• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2016 (Jan 11 - Jan 17)

hiska-kun

Why do you find that pretty strange (serious question)? Do you have the data for the original on Wii U? (I'll check it out myself later when I have a bit more time).

First week.

[WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14} (¥7.980) - 69.090

I find strange tha fact that the game had some stock problems when the first day sell-through was reported to be 30%.
Also I was expecting the game selling around 50k first week. 60k seems possible, but I find it difficult to pass 70k.

Vena

I think Setsuna is even lower budget than Bravely Default (by itself, Tokyo RPG factory establishment probably cost a lot more than developing a new Bravely), and as they stated from the very beginning it's only the first project of a completely new team with young staffers that are trying to gain experience through a first small project with Unity.

It's weird that they somehow killed the Bravely IP, but Tokyo RPG Factory is more of a longterm plan while they didn't see (or wanted to see) any potential left for the Bravely IP in the coming years, Silicon Studio being an external dev probably didn't help the decision making in favour of Bravely too.
Nier Automata is being made by Platinum ? Well fuck it, I have no idea how all of that make sense in the end

While I get the idea about the new studio and the new project... why not just take the Bravely Default IP (one that is popular, mind you, and already established in a similar vein that Setsuna is now trying to enter)? Is the IP irrevocably tied to Silicon Studio or handhelds? Can you not just combine the (apparently) comical budgets of each project and make one good project?

I don't really get the thought process that SE is following with this, and I honestly think that BD even succeeding was to them not only a surprise, but an event that they had no idea what to do with. They produced a product of moderate success, Nintendo took it over to the West, and all of a sudden it was a million-seller IP.

Maniel

Banned
While I get the idea about the new studio and the new project... why not just take the Bravely Default IP (one that is popular, mind you, and already established in a similar vein that Setsuna is now trying to enter)? Is the IP irrevocably tied to Silicon Studio or handhelds? Can you not just combine the (apparently) comical budgets of each project and make one good project?

I don't really get the thought process that SE is following with this, and I honestly think that BD even succeeding was to them not only a surprise, but an event that they had no idea what to do with. They produced a product of moderate success, Nintendo took it over to the West, and all of a sudden it was a million-seller IP.

It definitely feels like the series was lost in the shuffle when Square changed its strategy regarding traditional games. It's a shame because I think they would be able to coexist nicely. Bravely could have stayed on Nintendo systems while Setsuna could be on Sony systems. Each ecosystem would have an old-style Square game.

crinale

It definitely feels like the series was lost in the shuffle when Square changed its strategy regarding traditional games. It's a shame because I think they would be able to coexist nicely. Bravely could have stayed on Nintendo systems while Setsuna could be on Sony systems. Each ecosystem would have an old-style Square game.

I think Bravely 2 kinda tainted the reputation (at least in Japan) with bad reception. However I think they could continue the series because reception isn't nowhere irreversible so we may see new entry at NX much later.

duckroll

Different producers, different priorities, different focus. It is easy for fans to just look at everything as one picture and ask all these questions but big companies, especially in Japan, don't operate like that.

Whoever proposed the Tokyo RPG Studio project to begin with would have his own ideas and plans.

Vena

Different producers, different priorities, different focus. It is easy for fans to just look at everything as one picture and ask all these questions but big companies, especially in Japan, don't operate like that.

Whoever proposed the Tokyo RPG Studio project to begin with would have his own ideas and plans.

This is fair. I do have a completely outsiders PoV which completely alters the perspective of things.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It feels odd to be arguing this side instead, but I think the Bravely Default/Setsuna situation makes more sense if you zoom in than if you sit back at the 40,000 foot corporate level.

Bravely Default

Tomoya Asano was the producer of the following games:

Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Bravely Default
Bravely Default: Praying Brague
Bravely Second

If we look at his career path, he made a name for himself remaking old Final Fantasy games, and then parlayed this into being able to make a new IP. Bravely Default originally leaked as the sequel to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, and you can still see many elements from that in the game, but they ultimately decided to make it a new IP instead.

If we look at Wikipedia's summary of the game's development, we can see it went through a lot of revision as well:

Even though the game has been called a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light,[3] Bravely Default was designed as a new IP heavily inspired by both the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest franchises. Its title stemmed from its two core battle options.[16] Kensuke Nakahara, the game's designer, said that the project started as "an incredibly standard RPG, a bit like [Final Fantasy III] or [Final Fantasy V], but the concern was whether this was the best thing for a new IP like this. With this gameplay system, I felt like it really had the chance to turn the whole game around, so I was incredibly excited about it."[16] Naotaka Hayashi was the scenario writer for Bravely Default, having previously been the scenario writer for Steins;Gate, and developed the plot and the characters.[4] During development, Asano asked Hayashi to increase the age of the characters, and make sure that all the characters were appealing, whether good or bad. Hayashi explained in an interview that the title Bravely Default means "have courage and renounce the promises and responsibilities that are expected of you".[4] The games producer Tomoya Asano was attempting to make a game with "appealing and likeable characters and a scenario that surprised players", and after seeing Steins;Gate, asked Hayashi's employer, 5pb., if he could work on the project.[4] Asano designed the Final Fantasy-style story so players would have little trouble entering, while the story-telling and gameplay was heavily influenced by western video games and television series, with Asano seeing it as a "Japanese RPG with American content thrown in."[22]

The game was originally designed as an action RPG, but later in the development, the development team switched to a traditional RPG formula.[23] The game's developers also decided to cater for the core Japanese RPG fanbase, as they did not believe the game viable for Western release at the time.[24] During the latest stages of the game's development, the team had to make several last-minute tweaks and changes to ensure the game delivered the best possible performance.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravely_Default#Development

If we step back a bit, the first three games he produced were all made by Matrix, but for Bravely Default, he tried to get a bunch of new people Square Enix hadn't really worked with before to make the game and externally direct it since Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light didn't turn out very well quality wise and didn't sell especially well either. Given his prior success, Square Enix was supportive in letting him hire who he wanted, while Matrix was moved on to making iOS remakes of Final Fantasy games instead.

However, throughout the game's development, most of the pushing and promotion for the series was coming out of Asano. There was the initial reveal where a bunch of Square Enix staff sat down and talked up how this was the next RPG series from the company that brought you Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, but the passion was being driven out of Asano having ambitions to produce his own games and really get it right.

At the time, Square Enix was much more focused on big hits however, and Bravely Default wasn't exactly moving as many copies as Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy IV, so I suspect they had less interest in pouring a lot of money into the sequel, especially since there was a long delay before they greenlit it. They did greenlight around 3 months before the first Western release however, so they presumably decided on a budget they were willing to work with based on how it did in Japan, and the end result was Bravely Second. Square Enix is not known for being super generous with their budgets at this point, especially for smaller projects, and we even had Koei Tecmo publicly expressing they had worries about the amount of time and resources they had to get Dragon Quest Heroes done, so I don't think they were singling this game out in any way for lesser support so much as that just being the corporate direction they're operating under.

Prior to Bravely Second launching, Asano noted that if the game sold really well, he would immediately submit a proposal for the next game. The game came out to pretty ho-hum results, and Asano followed up in an interview saying they were interested in continuing the series, but currently he was sitting and talking with the senior staff over at Silicon about whether they wanted to make another Bravely sequel or a New IP. Now, let's boil this down for a second. The direct implication here is that Square Enix is still publishing an Asano produced, Silicon Studio directed and developed game. It also implies that Asano and the team are getting to decide their next move as opposed to being ordered to do anything in particular. To me, the situation comes off as as a case of Asano going "Well, Bravely Second had a performance where we could go either way, so let's sit down and ask ourselves what we really feel we should be doing next." as opposed to a shadowy council of Square Enix executives yelling "YOU SHALL FAIL!!! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" while tossing lightning bolts at him. Maybe they'll decide to make another Bravely game, maybe they'll decide to make a different throw back IP, or maybe they'll even go back to their Action RPG idea, but I don't get a sense of animosity or a cloud of failure hanging over the team so much as a group with a lot of autonomy deciding between two forks in the road.

Project Setsuna

This game appears to be Square Enix's CEO's current pet project, but also looks one of their lowest (if not the lowest) budget non-mobile projects overall.

The genesis of this project was that Square Enix's CEO wanted a group of developers who were fans of Square Enix's older games to go about developing an "authentic (classic) JRPG" without the burden of the Square Enix brand (and thus Square Enix's modern stylistic choices) hovering over them. As such, he set up the studio as a different corporate entity (it's a subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings instead of Square Enix Japan), put Atsushi Hashimoto in as the director (I'll go into the relevance of this in a bit), and asked him to hire a bunch of people from both within and especially outside of the company to make the game.

Atsushi Hashimoto was an interesting choice of directors because he was a planner on the SaGa 2 remake for DS, had left to join Sora to make Kid Icarus, and came back to Square Enix to direct Final Fantasy Explorers. Not only is rejoining your old company unusual in Japan, but this was actually a notable part of why he was chosen to lead this project. Matsuda felt that as someone who had been outside Square Enix and came back, he would be someone well fit to running a studio that was both part of Square Enix and not part of Square Enix. Side Note: Don't hold your breath for Final Fantasy Explorers 2.

While Matsuda had various ideas for what he wanted to see in the game, and the team requested that he elaborate on what he wanted, he refused to share them as he didn't want to influence the direction of the game and instead have it actually be the result of his vision of a new classic style JRPG made by people who were fans of Square Enix's old work.

Now, what sticks out here is that - as I noted at the start - this game actually looks incredibly cheap. On paper, this is unusual, given that at E3 2015 every game was shown by the staff that worked on the game except for Project Setsuna, which was their show closing announcement done by Matsuda himself. Given he participated in a lot of the initial interviews for the game and it's obviously a very important project to him, you wouldn't expect it to be something that seems so marginalized from a resources perspective.

However, and I could be wrong here, but a lens under which this makes more sense is this being a downloadable title overseas, and that being the primary market for the game. In Japan, the downloadable space - while improving - isn't especially healthy, so I suspect they want to do a Bravely Default: For The Sequel type scenario where they release it in Japan to whatever audience is interested, and then take feedback from them to try and improve the game for the Western release. Despite being unveiled at E3 with a lengthy speech, the project has never really been officiated for the West nor even had an official title translation, so I suspect they want to go through this whole process carefully and not introduce the game until they have the improved version to show.

In general, I think this game has no impact on Bravely Default nor any impact upon what Asano is doing. The core difference here is that Asano is a very long time Square Enix producer with significant autonomy over what he does, while Atsushi Hashimoto is a relatively new director who is helming the CEO's pet project, so the corporate focus is bit different.

horuhe

Yeah, Project Setsuna definitely seems like a digital only type release. Something to promote on PS Store, put in a few sales down the road, etc... The extra cost from a physical launch is avoided and the base overseas, however small or large that may be, can dive into it.

I actually want more stuff like that.

Vinnk

Additionaly, Tsutaya is reporting overall low sales (except the new releases) due to a cold wave.

I love the heat/cold wave meme. I remember when that happened. Jokes aside though. It was crazy cold. In Kyushu there was record snowfall (it usually never snows here) and schools/businesses/etc. were closed. My wife runs a shop and not a single customer braved the cold to come for about 2 days. That is just the area I live but I hear Japan in general was hit pretty hard.

I am not near enough to a Pokemon center to confirm the extent of the damage.

Can KanColle Kai have a 200k+ opening ? it has got some 300+ points on Comgnet?

Ratio will be awful for it. It would've been bad anyway (it's the kind of game that's pre-ordered by a dedicated fanbase, as demonstrated by the fact that it has over 300 points and yet we haven't even really seen any gameplay), and the delays will have hurt with the points: sales ratio too.

noobie

Banned
Well, a 100k+ opening is granted - even 150k+; problems will be legs but those are almost assured to be bad given the audience.

if the game is multi million seller on mobile then why it should have issue with legs? dont you think some of the fans will move to Vita if it provides some unique and differentiating features? i thought it just might be an evergreen title for Vita like MineCraft..

if the game is multi million seller on mobile then why it should have issue with legs? dont you think some of the fans will move to Vita if it provides some unique and differentiating features? i thought it just might be an evergreen title for Vita like MineCraft..

million seller? it's a free browser game... and it's not on mobile.... yet

We already had this discussion before but that's still true 3 weeks before the release : Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna is the least marketed Square Enix game ever. The website is updated once in a month to show some screenshots and one new character or mechanic (this month was the Materia-like gems system). Otherwise, it has a grand total of two trailers, one for the TGS and one for the Jump Festa. Compared to this, Bravely Default looks like a AAA. It's only coming to retail because basically everything in Japan does, even F2P games like PSO2 or Dragon's Dogma Online.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
KanColle has lots of aficionados, I don't know if they are likely to be Vita aficionados as well, or if there is any chance of an aficionado-synergy effect here, or if there could even be a permanent Minecraft-like aficionado-increasing effect on the system as a whole

Kancolle didn't strike me as a game targeted towards a young audience like Minecraft, therefore able to sell over time - it seems a quite otaku-oriented game, and extremely good early preorders showed that. Also, you cannot translate 1:1 mobile & social trends in the dedicated space; Love Live was donwloaded millions of times and sold 88k FW / 115k LTD units on PSV.

KanColle has lots of aficionados, I don't know if they are likely to be Vita aficionados as well, or if there is any chance of an aficionado-synergy effect here, or if there could even be a permanent Minecraft-like aficionado-increasing effect on the system as a whole

It's fine mocking me and I don't care but are you really shocked by the word "aficionados"? It's a perfectly appropriate word, which exists in dictionaries.

We already had this discussion before but that's still true 3 weeks before the release : Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna is the least marketed Square Enix game ever. The website is updated once in a month to show some screenshots and one new character or mechanic (this month was the Materia-like gems system). Otherwise, it has a grand total of two trailers, one for the TGS and one for the Jump Festa. Compared to this, Bravely Default looks like a AAA. It's only coming to retail because basically everything in Japan does, even F2P games like PSO2 or Dragon's Dogma Online.

Then one might ask: why? Even if it's considered a digital-only game (which is receiving a retail release because of the feature of the Japanese video game market), what's the reason of not bothering to advertise it? Perhaps SQEX is thinking the game will sell by itself? That said, the BD comparison is apt in terms of development and such, but I never said it must have sold as much as BD - at the beginning I thought 150-200k would have been a reasonable expectation for the game (which is 100k units shorted of what the original BD sold), in particular if SQEX wanted to start a new series. Of course, reasonable company expectations =/= personal expectations based on buzz and preorders.

Tadaima

Just noticed that Media Create has an English website and weekly ranking now. How long has this been around? It's absolutely awful.

Tadaima

I'm aware that the english site started working at least from 2012, but can be longer than that.

Wow. Can't believe I've evaded it for that long. It seriously needs an overhaul if they are as serious about international business as they claim to be.

Saying that, their Japanese site isn't great either.

L~A

Media Create

New3DS LL 31,452
PS4 24,441
Vita 14,999
Wii U 11,298
New3DS 4,715
3DS 2,813
PS3 1,671
3DS LL 697
Xbox One 52

Yakuza PS4: 103k
Yakuza PS3: 60k
Hyrule Warriors Legends: 54k

Pretty sure the English website for Media Create started earlier, but I couldn't really say when... A shame they stopped translating their weekly report. Maybe they realised only me and hiska-kun were checking them out? :p

First week.

[WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14} (¥7.980) - 69.090

I find strange tha fact that the game had some stock problems when the first day sell-through was reported to be 30%.
Also I was expecting the game selling around 50k first week. 60k seems possible, but I find it difficult to pass 70k.

Thanks!

Tadaima

What an awful week. Tremendous drop-off since the last, even for leggy titles like Splatoon and Minecraft. I guess it was preceded by a holiday Monday week, though.

Top Bottom