• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Capcom has 37 New Titles (SKU) releasing this FY.

They forecast 10.3 million sales from them. We know MvCi is accounting for 2 million of those sales.

Trying to count 37 SKUs...

- Disney Afternoon Collection (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Mega Man Legacy Collection (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Monster Hunter World (PS4, XB1, PC) = 3
- Great Ace Attorney 2 (3DS) = 1
- Monster Hunter XX Switch Ver. (Switch) = 1
- Ultra Street Fighter II (Switch) = 1
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4, XB1) = 2
- Monster Hunter Stories Ver 1.2 (3DS) = 1

So theres 19 New Titles (SKU) that I haven't counted because they are probably unannounced games.

EU, NA and JP are different SKUs.

ggx2ac

EU, NA and JP are different SKUs.

Oh okay, I just assumed it wasn't by region since what they released so far in the quarter lists only 1 SKU for each platform that has a number.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/html/explanation/2018/1st/images/pdf_26.png

Edit: Wait, you're right.

pdf_16.png

They've released 7 New Titles (SKU), so there's only 30 left.

It's really sad to see RE7 continually falling behind Capcom's expectations. It's my favorite RE.

Port it to the Switch, Capcom. I'll buy it again.

ethomaz

Banned
More than 10 million of new games sold seems like a tough goal to hit, especially considering most of those are ports (would these even be counted or put in the "catalog unit sales"?) and other stuff is either pretty risky (MH:World) or not too hot going by the reception so far (MvCI).
They will launch 37 new SKUs to reach these 10.3 million.

LordRaptor

Street Fighter V's history:

March 2016: 1.4 million
June 2016: 1.4 million
September 2016: 1.4 million
December 2016: 1.5 million
March 2017: 1.6 million
June 2017: 1.7 million

Initial target for sales as of March 2016: 2 million

They needed a long time to sell out the initial shipment, but they're moving about 100K every three months now.

It's still pretty pathetic for a game that's getting continual updates and sells for peanuts.

I initially read this as monthly totals not cumulative LTD and thought "Damn, thats doing way better than I thought"

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
More than 10 million of new games sold seems like a tough goal to hit, especially considering most of those are ports (would these even be counted or put in the "catalog unit sales"?) and other stuff is either pretty risky (MH:World) or not too hot going by the reception so far (MvCI).
I don't think anyone with mind takes Capcom's forecasts seriously anymore.

They know themselves from now they are way off their FY target after the fantastic sales of RE7 last quarter.

Shengar

Not really, plenty of way to recover if MHW isn't the worldwide success they're expecting.

*psstt
Monster Hunter World Portable
*pstt

=======

Anyway, do we have LTD numbers for the Fire Emblem remakes? FE Echoes being a bomb feels a like bad meme to me considering it's pretty much in line with the previous two remakes, especially when counting 1) Shadow Dragons was released at the peak of DS life time, 2) New Mystery of the Emblem was released when DS have 8 millions more LTD than the 3DS now.

Ōkami

Regarding Resident Evil 7, I wouldn't be surprised if they rerelease some Gold Edition or the likes later this year, that 2m forecast was always crazy, I don't think Resident Evil 5 sold that much on any FY post launch.

DLC support has been rather lame anyway, so maybe they're saving stuff for last, there was supposed to be free DLC on the spring but we haven't heard anything for months.

I would specially expect some sort of coop mode to be introduced.

Ōkami;244763733 said:
Regarding Resident Evil 7, I wouldn't be surprised if they rerelease some Gold Edition or the likes later this year, that 2m forecast was always crazy, I don't think Resident Evil 5 sold that much on any FY post launch.

DLC support has been rather lame anyway, so maybe they're saving stuff for last, there was supposed to be free DLC on the spring but we haven't heard anything for months.

I would specially expect some sort of coop mode to be introduced.

They will, but the DLC has been delayed for a long time. Either they are having certain issues or the scope of the DLC has increased significantly.

I'm thinking online.

Ōkami

btw, I've been reading some retailer blogs and they've said similar things to Gamesmaya, how 3DS preorders for DQXI increased tenfold during the past week.

Some say its doing better than the PS4 version now, others on par.

The game came out 1 hour ago, so only digital people have it now, we should be getting pictures of lines in 12 hours or so.

sense

While they have been falling short of sales expectations for some of their new titles, things aren't as dire as some are making it out to be. They have posted profits for the last fiscal year and also for this quarter and their catalog sales are good as well.

There is no reason they had to announce it today.

True. I guess they just wanted to initiate hype for the western release since the game just released in Japan, and they wanted to let fans know it's not going to be another DQVII/DQVIII 3DS situation where they take forever to localize it.

L~A

Well in this case I think it's just because they don't want to be forced to say anything about the Switch version just yet, as to not kneecap sales of the PS4/3DS versions that just released in Japan.

Kneecap what? Switch version has already been confirmed, so it would hardly make a difference. It's not like they actually showed the game today, either.

Besides, I don't think a western announcement would have any impact whatsoever on Japanese sales, 99%* of people who are going to buy the game probably won't even know about the western announcement.

Informations on western DQXI this fall. Will they unveil the Switch version at the same time ?

This fall probably means PSX, so I doubt we'll see Switch version there. Could be at another show (Paris Games Week?), but I doubt it, PSW makes the most sense imo.

* number taken from my ***

True. I guess they just wanted to initiate hype for the western release since the game just released in Japan, and they wanted to let fans know it's not going to be another DQVII/DQVIII 3DS situation where they take forever to localize it.

Still doesn't explain why they list no platforms. Like I just don't get the point of announcing a game and not specifying a platform. Are you just trying to make people guess for fun? If you aren't ready to talk about platforms you aren't ready to talk about the game period.

Still doesn't explain why they list no platforms. Like I just don't get the point of announcing a game and not specifying a platform. Are you just trying to make people guess for fun? If you aren't ready to talk about platforms you aren't ready to talk about the game period.
My guess is that they aren't sure on the 3DS version but they also can't skip out on announcing it for Switch.

Kneecap what? Switch version has already been confirmed, so it would hardly make a difference. It's not like they actually showed the game today, either.

Besides, I don't think a western announcement would have any impact whatsoever on Japanese sales, 99%* of people who are going to buy the game probably won't even know about the western announcement.

Well I just meant that if they announced that the Switch version was releasing alongside the other versions in the west in 2018, it could indicate a range of time that the Switch JP version might release (since it would surely be before the western version).

But hey, I'm just trying to make sense of something that doesn't really make sense.

I agree. It's pretty dumb. Like if they aren't sure what versions they want to bring over, they should've just waited until they had that figured out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, because Resident Evil will always be their biggest franchise. They'll make millions but simply porting RE games and remaking old ones.

Nah they used to Make 4.1 million a year from MH. That's way above what RE was bringing in if you count the period as a whole. There's only so many new platforms you can port shit to.

The switch will probably be the next destination for RE back catalogue though.

LordKano

I guess it is because not all platform version will com to west. Probably it will release only on PS4 and Switch.

Doubt it. It's probably just a case of a Japanese publisher being weird, like Atlus when they refused to say that EOV was a 3DS game, despite being the most obvious choice.

The Switch version being an enhanced 3DS version

Lmaooooo

My guess is that they aren't sure on the 3DS version but they also can't skip out on announcing it for Switch.

If they don't know this by now they are in no position to be announcing a localization.

WI agree. It's pretty dumb. Like if they aren't sure what versions they want to bring over, they should've just waited until they had that figured out.

They couldn't be localizing the game at this point without target platforms. It makes no sense.

I guess it is because not all platform version will com to west. Probably it will release only on PS4 and Switch.

The Switch version being an enhanced 3DS version.

Are you saying they are scared to announce no 3DS version? Because otherwise I don't see why your point means they can't announce platforms.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
While they have been falling short of sales expectations for some of their new titles, things aren't as dire as some are making it out to be. They have posted profits for the last fiscal year and also for this quarter and their catalog sales are good as well.

In what world is Capcom in a good spot? You're really putting the best possible spin on things.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you saying they are scared to announce no 3DS version? Because otherwise I don't see why your point means they can't announce platforms.
My point is SE choose to release the Switch version instead the 3DS in the west...

The Switch version being based in 3DS version instead PS4 (I made this prediction early this year).

Nah they used to Make 4.1 million a year from MH. That's way above what RE was bringing in if you count the period as a whole. There's only so many new platforms you can port shit to.

The switch will probably be the next destination for RE back catalogue though.

Ummm no. Don't matter, RE has legs and theres still RE: revelations, RER2 and other possible spin offs besides mainline entires. The ports of RE4/5/6 to PS4/XB1 are nearing 3 million.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ummm no. Don't matter, RE has legs and theres still RE: revelations, RER2 and other possible spin offs besides mainline entires. The ports of RE4/5/6 to PS4/XB1 are nearing 3 million.

if your best chance of sales is porting your catalog, your business probably isn't very healthy.

My point is SE choose to release the Switch version instead the 3DS in the west...

The Switch version being based in 3DS version instead PS4 (I made this prediction early this year).

Can you explain to me why this stops them from announcing platforms? All you have said is they made a platform choice. Okay, why does that stop them from announcing it?

ethomaz

Banned
Can you explain to me why this stops them from announcing platforms? All you have said is they made a platform choice. Okay, why does that stop them from announcing it?
Because they are right now releasing in Japan and they didn't want to talk about the Switch version at all.

They already said they will release a Switch version but stopped to talk about it because they are releasing the 3DS version first.

Or they are not sure about whitch version being to west: 3DS or Switch... or even witch version Switch will be based (PS4 or 3DS) and they will choose after the reception in Japan.

I can only speculate the reasons.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Ummm yes. If you count up the sales since Re 6 the Resident evil franchise hasn't been selling all that great beyond the ports. MH has been Capcom's breadwinner for a long time now. It's really not all that close.

Because they are right now releasing in Japan and they didn't want to talk about the Switch version at all.

They already said they will release a Switch version but stopped to talk about it because they are releasing the 3DS version first.

Or they are not sure about whitch version being to west: 3DS or Switch... or even witch version Switch will be based (PS4 or 3DS) and they will choose after the reception in Japan.

I can only speculate the reasons.

Goes back to my other point. Why announce this today then? Is something special occuring today that makes it vital to announce a game with no platforms?

I'm not actually poking holes in what you are saying. I understand you're speculation. I just don't get why japanese publishers announce games without platforms. It serves no purpose.

They're better off not raising their expectations too high. In the end it is Monster Hunter, and the appeal of it is still rather unproven across the west.

MH devs are doing this game right, so Capcom management better not fuck it up.

Can't raise expectations when you never shared them lol.

MH:World will do fine though. 3.5-4.0m when it is all said and done

LordKano

Goes back to my other point. Why announce this today then? Is something special occuring today that makes it vital to announce a game with no platforms?

Dragon Quest XI is now available in Japan. That's a pretty big event in itself. I thought it's cool that they announce the localization the exact time the game's available on eShop/PSN.

Top Bottom