• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2016 (Jan 18 - Jan 24)

Vena

Heck, will it outsell actual good games like Kirby and Yoshi? What did those 2 do again?

In Japan it probably will match them, as they did not do all that hot. However, the western performance of YWW (and to a lesser extent Kirby) completely crushes Mario Tennis (YWW NPD was 457, MT was 67...). I'll dig up the MC/Famitsu numbers shortly...

Yoshi J-LTD: 78,127
Kirby J-LTD: 83,750

Yoshi NPD-LTD: 457
Kirby NPD-LTD: 193
MTUS NPD-LTD: 67

noobie

Banned
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final (19 days) - 125,000
[PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (19 days) - 40,000
[PS4] Street Fighter V (11 days) - 68,000
[PSV] Kan Colle Kai (11 days) - 195,000
[PS4 + PS3 + PSV] Attack on Titan (11 days) - 100,000
[PS4 + PSV] Project Setsuna (11 days) - 60,000
[3DS] Nintendo 2DS [Pocket Monsters] (2 days) - 65,000

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In Japan it probably will match them, as they did not do all that hot. However, the western performance of YWW (and to a lesser extent Kirby) completely crushes Mario Tennis (YWW NPD was 457, MT was 67...). I'll dig up the MC/Famitsu numbers shortly...

Didn't Yoshi & Kirby hit 96K and 92K respectively at the end of 2015?

Also I do think Mario Tennis might outsell them. We'll see though *shrugs*.

Vena

Didn't Yoshi & Kirby hit 96K and 92K respectively at the end of 2015?

Also I do think Mario Tennis might outsell them. We'll see though *shrugs*.

Dunno, they have likely since moved past the referenced retail we have. I was referencing our database of numbers.

Predictions:

[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final (19 days) - 112,345
[PS4] Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (19 days) - 41,234
[PS4] Street Fighter V (11 days) - 72,345
[PSV] Kan Colle Kai (11 days) - 193,456
[PS4 + PS3 + PSV] Attack on Titan (11 days) - 102,345
[PS4 + PSV] Project Setsuna (11 days) - 49,876
[3DS] Nintendo 2DS [Pocket Monsters] (2 days) - 67,890

duckroll

It would be nice if they could look a little bit more towards the multi-lingual Asian regions for localisation. Singapore or Malaysia would be a pretty good hub for establishing a multi-lingual localisation scene for Chinese, Malay & English simultaneously. /bias

Singapore is already a decent hub for southeast asia distribution and publishing. I dunno about localization tho, it would be a lot of extra work considering English can be sourced from US releases and Chinese from Taiwan/HK releases. Much more established localization industries there, just like with manga. The Malay audience doesn't really need localization at the moment I feel. Those buying games in the region tend to understand English well, and I'm not sure how large a market there is on going after the non-English speaking Malay audience. I think that's much more limited than the non-English speaking Chinese or Korean audience for example. That's the feeling I get around here anyway.

It is very likely that, as Chris and others said, Mario Tennis is the first game people who bought a Wii U for Super Mario Maker and Splatoon are purchasing - therefore a January release wasn't that bad after all. It is also true that Mario Tennis is one of the most popular Mario sport spin-offs (it sold 350k units on 3DS against 150k units for Mario Golf).

casiopao

It is very likely that, as Chris and others said, Mario Tennis is the first game people who bought a Wii U for Super Mario Maker and Splatoon are purchasing - therefore a January release wasn't that bad after all. It is also true that Mario Tennis is one of the most popular Mario sport spin-offs (it sold 350k units on 3DS against 150k units for Mario Golf).

Don't forget Australian Open may also maybe giving the japanese some tennis heat so they are more interested for mario tennis here.^~^

Singapore is already a decent hub for southeast asia distribution and publishing. I dunno about localization tho, it would be a lot of extra work considering English can be sourced from US releases and Chinese from Taiwan/HK releases. Much more established localization industries there, just like with manga. The Malay audience doesn't really need localization at the moment I feel. Those buying games in the region tend to understand English well, and I'm not sure how large a market there is on going after the non-English speaking Malay audience. I think that's much more limited than the non-English speaking Chinese or Korean audience for example. That's the feeling I get around here anyway.

They need to give Indonesian localization some try there.^~^

Not surprising like at all. Considering the lack of content. If only they would give Mario Tennis the same treatment as Mario Golf world tour here. T_T

iirc it's the same complain made for the western release

so at this point I wonder how much the (bad) word of mouth will impact on sales

duckroll

They need to give Indonesian localization some try there.^~^

I think certain countries need to need the industry to mature locally before we can talk about localizations. Two decades ago the idea that there would be legit publishing for videogames in SEA was unthinkable because of piracy. Once it got cleaned up, business started rolling in. Places like Indonesia, Thailand, India, etc could be part of the equation in the future, but it's still not quite there yet.

On the Malay front, you're right. English is a major language in Austronesian regions, even Indonesia, despite English not being an official language there. On that end, it's probably not cost-effective to localise games into those languages, since there are many affluent-enough English speakers or at least understand English enough.

On the other parts though, like I said, it's a nice-to-have thing since I wish English localisation for niche Japanese games could happen faster than they are right now. It is a lot of extra work, since it's essentially starting from a far less developed platform, and in the video games world, almost effectively from scratch since localisation scenes in Malaysia/Singapore are largely only in the manga scene (not even a novel scene), and my idea is almost effectively asking for jobs to be killed at Taiwan/US localisation.

Ideally, the structure of games localisation would be more global where US/EU/Asia could work in tandem to get stuff out simultaneously, or close to each other. Unfortunately even the biggest companies out there struggle on this, especially for products they feel aren't worth the investment to do it out-the-gate. I just think it would be nice if the idea of a simultaneous multi-lingual Asian (except Korean) localisation at a centralised location could happen.

Southeast Asia is an underdeveloped scene for that thing, but it's also one of the few territories that it could feasibly happen due to the multilingual proficiency that territory provides.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Yoshi aslo sold +100k in Germamy. No idea of Mario Tennis numbers but it never charted in TOP 100 lol.

wapplew

Southeast Asia is an underdeveloped scene for that thing, but it's also one of the few territories that it could feasibly happen due to the multilingual proficiency that territory provides.

Well, not even most famous genre in SEA like MMO or Moba get Malay localization.
SEA region just a side effect from western localization. So, fuck the west for not buying enough niche Japan games.

L~A

The blog is starting again with hints about Microsoft retiring from Japan

And Nintendo's having their investor meeting on Wednesday. Coincidence?!!

Seriously, the writing was on the wall. Without even a handheld, Microsoft's adventure in Japan was bound to end sooner than later. I wonder if there'll be any official announcements or if they'll just drop a line on their website.

casiopao

I think certain countries need to need the industry to mature locally before we can talk about localizations. Two decades ago the idea that there would be legit publishing for videogames in SEA was unthinkable because of piracy. Once it got cleaned up, business started rolling in. Places like Indonesia, Thailand, India, etc could be part of the equation in the future, but it's still not quite there yet.

I agree with what u said here about piracy being the biggest barrier on causing tons of lose sales but, with the modern console being harder to pirate, i had seen more people actually opt for original copy or at least second hand copy.(second hand market in Indonesia is very huge too)

Also, not only piracy if u ask me here as the problem. It the crazily high price of single software title which have been the biggest barrier for Indonesia gaming industry to grow out of piracy hole. When a single title can cost 1/6 of ur monthly salary, u can see why most people chose to pirate.

Would they really lose that much if they cut their losses & re-launched there next gen? It's not like things will get any better for them vis-a-vis relations with the public & retailers if they just keep doing what they're doing. There would be a small minority who had purchased the system who would feel abandoned, but there's nothing they have in the pipes that's likely to turn things around for them there.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I guess the thing that bothered me was why people didn't buy Yoshi after Splatoon? Had Splatoon's effect not fully sunk in yet or something?

wapplew

Would they really lose that much if they cut their losses & re-launched there next gen? It's not like things will get any better for them vis-a-vis relations with the public & retailers if they just keep doing what they're doing. There would be a small minority who had purchased the system who would feel abandoned, but there's nothing they have in the pipes that's likely to turn things around for them there.

2017 will be the year Japan MS rebound with Scalebound.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If Microsoft officially retires Japan they won't try again with next console. Who cares anyway, the system was dead from the moment it was announced.

duckroll

I agree with what u said here about piracy being the biggest barrier on causing tons of lose sales but, with the modern console being harder to pirate, i had seen more people actually opt for original copy or at least second hand copy.(second hand market in Indonesia is very huge too)

Also, not only piracy if u ask me here as the problem. It the crazily high price of single software title which have been the biggest barrier for Indonesia gaming industry to grow out of piracy hole. When a single title can cost 1/6 of ur monthly salary, u can see why most people chose to pirate.

I think there are multiple problems when it comes to overturning a culture of piracy. I don't presume to know what the situation is like in some of these other countries, I can only speak from personal experience watching things change as I grew up here in Singapore.

While preventing piracy itself is important, I think destroying the public mindset that piracy is acceptable and something the government and authorities close an eye to is more important. And I don't mean internet piracy, but the physical presence of shops selling bootleg material openly and being totally casual about it, only getting raided rarely in enforcement actions meant only for show. Why is this so important? Because that is the face of a country, the public perception. Once that perception has been altered, it will make it more palatable for foreign companies in that industry to even want to invest in that territory.

And the investment is what matters. You want companies to directly deal in a country, having official local distribution lines and even doing as much manufacturing locally as possible (even if it's just cases and covers for packaging). These things go a long way in making legal legit products accessible to the general public and more affordable. Although how much more affordable will depend largely on the spending power of the audience in that country. I wouldn't say that prices here for games have fallen that much, although if we take inflation into account, maybe? In the past when everything was pirated, I would pay maybe 80-100+ bucks for a Japanese game, 70-80 bucks for a US game. Today the Asian version of a Japanese game costs about 70-80 bucks, US games or English Asian games cost 60-70 bucks, and import Japanese games still cost 80-100 bucks lol. So instead of prices directly dropping, I guess it's more that there are just way more options because of the investments I mentioned.

Piracy and legit distribution for videogames in developing economies is a very interesting topic, but it's hard to have that discussion on this forum a lot of the times because I think people who grew up their entire lives in full developed economies have a very black and white view on copyright, piracy, and pricing, which simply can't apply in parts of the world. Often the solution is not to blame the pirates, but rather look to the cause of the piracy mentality, and work to shift that positively, while pushing to introduce legal alternatives.

Zhao_Yun

The emerging market has been getting pegged hard by media. Everyone is looking to expand that way, and Sony and Microsoft are making big attempts at mainland China, and Nintendo is all over the SEA areas but, at least as of so far, not making inroads into China proper.

I thought that the Wii U isn't even officially sold in SEA?

Well, can't say they didn't try. They did quite a few price drops, bundles, etc... The product just doesn't entice people whatsoever.

With that being said, this will put the nail in the coffin in terms of any leftover Japanese support.

duckroll

It is and it isn't. There are official distributors locally, but they're simply local companies who got the distribution rights from Nintendo because Nintendo doesn't give a shit about Asian markets. It sucks balls. As someone living in SEA, I can confirm that Nintendo's presence in Asia is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Vena

It is and it isn't. There are official distributors locally, but they're simply local companies who got the distribution rights from Nintendo because Nintendo doesn't give a shit about Asian markets. It sucks balls. As someone living in SEA, I can confirm that Nintendo's presence in Asia is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I was thinking more the 3DS as they have actually localized games for it for Korean and regularly launch at the same time, as far as I was aware they actually had some presence with the 3DS but the WiiU is/was non-existent in Asia as it was in every region that isn't NA or major EU countries or Japan.

Are they perhaps very limited to just Korea? Feel free to correct me, though, its good to learn new things.

duckroll

I was thinking more the 3DS as they have actually localized games for it for Korean and regularly launch at the same time, as far as I was aware they actually had some presence with the 3DS but the WiiU is/was non-existent in Asia as it was in every region that isn't NA or major EU countries or Japan.

Are they perhaps very limited to just Korea? Feel free to correct me, though, its good to learn new things.

Korea is... not in SEA. ._.

TheHater

Agree. They can just focus the time and effort into another market such as South America or Europe.

I think there are multiple problems when it comes to overturning a culture of piracy. I don't presume to know what the situation is like in some of these other countries, I can only speak from personal experience watching things change as I grew up here in Singapore.

While preventing piracy itself is important, I think destroying the public mindset that piracy is acceptable and something the government and authorities close an eye to is more important. And I don't mean internet piracy, but the physical presence of shops selling bootleg material openly and being totally casual about it, only getting raided rarely in enforcement actions meant only for show. Why is this so important? Because that is the face of a country, the public perception. Once that perception has been altered, it will make it more palatable for foreign companies in that industry to even want to invest in that territory.

And the investment is what matters. You want companies to directly deal in a country, having official local distribution lines and even doing as much manufacturing locally as possible (even if it's just cases and covers for packaging). These things go a long way in making legal legit products accessible to the general public and more affordable. Although how much more affordable will depend largely on the spending power of the audience in that country. I wouldn't say that prices here for games have fallen that much, although if we take inflation into account, maybe? In the past when everything was pirated, I would pay maybe 80-100+ bucks for a Japanese game, 70-80 bucks for a US game. Today the Asian version of a Japanese game costs about 70-80 bucks, US games or English Asian games cost 60-70 bucks, and import Japanese games still cost 80-100 bucks lol. So instead of prices directly dropping, I guess it's more that there are just way more options because of the investments I mentioned.

Piracy and legit distribution for videogames in developing economies is a very interesting topic, but it's hard to have that discussion on this forum a lot of the times because I think people who grew up their entire lives in full developed economies have a very black and white view on copyright, piracy, and pricing, which simply can't apply in parts of the world. Often the solution is not to blame the pirates, but rather look to the cause of the piracy mentality, and work to shift that positively, while pushing to introduce legal alternatives.

duckroll hits the spot. By the way, Singapore is pretty much the same as pretty much any other developing market in SEA. Maybe a little bit better, but really all regions here suffered from the perception of piracy in the marketplace.

And yeah, spending power & introduction of legal alternatives is a real issue as well. Slightly less so for countries with a good GDP and competitive middle-class wages, but the realities of gaming, especially console gaming in developing markets is well... developing markets are largely paying the same cost, if not more than what US/EU are paying. And because distribution networks, local accessibility and the maturity of the games market in general is much, much weaker than countries like US, things like competitive pricing, discounts are far, far less common.

Sometimes, the notion that we can get games at 30-50% off 6 months-12 months later is pretty much a pipedream. At least I know I can say that for Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Indonesia.

Digital PC marketplace is about the closest thing right now to a localised marketplace for games across different territories of different purchasing powers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

We're talking about this grouping of countries in particular:

400px-map_of_southeastyuwv.png

Vena

Korea is... not in SEA. ._.

We're talking about this grouping of countries in particular:

Oh sorry what I meant is that they do Korea thoroughly, and I was asking if that doesn't carry over into SEA with English releases or even localizations. I meant it as "As far as I am aware they have a presence with the 3DS in Asia (Korea, SEA, not China) but none with the WiiU anywhere at all."

Apologies if I worded that wierdly.

duckroll

Oh sorry what I meant is that they do Korea thoroughly, and I was asking if that doesn't carry over into SEA with English releases or even localizations. I meant it as "As far as I am aware they have a presence with the 3DS in Asia (Korea, SEA, not China) but none with the WiiU anywhere at all."

Apologies if I worded that wierdly.

Like I said, Nintendo themselves have zero presence in SEA. Zilch. They don't care about the market to engage on their own. There are local official distributors who basically distribute US coded 3DS/WiiU units and US 3DS/WiiU software to retail stores, sanctioned by Nintendo. That's basically the sum of it. The local eShops are literally barren, and everyone who wants to buy digital games knows they have to make a Canada account.

Vena

Like I said, Nintendo themselves have zero presence in SEA. Zilch. They don't care about the market to engage on their own. There are local official distributors who basically distribute US coded 3DS/WiiU units and US 3DS/WiiU software to retail stores, sanctioned by Nintendo. That's basically the sum of it. The local eShops are literally barren, and everyone who wants to buy digital games knows they have to make a Canada account.

Ahh okay I got ya. I thought that was meant for the WiiU specifically but I see its for the brand in general.

Do any of the console manufacturers exist in the region in any meaningful degree?

duckroll

Ahh okay I got ya. I thought that was meant for the WiiU specifically but I see its for the brand in general.

Do any of the console manufacturers exist in the region in any meaningful degree?

Absolutely.

Microsoft was the first to have a strong presence in the region because they were in the best position to, having international business offices all over the world for their software business. From day one of the Xbox launch here they've aggressively courted the region with multi-lingual options, local packaging, tie-ups with ISPs and retailers, roadshows, and XBL is friendly anywhere in the world.

Sony had to play catch-up because their PS1 and PS2 generations were way too heavily Japan focused for the region, so the only people buying legit games were those who wanted to buy Japanese language games for a lot of money. That all changed with the PS3 though. They knew that with an online service they would have to change their ways. Going region-free helped in a big way, because they could more easily distribute both English and Japanese games directly in the entire Asian region, and encourage third parties with an international presence to easily publish their English games in Asia as well so people can actually buy games they understand. The Asian PSN storefronts are not as internationally consistent as XBL, but they still have a very acceptable library which I can buy with local currency. In recent years Sony has led the way with Chinese and Korean localizations (and even Asian English exclusive localizations like Demon's Souls!) to encourage third parties to do the same, and they have opened development studios and incubation centers in SEA regions to promote their brand to students and developers.

Nintendo doesn't give a fuck.

Nintendo actually 'tried' back in DS days in Malaysia, by opening a single official store lol. But yeah primarily thanks to piracy, that store went under. Note that there's multiple factors contributing to that.
Anyway I really wish Nintendo try again here. They should just convert Maxsoft into Nintendo SEA and go on improving that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It took Nintendo fifteen years to figure out Europe so it's no surprise at all whenever they are behind in an emerging market.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Nintendo is actually pretty bad at internationalization in general.

If you look at Sony, they have offices and development studios across the world and development partners in even more countries.

Microsoft isn't quite as aggressive on that front, but they do still make a concerted effort to make an international brand with content from many locations, and we see them have the most success in the regions in which they have the most studios. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try and set up new offices or work with new partners in countries they've struggled with in this generation to try and have more content that is really compelling to the local market.

Nintendo on the other hand is pretty much only Japan and even almost all their development partners are from the region as well. You don't get the sense of a company with strong regional branches helping steer the ship, and rather just localization, distribution, and marketing arms in select markets.

Even quite a few third parties do this better. If we look at companies like EA, Square Enix, Ubisoft, or Sega, you see strong development branches in a variety of regions and their ability to sell software in markets that aren't their headquarters is quite good.

The one thing Nintendo really has going for it is that their development ethos results in a lot of products with global appeal, and their localization arms do have enough sway to make sure the games work with local sensibilities, but you definitely do see a variety of gaps emerge in their line-up as a result of this, and I think this will show most heavily in emerging markets where their competitors are much stronger from the start instead of having a 30 year legacy to try and lean back on. We see Nintendo in Europe have a spotty performance as it stands, so we can see some of the impact of what they have done historically already.

duckroll

Microsoft isn't quite as aggressive on that front, but they do still make a concerted effort to make an international brand with content from many locations, and we see them have the most success in the regions in which they have the most studios. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try and set up new offices or work with new partners in countries they've struggled with in this generation to try and have more content that is really compelling to the local market.

I think this requires some additional perspective. If we're only talking about Microsoft's gaming business as far as development teams and studios go in a vacuum, that might be somewhat true. But Microsoft's primary business is not gaming, and outside of the core territories of US and very initially in Japan, Microsoft's international look has never been to aggressively push game development on a first party basis. Instead they look at it on a whole as part of the company business. In that sense, Microsoft is far more internationally connected than even Sony is. But obviously because Sony's primary consumer business in most regions these days is gaming their efforts are far more visible.

Microsoft's strengths are in having a very strong entrenched business presence in these regions even before the Xbox launched. It's something that isn't as visible to people who don't actually live here, but over the years you can definitely see that it was Sony doing the catch up in terms of retail presence in big malls and departmental stores, promotional deals, direct tie-ups with service providers, local customer support, etc. That sort of stuff is also very valuable, and it can be cheaper and easier for Microsoft to roll out all that because they already have the infrastructure.

In the end of course, content is king, you're right. But that's imo, not for lack of trying, just that MS' gaming brand in general is just less attractive in certain territories. Even in Europe this is the case.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think this requires some additional perspective. If we're only talking about Microsoft's gaming business as far as development teams and studios go in a vacuum, that might be somewhat true. But Microsoft's primary business is not gaming, and outside of the core territories of US and very initially in Japan, Microsoft's international look has never been to aggressively push game development on a first party basis. Instead they look at it on a whole as part of the company business. In that sense, Microsoft is far more internationally connected than even Sony is. But obviously because Sony's primary consumer business in most regions these days is gaming their efforts are far more visible.

Microsoft's strengths are in having a very strong entrenched business presence in these regions even before the Xbox launched. It's something that isn't as visible to people who don't actually live here, but over the years you can definitely see that it was Sony doing the catch up in terms of retail presence in big malls and departmental stores, promotional deals, direct tie-ups with service providers, local customer support, etc. That sort of stuff is also very valuable, and it can be cheaper and easier for Microsoft to roll out all that because they already have the infrastructure.

In the end of course, content is king, you're right. But that's imo, not for lack of trying, just that MS' gaming brand in general is just less attractive in certain territories. Even in Europe this is the case.

Oh, yes, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they weren't on a more general scale.

I was just focusing on the content angle in that I feel that since they're so active in other ways, I could easily see them building upon that for any perceived weaknesses in a way that I really don't imagine Nintendo doing.

Vena

Thanks to both of you for the thorough write-ups!

Nintendo doesn't give a fuck.

Then they need to stat trying if they want to remain relevant in the long term! (Which includes strengthening their internationalization as Nirolak says they lack with more autonomy to NoA/NoE to make products for their markets.)

Hadn't Nintendo started doing things in Singapore recently along the lines of what you mentioned Sony having done with opening a development school for indipendant/young developers? Or is this a different idea? Would seem they've started trying more earnestly but still too slow/too little.

I know that they have a similar (lack of existence, using local third party distros) problem in the eastern block of Europe. I can speak directly for Bulgaria (but its the same pretty much everywhere) where the scenario is much as you laid out for SEA, or was anyway until recently when Nintendo dropped their contracted distributor (who was terrible for the market and consumer anyway). I'm hopeful that they'll be doing as they did with Poland (dropping the old for a new partner and more local representative presence) and get a new distributor with local currency/cards and distributions that actually cares. Right now, its easiest and cheapest for me to simply bring 3DSs/games for my nephews from the states and set them up with NA accounts than to bother with local arms (or the local eShop). A lot of kids want pokemon... very few have legal access to it.

Time to open up that new Nintendo World Store in Sofia! /notreallythough

saichi

Why Canada? ;)

Vena

you can use foreign cards on canadian eshop unlike NA eshop. since before this it's pretty hard to find online eshop code with a reasonable price, but iinm target has started selling those now.

Don't most retailers now sell NA eShop cards as digital codes? That's what I do with my nephews, just buy or tell them to buy digital codes from an American website retailer (Target/Walmart).

Don't most retailers now sell NA eShop cards as digital codes? That's what I do with my nephews, just buy or tell them to buy digital codes from an American website retailer (Target/Walmart).

Just recently. Not sure when it started, but pretty sure not in 2014 or before. Also there's a matter of whether the site easily accepts foreign cards as well. In fact I just knew about it few days after new year. Haven't touched my NA 3DS for a while lol

jnWake

Same thing in South America. Nintendo should put more effort into emerging markets.

Top Bottom