• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Reading through the FF7 stuff I should have made a tangible bet with the guy I was talking to (in think in here) on FF7 not coming out in it's entirity for at least a decade. It's was a sure thing money in the bank.

Mory Dunz

So given the Enterbrain pres, when do people here expect Switch to have enough stock to meet demand?

ib4 someone says it already has.

urfe

All the Switch shortages here in Japan are a lot more fun now that I have one.

Last two times I went to Kinshicho Yodobashi on a Friday night, they had stock. Coincidence? Maybe.

Passose

Banned
All the Switch shortages here in Japan are a lot more fun now that I have one.

Last two times I went to Kinshicho Yodobashi on a Friday night, they had stock. Coincidence? Maybe.
why didn't you buy all of them and sell them on ebay :p?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 26,997 copies through the eShop in its debut weekend (source: JapaneseNintendo). It's the only known Famitsu digital sales number for April so far, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the rest :p

zeromcd73

A new interview with the CEO of Capcom

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/173037

General points (talks about current title/old IP/Mobile/esports/Switch):

• RE7/MHXX underperformed
  • Capcom were too cautious in sending retail stores units of RE7 at first causing the title to have problems growing
  • Some users were encountering difficulties with the download version of MHXX which he believes turned off other customers from buying the game
  • Users are happy with the quality of both RE7/MHXX and sales have been good for the current fiscal quarter
  • Talks about the the strengths of selling games and other services via digital stores like PSN
  • Capcom categories the strengths of these digital stores for them into two seperate categories; moving old titles to current gen machines and selling them digitally, and data on users which can be used to strengthen their marketing department sincelots of stats like how many people are playing the game or how many people reach the ending
  • Good year for the traditional video game industry with additional shipments of PSVR, Nintendo Switch, and Project Scorpio all out this year
  • Uses his own primary school daughter as an example of a child who never wanted a home console before but wants a Switch
  • The important thing regarding Switch for software makers is what they users want
  • Cites the DS/Wii as examples of hardware with explosive hardware sales that at the start of their cycles did well thanks to Nintendo showing others how to make games fitting of the hardware, while third parties originally struggled on these platforms and didn't sell very well
  • Capcom aims to develop many different things for different hardware and is currently researching
  • In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May
  • Asked about resurrecting old I.P by the interviewer after talking about the recent announcement of Capcom vs Marvel
  • Capcom wants to resurrect old I.P, but doing so makes many problems crop up
  • One of these problems is that they don't have enough people
  • The lack of people is due to the fast advancement of tech making every title require more people than ever
  • Also the development of their current I.P and new I.P means they have even less time to bring back old titles
  • In regards to their lack of success in the mobile game sector, he notes that their titles are interesting and people are playing them
  • They are not making profits due to their lack of in app purchases
  • Capcom hopes to partner with other businesses who have had success in the mobile sector in order to cover for their weaknesses in the mobile sector and make more money
  • Talks about E-sports around the world and how it is producing pro gamers
  • Notes their own companies Street Fighter 5
  • Notes the strict laws in Japan that make giving large pools of prize money at e-sporting events not possible

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Thanks for the translation zero...still reading, but...

In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May

lol
Some users were encountering difficulties with the download version of MHXX which he believes turned off other customers from buying the game
Suuuure...that was the issue.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Capcom were too cautious in sending retail stores units of RE7 at first causing the title to have problems growing

What he meant to say was that retailers weren't willing to follow Capcom's favorite tactic and flood their selves with RE7 copies since they didn't have confidence on it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yup. The starved for game argument is literally a bad argument when we see so much Wii U game flopped even when they come out during drought session lol.
True, the majority of people wont buy a game just to buy a game. It would be nice if people were hungry for the games though :)

Crawl to 200k

Debut at 100k

Someone who understands nothing about sales.

😂😂😂😂
Whats wrong about that prediction? And what is your prediction?

I wonder if shipping stock from Europe would be cost-effective at all as there's plenty stock here from what I've heard/seen.
Probably not, so that's why they're not doing it.

There isn't "plenty of stock" in europe.

Edit: And lol at Capcom . They really couldn't have made a more undesirable yet expensive testgame if they tried.

Mpl90

I suppose Capcom just wants to see how much USFII will sell compared to their own expectations, and I believe their expectations aren't insane in this case (the game's promotional efforts haven't been that big to begin with, that's going to be factored in the expectations). Personally, I think the game's going to do fine, especially in the West, because Switch users are quite hungry for games at the current state (it could become an hashtag in the next future). Still, if the console keeps on selling & the software environment is healthy, they can't avoid to support it...as others would say, reality will brute force them (uh, #bruteforce sounds good as well :p ).

noshten

I suppose Capcom just wants to see how much USFII will sell compared to their own expectations, and I believe their expectations aren't insane in this case (the game's promotional efforts haven't been that big to begin with, that's going to be factored in the expectations). Personally, I think the game's going to do fine, especially in the West, because Switch users are quite hungry for games at the current state (it could become an hashtag in the next future). Still, if the console keeps on selling & the software environment is healthy, they can't avoid to support it...as others would say, reality will brute force them (uh, #bruteforce sounds good as well :p ).

There is a reason why it's only doing well in France, if Capcom wanted this game to sell well at launch they should have had similar pricing in all regions.
I do expect it to do well but only due to nostalgia and 2 player local on the go but it's severally limited by not being between $20-30.

But it's not doing well just on Amazon.fr, though. It was pretty high on Amazon.com as well before going sold out, now it's rising again since availability issues were solved. It's high on Amazon.de as well (yeah, it happened several times that a game at around 30ths on Amazon.de could end up well into the top 10 in weekly German charts).

We are talking about two different situations, yes I think it will do as well as Bomberman R because of nostalgia and local multiplayer but what I'm arguing is that it could have done a lot better than that at launch. To me SF2 is a game that basically I think a lot of 20-40 y/o have nostalgia about and had it been cheaper I could have seen it really blow up.

Mpl90

There is a reason why it's only doing well in France, if Capcom wanted this game to sell well at launch they should have had similar pricing in all regions.
I do expect it to do well but only due to nostalgia and 2 player local on the go but it's severally limited by not being between $20-30.

But it's not doing well just on Amazon.fr, though. It was pretty high on Amazon.com as well before going sold out, now it's rising again since availability issues were solved. It's high on Amazon.de as well (yeah, it happened several times that a game at around 30ths on Amazon.de could end up well into the top 10 in weekly German charts).

A new interview with the CEO of Capcom

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/173037

General points (talks about current title/old IP/Mobile/esports/Switch):

• [*]The important thing regarding Switch for software makers is what they users want
  • Cites the DS/Wii as examples of hardware with explosive hardware sales that at the start of their cycles did well thanks to Nintendo showing others how to make games fitting of the hardware, while third parties originally struggled on these platforms and didn't sell very well

This is actually the more worrying line. SW is not being seen as another platform to port PS4/XB1 games to atm. Perhaps its the power gap but even then the sentence identifies userbase. Think its silly or premature.

Dragons Dogma was just announced for PS4/XB1 yet no SW. Will be interesting to see how the announcements at E3 will be.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE JUNE 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from May 29 to Jun 25):

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 100.000
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 28.000
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 155.000

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 123.456
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 34.567
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 123.456

Kanann

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 89.000
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 35.000
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 180.000

L~A

Second season is dope right now.

Only sold 785 units though, but it did go from #81 to #45.

Wonder how the budget re-release of Spike-Chunsoft's game is going to do. Would be amusing if it ended up outselling KT's adventure game.

13ruce

Banned
Kinda hope Arms will do well, just like Splatoon it has alot of creativity and it's good to see Nintendo's "magic/charm" be used for new IP,s

I don't expect Splatoon sales but still pretty good sales.

My prediction for Arms in Japan is 175k units in 10 days.

DrWong

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 113K
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 37K
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 167K

And quoting myself from the other thread:

Reading this it's more worrying about Capcom than the Switch.

"Flagship titles undeperformed but hey, we sold a few units this quarter."
"Mobile market, what is this?"
"Lack of ressources for risky new ip"
"Same for revival of old ip"
"We don't know how/what to develop for a successful platform"
"My daughter is named Luigi"

noshten

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 120K
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 65K
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 166K

sinonobu

Banned

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 87,450
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 36,456
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 187,500

Lexxism

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 75,000
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 30,000
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 130,000

Dystify

Kinda hope Arms will do well, just like Splatoon it has alot of creativity and it's good to see Nintendo's "magic/charm" be used for new IP,s

I don't expect Splatoon sales but still pretty good sales.

My prediction for Arms in Japan is 175k units in 10 days.

It may do well but it won't be anywhere near Splatoon. Another sign of this is their Twitter account for ARMS, that, despite putting out new interesting content every day, is still only hovering around 20k followers right now. The Splatoon Twitter in comparison to that went up MUCH faster back in 2015. (It's now sitting at nearly 600k followers.)

Calm Mind

Better translation
The conclusion from the English bit in the OP is incorrect.

The original:
カプコンとしては、どの機種に対してもゲームを提供できる体制を目指し、基礎研究を進めている。スイッチについても、5月に『ウルトラストリートファイターⅡ』を発売するので、状況を見ながら対応を考えていく。

This is literally translated to:
As Capcom, we aim to bring games to all platforms, and continue our research.
As for the Switch, in May we will release USF2 and we will plan our support while looking at the situation [of the platform].

So basically this is a quick plug for their next release in the pipeline, while giving the general "we look into it"-response any company gives. The word "sales" doesn't come up once.

Top Bottom