• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

casiopao

I'm sorry to interrupt this fantastic discussion topic,

GamesMaya says that pre-orders of DQXI for PS4 and 3DS are on the same level. Pre-orders of 3DS version started to accelerate this week and the difference is almost non-existent (implying that PS4 was leading before).

No Switch restock planned for this week.

After the recent miss prediction by YSO, i had hard time believing them for this coming DQ release number lol.^_^

I can see both DQ doing below 1 mil actually their release week.

And, Switch is doomed lol.

Zedark

GamesMaya says that pre-orders of DQXI for PS4 and 3DS are on the same level. Pre-orders of 3DS version started to accelerate this week and the difference is almost non-existent (implying that PS4 was leading before).

Has it happened before that GamesMaya didn't get any Switch units allocated?

I expected DQXI 3DS preorders to accelerate leading up to release. It seems like a game that people will buy right around launch rather than months before like the PS4 version, due to the variation in audiences.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Do we start doing this across brands of home consoles too?

Group A: 100 potential buyers only buy Sony platforms
Group B: 120 potential buyers only buy Nintendo platforms
Group C: 400 potential buyers buy either Nintendo or Sony platforms.

You have clear different markets for potential sales for Sony (500 dudes) and Nintendo (520 dudes.)

...But we still consider them the same market because of the overwhelming overlap.

This is still ridiculous honestly. I could do the same and change the lines to "Home Electronics", "Dedicated Systems Released in Black", "Dedicated Systems Under $200." If we're going to make distinctions between these small subsets of people who will only ever buy one thing, we may as well draw even more arbitrary lines.
The best diagram will be with genres. There you'll see entirely different markets that don't compete to each other.

Ōkami;244651818 said:
Dengeki

First week shipment for Splatoon 2 was of 1.000.000 units, the one for Layton Mystery Journey was of 100.000 units.

Splatoon 2 ships in 3 days what the original did in 6 months.

Switch sees its biggest week for software yet and the first week since the launch of MHXX where over a million games were sold.

Switch software LTD at 2.5m, for comparison PS4 sold 2.3m in 2014, 1.9m not counting Knack, its also already higher than Vita totals by the end of 2012 and will end up higher than Wii U totals by the end of 2013.

3DS sold 7m in 2011.

Also, my posts yesterday were a missunderstanding, I just got last week's Famitsu by accident, this week's issue has plenty of sales information.
Ehhh.. Switch software being better than PS4/Wii U is not exactly something worth praising here.

You had what? Mario, Zelda and now Splatoon releasing within the launch months on Switch. If the software wasn't selling despite these big names, then it would have been a disaster.

The first year for Switch looks pretty good so far in term of first party support so Nintendo does deserve some credit. Now all they need to do is announce Smash Bros. for Switch since I am desperately waiting for it.

test_account

XP-39C²
RIP Paint. You shall be missed.
Paint will still live on. It wont come installed with Windows, but its it will be available in the Windows Store:)

The best diagram will be with genres. There you'll see entirely different markets that don't compete to each other.
I dont think anyone said that they arent competing against eachother, only that handhelds have been more popular than consoles. Everything in the gaming business competes with eachother somehow.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I dont think anyone said that they arent competing against eachother, only that handhelds have been more popular than consoles. Everything in the gaming business competes with eachother somehow.
If that's what you got from this thread then you lost all the fun.

Ehhh.. Switch software being better than PS4/Wii U is not exactly something worth praising here.

You had what? Mario, Zelda and now Splatoon releasing within the launch months on Switch. If the software wasn't selling despite these big names, then it would have been a disaster.

The first year for Switch looks pretty good so far in term of first party support so Nintendo does deserve some credit. Now all they need to do is announce Smash Bros. for Switch since I am desperately waiting for it.

I don't think he's necessarily praising the fact that Switch software sold better than PS4/Wii U software aligned, but that it was done in just 4.5 months. The real thing to beat is obviously 3DS software, and given the lineup and legs of previous titles, it's possible for the Switch to reach that as well. Of course it depends on how the stock situation ends up though.

test_account

XP-39C²
If that's what you got from this thread then you lost all the fun.
I have to admit that i havnt followed the discussion that closely on this page, and there might be some disagreement regarding how much overlapping there are between different systems, but i'm sure that everyone agree that gaming as a whole competes for people time and money :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You would think the hysteria from earlier this week re: Switch hardware would teach us to be a bit more hesitant freaking out about early stock reports.
Anecdotal last week was pointing to big restock. The problem was there were again some clueless posts and posters that turned white into black.

Mory Dunz

I am really confuse about today topic now.

Are Flying pokemon super effective against Grounded pokemon?

Is the reverse of "PS4 reaching 5m shouldn't be praised" fun argument we just had yesterday?
That was a statement of a comparison more than anything...

Eolz

Neat. Sounds like a global 2+M opening indeed.
3DS stock will likely have great legs too, especially by coming back during the holidays and so.

Isn't that unusual? Hasn't there been a restock nearly every week so far? Sucks for our 3DS vs. Switch comparison.

They really put all the stock for Splatoon 2 launch, I don't think it's that surprising tbh.

LordKano

Persona Q 2 will most likely be announced next week :
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/890476680338448385
Persona Q 2 is most likely happening, as the domain pq2.jp is now on the nameservers Atlus uses for their websites.

Atlus did this before, back when P5 was being officially announced. When P5 was a week away from announcement, they moved the domain over.

Now we are less than a week from the concert and the PQ2 domain is on a dedicated server. Well, not too hard to get what is happening.

ZOONAMI

Could Nintendo theoretically not have a stock issue if they just upped the memory to 64gb or 128gb?

I don't know how NAND works. 32gb seems like the most common phone and tablet storage right now.

Could Nintendo theoretically not have a stock issue if they just upped the memory to 64gb or 128gb?

I don't know how NAND works. 32gb seems like the most common phone and tablet storage right now.

The issue is lack of manfucaturers to fill demand. That wouldn't help.

I just realized this will probably be the first spinoff to feature Persona 5 characters.

Maybe we'll get Persona 5 Dancing All Night on Switch later on.

Mory Dunz

The thing is, while MS is clearly losing to Sony worldwide, they're not doing badly. They'll always be an also-ran in Europe and nonexistent in Asia, but they have a strong base of support in America. So they don't really have that much of a motivation to reset, because there's not much for them to change.

They started well, but since they stopped giving numbers, estimates only have it above 30m, monthly NPD numbers have gone back down since the 1S.....it looks worse than it did before imo.

The 3DS is on a decline tho, even in Japan. I'm curious to see how well Deep Strange Journey will do, and we don't know how active 3DS owners will be playing on that device in a year. If Atlus want to futureproof themselves, they might want to make it a multiplatform title or just skip the 3DS altogether.

Also, if Persona Q2 includes only P4 and P5 characters, it would also make a lot of sense to make it for PlayStation.

LordKano

The 3DS is on a decline tho, even in Japan. I'm curious to see how well Deep Strange Journey will do, and we don't know how active 3DS owners will be playing on that device in a year. If Atlus want to futureproof themselves, they might want to make it a multiplatform title or just skip the 3DS altogether.

Also, if Persona Q2 includes only P4 and P5 characters, it would also make a lot of sense to make it for PlayStation.

This is 150% a 3DS only title, most likely for Q1 2018. Don't raise your hopes.

Being a PS4/Switch title would definitely give it more sales potential, but they already have the engine ready on the 3DS and it would be much cheaper to develop so...I can see why they would go with that.

Top Bottom