• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So apparently MH World isn't even announced for Japan?
Looked like a weird mix of trying to appeal to the west all while not going far enough.

I'm sure its coming to Japan. Just because there hasn't been an announcement 10 minutes after unveiling doesn't mean anything.

Vinnk

I am happy PS4 fans can have their Monster Hunter. Looks like it has gameplay people in the West will like. I hope it stands out enough to do well.

I would like to think that the Media Create threads will settle down now. But my guess is now the endless speculation on where the next mainline HM game will be (MH5) will now begin. Unless Capcom pull a surprise reveal in the Nintendo Direct (kind of happened like that for MH4, revealed shortly after TriG). But short of that I fear we are just getting started. Prove me wrong guys!

Vinnk

Waiting for Japanese name for MH World

Monster Hunter USA

[The US version of Super Mario 2 was released as Super Mario USA in Japan, despite the game being made in Japan, by Japanese devs and releasing in many more countries than the US]

Best a serious prediction is it will be called "Monster Hunter World".

Though if the Japanese title turns out to be "Monster Hunter 5" then we are gonna see some meltdowns.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PC version of MHW is a potential dark horse depending on how people take to the co-op. Shame it's a little delayed.

Vinnk

Should do OK in Japan. It's a high profile brand. But when even FFXV struggles to hit 1 mil I don't know if I can say "it will easily break 1 mil". I think we will know more after TGS (assuming there is anything to show by then).

So, let's say to does 1.5 mil in Japan (does anyone predict it will do more?). To hit the expectations of a Monster Hunter game it will need to do an additional 2 mil worldwide. That's assuming that MHW costs the same to make as a handheld title, which it almost assuredly does not.

Let's predict! Do you think those numbers are possible?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Should do OK in Japan. It's a high profile brand. But when even FFXV struggles to hit 1 mil I don't know if I can say "it will easily break 1 mil". I think we will know more after TGS (assuming there is anything to show by then).

So, let's say to does 1.5 mil in Japan (does anyone predict it will do more?). To hit the expectations of a Monster Hunter game it will need to do an additional 2 mil worldwide. That's assuming that MHW costs the same to make as a handheld title, which it almost assuredly does not.

I can't see it getting close to 1.5M in Japan unless they really do call it 5 and push the hell out of it.

I don't see this approaching MH 4 worldwide sales.

Sandfox

Monster Hunter 4 and 4 Ultimate each sold 4.1 million WW so Capcom's expectations would be higher than that.

Oregano

PC will add a big chunk of that alone.

But my initial feeling of "Capcom could save time, money and effort by just making MH5 on Switch/PS4/PC" seem a reinforced now.

D.Lo

Monster Hunter America

14838_front.jpg
Cross out Mario and add MH!

Vinnk

I can't see it getting close to 1.5M in Japan unless they really do call it 5 and push the hell out of it.

I don't see this approaching MH 4 worldwide sales.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add worldwide sales to the 3DS titles. So another million (less?).

So assuming again a high guess of 1.5 mil for Japan, they would need to see an additional 3.5 million-ish outside of Japan. Likely?

Mory Dunz

I am happy PS4 fans can have their Monster Hunter. Looks like it has gameplay people in the West will like. I hope it stands out enough to do well.

I would like to think that the Media Create threads will settle down now. But my guess is now the endless speculation on where the next mainline HM game will be (MH5) will now begin. Unless Capcom pull a surprise reveal in the Nintendo Direct (kind of happened like that for MH4, revealed shortly after TriG). But short of that I fear we are just getting started. Prove me wrong guys!

ha

xequalsy

But my initial feeling of "Capcom could save time, money and effort by just making MH5 on Switch/PS4/PC" seem a reinforced now.

Actually, I wonder how well it will do on PC (though it's coming later). There's always a community on PC for games like MH. Though the MH-likes didn't seem to sell particularly well on steam:

Toukiden: Kiwami - 30,597 ± 5,248
Toukiden 2 - 24,477 ± 4,694

EDIT:
God Eater seems to have done a bit better:

God Eater 2 - 147,336 ± 11,515

Busaiku

1.5 million in Japan is impossible.

Laplasakos

It doesn't look like a spin off at all. PR says it's the next game in the franchise. I guess they didn't want to name it MH5 in order to not confuse first comers to the franchise. This is basically MH5 in all except the name.

Also, seriously people believe this will not be released in Japan?

tri did about 1 million on wii.

Yeah this whole game sorta feels like a waste of resources/time for Capcom instead of just going the route you mentioned. This game doesn't seem like it will be different enough for western fans to suddenly embrace, but "dumbed" down enough to piss of the western MH fanbase. I can't see Japan latching onto this game too strongly, I mean they announced a damn MH at a western conference says enough that they know it's not going to be perceived well there.

Cookie18

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't this still line up with that 4chan rumour? So Switch is likely to get another more traditional MH after XX?

Top Bottom