• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2015 (Aug 17 - Aug 23)

maxcriden

Unreal performance for Animal Crossing as a spin-off. I wonder if it will do as well in the West. I'm sure the amiibo cards are helping quite a bit, too.

Splatoon's legs. Wowza. Just. Way better than I anticipated.

Any predictions for how Super Mario Maker will do in JP?

noshten

I think that the PS3 version will sell more than the PS4 one, but I hope i'm wrong

Pretty sure this will not be true.
I don't expect the combined amount to surpass DQH FW, but the PS4 version has a chance to launch with at least 300-350k FW provided there is enough supply. Question is what type of legs can we expect from MG in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What would be considered "big numbers"? Just curious.

Dragon quest heroes, that was more PS3-oriented than MGSV is supposed to be, made the console jump up to 46k Hw-wise in week 9 back in February:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003690

the "baseline" was higher back then (the previous week it sold 24k with minor releases, the week before 21k with even smaller releases and so on). MGSV should be more PS4-oriented, so I'm expecting at least 45k for PS4 HW numbers, if not even higher. It's the biggest release for this year, I think, so I'm expecting it to be fully supported by potential PS4 owners.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Dragon quest heroes, that was more PS3-oriented than MGSV is supposed to be, made the console jump up to 46k Hw-wise in week 9 back in February:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1003690

the "baseline" was higher back then (the previous week it sold 24k with minor releases, the week before 21k with even smaller releases and so on). MGSV should be more PS4-oriented, so I'm expecting at least 45k for PS4 HW numbers, if not even higher. It's the biggest release for this year, I think, so I'm expecting it to be fully supported by potential PS4 owners.

Quoting myself to add, for reference:

1. PS3 - 75,311 | 10,856

This is the week back in June 2008 for the MGSIV release in Japan.
PS3 was trailing similarly to PS4 nowadays, I'd say (the 10.856 number is the week before release). This time the game will be available on both platform, so I'm expecting a smaller hw bump for PS4, but I'd adjust my prediction for the "minimum" I'm expecting, from 45k to 50k MINIMUM for PS4 numbers inlcuidng MGSV debut.

bluedawgs

Banned
So the PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid 5 is now ahead of the PS4 version of Dragon Quest Heroes in the same time frame on COMG, and if you take into account the fact there is a limited edition bundle for the game, you would have to assume that MGS 5 will move more hardware than the Dragon Quest Heroes week, which was 46k without a limited edition bundle. I'm thinking the PS4 sells at least 50k in MGS 5 week.

Vena

So the PS4 version of Metal Gear Solid 5 is now ahead of the PS4 version of Dragon Quest Heroes in the same time frame on COMG, and if you take into account the fact there is a limited edition bundle for the game, you would have to assume that MGS 5 will move more hardware than the Dragon Quest Heroes week, which was 46k without a limited edition bundle. I'm thinking the PS4 sells at least 50k in MGS 5 week.

DQH had a bundle.

mclem

Splatoon won't sell 700K in 2015... Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ will struggle to sell 500K LT

I guess we can put both arguments to rest now.

I think the numbers that were being argued about for Splatoon were much lower than that. It's already left those well in the dust.

Wiggy

Minecraft finally edges it's way over 300,000.

Bloodborne bundle seems to have been a somewhat effective move for Sony during these dry software months, should have been done earlier. They should have made it available in all stores as well, I wonder how many suckers have bought PS4 these past few weeks and missed out on a 'free' game.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's going to be a decent margin ahead of Dragon Quest Heroes' opening week (on PS4) and Dragon Quest's opening week was 269k. So it could be 400k but I'm expecting no less than 350k.

Dragon Quest's opening week at 269k wasn't just opening week in reality

Busaiku

sörine;176592635 said:
They won't lifetime either. Adding Vita too and they should hit near half of total 3DS sales though.
And every system combined through the life of this gen will probably just barely edge by DS.

bluedawgs

Banned
So what will PS4 sell in total this year? Every week is a massive YOY increase and the PS4 is just 200k away from it's total 2014 sales, and September will be huge. I think it could land in the 1.2-1.6 million ballpark.

By the way, the PS4 will sell a lot more this year in Japan than PS3 did in 2008, which was a little over 1 million, good for the PS4!!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Dragon Quest's opening week at 269k wasn't just opening week in reality

Yeah, all trackers counted the DQ download code bundles sold back in December. IIRC, it should be more like 210,000, then (retail only).

Busaiku

So what will PS4 sell in total this year? Every week is a massive YOY increase and the PS4 is just 200k away from it's total 2014 sales, and September will be huge. I think it could land in the 1.2-1.6 million ballpark.
Unless we see massive spikes next week and it holds, it's not gonna come close.

Klossen

Banned

By the way, the PS4 will sell a lot more this year in Japan than PS3 did in 2008, which was a little over 1 million, good for the PS4!!

So PS4 is actually outselling PS3 in a similar time frame? That's sort of...surprising. PS3 must've really struggled in Japan in its first two years.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So PS4 is actually outselling PS3 in a similar time frame? That's sort of...surprising. PS3 must've really struggled in Japan in its first two years.

I think the answer is no: PS3 was launched in Japan around Xmas 2006 (November 2006), so the 2008 was the third year on the market; PS4 was launched in Japan last year, around February, so this is its second year on the market. So, the timeframes don't match.

No, that person is living in Fantasy Land.
PS4 is still tracking behind Wii U.

Well, tbh, that person wasn't lying at all. At week 34, this is the situation YtD:
4. PS3 - 9,020 | 11,393 | 639,404
2. PS4 | 14.495 | 18.503 | 723.365

So, this year the PS4 sold so fare in the first 34 weeks of the year more units than PS3 did in the same amount of weeks back in 2008 in Japan.

sörine

Banned
And every system combined through the life of this gen will probably just barely edge by DS.
Horrifying. Last gen we had 4 platforms over 10m (with one over 20m and another over 30m). This gen we only get one system doing those sorts of numbers, with no others even coming close.

bluedawgs

Banned
Unless we see massive spikes next week and it holds, it's not gonna come close.

Well, it is going to get a massive spike when Metal Gear Solid comes out next week, but there's other games coming for PS4 this year such as Persona, Star Ocean, Hot Shots Golf, but I don't really know what you mean by "it won't come close." Are you saying it won't come close to the minimum I had which was 1.2 million, or the maximum I had which was 1.6 million?

Ryng_tolu

Banned

I predict 1.2-1.25 million PS4 this year.
September: 100-120k
October: 60-80k
November: 80-100k
December: 180-200k

Even accounting for the post-holidays drops, numbers are quite nice. AC and YW keep selling quite well, and show legs. Taiko PSV is not having much legs and sales are quite low - there will likely be another PSV entry next year.

YOY changes:

3DS: -15%
PS4: +0.2%
WIU: +0.2%
PSV: -27%
PS3: -56%

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to try posting up the first part of the Road to TGS this week after the Famitsu stuff finishes leaking.

Was there anything people wanted beyond the following information?

Title, Publisher, Developer, Platforms, Genre, Notes.

Notes would include anything especially notable about the title.

I'm trying to post less of these this year so there's more potential to discuss a large list at a time instead of just 2-3 entries popping up in isolation.

Busaiku

Well, it is going to get a massive spike when Metal Gear Solid comes out next week, but there's other games coming for PS4 this year such as Persona, Star Ocean, Hot Shots Golf, but I don't really know what you mean by "it won't come close." Are you saying it won't come close to the minimum I had which was 1.2 million, or the maximum I had which was 1.6 million?
I said PS4 will sell more in 2015 than PS3 in 2008 bruh
You're right, but the 1.6 million is completely outlandish.
1.2 million isn't crazy, but it has to have big increases that hold through the rest of the year.
It can't really get below 20k again (accounting for spikes with big launches) for this to happen.

bluedawgs

Banned
You're right, but the 1.6 million is completely outlandish.
1.2 million isn't crazy, but it has to have big increases that hold through the rest of the year.
It can't really get below 20k again (accounting for spikes with big launches) for this to happen.

The only reason the 1.6m is there is because every week the PS4 is well over 50% up YOY, and if that continues it could land around there (but it won't, because I don't think PS4 can double what it did in the holiday months)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Sounds about right, maybe September could be a bit higher but we'll see in a few weeks.

I don't know how are the monthly weeks in Japan... Are the same of the US? I know September is a 5 weeks month in the US, 30 August to 2 October.
Is September a 5 weeks month even in Japan?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I predict 1.2-1.25 million PS4 this year.
September: 100-120k
October: 60-80k
November: 80-100k
December: 180-200k

Even accounting for the post-holidays drops, numbers are quite nice. AC and YW keep selling quite well, and show legs. Taiko PSV is not having much legs and sales are quite low - there will likely be another PSV entry next year.

YOY changes:

3DS: -15%
PS4: +0.2%
WIU: +0.2%
PSV: -27%
PS3: -56%

PS4 YtD 2014 (MC numbers): 970.667
So far the YoY increase is not that high (0.2%) but due to launch numbers of last year, I suppose. Recently, since the introduction of Bloodborne code and the announcement of DQXI, it seems to have increased its pace compared to last year. I'd say that a 10% increase is doable, so I tend to agree with the 1.15/1.2 millions as YtD 2015 for PS4, unless Sony will introduce some sort of price cut alongside the Christmas festivities.

About Wii U, YtD 2014 (MC numbers): 618.150
So far the increase is the same as PS4, +0..2%, but the Splatoon launch effectively changed its weekly baseline. Last year's bundles were uneffective in terms of holiday bump: this year one's is actually even worst in terms of actual "economical value", but I think that Wii U's ability to beat its past YtD is baed on the possible Super Mario Maker popularity. If the game will gain momentum, alongside an "evergreen" Splatoon it could lead up to a small YoY increase, anyway probably smaller than the PS4 one, so I'd say that it could end selling around 650k YtD 2015.

Despite it being the only console actually successfull in Japan, 3DS YoY comparison will be the more "tough": last year's YtD was 3.176.525 thanks to the NEW models introduced. I suppose that in a month and a half the YoY comparison will be way worst than the actual - 15%. I think it will probably end around 2 millions YtD 2015, with a drop around 33% or higher.

I imagine a similar drop YoY even for PSVita (1.168.570 YtD 2014, MC numbers), that could end up around 850k YtD 2015 I suppose.

I'm going to try posting up the first part of the Road to TGS this week after the Famitsu stuff finishes leaking.

Was there anything people wanted beyond the following information?

Title, Publisher, Developer, Platforms, Genre, Notes.

Notes would include anything especially notable about the title.

I'm trying to post less of these this year so there's more potential to discuss a large list at a time instead of just 2-3 entries popping up in isolation.

Glad you're doing this for yet another year. Always enjoyed the road to tgs posts. I'm not sure it is too much trouble, but I would love to see a release date category if possible.

Top Bottom