• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2017 (May 08 - May 14)

Cerium

No one decides who gets into Smash except Sakurai.

He doesn't always care if the character is popular or not either.

D.Lo

I wish there was another quality crossover series. I really don't like Smash, but do like all the Nintendo history stuff and game references.

noshten

So Arms is Y5,572, I'm expecting that if it doesn't do too well for that price to be around Y4,000-4,500 by the summer holidays. The main thing I've noticed is that with multiplayer games like Splatoon on the Wii U Nintendo doesn't mind discounting them. Especially with new potential revenue coming from subs down the line - I can see them really trying to push Arms in the summer when majority of new buyers will be kids.

Also Zelda: BotW is another game I can see Nintendo discounting later this year in Japan currently the price is still around Y6,000-6,500 but if they want more potential buyers of the DLC I can see them dropping that by a couple of thousand yen for the summer vacation months.

So Arms is Y5,572, I'm expecting that if it doesn't do too well for that price to be around Y4,000-4,500 by the summer holidays. The main thing I've noticed is that with multiplayer games like Splatoon on the Wii U Nintendo doesn't mind discounting them. Especially with new potential revenue coming from subs down the line - I can see them really trying to push Arms in the summer when majority of new buyers will be kids.

Also Zelda: BotW is another game I can see Nintendo discounting later this year in Japan currently the price is still around Y6,000-6,500 but if they want more potential buyers of the DLC I can see them dropping that by a couple of thousand yen for the summer vacation months.

Nintendo games drop price in Japan? They usually stay full price pretty much forever where i live.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So

Trinity to be announced soon with not only MH5 , Persona 5p but also Smash (with Snake added)

Right?

Some you know the source is questionable at best and yet every time, you fill these threads with posts concerned about the very same rumour you question so much.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

What ? These games will be discounted at the end of the generation if you are lucky and they are part of a Classics series. Especially Zelda and Splatoon2 wont get a price drop anytime soon.

You might be confusing companies here.

Eolz

Some you know the source is questionable at best and yet every time, you fill these threads with posts concerned about the very same rumour you question so much.

It's not being concerned, it's just hilarious to see that come up time and time again.
You can bet the rumor will continue after nothing happens at E3, then nothing at TGS, etc.

sinonobu

Banned
about that topic that always arises on weekends...

would a japan-only "Trinity" make any kind of sense?

Nah. Vita didn't sell that well in Japan and Switch is already somewhat taking its position.

Some might argue that Handheld is more popular in Asia, but the truth is that recently there's a trend in Asia when only PS4 version of the game is localized even when its Vita/PS4 multi-plat.

casiopao

Samus was at least "popular" at a time and is old in enough to considered part of the core group of Nintendo characters. Arms would have to do Splatoon ballpark level to see herself in Smash brothers etc and even then she's not the face of the franchise and thus could be shafted like Tharja (though she's more P.G friendly than tharja is).

When ARMS come and do great, we will forget about Samus lol.^^

No. That is going to be even worst money pit that the current Vita lol. At least even though Vita super flop outside of Japan.(Still doing badly in Japan too.) It can get some software money from worldwide market. If they released this exclusive in Japan? Sony would be a mad mad company lol.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Nope. If Sony wanted to do a PSP3, they would have at least put more effort into the Vita just like Nintendo put effort into the Wii U to please its existing userbase. They also wouldn't have heavily encouraged all the Japanese Vita 3rd parties to move to PS4 even though most didn't want to.

sphinx

the piano man
Nah. Vita didn't sell that well in Japan and Switch is already somewhat taking its position.

Some might argue that Handheld is more popular in Asia, but the truth is that recently there's a trend in Asia when only PS4 version of the game is localized even when its Vita/PS4 multi-plat.

Nope. If Sony wanted to do a PSP3, they would have at least put more effort into the Vita just like Nintendo put effort into the Wii U to please its existing userbase. They also wouldn't have heavily encouraged all the Japanese Vita 3rd parties to move to PS4 even though most didn't want to.

I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out a possible idea for a PSP3 but I just realized it would have to be a switch knock-off, maybe more powerful, able to play PS4 games on it but that would cost upwards of $500....

there's is sadly no place for ANY other handheld than the switch, it blows really, the PSP was great.

I just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out a possible idea for a PSP3 but I just realized it would have to be a switch knock-off, maybe more powerful, able to play PS4 games on it but that would cost upwards of $500....

there's is sadly no place for ANY other handheld than the switch, it blows really, the PSP was great.

I don't find it particularly sad. The PSP was great because it brought something to the table that Nintendo did not already provide. What would a Sony handheld bring to the table now? PSP vs. DS was PS2- vs. N64+, a massively different experience, but the power gap would now be basically irrelevant. I don't know how powerful a PSP3 could be, but it would have no impact on the gameplay anymore, and that was their only real sales argument. I don't think there is a need for Sony in the handheld space anymore.

casiopao

The only sad things from PSP is that Sony release Vita as its successor and then give middle finger to the platform.

I would rather see other company actually trying to give that market some care and love with new product rather than seeing Sony coming in to get some bucks after that disaster they did.

Nintendo doesn't discount their games unless they re-release Best Price versions, which doesn't happen very often and definitely not this early in a consoles life span. Retailers might if they have a bunch of extra supply, which they won't.

Hellraider

The most plausible way I can see Sony coming back to the handheld market is with a PS4P. Literally a portable PS4. We are still a ways off of such a device, though. There is also the problem of whether this would still make any sense by the time it becomes technically possible.

Oregano

I don't find it particularly sad. The PSP was great because it brought something to the table that Nintendo did not already provide. What would a Sony handheld bring to the table now? PSP vs. DS was PS2- vs. N64+, a massively different experience, but the power gap would now be basically irrelevant. I don't know how powerful a PSP3 could be, but it would have no impact on the gameplay anymore, and that was their only real sales argument. I don't think there is a need for Sony in the handheld space anymore.

Yes, this is essentially what it comes to. I think there's two questions people ask about a hypothetical Vita successor?

1)Is Sony happy with Vita level sales?
2)Are they just going to give up the market?

I think both are silly questions. Sony clearly isn't happy with Vita level sales or they wouldn't have obfuscated sales results, closed their Vita studios and stopped shipping to retailers in the west. As to the latter, the sales were insignificant. What matters to Sony is their stranglehold on third party support and they don't need a Vita successor for that because they're transitioned everyone to PS4 and the few losses to Switch will be more than made up for by the big Nintendo-exclusive stuff now releasing on PS4 as well.

The only real question is how does Sony meaningfully differentiate a hypothetical Vita successor from the Nintendo Switch in terms of both hardware and software?

From a hardware perspective I think there's significantly less space there than in the past. The Tegra X1 in the Switch is still one of the most competitive chips on the high end for a mobile device and the the actual hardware design of the Switch is actually more in line with PSP or Vita.

From a software perspective Sony no longer has any first party resources that could be directed towards this kind of thing. The vast majority of their Vita studios have been shut down and we know they won't put their A-teams on there.

The third party software angle is the only area I see any potential for real differentiation from Sony because they still have Japanese developers who are fiercely loyal to their hardware as well as clearly better relations with indies and western third parties.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 21, 2017 (May 22 - May 28)

new releases

{2017.05.24}
[PS4] Gwent: The Witcher Card Game _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (CD Projekt Red Studio) (¥0)
[XB1] Gwent: The Witcher Card Game _Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (CD Projekt Red Studio) (¥0)

{2017.05.25}
[PSV] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.800)
[PSV] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.800)
[PSV] Marginal 4: Road to Galaxy # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] Marginal 4: Road to Galaxy (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] Marginal 4: Road to Galaxy (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Love of Renai Koutei of Love! # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥4.980)
[PSV] Love of Renai Koutei of Love! (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.980)
[PSV] Love of Renai Koutei of Love! (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥3.686)
[PSV] Daredemo Shodan ni Nareru Igo Kyoushitsu <TBL> (SilverStar) (¥4.800)
[PSV] Daredemo Shodan ni Nareru Igo Kyoushitsu (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (SilverStar) (¥4.320)
[NSW] World of Goo _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Flyhigh Works) (¥925)
[PS4] Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Collection <Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Seven Days Room \ Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Second Feel \ Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Day Out \ Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Extra Scene - Cafe \ Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Extra Scene - Grand Fireworks> |PlayStation VR| <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥4.800)
[PS4] Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Arc System Works) (¥4.444)
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Hyper Light Drifter <RPG> (Active Gaming Media) (¥3.686)
[PS4] Hyper Light Drifter (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Active Gaming Media) (¥2.297)
[PS4] Ginsei Shogi Aun Toushin Kongou Raizan <TBL> (SilverStar) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Ginsei Shogi Aun Toushin Kongou Raizan (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (SilverStar) (¥6.120)
[PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate [Ubi the Best] <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥3.980)
[PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (&#949;) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| [Ubi the Best] <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥3.980)
[XB1] Gears of War 4 <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥5.900)
[XB1] Gears of War 4 (&#949;) _Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥5.463)
[XB1] Gears of War 4 (&#949;) _Download Version_ |DL| (Ultimate Edition) <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥9.167)
[PS3] Shoujo to Dragon: Genjuu Keiyaku Cryptract _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Lionsfilm) (¥0)

{2017.05.26}
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) (¥4.990)
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (&#949;) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Capcom) (¥4.620)
[PSV] Slain: Back From Hell _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (CrossFunction) (¥1.111)
[PS4] Slain: Back From Hell _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (CrossFunction) (¥1.111)
___

YSO predictions

01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe < 30k (average 25k)
02. [NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers < 25k (average 20k)
03. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana < 25k (average 20k)

Concerned? They seem to be just trolling it imo. *shrugs*.

I got the joke the first time. Second time the rumour came up as well. Third and fourth.....its just getting sad, repeatedly focusing and following on something that you apparently saw as hearsay.

If there are more reputable sources then a discussion seems interesting, but there hasn't been any, has there?

It's not being concerned, it's just hilarious to see that come up time and time again.
You can bet the rumor will continue after nothing happens at E3, then nothing at TGS, etc.

I can call up numerous rumours from questionable sources and "laugh" at them when they don't show up, but whats the point when these rumours have little valid basis. Its like, what are you laughing at?

sphinx

the piano man
Yes, this is essentially what it comes to. I think there's two questions people ask about a hypothetical Vita successor?

1)Is Sony happy with Vita level sales?
2)Are they just going to give up the market?

I think both are silly questions. Sony clearly isn't happy with Vita level sales or they wouldn't have obfuscated sales results, closed their Vita studios and stopped shipping to retailers in the west. As to the latter, the sales were insignificant. What matters to Sony is their stranglehold on third party support and they don't need a Vita successor for that because they're transitioned everyone to PS4 and the few losses to Switch will be more than made up for by the big Nintendo-exclusive stuff now releasing on PS4 as well.

The only real question is how does Sony meaningfully differentiate a hypothetical Vita successor from the Nintendo Switch in terms of both hardware and software?

From a hardware perspective I think there's significantly less space there than in the past. The Tegra X1 in the Switch is still one of the most competitive chips on the high end for a mobile device and the the actual hardware design of the Switch is actually more in line with PSP or Vita.

From a software perspective Sony no longer has any first party resources that could be directed towards this kind of thing. The vast majority of their Vita studios have been shut down and we know they won't put their A-teams on there.

The third party software angle is the only area I see any potential for real differentiation from Sony because they still have Japanese developers who are fiercely loyal to their hardware as well as clearly better relations with indies and western third parties.

I agree with Hellraider that any potential sony handheld would have to be related to the PS4, an item to enjoy that particular gaming experience but on the go, with improvements in the QoL.

maybe in 3 or 4 years, they can develop a Dualshock for PS4 wth an integrated screen (yeah a Switch rip-off) that isn't too expensive to produce, as technology gets old, that let's you play PS4 games on the go.

a Handheld with games of its own? no way in hell,

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
&#332;kami;237588348 said:
Sales next week are going to be super low, so place your bets on weather or not Gears of War 4 will manage to chart.

It should chart on Dengeki at least. I presume it'll sell at least 1K, and that was rank 40 this past week.

Springman and Mechanica will be next to join Mario Kart before Samus

I've noticed that all of the guest characters in MK8/MK8D all seem to originate from EAD (technically EPD now).

Link
Isabelle
AC Villager
Inklings

Which would make sense, considering Mario Kart has also been developed within EAD, so naturally those are the characters closest to the development team.

In that sense, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spring Man and maybe Ribbon Girl show up as racers at some point, especially considering ARMS is being developed by a lot of the same team that worked on MK8.

Unless Sony's did this before, I'm pretty sure if a PSP 3 was coming, we'd have heard about it during their FY meeting a month ago.

Nintendo always brings up new HW in their forecasts of the upcoming FY. For Wii U they gave an earlier heads up since the system was being unveiled at E3 2011 despite releasing in 2012.

A PSP 3 can't be releasing any earlier than April 2018, and even then, where are the legit leaks? Pretty sure we'd get actual developer leaks by now, be it from Ubisoft or elsewhere.

Besides, pretty sure Sony entered in the first place to beat Nintendo. The PS1 and PS2 beating Nintendo's systems likely gave them the confidence to attempt it, but both times they were nowhere near close. Plus as we've discussed Sony gave up essentially on 1st-party support for Vita in basically record time. Not exactly a good sign.

ggx2ac

I still think we haven't seen the last of Sony in the handheld space. Time will tell.

I know it's never say never but, we saw how past handheld competitors bowed out when they could no longer compete in the dedicated handheld space.

Sega, Bandai, Atari, NEC.

Now mobile gaming is taking away from that space so it's become even more competitive.

That's why Nintendo and Sony have both ended up joining mobile.

Although, since Sony manufactures their own mobile phone line, similar to how they use PlayStation to sell their HD and now 4K TVs, they could advertise their soon to be released mobile games on their own Sony branded phones.

Aiii

So not worth it
I still think we haven't seen the last of Sony in the handheld space. Time will tell.

At best they will do a streaming solution for the PS4 to make a sorta Switch, but competing outright with the Switch as a dedicated handheld now seems like a battle you won't win, ever.

Cerium

• The Switch is closer to Sony's design philosophy than any Nintendo handheld before it. I don't see much space for a PSP3 to differentiate itself.
  • Sony does not have the resources to support three platforms. People are already clamoring for more robust PSVR support.
  • The failure and swift abandonment of the Vita undoubtedly spooked major third parties and burned bridges with consumers and retailers. Nobody is going to be eager to jump on that train early this time around.
  • They would be launching against a library that would already include Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8D, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and possibly Pokemon Stars. Rest in fucking pieces.

What would be the point of a new Sony handheld? To take a small pie out of the 40 million 3DS sales overseas? I'm pretty sure they would rather sell an extra 20 million PS4s, considering how tie ratios for handhelds are notably lower than home consoles.

To take a small pie out of the 20 million 3DS sales in Japan? Again whats the point when the PS4 has already got the best third party support on the market.

Oregano

What would be the point of a new Sony handheld? To take a small pie out of the 40 million 3DS sales overseas? I'm pretty sure they would rather sell an extra 20 million PS4s, considering how tie ratios for handhelds are notably lower than home consoles.

To take a small pie out of the 20 million 3DS sales in Japan? Again whats the point when the PS4 has already got the best third party support on the market.

Although I agree with your overall point I don't think the 3DS is necessarily the absolute upper limit to what a portable device can sell worldwide(it probably is in Japan).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Switch WILL outsell the 3DS worldwide. Whether or not it is on the technicality of also being Nintendo's home console for the next 5-10 years is a matter of perspective.

Oregano

The Switch WILL outsell the 3DS worldwide. Whether or not it is on the technicality of also being Nintendo's home console for the next 5-10 years is a matter of perspective.

I think it's a bit early to say that but I would say it's looking better so far.

I don't think the technicality really means anything when every portable has outsold their equivalent home console anyway.

Hellraider

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the soon to come mobile games from Sony. For as much brute forcing as they and third parties did with the transition to PS4, its Japanese sales both in software and hardware still leave a lot to be desired. I can't wait to see if they get even close to having a couple of Fate GO-like successes or their presumably serious now attempt at it ends like another half-assed one that Sony is so well known for.

After how much of a failure the Vita was and how much of a success the PS4 has been, I see no reason for Sony to keep committing themselves to the handheld market.

Their business is (mostly) the home console market in the west. That's what they should keep focusing on.

Ōkami

1. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 38
  2. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 26
  3. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 18
  4. [PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 14
  5. [PS4] Prey - 13
  6. [PSV] Rewrite Harvest Festa - 12
  7. [PS4] Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - 10
  8. [PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 9
  9. [3DS] Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters - 8
  10. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 7
  11. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 7