• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Alrus

Switch will heavily fall behind the 3DS soon, unless Nintendo miraculously fixed their production line issues recently.

Why single out ARMS? BOTW dropped, MK8D gained only a very small amount. I just seems people weren't buying other games beside Splatoon 2.

I think that's the point he's making.

Nairume

Banned
There's no justice in this world.
Mind Disgaea 5 did poorly in Japan to begin with.

It'll be interesting to see how the western sales compare. I imagine Disgaea 5 will fare better in that comparison, given it had relatively more room to breath along with more positive word of mouth.

asagami_

Banned
gif.gif

Holy cow almost 100,000 million units of Swtich.

L~A

04./00. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2017.07.20} (¥4.800) - 20.883 / NEW

Ok debut, in line with previous entry. Compared to Famitsu data for previous entries, it's the best debut for the series, but not by much (3k), so let's just wait for Famitsu data before celebrating. Still decent performance, especially if sales are as steady as the previous entries.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Splatoon 2 did well, but I don't know. I don't feel it will be the cultural phenomenon in Japan that Splatoon 1 was. It will have some legs, but less than its predecessor.

Splatoon 2 will out sell Splatoon LTD before the end of the year. I don't what makes the first a bigger cultural phenomenon.

First Monster Hunter Portable had the best legs too, that must be the peak of franchise, not 3rd.

Splatoon 2 did well, but I don't know. I don't feel it will be the cultural phenomenon in Japan that Splatoon 1 was. It will have some legs, but less than its predecessor.

Also lol. These hot takes I swear.

The game isn't going to have any trouble outselling Splatoon 1. Th Switch has like a 1.2m install base. What are you projecting based on?

hiska-kun

Posting again here for the new page:

PS4 vs PS3 (PS4 reached 5 millions)
ps4.jpg

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 177|   50.448|4.925.582|   29.771|4.935.270|         9.688|
| 178|   38.877|4.964.459|   36.218|4.971.488|         7.029|
| 179|   28.973|4.993.432|   30.878|5.002.366|         8.934|
| 180|   25.590|5.019.022|         |         |              |
| 181|   25.629|5.044.651|         |         |              |
| 182|   32.874|5.077.525|         |         |              |
| 183|   26.185|5.103.710|         |         |              |
| 184|   20.463|5.124.173|         |         |              |
| 185|   19.075|5.143.248|         |         |              |
| 186|   20.987|5.164.235|         |         |              |
| 187|   18.951|5.183.186|         |         |              |
| 187|   17.676|5.200.862|         |         |              |

Switch vs 3DS
switch.jpg

Code:
|    |    Nintendo 3DS   |   Nintendo Switch |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2011/02/26)   |    (2017/03/03)   |              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   NSW - 3DS  | 
|  19|   30.233|1.188.335|   26.256|1.066.081|      -122.254|
|  20|   22.943|1.211.278|   31.906|1.097.987|      -113.291|
|  21|   46.637|1.257.915|   98.999|1.196.986|       -60.929|
|  22|   31.826|1.289.741|         |         |              |
|  23|   16.415|1.306.156|         |         |              |
|  24|    4.132|1.310.288|         |         |              |
|  25|  196.077|1.506.365|         |         |              |
|  26|  105.639|1.612.004|         |         |              |
|  27|   60.781|1.672.785|         |         |              |
|  28|   54.744|1.727.529|         |         |              |
|  29|   49.076|1.776.605|         |         |              |
|  30|   58.837|1.835.442|         |         |              |

MK8 DX vs MK8
kart.jpg

Code:
|    |   Mario Kart 8    |  Mario Kart 8 DX  |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [NSW] (2017/04/28)|              | 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | MK8DX – MK8  | 
|  1 |  325.892|  325.892|  284.823|  284.823|       -41.069|
|  2 |   73.051|  398.943|   90.652|  375.475|       -23.468|
|  3 |   42.261|  441.205|   36.440|  411.915|       -29.290| 
|  4 |   28.112|  469.316|   28.781|  440.696|       -28.620| 
|  5 |   23.520|  492.837|   26.993|  467.689|       -25.148|  
|  6 |   19.386|  512.223|   20.984|  488.673|       -23.550|  
|  7 |   15.143|  527.366|   16.596|  505.270|       -22.096|  
|  8 |   14.992|  542.358|   16.822|  522.091|       -20.267|  
|  9 |   18.129|  560.487|   13.545|  535.636|       -24.851| 
| 10 |   18.067|  578.554|   14.423|  550.059|       -28.495| 
| 11 |   20.860|  599.414|   13.436|  563.495|       -35.919| 
| 12 |   28.221|  627.635|   11.554|  575.048|       -52.587| 
| 13 |   12.075|  639.710|   12.980|  588.028|       -51.682| 
| 14 |   11.148|  650.858|         |         |              |
| 15 |    8.221|  659.079|         |         |              |
| 16 |    6.839|  665.918|         |         |              |
| 17 |    6.396|  672.313|         |         |              |
| 18 |    5.936|  678.250|         |         |              |
| 19 |    4.517|  682.767|         |         |              |
| 20 |    3.996|  686.763|         |         |              |

KtSlime

I find it curious that the other software didn't increase for Switch. I get that Splatoon 2 took most of the bandwidth, but I had expected a bit more for ARMS, BOTW and MK8D since we are looking at a 3 1/3 times increase in Switch units.

I don't, people are getting swamped this week. I've got Splatoon that I want to play which is addictive as hell, got my DQX beta today which is a time hog, and DQXI comes out in about 57 hours from now. Thank goodness Layton came out so I can play that while waiting in line (I don't have to wait in line for XI, since I have a bundle coming but Amazon will be slow as hell, so will grab it at my local Geo first).

Too many good games all at once.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Amazing achievement for PS4 sales.

The concept of a traditional video game console still selling 5 million is everything. Although, its the last traditional console we will see selling that much in Japan.

Sony has to take the route of on-the-go for PS5. Phones and Nintendo systems are making a killing off of it.

The PS4 is doing amazingly world wide, and that is mostly deserved because it is a solid system that seems to have been made with both consumers and developers in mind after the semi disaster that was the ps3.

That said, it's performance in Japan is not particularly impressive to me. It's tracking ps3 sales, and it's facing less competition. No wii, no psp, no booming ds. Has the home console market continued to shrink?

I think a bigger factor is software. PS4 seems to have been designed with the west in mind. That is reflected in software, hardware sales and design, and strategy (launch date, etc).

So... The question is should the ps4 be doing better in Japan or not? I'm not sure.... But with the vita being dead and ps4 simply matching ps3 sales I think Sony hasn't really succeeded overall in Japan.

13ruce

Banned

It could sell double the amount of what Splatoon 1 did (up from 1.2m to 2.4m) maybe even more. It will for sure even outsell 1 this year already. Not sure why or what can stop Splatoon's popularity in Japan for now and the Switch is a handheld like system too wich they love.

Zedark

I don't, people are getting swamped this week. I've got Splatoon that I want to play which is addictive as hell, got my DQX beta today which is a time hog, and DQXI comes out in about 57 hours from now. Thank goodness Layton came out so I can play that while waiting in line (I don't have to wait in line for XI, since I have a bundle coming but Amazon will be slow as hell, so will grab it at my local Geo first).

Too many good games all at once.
Yeah, that's a good one as well. There are like a million games coming out in the last ten days of July, so that could explain some of it as well.

ggx2ac

Please.

We just had a guy last thread say NSMB and Mario Kart DS were not system sellers for the DS even though they were the biggest selling DS games worldwide.

Now apparently a sequel that debuted at 4.2x higher than its predecessor with less hardware owners in the first week is signs of the sequel doing worse?

Well this basically confirms Zelda won't reach a million this year. Maybe some point in the future.

Great Splatoon 2 and Switch sales, right around where I predicted them for this month. I bet Splatoon does 150k next week, maybe another 40-50k for the Switch.

Dragon Quest XI next week, I honestly have no idea at this point. My instincts have been completely wrong the whole way on this one so we will see.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Splatoon 1 was on wiiu.

WIIU.

It basically single-handedly carried the system after it's ok launch and complete post launch collapse.

People were forced to buy a wiiu to play splatoon.

Wii u.

Not bad for Switch HW numbers. Let's see how are they next week.

Zelda Switch selling less than last week despite the rise on HW numbers... it doesn't bode well for the 1million LTD road.

And congrats to PS4 for the 5 million LTD!

Not all new Switch owners can buy numerous games. A lot of folks buy one game with a purchase of new hardware. All the nintendo games will have legs.

gortsi

Neo Member
Splatoon 1 outsold Mario Kart 8 on Wii U.

back when Splatoon was an unproven IP and MK8 was new.

Splatoon is a beast.

Em, no it didn't, MK8 sold 8.5 million and Splatoon 1 sold 4.9. Mind you, I'm not doubting splatoons popularity I love the game, but let's not pull numbers out of our asses (unless you mean JP only)

boiled goose

good with gravy
Em, no it didn't, MK8 sold 8.5 million and Splatoon 1 sold 4.9. Mind you, I'm not doubting splatoons popularity I love the game, but let's not pull numbers out of our asses (unless you mean JP only)

Poster meant Japan numbers. (We're in Japanese sales thread)

MisterR

Amazing achievement for PS4 sales.

The concept of a traditional video game console still selling 5 million is everything. Although, its the last traditional console we will see selling that much in Japan.

Sony has to take the route of on-the-go for PS5. Phones and Nintendo systems are making a killing off of it.

LOL, I think Sony is probably pretty happy with the performance of the PS4. The world doesn't revolve around Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Splatoon dominating as expected. However, I find it odd that other Switch software didn't get much of a bump due the increased Switch stock.
Switch isn't That cheap. If you are buying a Switch + Splatoon 2 that's already enough money spent for most customers.... Especially if Dragon Quest is being released a week later. Zelda and co. still will be there to purchase for new cyst knee in the following weeks, no need to rush it once you own the hardware.

Eolz

Didn't expect Fate to go up to 10k tbh.
Do we have numbers for Layton on mobile to compare?

And as said in other threads, obviously great for Switch and Splatoon 2, despite the stock issues...

Fukuzatsu

The PS4 is doing amazingly world wide, and that is mostly deserved because it is a solid system that seems to have been made with both consumers and developers in mind after the semi disaster that was the ps3.

That said, it's performance in Japan is not particularly impressive to me. It's tracking ps3 sales, and it's facing less competition. No wii, no psp, no booming ds. Has the home console market continued to shrink?

I think a bigger factor is software. PS4 seems to have been designed with the west in mind. That is reflected in software, hardware sales and design, and strategy (launch date, etc).

So... The question is should the ps4 be doing better in Japan or not? I'm not sure.... But with the vita being dead and ps4 simply matching ps3 sales I think Sony hasn't really succeeded overall in Japan.

I mean you can easily argue that the PS3 was not competing with handheld systems, and that the factors behind the Wii's success are basically impossible to replicate.

In any case, if Japan is a market where WiiU does better than the PS4 for a large part of its first year or more, that should tell you all you need to know about comparisons between PS4 and Switch in Japan. Seeing as a 3DS replacement does not seem to be coming down the pipeline (and likely shouldn't be), both Nintendo and Sony have cannibalised one half of their games market. And if there is a toss-up between a portable system (let alone a portable Nintendo system) and a Sony home platform, history shows that the portable system will do better sales in Japan.

But that's the thing--WiiU outdid the PS4 in sales for a time but is ultimately a failure worldwide. Switch is doing well right now, but can it do as well as 3DS? That's the bar for portable Nintendo last generation, and without another system that is all they will have.

Given the climate of the market, and the Japanese consumer's preference for mobile devices (and among those, Nintendo mobile devices), PS4 maintaining the sales presence of the PS3 is a decent feat.

Others have covered the reason for the bump in sales this week (stockpiling in general for the big release this week and stockpiling specifically for the Splatoon 2 bundle, as well as Nintendo noting they will increase supply in July and August), but as to the baseline having little or nothing to do with constraints, can I ask why makes you say that? The reports regarding long lines in Japan and lottery systems and quick sellouts appear to indicate systems are being sold for the most part very quickly after they are put on physical or virtual shelves.

Yeah, I hadn't read the reports of stockpiling nor anything about new units tied to a newly released bundle, like others pointed out in this thread. Still, logically they would've introduced even more units if demand was so high as to cause shortages, as this seems to be the case in Japan alone.

KtSlime

Didn't expect Fate to go up to 10k tbh.
Do we have numbers for Layton on mobile to compare?

And as said in other threads, obviously great for Switch and Splatoon 2, despite the stock issues...

No numbers, however on the AppStore it has been #1 since launch, and for in app purchases (1900 yen) it is ranked 60th.

I mean you can easily argue that the PS3 was not competing with handheld systems, and that the factors behind the Wii's success are basically impossible to replicate.

In any case, if Japan is a market where WiiU does better than the PS4 for a large part of its first year or more, that should tell you all you need to know about comparisons between PS4 and Switch in Japan. Seeing as a 3DS replacement does not seem to be coming down the pipeline (and likely shouldn't be), both Nintendo and Sony have cannibalised one half of their games market. And if there is a toss-up between a portable system (let alone a portable Nintendo system) and a Sony home platform, history shows that the portable system will do better sales in Japan.

But that's the thing--WiiU outdid the PS4 in sales for a time but is ultimately a failure worldwide. Switch is doing well right now, but can it do as well as 3DS? That's the bar for portable Nintendo last generation, and without another system that is all they will have.

Given the climate of the market, and the Japanese consumer's preference for mobile devices (and among those, Nintendo mobile devices), PS4 maintaining the sales presence of the PS3 is a decent feat.

Fukuzatsu.
I just wanted to say your name

ethomaz

Banned
Congrats PS4 for more one milestone over PS3.

It will probably stay ahead for the 6 million milestone due the holidays.

ps4-king.jpg

Yeah, I hadn't read the reports of stockpiling nor anything about new units tied to a newly released bundle, like others pointed out in this thread. Still, logically they would've introduced even more units if demand was so high as to cause shortages, as this seems to be the case in Japan alone.

Shortages are occurring worldwide, not just in Japan.

vareon

Fate/Extella is a game that didn't have much positive word of mouth and has been played last year by whoever wanted to play the game already.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Layton did quite well considering the game is out on mobile for cheaper. Just shows that no matter how strong the mobile market will be... There will be an audience that prefers to play their games on a portable.

Fate/Ex sales are fine as well... Same type of release would have sold less than 5k on Wii and WiiU. Obv. sales would be better without the shortages... But hey that's the case for all releases.

Vinnk

What is going on today?

If the switch was under supply constraints in Japan, how come there was any bump in HW at all? I think the baseline for the last couple of weeks had little to nothing to do with constraints.

This post has nothing to do with reality. This system has been sold out since launch with no end in sight.

Then you obviously don't live in Japan. If you did you would see how wrong this statement is. Splatoon has never been bigger here.

Are people taking crazy pills today?!?

So the PS4 should pull away from the PS3 for some time again.

Mid term should also look quite good with the incoming Monster Hunter, makes me wonder if there will be a price cut as well at some time.

Top Bottom