side-effect, since it is backwards-compatible and all, but as for of which magnitude I am not sure, it's going to be something not easily predictable imo.

Busaiku

Yeah, I am convinced as well Pokemon B&W will result somehow in a 3DS's hardware bump as a side-effect, since it is backwards-compatible, but as for of which magnitude I am not sure, it's going to be something not easily predictable imo.

They're making certain forms of Pokemon exclusive to 3DS owners, so that will certainly help.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, I am convinced as well Pokemon B&W will result somehow in a 3DS's hardware bump as a side-effect, since it is backwards-compatible, but as for of which magnitude I am not sure, it's going to be something not easily predictable imo.

It's fairly predictable actually. The numbers for the DSi and LL are so low that they probably haven't even manufactured them for Japanese retail in about a year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2012.05.24}

[3DS] Mario Tennis Open <SPT> (Nintendo) (¥4.800)
[3DS] Minna no Ennichi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥3.990)
[3DS] Funky Barn 3D <SLG> (Ubisoft) (¥3.990)
[3DS] Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan: Airport Hero 3D Haneda with Jal <SLG> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.090)
[3DS] G1 Grand Prix <SLG> (Genki) (¥6.080)

[PSV] Samurai & Dragons <ACT> (Sega) (¥3.990)

[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Debut # <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Debut [Limited Edition DearDarling Box] <ACT> (Broccoli) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Suigetsu Ni Portable # <ADV> (GN Software) (¥5.040)
[PSP] Suigetsu Ni Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (GN Software) (¥8.379)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Jyuzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Elminage Gothic: Ulm Zakir to Yami no Gishiki <RPG> (Starfish SD) (¥6.090)

[PS3] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.990)
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol.8 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PS3] Steins;Gate <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.090)
[PS3] Steins;Gate: Double Pack <ADV> (5pb.) (¥14.000)
[PS3] Record of Agarest War 2 (CH Selection) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Red River (Codemasters the Best) <ACT> (Codemasters) (¥3.990)
[PS3] Two Worlds II (Bargain Edition) <RPG> (Ubisoft) (¥2.940)

[360] Dragons Dogma <ACT> (Capcom) (¥7.990)
[360] Mushihimesama # <STG> (Cave) (¥7.140)
[360] Mushihimesama [Limited Edition] <STG> (Cave) (¥9.240)

They're making certain forms of Pokemon exclusive to 3DS owners, so that will certainly help.

To put it differently, on which platform B&W will be selling the most?
Or also, wording it in a slightly different way, which platform will be shifting more hardware on account of B&W?

For sure 3DS+DS combined sales are going to be predictably massive, on the other hand I reckon it's going to be hard to predict hardware numbers this time around, what with the huge user-base DS has in Japan, most of those still on the fence for 3DS and probably not willing to purchase it yet, since they can play the game anyway on their old system.

It's fairly predictable actually. The numbers for the DSi and LL are so low that they probably haven't even manufactured them for Japanese retail in about a year.

I think you're failing to take into due consideration the fact that in Japan 32 million DSs have been sold so far, therefore if B&W is going to sell, say, 500k/800k first week, 3DS may not have too much of a bump accordingly, as many fence-sitters will just play it on their DS/DSLite/DSi.

Other than that, I believe Nintendo has still some thousand DSis stocked somewhere they need to flog.

hatchx

Banned
And at the same time 250$ is dirt cheap for a device with quad core arm cpu and so powerfull mobile gpu.

I don't think moms and dads give a shit about that when buying toys for their kids.

The handheld market is mostly younger skewed. Seems obvious enough to me when looking at how poorly RE:Revelations did compared to ORC.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
While true, they make up for that with the memory prices, which you have to buy to even start the games.
That was their biggest fuckup, IMO. Such a terrible experience when you go to buy the machine and find out you have to pay extra to even use it. Sony were so cheap they couldn't even throw in 1gb of storage - or any storage at all - which kinda shows their attitude toward the consumer at this point.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
After pathetic NPD charts now this - Gaming is officially dead.

No, these are completely expected numbers for this week.

I think you're failing to take into due consideration the fact that in Japan 32 million DSs have been sold so far, therefore if B&W is going to sell, say, 500k/800k first week, 3DS may not have too much of a bump, as many fence-sitters will just play it on their DS/DSLite/DSi.

B2/W2 will sell 500k in its first hours.

starmud

all this vita doom and gloom/game cancellation chat

sega has three games coming? and one punny port for 3ds? where sega bets, i bet n____~

Dalthien

you are basically saying sony should step out of the handheld arena, alltogether.

Well yeah, that's exactly what I was saying 18-24 months ago. I didn't see any path to success for Vita (NGP at the time) in the marketplace. But it's too late to worry about that now. They went ahead with the platform anyway, and it is here now. The question now is how much is Sony willing to sacrifice to try to save Vita.

Are they willing to slash the price to $169 (including a memory card) right now? (Taking a huge financial blow in the process)

Are they willing to greatly expand their 1st-party efforts on the platform and get all hands on-board Vita software right now so that they can potentially do a big relaunch (a la PS3Slim) a year from now? (Greatly reducing their ability to work on software for the early part of the PS4 cycle)

They have to do something drastic. And they are now in the same time-frame as Nintendo was when they had to do something to keep 3rd-parties on board the 3DS. And sales for Vita are even worse than they were for 3DS at the time, with far less well-known software known to be coming for Vita as well.

It will be very interesting to see just what path Sony chooses to take with Vita from here.

test_account

XP-39C²
If people are buying BW2 in similar levels to the originals, along with 3DS to experience the apps and to invest in the future, a lot of oxygen is taken from the rest of the market.

Nobody's saying Persona will flop, but the moment is wrong for a Vita resurgence. Should have been in time for Golden Week, not when 3DS hits a stretch of killer apps.
Maybe in one week or two, but i dont think that it will affect much other than that. Mostly thinking about software sales then because i dont expect Persona to do much resurgence for Vita besides a smaller and shorter bump.

It's not a visualised gimmick so of course no one would care. When you see the Vita the first thing you notice isn't that it has a touch pad on the back, it's the very last thing you notice, if you notice it at all. Even if it's pointed out, the most a customer can really say is "that's nice...."

It's an extremely unnoticeable gimmick, which even worse is that doesn't immediately make the cusomer think of ways it could be used to improve software. Add to this that Sony doesn't even properly show these worthwhile ways, and you end up with a gimmick a developer doesn't care about and a customer even less.
The back touch panel will first show its true potential when FPS games come out. This is at least where i see the biggest potential.

Busaiku

To put it differently, on which platform B&W will be selling the most?
Or also, wording it in a slightly different way, which platform will be shifting more hardware on account of B&W?

For sure 3DS+DS combined sales are going to be predictably massive, on the other hand I reckon it's going to be hard to predict hardware numbers this time around, what with the huge user-base DS has in Japan, most of those still on the fence for 3DS and probably not willing to purchase it yet, since they can play the game anyway on their old system.

DS has had 3 big Pokemon games though, so the number of people that would've wanted it for Pokemon likely have it.
On the other hand, 3DS hasn't had any main game, so it will no doubt see a bigger impact.

Didn't Pokemon Conquest help to stabilize 3DS as well earlier on, or am I just assuming too much?

Anustart

Has anyone tried to spin the Vita numbers like last week and say it's not a drop, but actually a bump due to some obscure factor that would have resulted in less sales had it not happened?

But yeah, everyone took a huge dive this week, I expect everyone to raise a bit next week, with Vita raising back up near 8,000.

B2/W2 will sell 500k in its first hours.

More so, in fact I said "like" as I wanted to make clear mine was not meant like a proper prediction, but just a random tentative number to show how, in my opinion, B&W2 may be not affecting 3DS hardware sales as much as we would be expecting if it was exclusive, and if we assumed B&W2 is going to sell, say, 2/3 million copies first week, I would not be expecting 3DS to sell accordingly 1 million units, that would make it a bigger system-seller than SM3DLand, MK7 and MH3G combined last December.

Didn't Pokemon Conquest help to stabilize 3DS as well earlier on, or am I just assuming too much?
3DS went from 68K to 64K the week Pokemon Conquest launched and then the week after it rose considerably but that was due to other software. It's possible it lessened the fall but I don't think there's any evidence given to state either way.

For the record I think Pokemon B/W2 will give 3DS a modest boost but not a significant/killer app boost.

More so, in fact I said "like" as I wanted to make clear mine was not meant like a proper prediction, but just a random tentative number to show how, in my opinion, B&W2 may be not affecting 3DS hardware sales as much as we would be expecting if it was exclusive, and if we assumed B&W2 is going to sell, say, 2/3 million copies first week, I would not be expecting 3DS to sell accordingly 1 million units, that would make it a bigger system-seller than SM3DLand, MK7 and MH3G combined last December.

Let's put it like this. Pokemon B/W sold over 2.5 million first week. Retailers are expecting similar results with B/W 2 and other evidence seems to suggest it is likely. Do you think that will provide a noticeable increase in 3DS sales?

Culex

Banned
Huge collapse of hardware / software, but this happens every year. Nintendo actually fared pretty well compared to last year!

Vita.....things aren't looking good. I hope sales increase soon.

UFeQj.png

Neat statistic:

If 3DS sells 53,024 units next week, it will hit 6 million the same time the Vita hits 700k.

sphinx

the piano man
you know, even if it was doing slighlty better, say 15k per week, the 3DS is doing so much better that it would neutralize any thoughts of publishers considering developing for Vita instead of 3DS and the market is narrowing so much that it wouldn't make a difference.

you don't come to the battle unprepared, do so and you die.

Vita lacked it's system seller. and yeah I use past tense there, there's no promise of a system seller anywhere and whatever is announced at E3 will be released the holidays at the earliest.

8 months of sub 10k weeks until then? gotta be kidding me.

all this vita doom and gloom/game cancellation chat

sega has three games coming? and one punny port for 3ds? where sega bets, i bet n____~
I love Sega. I drove two hours with my brother to a Midnight launch for the Dreamcast. The magic is gone now, no point in dwelling on the past.

It's laughable that you hinge yourself on Sega's support when their only interesting game in the near future is for the 3DS.

Let's put it like this. Pokemon B/W sold over 2.5 million first week. Retailers are expecting similar results with B/W 2 and other evidence seems to suggest it is likely. Do you think that will provide a noticeable increase in 3DS sales?

Yes, I do of course, but as for the order of magnitude of said bump it's more difficult for me to say.

If I should have a guess, assuming B&W2 is going to sell 2mlls+ 1st week, I don't think 3DS's sales will top 1 million units in a single week; many will be content with playing it on old gen systems, besides Nintendo will try and flog their DSi stock remnants, possibly with bundles.
To put it in few words, I just don't believe B&W2 will have the same attach-rate on 3DS as MH3G, SM3DLand or MK7, all thing being considered.

I would be glad to be proven wrong though, and if 3DS sales should turn out to destroy all previous records I will eat crow with much pleasure indeed.

Yes, I do of course, but as for the order of magnitude of said bump it's more difficult for me to say.

If I should have a guess, assuming B&W2 is going to sell 2mlls+ 1st week, I don't think 3DS's sales will top 1 million units on a single week; many will be content with playing it on old gen systems, besides Nintendo will try and flog their DSi stock remnants, possibly with bundles.
To put it in few words, I don't think B&W2 will have the same attach-rate on 3DS as MH3G, SM3DLand or MK7.

I would be glad to be proven wrong though, and if 3DS sales should turn out to destroy all previous records I will eat crow with much pleasure indeed.
No, I'm in agreement with you. I just read through your other posts. I originally interpreted you as saying there wouldn't be a bump.

So damn sad to see the Vita dying. A 3DS only portable landscape is not a good thing. :(
While I feel bad that high quality hardware is failing; what was so wrong with GB and GBA those both managed to do fine without competition. Also, people's perception that Nintendo will get lazy without competition is true but they are competing against their former glory trying to reach those heights again as well as the comparisons between it and Apple. So they still have the drive to continue pushing aggressively. For now at least.

So damn sad to see the Vita dying. A 3DS only portable landscape is not a good thing. :(

Why? Nintendo has taken steps to try to turn 3DS sales around while trying to placate it's fanbase in the wake of the price drop for early adopters. Sony so far has done nothing to turn the tide but i hope they do, really.

3DS went from 68K to 64K the week Pokemon Conquest launched and then the week after it rose considerably but that was due to other software. It's possible it lessened the fall but I don't think there's any evidence given to state either way.

For the record I think Pokemon B/W2 will give 3DS a modest boost but not a significant/killer app boost.

I'd agree with your hypothesis about the boost to the 3DS, but I don't think the Pokemon Conquest comparison holds up at all; the profile of the game is much smaller, and the BW2 marketing has been making big things of the experience being improved on 3DS, what with the AR Searcher app and so on. It won't push as many 3DSs as SM3DL, MK7 or MH3G, and certainly nowhere near the ballpark that a 3DS exclusive Pokemon title would have, but it will bring a pronounced bump.

No, I'm in agreement with you. I just read through your other posts. I originally interpreted you as saying there wouldn't be a bump.

While I feel bad that high quality hardware is failing; what was so wrong with GB and GBA those both managed to do fine without competition. Also, people's perception that Nintendo will get lazy without competition is true but they are competing against their former glory trying to reach those heights again as well as the comparisons between it and Apple. So they still have the drive to continue pushing aggressively. For now at least.

I really hate the 3ds hardware, it's relative lack of power, poor controls, terrible ergonomics, and crappy screens. To me, it feels like a cheap toy. :(

Why? Nintendo has taken steps to try to turn 3DS sales around while trying to placate it's fanbase in the wake of the price drop for early adopters. Sony so far has done nothing to turn the tide but i hope they do, really.

I don't care about Nintendo's fanbase. Nintendo systems simply do not have the type of gaming experiences that I generally enjoy.

Truth101

Banned
I think you're failing to take into due consideration the fact that in Japan 32 million DSs have been sold so far, therefore if B&W is going to sell, say, 500k/800k first week, 3DS may not have too much of a bump accordingly, as many fence-sitters will just play it on their DS/DSLite/DSi.

Other than that, I believe Nintendo has still some thousand DSis stocked somewhere they need to flog.

500-800k?

You mean around 2-2.5m right?

BnW2 should give the3DS a moderate bump when you consider the Pokemon apps on the e-shop.

Metallix87

A 3DS only portable landscape is not a good thing. :(

Actually, aside from the death of region free portables (thanks pirates!), this isn't so bad. Nintendo's fighting tooth and nail to ensure that handhelds survive in the post-mobile world, so that's enough "competition" to keep them going, I'd think.

As it stands, Vita is doing very little to hinder the 3DS anyway.

Top Bottom