• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2014 (May 26 - Jun 01)

RiggyRob

I've always wondered, why do Japanese gamers get a pass for only playing Japanese games? It would sound incredibly weird if an American said they only played American games, or someone in Europe saying they only play European games, why do Japanese gamers get to only play Japanese games?

A combination of Japan's insular culture and Japan being the birthplace of the modern gaming era. However, GTAV proves that there are certain games that Japanese players are willing to buy.

L Thammy

I've always wondered, why do Japanese gamers get a pass for only playing Japanese games? It would sound incredibly weird if an American said they only played American games, or someone in Europe saying they only play European games, why do Japanese gamers get to only play Japanese games?

GTA5 is over 700K, isn't it? I don't think they're necessarily opposed to it.

Kikujiro

RIP Japan console gaming, I'm glad I was able to experience your golden years. There's no coming back from here, Japan will become more and more a handhelds market only. And by handhelds I mean smartphones.

Caramello

It's also the 8th entry in the series though. Wouldn't most of their target audience be fairly aware that it's a high quality series?

Or do you mean word of mouth as in "Oh yeah this does exist!"?

Probably just general chat about the game. Hearing you peers talk about a game positively will make you want to buy it more than advertising will generally. The fact that people know it's a quality franchise will make the decision easier.

mclem

I think some people have the wrong idea here .

It's not ' Japanese gamers do not care about Consoles in general .

It's ' Japanese gamers do not care about a console that has nothing to play that interests them .

Which, right now, is all of them.

Jacobi

Banned
RIP Japan console gaming, I'm glad I was able to experience your golden years. There's no coming back from here, Japan will become more and more a handhelds market only. And by handhelds I mean smartphones.

Well it will become pretty isolated too, Japanese companies solely developing for Japan... I hope there will be a few companies which still will develop for western markets...

orioto

Good Art™
I think some people have the wrong idea here .

It's not ' Japanese gamers do not care about Consoles in general .

It's ' Japanese gamers do not care about a console that has nothing to play that interests them .

It's not that simple. It's not only the games.

Look at all the big sucess in japan in the last years. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter... Japan has an idea of gaming that is focused on community and sharing now, and that means playing in group, with people from your social background, your job, your school.. Everyone of those success have this in common. A group of people decide to play the game together, and an other etc..

Also Japan won't buy an expensive console. Everything in the last decade showed that, even the 3ds launch debacle, remember.

Gaming has became a nomad, community thing in Japan. That is deep and cultural.

The best chance Sony and Nintendo would have to strike again, would be to work on cheap super accessible systems that focus entirely on connectivity, with new ips trying to create community trends. I'm not sure why it's not 80% of Japan effort right now.

What was the PS3 library like at the 15th week in Japan?
- Genji: Days of the Blade
- Miyazato San Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
- Resistance: Fall of Man
- Ridge Racer 7
- Mahjong Fight Club: Zenkoku Taisenban
- Mahjong Taikai IV
- MotorStorm
- Armored Core 4
- Need for Speed Carbon
- Railfan
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Formula One Championship Edition
- NBA 07
- Enchanted Arms
- Virtua Fighter 5

L~A

Those numbers are pretty terrible, except Mario Kart 8 and Youkai Watch.

Meanwhile, at Level-5....

tumblr_m6ypdvhBhK1qf16we.gif

Ah, right.

MK8 doing 325,000 - 350,000 in Japan in 4 days (I fear pure digital sales haven't been that high) means it did 850,000 - 875,000 across NA and EU in 3 days. And this is based on Nintendo's estimates which, in the past, they've even tended to be conservative...wondering what's going on here in the West, number-wise.

they said MORE THAN 1.2 million so not sure if they were conservative or did not include eShop

I remember they came out and said what animal crossing new leaf did on eShop so if that number were anything impressive they might have shared it

they still have brag time during e3

Asd202

they said MORE THAN 1.2 million so not sure if they were conservative or did not include eShop

I remember they came out and said what animal crossing new leaf did on eShop so if that number were anything impressive they might have shared it

they still have brag time during e3

More than 1.2 million means it somwhere between 1.21-1.29. Probably :).

It's not that simple. It's not only the games.

Look at all the big sucess in japan in the last years. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter... Japan has an idea of gaming that is focused on community and sharing now, and that means playing in group, with people from your social background, your job, your school.. Everyone of those success have this in common. A group of people decide to play the game together, and an other etc..

Also Japan won't buy an expensive console. Everything in the last decade showed that, even the 3ds launch debacle, remember.

Gaming has became a nomad, community thing in Japan. That is deep and cultural.

The best chance Sony and Nintendo would have to strike again, would be to work on cheap super accessible systems that focus entirely on connectivity, with new ips trying to create community trends. I'm not sure why it's not 80% of Japan effort right now.

Good point.

Arkam

All other systems sales drop WoW ans WiiU sales double. Good week for nintendo. Mario Kart is pretty damn amazing so it makes sense.

prag16

Banned
2 weeks more at most IMO...and I wouldn't be that shocked to see it below 10k next week.

Come on now, seriously? Next week?

It's also the 8th entry in the series though. Wouldn't most of their target audience be fairly aware that it's a high quality series?

Or do you mean word of mouth as in "Oh yeah this does exist!"?

Word of mouth as in, "This is drastically better than the very disappointing Mario Kart Wii in every conceivable way." Which I believe to be the case. Though obviously most people didn't find MK Wii very disappointing. So we'll see.

GTA5 is over 700K, isn't it? I don't think they're necessarily opposed to it.

Yeah I get GTA is an extreme outlier, but just look at this week's list. Literally one game out of twenty was made by a developer outside Japan. There are some Ubisoft games that alone have 20 different countries working on it! Ok maybe an exaggeration (only slightly), but you get my point. For being the "birthplace of modern gaming era" (I agree), they sure have rather narrow gaming tastes.

Xater

Sony is not going to do that. The have success in the west and that is still more important than Japan. The west just needs online and good game sand we are happy. In that sense the west is pretty easy to cater to.

- Genji: Days of the Blade
- Miyazato San Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
- Resistance: Fall of Man
- Ridge Racer 7
- Mahjong Fight Club: Zenkoku Taisenban
- Mahjong Taikai IV
- MotorStorm
- Armored Core 4
- Need for Speed Carbon
- Railfan
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Formula One Championship Edition
- NBA 07
- Enchanted Arms
- Virtua Fighter 5

PS4 has no Ridge Racer yet? or Mahjong?

random25

BTW, the collapse of the OG 3DS should really concern Nintendo. They need a new revision, and now.

Well they are really pushing the XL more given the number of LEs that version is getting recently.

Right now probably they are betting more on 3DS software sales.

sense

Yeah I get GTA is an extreme outlier, but just look at this week's list. Literally one game out of twenty was made by a developer outside Japan. There are some Ubisoft games that alone have 20 different countries working on it! Ok maybe an exaggeration (only slightly), but you get my point. For being the "birthplace of modern gaming era" (I agree), they sure have rather narrow gaming tastes.

Jack Bauer is looking for you :p

Will the PS3 ever reach the 100 million point (WW) at this rate? Of course this is just Japan but if you look at the decline it is much much worse than the PS2 or PSP.

it hasn't reached the 150-199 price points yet which brings it to impulse buy for a lot of people that missed out this generation or people that just had a wii.

MK8 sales aside I suppose the other positive spin for Nintendo is that those couple extra Wii U buyers loaded up on software this week. Anyone remember the last time the Wii U had 4 games in the top 20?
It's bundled software. They're not really loading up on those titles, they're simply buying the SKU that offers more value.
It's why none of them besides Mario Kart appear in the Media Create chart.

Darksheik

Very happy for MK8, the game deserves it.
WiiU bump is a bit under expectations.
Ps4 incredibly low. I would never had expected THIS low.

Nicktendo86

Really sad the wiiu bump was so small, I still have no idea why they didn't do a mk8 bundle in Japan. Silver lining is at least the game got some good sales numbers

Real story for me, as I have not been keeping up with Japanese figures for ages, is how poor ps4 is performing and consoles in general. I knew people were saying the console market in Japan is dead, I didn't realise THIS dead. Shocking.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
BTW, the collapse of the OG 3DS should really concern Nintendo. They need a new revision, and now.

I think it could be coming soon.
A 40% drop YOY, no revision released in the last...two years, almost (3DS XL launched on July 28th in Japan, no 2DS so far)...does that remember you anything?

That's right, we're witnessing a very, veeeery similar scenario to when DS Lite sales started going waaay down compared to 2007 and when, later in 2008, Nintendo launched the DSi. The main difference is that there's no PSP post-MHP2nd around, this time. Numbers are different, but % wise the phenomenon is similar.

I think that a possible release date will be around the end of the Recommendation Software campaign (which will last for this Summer)...or maybe they'll decide to launch it around Smash Bros. (which, IMHO, will be released near/at Obon).

orioto

Good Art™
Sony is not going to do that. The have success in the west and that is still more important than Japan. The west just needs online and good game sand we are happy. In that sense the west is pretty easy to cater to.

They have the PS4 for that, but their portable system should be focused on that. It's not selling in the west anyway. Their portable system should be build around japan needs.

And that japan logic can also work in the west. I mean Animal Crossing or Pokemon are also huge hits in the west.

mclem

I'm not sure it's a conscious thing - I think there's a lot of Westerners who only play Western games, because those are the games that appeal to them.

Japanese games do have a distinct feel in many cases, and I do fear that that's something we may lose in the coming years.

L Thammy

They also have a ton of local gaming output designed specifically for their tastes. Look at that same list and ask yourself how much of it could top the charts in the West.

Xater

They have the PS4 for that, but their portable system should be focused on that. It's not selling in the west anyway. Their portable system should be build around japan needs.

And that japan logic can also work in the west. I mean Animal Crossing or Pokemon are also huge hits in the west.

Well that is going with the assumption that Sony will do another portable system which I doubt. Also the Japan strategy only works if it also has the online option.

Jack Bauer is looking for you :p

He is too busy in London to ever find me!!!!

Japanese games do have a distinct feel in many cases, and I do fear that that's something we may lose in the coming years.

This I totally agree with, and it makes me sad. I definitely feel like my gaming has been missing something since the PS2 and before era, and it is probably all the Japanese games that I haven't been playing. I should really just get a handheld...

I think it could be coming soon.
A 40% drop YOY, no revision released in the last...two years, almost (3DS XL launched on July 28th in Japan, no 2DS so far)...does that remember you anything?

That's right, we're witnessing a very, veeeery similar scenario to when DS Lite sales started going waaay down compared to 2007 and when, later in 2008, Nintendo launched the DSi. The main difference is that there's no PSP post-MHP2nd around, this time. Numbers are different, but % wise the phenomenon is similar.

I think that a possible release date will be around the end of the Recommendation Software campaign (which will last for this Summer)...or maybe they'll decide to launch it around Smash Bros. (which, IMHO, will be released near/at Obon).

What improvements will it have that would make people interested in upgrading from 3DS OG to new model that aren't already in XL ?

random25

Really sad the wiiu bump was so small, I still have no idea why they didn't do a mk8 bundle in Japan. Silver lining is at least the game got some good sales numbers

Probably trying to push the older bundles more. I think at some point this year they'll bundle MK8 when the older bundles slowly get sold.

antibolo

Banned

First of all that's not how people see video games, Western games in general are all treated as a single "culture". When taken that into account, there is a lot of people in the West who only play Western games and never play Japanese games.

I don't check NPD charts but I assume that there must not be a lot of Japanese games in there.

It goes both ways, really. Japanese games are now a niche outside Japan, just as non-Japanese games are a niche in Japan.

jakncoke

Banned
What was the PS3 library like at the 15th week in Japan?

Looking at what garaph has it seems

week 1:

Ridge Racer 7
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight
Resistance: Fall of Man
Genji: Days of the Blade
Miyazato San Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club

week 2:

Mahjong Fight Club: Zenkoku Taisenban

week 3:

Mahjong Taikai IV

week 6:

Motorstorm

week 7:

Armored Core 4
Need for Speed: Carbon
Sonic the Hedgehog
Railfan

Week 8:

Formula One Championship Edition

Week 10:

NBA 07

Week 12:

Enchanted Arms

Week 14:

Virtua Fighter 5

It has a Mahjong game but it's a crappy one. I wish it had a good one because I would buy it...
who makes the good ones?

Ridge Racer is dead, to be honest.
Well it was always a launch window title for everything I am just shocked it was not a thing this time

No Ridge Racer but there's a download-only mahjong game called Tottemo E Mahjong Plus by Arc System Works.
http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/e-mahjong/plus/

is that the bad one?

Paracelsus

They should if they want to mean something in Japan again.

What they should do is focus on creating a Kantai Collection smash hit, drm-exclusive to Sony smartphones. That's how you are going to mean something in Japan. Nintendo lives because it owns what's arguably the last portable third party KA left and a few strong first party ones. Sony lost the former and will never really be able to make the latter.

Top Bottom