• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

Oregano

Looks like the NS version of the game is gonna have a rough road. I think I should pre-order a copy on Amazon Japan...just in case.

It's important to remember that most of those preorders are from before the game was delayed but yeah, not sure if Switch version not showing up yet is cause for concern.

noshten

With the usual caveats applying, ARMS ended up with more orders on comgnet than original Splatoon.

Hopefully this translate towards a great launch. The comg points surpassing Splatoon launch points, coupled with more Switch stock, the Amazon promotion and the marketing Nintendo had concentrated around the title - bodes well for the Arms Launch.

The launch date and game schedule has allowed Nintendo to push titles during the slower period of the year without incurring high marketing costs. Looking at Arms's position in France, US & Japan it should have a very good launch in the three strongest Nintendo markets. Considering what other games are launching in June I can see it topping the NPD as a single SKU.
We shall see if the updates keep the userbase active and generate more interest in new Switch buyers and existing owners. The updates will also present themselves as an easy way to continue marketing the game for a few months via socialmedia/streaming channels if it remains relevant for that long. Much like Splatoon there might be some peaks in interest if there is a substancial upgraded planned down the road.

[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 693
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 388
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 355

Splatoon 2 is finally within 50 points of the combined DQXI total on COMG, should surpass 700 pts in the next few days. That's a pretty impressive result considering the size of the userbase currently - I'm guessing there might be a lot of disappointing Splatoon 2 owners with no Switches if Nintendo doesn't have a huge shipment ready for the launch and summer vacation.

[SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 9
[SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 7

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe/Zelda legs seem to be nearly in sync, interestingly there appear to be more MK8D second hand sales.

[PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn - 8

Did Horizon get a discount in Japan of any kind similar to the ones in Europe/US?

Datschge

If a game is announced without a Switch version currently, it's not coming out on Switch.
That's not a given. While I don't believe it to be the case, there is the possibility that Sony did some timed exclusive deals that prevent the games to be marketed for Switch before the PS4 release. In any case it's interesting to see many UE4 games being announced not targeting Switch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's important to remember that most of those preorders are from before the game was delayed but yeah, not sure if Switch version not showing up yet is cause for concern.

Just to give a bit more context, the first release date KT gave for the game was December 22nd, 2016. That was quite awhile ago.

Oregano

That's not a given. While I don't believe it to be the case, there is the possibility that Sony did some timed exclusive deals that prevent the games to be marketed for Switch before the PS4 release. In any case it's interesting to see many UE4 games being announced not targeting Switch.

DBZ and Code Vein were both announced for XBO and shown at MS' conference. Even then Sony doesn't do that many marketing deals.

Just to give a bit more context, the first release date KT gave for the game was December 22nd, 2016. That was quite awhile ago.

Wonder what that says about the quality of the game...

Is the "Sony has a deal to prevent Switch" thing like a meme or something? That's def not what's going on. Though of course when I open my mouth the devs say that they can port the game to Switch if there is interest (but it would be a late port)

Ōkami

Nights of Azure 2 is going to bomb on Switch either way.

The anime girl RPG fanbase needs to be there before those kids of games can sell, Fate/Extella is going to bomb too.

Datschge

DBZ and Code Vein were both announced for XBO and shown at MS' conference. Even then Sony doesn't do that many marketing deals.
Who knows. I just recall the odd case of Nier Automata on PC where nothing could be said until the actual release. Sony may be feeling that Switch's momentum is endangering the support for PS4 specifically in Japan. A couple small deals help PS4 not looking as lost next to a rampant lottery-inducing Switch.

Eolz

2018 will be huge for the Switch in terms of Japanese 3rd party support. I don't know what you're smoking to think otherwise.

I'll believe "huge" when I'll see it.
Cf my previous post about KT support.

Ōkami;241167957 said:

The anime girl RPG fanbase needs to be there before those kids of games can sell, Fate/Extella is going to bomb too.

Fate/Extella is a late port, and not really in the same position as NoA2 launching at the same time on every platform.
It'll likely not do too well, but I think it can steal some sales from the Vita version, considering how poor Gust's vita ports are getting lately. It's not going to sell a lot even if you combine all the platforms anyway.

gtj1092

Who knows. I just recall the odd case of Nier Automata on PC where nothing could be said until the actual release. Sony may be feeling that Switch's momentum is endangering the support for PS4 specifically in Japan. A couple small deals help PS4 not looking as lost next to a rampant lottery-inducing Switch.

Which never seemed to be actually true considering there was a PC announcement and steam special edition all known before launch.

Sandfox

Ōkami;241167957 said:

And you have to release those games to build the fanbase.

EDarkness

Yeah. The NS version wasn't ranked all that high on Amazon Japan, either.

Nights of Azure 2 (standard edition) (NS) - 1,030 (7,884 yen)
Nights of Azure 2 (standard edition) (PS4) - 446 (6,440 yen)
Nights of Azure 2 (standard edition) (Vita) - 2,997 (5,472 yen)
*Standard Edition retail price: 7,884 yen

Nights of Azure 2 (Premium Box) (Vita) - 9,356 (8,207 yen)
Nights of Azure 2 (Premium Box) (PS4) - 480 (9,090 yen)
Nights of Azure 2 (Premium Box) (NS) - 1,536 (11,124 yen)
*Premium Box retail price: 11,124 yen

Super Limited Edition Gust Box
Nights of Azure 2 (Limited Box) (NS) - 1,357 (17,604 yen)
Nights of Azure 2 (Limited Box) (PS4) - 1,352 (17,604 yen)
Nights of Azure 2 (Limited Box) (Vita) - 4,089 (16,524 yen)
*Limited Box retail price: 17,604 yen

I was really surprised that the NS version is holding up as well as it is. It was worse a few days ago, so I guess more folks are pre-ordering the game now. The Limited Box is holding up pretty well with the PS4 version and I'm sure they're happy about that. The one thing I noticed is that there aren't any real price drops for the NS game, compared to the PS4 and Vita versions. Looks like both the PS4 and NS versions are doing better than the Vita version. At least on Amazon.

I really hope it does well, because I want to see more games like this get released.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah. The NS version wasn't ranked all that high on Amazon Japan, either.

Knights of Azure 2 (standard edition) (NS) - 1,030 (7,884 yen)
Knights of Azure 2 (standard edition) (PS4) - 446 (6,440 yen)
Knights of Azure 2 (standard edition) (Vita) - 2,997 (5,472 yen)
*Standard Edition retail price: 7,884 yen

Knights of Azure 2 (Premium Box) (Vita) - 9,356 (8,207 yen)
Knights of Azure 2 (Premium Box) (PS4) - 480 (9,090 yen)
Knights of Azure 2 (Premium Box) (NS) - 1,536 (11,124 yen)
*Premium Box retail price: 11,124 yen

Super Limited Edition Gust Box
Knights of Azure 2 (Limited Box) (NS) - 1,357 (17,604 yen)
Knights of Azure 2 (Limited Box) (PS4) - 1,352 (17,604 yen)
Knights of Azure 2 (Limited Box) (Vita) - 4,089 (16,524 yen)
*Limited Box retail price: 17,604 yen

I was really surprised that the NS version is holding up as well as it is. It was worse a few days ago, so I guess more folks are pre-ordering the game now. The Limited Box is holding up pretty well with the PS4 version and I'm sure they're happy about that. The one thing I noticed is that there aren't any real price drops for the NS game, compared to the PS4 and Vita versions.

I really hope it does well, because I want to see more games like this get released.

I've been checking Nights of Azure 2 (it's Nights, not Knights :p ) for a while, and the trend seems to be PS4 > NS > PSV, with Vita way behind for some SKUs. And all of this without the usual pre-launch discount that every game available to pre-order on Amazon.co.jp features, barring some exceptions. Still, it's better to wait and see what happens when we'e nearer the game's launch, especially because things don't look that good for the game as a whole.

Datschge

Which never seemed to be actually true considering there was a PC announcement and steam special edition all known before launch.
But no date and no talk, to the point people started wondering if it may have been canceled. Not all too dissimilar what's happening with DQXI for Switch.

EDarkness

I've been checking Nights of Azure 2 (it's Nights, not Knights :p ) for a while, and the trend seems to be PS4 > NS > PSV, with Vita way behind for some SKUs. And all of this without the usual pre-launch discount that every game available to pre-order on Amazon.co.jp features, barring some exceptions. Still, it's better to wait and see what happens when we'e nearer the game's launch, especially because things don't look that good for the game as a whole.

Oh crap. Ha, ha. I can't believe I screwed that up. I'll fix that in a moment.

Well, I'm just trying to get a general idea of where it's gonna fall and I think the biggest issue facing the game is that it's been delayed for a LONG time. I can see folks being a little wary of what the final product is gonna be like. I'm hoping for the best. Still, it's holding up fairly well so far.

Ōkami;241167957 said:

I thought I'd take a look at that game on Amazon.co.jp, too.

Fate/EXTELLA (Limited Box) - 563 (9,102 yen) *retail price: 10,584 yen
Fate/EXTELLA (Standard Edition) - 789 (6,890 yen) *retail price: 8,424 yen

I know the PS4 game is old now, but it's ranking is 3,850 with a price of 6,605 yen. Looks like at least some people are interested in the game on the NS.

It doesn't seem to be doing all that bad on Amazon. I'm surprised to see the Limited Box ranked higher, but maybe people want that cool looking carrying case. I wouldn't mind having that myself, but my wife wouldn't let me pay that much for a game. :(

Fdkn

I don't know how sony is achieving profit if they have to pay to every developer to make games for ps4 or to not port them for other platforms. The Sony moneyhat boogeyman is getting out of control.

Datschge

I don't know how sony is achieving profit if they have to pay to every developer to make games for ps4 or to not port them for other platforms. The Sony moneyhat boogeyman is getting out of control.
I also don't understand how any publisher interested in selling its game would agree to a setup like what happened for Nier Automata, but it happened.

Also to reiterate what I wrote at the start, I don't believe any of this is happening. But both Sony and the Japanese publishers showed that it's not beyond them to make deals like these, so it's a fun additional consideration. ^^

EDarkness

I also don't understand how any publisher interested in selling its game would agree to a setup like what happened for Nier Automata, but it happened.

Also to reiterate what I wrote at the start, I don't believe any of this is happening. But both Sony and the Japanese publishers showed that it's not beyond them to make deals like these, so it's a fun additional consideration. ^^

What was the situation with Nier Automata? I was under the impression that it was Square Enix who simply contracted Platinum Games to make the game with Taro as the writer. Was there more to that? I seem to remember there being an article about Platinum saying they'd port the game to whatever platform Square Enix wanted.

Datschge

What was the situation with Nier Automata? I was under the impression that it was Square Enix who simply contracted Platinum Games to make the game with Taro as the writer. Was there more to that? I seem to remember there being an article about Platinum saying they'd port the game to whatever platform Square Enix wanted.
For all we know Platinum did both PC and PS4 at once, but after the PS4 version featured at PSX everybody went completely mum on the PC version, with a couple contradicting leaks/PR releases. Cue roller coaster ride about its release date.

Anecdote time - I wanted to follow up on my impressions of ARMS' potential now that my wife has played it. So far she doesn't like it and says it's not as fun as it looked in the January presentation, because the game feels slow since the punches take a long time to land. She says it looked more "energetic" in the presentation. She does like the character designs though.

Personally, I find the game very fun, but I don't think it succeeds at being the Splatoon/Mario Kart of the fighting genre. If the game is successful enough, I see a sequel changing things up a lot more than the sequels to Splatoon and Mario Kart. There's definitely something there, but I think it's missing something to be the next Splatoon/Mario Kart/Smash Bros. I will stick with my 500k prediction LTD, which I think will be enough for a sequel but not enough for one that doesn't bring significant changes/additions to the formula.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

01./00. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./01. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
03./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
05./02. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
06./09. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./11. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
08./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
09./17. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)
10./12. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
11./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
12./21. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
13./13. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ACT> (Ubisoft)
14./15. [3DS] Mario Sports Superstars <SPT> (Nintendo)
15./18. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
16./16. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games)
17./19. [3DS] Pokemon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
18./06. [NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection <RPG> (Square Enix)
19./20. [3DS] Pokemon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
20./22. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 24, 2017 (Jun 12 - Jun 18)

01./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./05. [PS4] Gundam Versus: Premium G (Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
05./09. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./06. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
07./12. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
08./07. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ry&#363;nosuke Naruhod&#333; <ADV> (Capcom)
09./00. [NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors (Premium Box) <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
10./13. [3DS] Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology <RPG> (Atlus)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 23, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Vinnk

Anecdote time - I wanted to follow up on my impressions of ARMS' potential now that my wife has played it. So far she doesn't like it and says it's not as fun as it looked in the January presentation, because the game feels slow since the punches take a long time to land. She says it looked more "energetic" in the presentation. She does like the character designs though.

I kind of agree with your wife. I was hoping for more of a Punch-Out but yeah it's a lot slower and the motion controls have not fully clicked with me. But I think I will like it more once I get a bit more practice and figure out the systems. One of the reasons I haven't played very much is that my daughter LOVES arms. She has been playing it a ton. I am not saying she is representative of all Japanese kids. She is MY daughter after all. But she at least finds that game very appealing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I kind of agree with your wife. I was hoping for more of a Punch-Out but yeah it's a lot slower and the motion controls have not fully clicked with me. But I think I will like it more once I get a bit more practice and figure out the systems. One of the reasons I haven't played very much is that my daughter LOVES arms. She has been playing it a ton. I am not saying she is representative of all Japanese kids. She is MY daughter after all. But she at least finds that game very appealing.

People from around the world are playing Ranked, I've been playing it at all times of the day and so far and I've yet to make it into grand prix mode without someone challenging me. Couldn't do it at 2-4am Friday or anytime yesterday. We'll see as we get past launch weekend but I've been playing a lot of people from Japan at what would be normal hours for them.

Passose

Banned

Personally, I find the game very fun, but I don't think it succeeds at being the Splatoon/Mario Kart of the fighting genre. If the game is successful enough, I see a sequel changing things up a lot more than the sequels to Splatoon and Mario Kart. There's definitely something there, but I think it's missing something to be the next Splatoon/Mario Kart/Smash Bros. I will stick with my 500k prediction LTD, which I think will be enough for a sequel but not enough for one that doesn't bring significant changes/additions to the formula.
Arms is my GOTY apparently, really like it

vareon

If you've played ranked matches on ARMS or completed the level 7 Grand Prix like me, they're anything but slow.

Yes but that's not what most people will experience. I think the appeal will be more limited than Splatoon. It'll succeed but not become a phenomenon like Splatoon was.

If you've played ranked matches on ARMS or completed the level 7 Grand Prix like me, they're anything but slow.

I'm sure, but casual gamers probably won't be able to reach that level. The game has to be fun even for people who aren't very good.

Personally, I'm not even at that level (and may never reach it), but I didn't think it was slow or that the speed was a problem. I think it feels good and the fights are already intense at that speed. It gives you a little more time to think than regular fighters and I like that.

ggx2ac

I just noticed something. Aside from Xenoblade 2 needing a release date and Super Mario Odyssey releasing in October.

What if it turns out Nintendo are planning to release the SNES Mini Classic in November?

(Speculation though according to the rumour since it didn't make sense before E3 why they would do it.)

I just noticed something. Aside from Xenoblade 2 needing a release date and Super Mario Odyssey releasing in October.

What if it turns out Nintendo are planning to release the SNES Mini Classic in November?

(Speculation though according to the rumour since it didn't make sense before E3 why they would do it.)
I believe you since I think that they won't have a November game or just Xenoblade(would be weird) and would be very hot item.
Just imagining Switch and SNES mini would do amazing for Nintendo.

Effect

2018 will be huge for the Switch in terms of Japanese 3rd party support. I don't know what you're smoking to think otherwise.

Nice you have that faith. I no longer believe. Not at all.

If a game is announced without a Switch version currently, it's not coming out on Switch.

This is the mind set many people should take going forward. There aren't going to be any late ports announced after this year. Either Switch versions get announced when the game is announced or it is simply not coming. To save one's self from frustration I think people should get used to that. This is why I believe Monster Hunter is gone from Nintendo.

vareon

NES Mini is a great holiday item for Nintendo when it has very little to offer last holiday, but this holiday Switch should still be in a very high demand. I wonder if they need to release an SNES Mini.

Passose

Banned
NES Mini is a great holiday item for Nintendo when it has very little to offer last holiday, but this holiday Switch should still be in a very high demand. I wonder if they need to release an SNES Mini.
they should introduce it with the Virtual Console service

sinonobu

Banned
This is the mind set many people should take going forward. There aren't going to be any late ports announced after this year. Either Switch versions get announced when the game is announced or it is simply not coming. To save one's self from frustration I think people should get used to that. This is why I believe Monster Hunter is gone from Nintendo.

And Capcom is gone from the industry?

And Capcom is gone from the industry?
Might as well. RE7 and SFV bombed. What else do they have left?

Speaking of industry. Japan is gonna take a hit in software sales now that Capcom moved MH to PS4.

I really hope Splatoon continues to grow and hit the multi million status!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Still surprised we haven't seen a PS4 price drop to pin back Switch some. Maybe after DQ?
Please I want to buy one

That's Capcom's problem. Sooner or later there will be someone who will replace MH as the main hunting game if they leave the field for too long
Because that worked so well before..

ggx2ac

That's Capcom's problem. Sooner or later there will be someone who will replace MH as the main hunting game if they leave the field for too long

That's hard to say when Monster Hunter clones haven't done as well.

Even with brand power Final Fantasy Explorers didn't do that well either.

Passose

Banned
Because that worked so well before..
sure, you could use Sony,KT and Bamco's endless attempts at making hunting games before, but remember which platform were they on.And remember, once the switch make it to 10 million units sold, do you think those third parties will just ignore the empty field of hunting games on the switch?

Like God Eater, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Final Fantasy Explorers and Freedom Wars did?

But now the spot for best hunting game on handhelds is open.

In a world where Monster Hunter stops releasing on Nintendo platforms, sure. Good thing that's not happening any time soon.

Passose

Banned
Like God Eater, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Final Fantasy Explorers and Freedom Wars did?

In a world where Monster Hunter stops releasing on Nintendo platforms, sure. Good thing that's not happening any time soon.
read my last post
edit:and also, Monster Hunter needs some competitions, and this is the right moment for it. It's for the better of the hunting genre as a whole

read my last post

I struggle to see a world where any hunting game not called Monster Hunter takes the crown, even on Switch. Considering Switch is getting a MH game in 2 months time, why are you people acting like Capcom has abandoned Nintendo platforms?

Says you. I'll believe it when I see it.

Logic failed Capcom way too many times.

Capcom do pretty stupid things, but they no better than to abandon Nintendo platforms entirely. Either way, we'll get our Monster Hunter Switch game soon enough.

Kyoufu

I struggle to see a world where any hunting game not called Monster Hunter takes the crown, even on Switch. Considering Switch is getting a MH game in 2 months time, why are you people acting like Capcom has abandoned Nintendo platforms?

It's the most baffling thing. I don't understand it. They're obviously not going to abandon domestic sales.

Top Bottom