• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2011 (May 16 - May 22)

[Nintex]

zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, but then who pays for Greece and Portugal?!?
Sony's security breach compensation, Nintendo's illegal price fixing, Apple's smartphone 'monopoly' and Microsoft's well the EU sucks them dry for fun will cover that.

Oh and some shady stuff about Philips was suddenly uncovered in Poland and Mexico.

[Nintex]

Brazil said:
I was talking about an After-Bomba edition.
I believe the game was already out in the US/EU when that Iwata Asks hit the web. :D

zomgbbqftw said:
Nah, Philips is European, they wouldn't fine one of their own...
They fined the Netherlands just months ago.

[Nintex] said:
Sony's security breach compensation, Nintendo's illegal price fixing, Apple's smartphone 'monopoly' and Microsoft's well the EU sucks them dry for fun will cover that.

Oh and some shady stuff about Philips was suddenly uncovered in Poland and Mexico.

Nah, Philips is European, they wouldn't fine one of their own...

DiscoJer

They really should done a DOA Volleyball game.

I know the PSP version got panned, but it's almost literally the same game as the original on the Xbox (which got great reviews) with much worse graphics (plus some added stuff from the sequel)

On the 3DS, you likely could have approached the Xbox quality graphics, so it would have gotten great reviews. (Right?)

noobie

Banned
05. / 05. [PSP] Patapon 3 (SCE) {2011.04.28} - 11.458 / 95.341 (-12%)

Can somebody tell me what were LT of earlier Patapons..

Btw is Patapon really a successful game? i mean i dont think it did anything impressive.. then why keep making new version of it.. why not try a new IP.?

sometime Sony's decision of killing or continuing with some IP really bewilders me.. but definitely they are looking at a bigger picture.

Retailer Blog First Day round up:

Treasure Report: No reports of sales out, seemingly not happy sales. yet strangely next shipment on amazon isn't till the 31st. Looks like a casual game, so perhaps big electronic stores are having a party with it?
Pandora's tower - Below exceptions all around, 22% off on amazon(normally 19%)
Troy - Above expectations, sell outs are seen here and there, however most retailers are reporting small order placed (next shipment 29th on amazon)
Nobunga - Ever smaller shipments, but lots of sell outs(next shipment 29th on amazon)
Typing now

Chris1964 said:
azalyn reports extreme shortage of One Piece at wholesalers. It looks 3DS has found its first success.

I love you Chris, but he actually says the opposite: Depending on the wholesaler it can still be found normally, So Extreme Shortages are not expected.

However they are out of stock at Bandai's side, not expected to get in again till Middle/early June, and every retailer blog I see reports amazing sales(including sales of 3ds!), so your prediction is probably correct, of course we saw the same thing with DOA(admittedly smaller numbers), so it's a wait and see at this point. Get-2 Believes it to be 50,000 first day sales(not the most reliable estimator though)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I love you Chris, but he actually says the opposite: Depending on the wholesaler it can still be found normally, So Extreme Shortages are not expected.
Ahaha. Sometimes we see what we want to see.

Takao

Banned
Okay, I guess this means I shouldn't predict bombas or not so hot debuts anymore.

noobie said:
Can somebody tell me what were LT of earlier Patapons..

Btw is Patapon really a successful game? i mean i dont think it did anything impressive.. then why keep making new version of it.. why not try a new IP.?

sometime Sony's decision of killing or continuing with some IP really bewilders me.. but definitely they are looking at a bigger picture.

They usually do 100k or so in Japan. Patapon 3 will most likely end up being the most successful one in Japan.

As for continuing the series, it's simply one of the PSP's original IPs, and as the games reuse assets, they're really cheap to make. The first one was also a surprise hit in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised if its EU, and NA numbers are higher than the JP.

Dedication Through Light said:
And people thought my One Piece comments a week or two ago were silly...

?? Majority of people agreed with you,,, thoese who didn't just had no idea about what's popular now in terms of sales in Japan.

Seriously latest one piece movie(with a full release across the country)made around $60 millon dollars(before they averaged about $10 Mil), The manga is not only setting sales records but at the height of it's popularity, as I said in the last thread, if the didn't sale amazingly things would look horrible for the 3ds.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21. / 20. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) {2010.12.09}
22. / 21. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) {2009.10.01}
23. / 15. [PSP] Earth Defence Force 2 Portable (D3 Publisher) {2011.04.07}
24. / 00. [3DS] Animal Resort: Let's Make a Zoo (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.05.19}
25. / 25. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (w/ Remote Plus) (Nintendo) {2010.11.11}
26. / 17. [PSP] Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (Square Enix) {2011.03.24}
27. / 19. [3DS] Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo) {2011.04.14}
28. / 41. [PS3] Demon's Souls [PlayStation 3 the Best] (SCE) {2010.02.25}
29. / 30. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) {2009.12.03}
30. / 33. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki [Everyone's Recommendation Selection] (Hudson) {2011.01.20}
31. / 34. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.11.18}
32. / 24. [PSP] Amagami (EBKore+) (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011.03.31}
33. / 26. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5) {2011.02.26}
34. / 37. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [PSP the Best] (Konami) {2011.02.24}
35. / 23. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.10}
36. / 28. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) {2010.10.28}
37. / 29. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity (Sega) {2011.02.24}
38. / 35. [NDS] Magician's Quest: The Merchant’s Store of Sorcery (Konami) {2010.11.11}
39. / 36. [PS3] Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PlayStation 3 the Best] (Capcom) {2010.11.11}
40. / 40. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) {2008.01.31}
41. / 38. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25}
42. / 00. [PSP] Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco) {2011.05.19}
43. / 45. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) {2009.06.18}
44. / 32. [WII] Billy's Boot Camp: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! (Rocket Company) {2011.04.21}
45. / 44. [NDS] One Piece: Gigant Battle (Bandai Namco) {2010.09.09}
46. / 46. [WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles [Best Price!] (Capcom) {2011.04.21}
47. / 22. [PSP] Disgaea 2 Portable [PSP the Best] (Nippon Ichi Software) {2011.05.12}
48. / 31. [PSP] GachiTora! Abarenbou Kyoushi in High School (Spike) {2011.04.21}
49. / 07. [PSP] Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (Charity Edition) (Prototype) {2011.05.12}
50. / 39. [NDS] Detective Conan: Aoki Houseki no Rinbukyoku (Bandai Namco) {2011.04.21}

PSP - 19
WII - 10
NDS - 7
PS3 - 7
3DS - 6
360 - 1
PS2 - 0

SOFTWARE
Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------            
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year |        YTD |   Last YTD |            
|  ALL  |   462.000 |   430.000 |   739.831 | 17.573.000 | 22.151.730 |       

Akibas's Trip sellthrough is 86,03%, 3DS software for the week is 46k.

Takao

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
?? Majority of people agreed with you,,, thoese who didn't just had no idea about what's popular now in terms of sales in Japan.

Seriously latest one piece movie(with a full release across the country)made around $60 millon dollars(before they averaged about $10 Mil), The manga is not only setting sales records but at the height of it's popularity, as I said in the last thread, if the didn't sale amazingly things would look horrible for the 3ds.

I was really the only one doubting One Piece 3DS' sales potential, and I'm very much aware of the franchise's position in Japan, especially since it has replaced Dragon Ball (something that's obviously near to my heart) to Toei and Bandai.

I know each individual volume sells upwards of 2 million units in Japan. I know One Piece is the current highest rated shonen anime series. I know One Piece is a gigantic cash cow for merchandising. I know all of that, but I said what I said because I didn't feel a port on a platform with such a limited audience would do all that well.

One Piece is certainly on the up-swing, Gigant Battle on DS was the biggest since Grand Battle 3 PS2/GCN in 2003, but I wonder if it has even more milking room to replace Dragon Ball as Bandai cashcow?

It kinda fainted with PS2 but lets remember that in a sole year period (March 2001 - March 2002) it had these 4 games:
Code:
[PS1]	One Piece: Grand Battle			(Bandai)	{2001.03.15}	- 83.342	/ 452.336
[NGB]	One Piece: Yume no Lufy Kaizokudan Tanjou (Banpresto)	{2001.04.27}	- 91.567	/ 375.752
[PS1]	One Piece: Tobidase Kaizokudan!		(Bandai)	{2001.08.02}	- 101.003	/ 324.214
[PS1]	One Piece: Grand Battle 2		(Bandai)	{2002.03.20}	- 247.345	/ 545.506
All over 300k, one above 500k (franchise highest).

The trio of ports (One Piece, Zelda, Tales) look fairly strong for 3DS, hopefully it doesn't turn out like PSP early years ("hey those did well, lets port more and create less").

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
One Piece is certainly on the up-swing, Gigant Battle on DS was the biggest since Grand Battle 3 PS2/GCN in 2003, but I wonder if it has even more milking room to replace Dragon Ball as Bandai cashcow?

They would need to get One Piece out of JPN & get it onto non nintendo systems, worldwide, for the international top 5 focused publisher, Namco Bandai.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They would need to get One Piece out of JPN & get it onto non nintendo systems, worldwide, for the international top 5 focused publisher, Namco Bandai.
OP will never be as big as DBZ is in the west - it doesnt matter on which plattform they release their games. But a CC2 developed OP Game in HD would be glorious *drool*

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Chris1964 said:
That guy from geimin bought Media Create Game Hakusho already (numbers through 2 January).

25th anniversary red Wii: 97.442
Torne: 784.000
Move: 170.000
Kinect: 90.000

And also bought the Famitsu one (Numbers through 26 December). It's a matter of days before top 1000 is posted.

Torne: 513.000
Move: 132.000
Kinect: 71.000

Media Create
779. [GBA] Pokemon Emerald (Pokemon Co.) {2004.09.16} - 7.724 / 1.916.505

Famitsu has Emerald at #388

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Estimates from azalyn

- [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) {2011.05.26} - 70.000
- 3DS hardware movement is expected?
- [WII] Pandora's Tower: Until I Return to Your Side (Nintendo) {2011.05.26} - 35.000

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
Estimates from azalyn
- [WII] Pandora's Tower: Until I Return to Your Side (Nintendo) {2011.05.26} - 35.000

So, amongst other Nintendo published Wii games, it beat:
- FlingSmash
- Zangeki no Reginleiv
- NHK Quiz
- S&P 2
- Punch-Out
- EO2
- Takt of Magic (god I hate this title, it sounds so half-translated)
- Another Code R
- Disaster
- Captain Rainbow
- EO1
List not exhaustive

Not that 35k is OMGAMAZING, but could be much much worse.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chris1964 said:
Estimates from azalyn

- [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) {2011.05.26} - 70.000
- 3DS hardware movement is expected?

Man, Nintendo should stop pumping money into Wii games that aren't going to sell, and get back to making Wii ____ games. :/

Alrus

RurouniZel said:
Man, Nintendo should stop pumping money into Wii games that aren't going to sell, and get back to making Wii ____ games. :/

I doubt Pandora Tower cost them a lot of money... And it was outsourced, so it didn't really take up first party dev time. Wii Play: Motion is coming soon by the way (I have no idea how it'll do. Wii Party sold extremely well while I thought it was gonna be a lower Wii____ title in term of sales).

onken

Stumpokapow said:
So, amongst other Nintendo published Wii games, it beat:
- FlingSmash
- Zangeki no Reginleiv
- NHK Quiz
- S&P 2
- Punch-Out
- EO2
- Takt of Magic (god I hate this title, it sounds so half-translated)
- Another Code R
- Disaster
- Captain Rainbow
- EO1
List not exhaustive
Wow now that is depressing.

Not that 35k is OMGAMAZING,

You can say that again.

RurouniZel said:

I think Nintendo is suffer from identity crisis and lack of compelling games for videogame enthusiasts, need new IPS or at least they need to acquire more award winning studios...of course, in terms of creativity versus sales. Im still surprised they didnt bring out a Wii Dance/Wii Sing/Wii Life game though

RurouniZel

I think Nintendo is suffer from identity crisis and lack of compelling games for videogame enthusiasts, need new IPS or at least they need to acquire more award winning studios...of course, in terms of creativity versus sales. Im still surprised they didnt bring out a Wii Dance/Wii Sing/Wii Life game though

Nintendo was doing their own thing and printing money. Then they stupidly started listening to the complaints of the gaming press (esp. in the west) and 3rd parties and went all conservative again, making nothing but their core franchises like Mario and Zelda, and making expensive core games like Last Story and Pandora's Tower. It's not that I don't want to play those games, mind, but the Wii was doing FAR better when they were ignoring everyone else. :-/

RurouniZel said:
Nintendo was doing their own thing and printing money. Then they stupidly started listening to the complaints of the gaming press (esp. in the west) and 3rd parties and went all conservative again, making nothing but their core franchises like Mario and Zelda, and making expensive core games like Last Story and Pandora's Tower. It's not that I don't want to play those games, mind, but the Wii was doing FAR better when they were ignoring everyone else. :-/

Are you a gamer or are you a stock owner? Because if you're a gamer, there's absolutely no reason why you should complain. Nintendo are making a lot of money as is. You're saying they shouldn't branch out and try new things? It's not always about sales.

Pandora's Tower doesn't look that expensive anyway, especially compared to Xenoblade or TLS. 35k would be better than I thought.

Bel Marduk said:
Are you a gamer or are you a stock owner?

This is a sales-age thread, generally we talk about ways to maximize sales.

Of note: Tsutaya's(major cd/book/game store) game division staffer reports times 1.6 3ds sales compared to last week, and all the retailers are reporting 3ds actually selling, so could we see a rebound back to 1st place this week?

RurouniZel said:

Really?
You really think Nintendo gives a damn what the gaming press thinks?
They aren't going "conservative" because of the gaming press. They're changing their approach again because the market they fostered with the Wii and WiiSports is becoming crowded.

NeonZ

RurouniZel said:

I think that's a really short sighted view. The Wii initially supported both markets, but then Nintendo had more than one year of lackluster software for both sides - with nothing for the traditional gaming side and lackluster sales for their expanded audience products, with Animal Crossing and Wii Music. The Wii sales were still high during and after that time, but I think that was the point where the "Wii" really got the image of a console that just wasn't for "gamers" and a lot of the marketing started falling there.

Yes, WiiMusic and Animal Crossing still sold a lot comparatively, and the hardware was still selling well, but it was pretty clear that those new games failed to drive any sales, unlike WiiSports and WiiFit. They can't just make new hits out of nowhere. A game like NSMBWii ended up performing better than WiiSports Resort and continuing to make more Wii ___ titles probably would most likely result in worse and worse results, especially now when they have competition there.

The Wii fell quickly due to Nintendo failing to provide consistent software support, and also due to the nature of the hits which made the Wii famous, not due to a change of focus.

RurouniZel

Bel Marduk said:
Are you a gamer or are you a stock owner? Because if you're a gamer, there's absolutely no reason why you should complain. Nintendo are making a lot of money as is. You're saying they shouldn't branch out and try new things? It's not always about sales.

Pandora's Tower doesn't look that expensive anyway, especially compared to Xenoblade or TLS. 35k would be better than I thought.

I wish I knew how to do stocks. I've been too afraid to try. :p No, it's just that as a gamer I was very excited about all the new things Nintendo was trying with Wii Sports, Play, Fit, Music etc., and was happy others were enjoying them as well. Was kind of sad to see them let up on that, and it was around then that their sales started to slow. I'm worried that it's kind of spooked them and they're gonna back off now. :/

NeonZ said:
I think that's a really short sighted view. The Wii initially supported both markets, but then Nintendo had more than one year of lackluster software for both sides - with nothing for the traditional gaming side and lackluster sales for their expanded audience products, with Animal Crossing and Wii Music. The Wii sales were still high during and after that time, but I think that was the point where the "Wii" really got the image of a console that just wasn't for "gamers" and a lot of the marketing started falling there.

Yes, WiiMusic and Animal Crossing still sold a lot comparatively, and the hardware was still selling well, but it was pretty clear that those new games failed to drive any sales, unlike WiiSports and WiiFit. They can't just make new hits out of nowhere. A game like NSMBWii ended up performing better than WiiSports Resort and continuing to make more Wii ___ titles probably would most likely result in worse and worse results.

I suppose you're right. I guess I just wanted more Wii _____ stuff, and while I like their core offerings as well, am disappointed that they've seemed to really back off that initiative.

RurouniZel said:
I wish I knew how to do stocks. I've been too afraid to try. :p No, it's just that as a gamer I was very excited about all the new things Nintendo was trying with Wii Sports, Play, Fit, Music etc., and was happy others were enjoying them as well. Was kind of sad to see them let up on that, and it was around then that their sales started to slow. I'm worried that it's kind of spooked them and they're gonna back off now. :/

I suppose you're right. I guess I just wanted more Wii _____ stuff, and while I like their core offerings as well, am disappointed that they've seemed to really back off that initiative.

Eh...I don't think they've really "backed off". Remember the Wii ___ titles are evergreen so they don't need to pull multiple ones out all the time.

Pandora's Tower or whatever is definitely not their compromise for a "lack" of Wii ___ titles.

DR2K

Banned
I can't believe DOA bombed considering how well it does on Xbox in Japan. Then again, Nintendo really needs to do something to revitalize 3DS worldwide.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This is a sales-age thread, generally we talk about ways to maximize sales.

Of note: Tsutaya's(major cd/book/game store) game division staffer reports times 1.6 3ds sales compared to last week, and all the retailers are reporting 3ds actually selling, so could we see a rebound back to 1st place this week?
Probably not 1st, but back up past 20k should be nice to see.

Alrus

NeonZ said:
. A game like NSMBWii ended up performing better than WiiSports Resort and continuing to make more Wii ___ titles probably would most likely result in worse and worse results, especially now when they have competition there.

If you're only talking about Japan yeah, but worldwide? Not even close (27m+ for WiiSportsR and 21m+ for nsmbwii).

Also since my post seems to have been ignored, I'll repeat the next Wii ____ game is coming soon, and while I'm sure it won't sell nearly as well as WSR, it can still do decently.

Also most of the core game they released and that didn't sell (or did) where done by studios that have nothing to do with the Wii ____ games, so they're not the cause of the "slowdown" of Wii ____ releases.

Top Bottom