• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2014 (Aug 04 - Aug 10)

I wonder how long before the Vita hits enough of a critical mass that it becomes a widely viable platform, or if it will be able to do so? It's got the otaku audience, but it should be capable of more than that with the way it's stabilized. It may take another price cut or two to reach those audiences though.

i'm always paying attention to japan since it seems that at least for the last couple of decades, the major happenings there dictate what wind up happening in the rest of the world. this has been the only time there's been such a clear difference between first and not-first (3ds and ps4) between the us/europe and japan.

i don't think it's a precursor to us and european gamers accepting mobile games as our lord and savior, but i do believe it's a sign that the traditional console market is on its way out. whatever steals attention away next time will be a killing blow.

I think the pissing match between Sony and EA over subscription services is evidence that everyone knows that platform-agnostic streaming services are where everything is headed. It'll be interesting to see how first parties they hold onto their presence though - they'll fight tooth and nail as long as they can to keep selling some kind of hardware and accessories even if local processing power becomes largely irrelevant - and if things like proprietary controllers will continue to be defining features.

That´s more an excuse for obvious incompetence rather than anything else. Japan is still a relevent market where you can built a 10m-20m userbase and establish new million-selling IPs and it´s also a market that supports several million-selling franchises.
For a home console, good luck with that.

Obvious incompetence has resulted in 10M systems and 30M software units sold in 9 months.

People seem to be under the illusion that it's still the late 90s, and early 2000s. Japan is no longer the power in gaming it once was, it does not have anywhere near the relevance it once had, and the home consoles collectively will be lucky to break 10M combined this generation in the territory.

ohlawd

I'm done, man

sad thing is I'll probably continue buying the games. I don't even like the gameplay in the spinoffs srsly I'm only in for Yomi and Hibari. No way they're making another 2D game. Dudes probably wanted similar performance to SV and this shit's gonna barely crawl to 100k

-Horizon-

I'm done, man

sad thing is I'll probably continue buying the games. I don't even like the gameplay in the spinoffs srsly I'm only in for Yomi and Hibari. No way they're making another 2D game. Dudes probably wanted similar performance to SV and this shit's gonna barely crawl to 100k

Don't you dare abandon your life and hometown ohlawd. Don't you cross that line! D:

duckroll

I wonder how long before the Vita hits enough of a critical mass that it becomes a widely viable platform, or if it will be able to do so? It's got the otaku audience, but it should be capable of more than that with the way it's stabilized. It may take another price cut or two to reach those audiences though.

What sort of critical mass? A widely viable platform for who? Regardless of the number of Vita units out there, software sales remain very limited. There are generally two types of games which sell on the system - multiplayer coop action games, and otaku games. It honestly doesn't look like it is capable of more diverse content.

Why? Well, I guess domestically in Japan the more "general audiences" titles have already found a home on the 3DS and there's no reason why it would suddenly shift to the Vita. For more casual audiences there are tons of mobile games out there which are free and everyone has a phone, so that's not an attractive proposition for developers in that sector to target the Vita either. And if we're looking at more mainstream higher quality core gamer titles, there's still the PS3 in Japan (for now at least), and more importantly outside of Japan the Vita is plain dead, so publishers taking a worldwide view would avoid the platform completely.

I don't really think a price cut will do anything for the general ecosystem of the Vita. It might move more units, but software will remain limited in genres because publishers will play it safe, and who can blame them, there's no reason not to.

Well, it's probably better described as a 'bust'.

ZYbm14A.png

I'm actually surprised that MK8 went up, even if it was a tiny bit.

Darius

Banned
When the 'winning' console is storming away selling faster than anything before and we see these numbers in this territory?

Yeah, I'm thinking Japan is about as relevant as a hamlet in Luxembourg.

Maybe you shouldn´t just look at the numbers, which basically are only a result and not the cause of the situation but also at the release lists. There is a severe lack of appealing content on any console, that´s the main reason for their sales performance.

One of the two is basically supported by one single publisher while on the other everyone seems to play the waiting game, including Sony themselves. I think it´s time to stop making excuses for companies and stop blaming the "evil" market, without a constant stream of software releases you can´t compete, it´s as trivial and simple as this.

No one's blaming the evil market. That's a nonsense strawman.

The market wants what it wants. The value drivers of market segments aren't universal. The Japanese and Western markets have diverged in consumer taste significantly, brought about in part by as noted earlier in the rise of former PC developers on consoles.

It behooves a company, however, to focus on the highest value customers in terms of long term strategic importance, capabilities alignment, significance in terms of market size and profitability. The Japanese market is not that for home consoles.

Investing significantly in the husk that is SCEJ to produce content that will appeal solely to a small, divergent market is a pointless endeavour.

Obvious incompetence has resulted in 10M systems and 30M software units sold in 9 months.

People seem to be under the illusion that it's still the late 90s, and early 2000s. Japan is no longer the power in gaming it once was, it does not have anywhere near the relevance it once had, and the home consoles collectively will be lucky to break 10M combined this generation in the territory.

10 million are still more than most countries besides US and maybe UK. Japan is still an important market for developers. Lets not lose focus just because the Wii U is outselling the PS4.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I find it interesting the Wii U dqx all in edition charted but the Wii version didn't.

Props to YW2 and MK8 has legs. How's the db game doing relative to the first.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
10 million are still more than most countries besides US and maybe UK. Japan is still an important market for developers. Lets not lose focus just because the Wii U is outselling the PS4.
You're missing a key differentiation here.

The software that sells in all those other countries is the same. The software that sells in Japan is different.

If England specifically liked games that were different than every other country, publishers would make minimal effort to make console games for that market either.

10 million are still more than most countries besides US and maybe UK. Japan is still an important market for developers.
For whom? Elaborate.

It's a market into which publishers will certainly release their titles. Take-Two must certainly be pleased with what sales it's done of GTAV in the Japanese market.

But which publishers of global significance are currently thinking, I want my studios designing games first and foremost for the Japanese market. Hint: they're not, because they're designing games for the collective Western audience that comprises the other 90%+ of the global market.

Takao

Banned
One could say that Furyu's sales have been sent to the Lost Dimension ...

I have to wonder if Sony will try to make a Freedom Wars anime. The character art and overall tone fits that kind of venue, and it could provide a nice boost for FW G/2/PS4 thing.

Elfteiroh

MK8 bump, WiiU bump, 3DS on top..

all good stuff
image.php

lol fitting. ;)

But yeah! Good bump for Wii U! Can't wait fir next week.
Youkai Watch 1/2 are still monsters..! L5 really put everything on the table for this series, and it's really paying off. They must now understand Nintendo's love for evergreen titles!

sörine

Banned
Investing significantly in the husk that is SCEJ to produce content that will appeal solely to a small, divergent market is a pointless endeavour.
Japanese developers can still produce software that appeals worldwide, their reach isn't limited to just their own national market. Wasn't that the point of putting Cerny in charge of the 400-person Japan Studio? And we've gotten what, Knack, out of that?

Really I think SCE would be best served by taking OS and media responsibilities out of Japan's hands and let them try to spearhead game development again. Refocus on that and maybe we can get something that resonates everywhere again like we used to with GT or Parappa or whatever.

Tripon

sörine;125200859 said:
Japanese developers can still produce software that appeals worldwide, their reach isn't limited to just their own national market. Wasn't that the point of putting Cerny in charge of the 400-person Japan Studio? And we've gotten what, Knack, out of that?

Really I think SCE would be best served by taking OS and media responsibilities out of Japan's hands and let them try to spearhead game development again. Refocus on that and maybe we can get something that resonates everywhere again like we used to with GT or Parappa or whatever.

Allan Becker is the head of Japan Studios. Mark Cerny was just the director of Knack. Also, he works on a contract basis for Sony, I don't think he's offically an employee of Sony at the moment.

sörine;125200859 said:

But that still wouldn't be investing in SCEJ to make content specifically for the Japanese market, which seems to be what people are suggesting should have been done. That would be investing in SCEJ to attempt to make globally appealing content, which ultimately amounts to content that has Western appeal.

The divergence between the Japanese market's and the Western market's tastes and value drivers is why the system is selling so terribly to begin with. The system is performing very poorly in Japan, and very well everywhere else. I really don't see how this is by accident or incompetence, as opposed to intent, or perhaps more aptly nonchalance. Again, not in the sense that they want to be doing this terribly, but that they simply don't care. They'll sell what they can sell on whatever content does come.
But the strategy, the focus, the investment is on everywhere else, because everywhere else is substantially more important than just Japan.

Also, I don't think Cerny heads Japan Studio? I recall reading a while back that Japan Studio is a complete mess though as at last year, and may still be. And that Allan Becker from Santa Monica was brought in as studio head to try and fix it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yokai Watch 2 still alive and kicking! :)

Shipments should reach 2.5-3 million for Q2 - quite a feat.

Wii U rising is a good sign (cleared inventory shipments from Q1 already), 3DS stabilizing is also good.

Senran Kagura 2: Crimson under-performed; nonetheless, Marvelous AQL got their money.

Opiate

No one's blaming the evil market. That's a nonsense strawman.

The market wants what it wants. The value drivers of market segments aren't universal. The Japanese and Western markets have diverged in consumer taste significantly, brought about in part by as noted earlier in the rise of former PC developers on consoles.

It behooves a company, however, to focus on the highest value customers in terms of long term strategic importance, capabilities alignment, significance in terms of market size and profitability. The Japanese market is not that for home consoles.

I agree with all of this but would add that it would be totally possible that some developer/publisher would serve this market, if it were financially viable. That is, if a game could be made that has the potential to yield a 5% profit off a market of ~10M users, probably someone out there will make that. We see this with the Vita, for instance; it's a small, niche market, but we continue to see support for the platform even to suit Japan's very particular tastes.

So really the problem for Japan's consoles are twofold; first, the market is relatively small, as you state. That isn't enough on its own to prevent development, though, as lots of small markets get served frequently. The other part of the problem is the cost of development; PS4/Xbox One are very expensive to develop for. In theory there is demand for PS4/Xbox One games in Japan, but practically speaking very few companies can make a game that suits the Japanese audience at a reasonable budget on those platforms that allows them to turn a profit.

The example I've used in the past to explain this phenomenon would be jet packs. Jet packs actually exist today. Right now. So why aren't they widespread? Surely a lot of people would like to have them, even if they only have enough fuel for 10-15 km runs, as they do now. Well, the problem is that they cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce, and the market for $10,000+ items is extremely limited. Having a large potential consumer base isn't all that important if the cost to produce the item is simply too high.

As much as I hate to admit this (my favourite gaming franchises are Japanese) its true.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I wish that a lot of Japanese companies who make games for their market realize that there's a hungry, underserved niche of gamers in the west who enjoy unabashedly-Japanese games, and there are even times when this niche generates bigger sales than the consumers at home (such as Ni No Kuni, Zero Escape, and the Neptunia series).

So yeah, I think that Sony should still provide heavy investment in their Japanese software studios - this would do the following:

-serve the niche I mentioned above
-perhaps have the chance to become a mainstream breakout worldwide (PaRappa, Legend of Dragoon)
-diversify their software lineup (there are people who want something a bit different than gritty realistic shooters so prolific on consoles lately)
-get the ball rolling a tad more on Japanese PS4 sales

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

The system will ender its 4th year in a few months. If this famous turnaround was about to happen it should have happened by now.

Frodo

Didn't want to say anything but, Vita TV is absolutely killing it in Japan. It might even reach 200k before it gets discontinued.

prag16

Banned
Will Japanese third parties consider Wii U versions of their games if this level of Wii U's dominance continues during the generation?

Domination, hah.. in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king...

The problem is games like RE7, FF15, and KH3 have always done significant numbers in the west. If PS4's absolute thrashing of the Wii U in the west continues, I doubt PS4's Japanese malaise will be enough for these games to bother making Wii U versions.

Wii U got a decent bump this week and I'm not sure why

3DS holding somewhat well and YW2 sailing past 2M like it's nothing

Vita is not doing too well I'd think for what it is

PS4 is just sad really. I wonder how many weeks until it breaks below 5k

heidern

If there is one time Nintendo needs to make demands, it is this. Don't wait till the hype dies down. This game along with an amiibo line would change Wii u's fortunes easily.

They should probably just buy Level 5(like they should have bought Square back in the day).

I honestly don't know what I think about the dedicated console market. I knew dedicated handhelds would take a pasting, but I figured consoles were sufficiently differentiated. The way mobile tech is steaming on and gaining audiences though, I don't think anything is certain any more.

There's more competition for consumers time. 100 hour $60 games are very much in the firing line outside the hardcore gamer. There may need to be a switch towards $20-$40 console games that are shorter, although I don't know how that can be managed with the way development costs have gone.

So yeah, I think that Sony should still provide heavy investment in their Japanese software studios

Opportunity cost would probably say it's better to invest in western development rather than Japanese development.

None of those.

And who's denying it?
What else could cause the bump. Obon is next week's sales chart. I'm expecting that Dragon Quest caused at least part of the bump as these were probably upgrading from Wii and this pack would be easier than getting them separately. Mario Kart 8 was likely an accessory purchase for these guys as well.

Elfteiroh

What else could cause the bump. Obon is next week's sales chart. I'm expecting that Dragon Quest caused at least part of the bump as these were probably upgrading from Wii and this pack would be easier than getting them separately. Mario Kart 8 was likely an accessory purchase for these guys as well.
Summer vacations. Kids and teens finally having time to play games and going out to spend their money they saved. IMHO.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Considering the Wii version of the same package didn't chart, that could make some sense.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I wonder how long before the Vita hits enough of a critical mass that it becomes a widely viable platform, or if it will be able to do so?.

Never.
Software sales tell the whole story I'm afraid.
Basically every game/genre released outside the usual mold has failed to make a dent on the charts and the situation overseas means publishers need to basically solely account for the local market when picking their horses.

MH Vita is still coming... any time now...

would not be shocked to find out monhun team at capcom has kits for whatever Nintendo has planned to replace the 3DS

Vita sold pretty well on a weekly basis but you hardly see the software chart longer than 2 weeks I wonder what Vitas are used for in Japan

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Mario Kart 8 / Wii U Media Create
Week 22 - 325.892 (-78%) - 19.312
Week 23 - 73.051 / 398.943 (-79%) - 13.766
Week 24 - 42.261 / 441.205 (-42%) - 12.249
Week 25 - 28.112 / 469.316 (-33%) - 10.715
Week 26 - 23.520 / 492.837 (-16%) - 10.653
Week 27 - 19.386 / 512.223 (-18%) - 9.961
Week 28 - 15.143 / 527.366 (-22%) - 8.658
Week 29 - 14.992 / 542.358 (-1%) - 8.209
Week 30 - 18.129 / 560.487 (+21%) - 9.429
Week 31 - 18.067 / 578.554 (+0%) - 9.646
Week 32 - 20.860 / 599.414 (+15%) - 13.598

Mario Kart 8 / Wii U Famitsu
Week 22 - 350.749 - 19.031
Week 23 - 75.030 / 425.779 (-45%) - 12.576
Week 24 - 41.195 / 466.974 (-42%) - 10.366
Week 25 - 25.878 / 492.852 (-37%) - 8.373
Week 26 - 19.615 / 512.467 (-24%) - 9.010
Week 27 - 15.473 / 527.940 (-21%) - 8.020
Week 28 - 14.130 / 542.070 (-9%) - 8.034
Week 29 - 14.068 / 556.138 (+0%) - 7.283
Week 30 - 17.633 / 573.771 (+25%) - 8.623
Week 31 - 20.011 / 593.782 (+13%) - 8.722
Week 32 - 21.654 / 615.436 (+8%) - 11.266

What exactly has been happening since Week 29? Is it seriously just kids getting off for summer break?

Mory Dunz

Mario Kart 8 / Wii U Media Create
Week 22 - 325.892 (-78%) - 19.312
Week 23 - 73.051 / 398.943 (-79%) - 13.766
Week 24 - 42.261 / 441.205 (-42%) - 12.249
Week 25 - 28.112 / 469.316 (-33%) - 10.715
Week 26 - 23.520 / 492.837 (-16%) - 10.653
Week 27 - 19.386 / 512.223 (-18%) - 9.961
Week 28 - 15.143 / 527.366 (-22%) - 8.658
Week 29 - 14.992 / 542.358 (-1%) - 8.209
Week 30 - 18.129 / 560.487 (+21%) - 9.429
Week 31 - 18.067 / 578.554 (+0%) - 9.646
Week 32 - 20.860 / 599.414 (+15%) - 13.598

Mario Kart 8 / Wii U Famitsu
Week 22 - 350.749 - 19.031
Week 23 - 75.030 / 425.779 (-45%) - 12.576
Week 24 - 41.195 / 466.974 (-42%) - 10.366
Week 25 - 25.878 / 492.852 (-37%) - 8.373
Week 26 - 19.615 / 512.467 (-24%) - 9.010
Week 27 - 15.473 / 527.940 (-21%) - 8.020
Week 28 - 14.130 / 542.070 (-9%) - 8.034
Week 29 - 14.068 / 556.138 (+0%) - 7.283
Week 30 - 17.633 / 573.771 (+25%) - 8.623
Week 31 - 20.011 / 593.782 (+13%) - 8.722
Week 32 - 21.654 / 615.436 (+8%) - 11.266

What exactly has been happening since Week 29? Is it seriously just kids getting off for summer break?

It's happening.
giphy.gif

Sleeping Dragon is trying to learn heatwave, but already has 4 moves...

\s

Real answer: dunno.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Kart 8 is having really strong legs, not long ago some were wondering if it was going to catch Mario Kart: Double Dash!! or Mario Kart: Super Circuit. There is no doubt it will easily cross the million mark by the end of the year.

05./05. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 14.068 / 556.138 <80-100%> (+0%)
03./05. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 17.633 / 573.771 <80-100%> (+25%)
03./03. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 20.011 / 593.782 <80-100%> (+13%)
06./03. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 21.654 / 615.436 <80-100%> (+8%)

Some? Almost everyone doubted it would cross the million mark LTD unbundled before its release.

Whipped the PS3 version on a far smaller install base though.

Whipped is not the right word. The game bombed hard on both systems.

Top Bottom