• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

extralite

Monster Hunter Vita was never a real thing. We've had plenty of time now and no information has emerged whatsoever to suggest that it ever existed in even the earliest stages. It never made sense to exist, the 3DS was a significantly better platform choice (and Capcom were never going to take the series multiplat and thereby screw up local multi.) It wasn't a moneyhat.

I'm not even arguing with your position but that's the same bad rhetorics you've used in the past on Tales for example. You shouldn't state something as a fact that you can't prove, however plausible it may appear.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen you this down since you've been banned.

I think early 2013 looks ok and they could easily make it another year or two with a healthy pricedrop.

A pricedrop that would lose them money. Sony knows what the development situation is like and there no reason to drop the price on a system that won't sell without software.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A pricedrop that would lose them money. Sony knows what the development situation is like and there no reason to drop the price on a system that won't sell without software.

Vita is mainly done with off the shelf parts and was built mindful of that so the price will go down rather quickly compared to the PSP.

Your base argument is sound though; they would have dropped the price this year if they could afford it. Next year they pretty much will have to to have any hope of righting the course.

jman2050

Little Big Planet
Ys
Little Battler Experience W
Earth Defense Force 3
Ambition of Nobunaga
Legend of Hereos
Fifa 13
Street Fighter X Tekken
Need for Speed
AC: Liberation
AKB1/153 Love Election

and...?

The highest seller on that list MIGHT be Little Battler.

I think that says everything.

I had it in the list, but Pokemon games ususally come out the last week f September, so I figured it really wasn't 'this time next year'.

My bet is for Sept 26th 2013. BW sequel (a la Johto). 120 new Pokemon, many evos/alt evos, pre-evos of Gen 5 Pokemon. 3D battles and character models (in/out of battle), but maintaining top-down perspective in overworld. New Pokemon announced in Feb for 2013 movie, with new games announced in April, both in Corocoro, naturally.

Sounds very reasonable indeed.

The only other possibility I see is the games launching in June ready for a Western holiday release.

Vita is mainly done with off the shelf parts and was built mindful of that so the price will go down rather quickly compared to the PSP.

Your base argument is sound though; they would have dropped the price this year if they could afford it. Next year they pretty much will have to to have any hope of righting the course.
No hope of them righting the course. It would take a savvy organization to turn things around for the Vita. Such an organization would not have let the Vita get into this mess to begin with. Great piece of kit, but the business plan was fatally flawed from the beginning with the game prices, a delayed launch compared to the competition, and lack of PS Mobile until nearly a year after the system came out. Letting Monster Hunter get away was the icing on the cake.

Now they don't have the money, smarts, or manpower to make it right with the PS4 gearing up for 2013/2014.

Sounds very reasonable indeed.

The only other possibility I see is the games launching in June ready for a Western holiday release.

Indeed - BW2 launched 'early' so 6th Gen may too. Or it took less people to make than the usual 3rd version/wanted to finish DS releases/needed to move BW2 people over to 6th Gen dev due to required dev costs/time/workload.

you forgort the vita savior COD

I sincerely apologise.

Can we now, without hyperbole or ill-will, say the Vita is pretty much done? Such a shockingly poor showing at the Sony conference.

There still seems to be some hope Vita can sit on shelves for another 4 years with a game like Miku coming out every blue moon and the thing selling 10k every other week. I don't really see many retailers going for this but who knows. I don't think MS would have been able to keep 360s stocked without the multiplats from PS3

There still seems to be some hope Vita can sit on shelves for another 4 years with a game like Miku coming out every blue moon and the thing selling 10k every other week. I don't really see many retailers going for this but who knows. I don't think MS would have been able to keep 360s stocked without the multiplats from PS3
Or the wild success in at least one other territory

Beth Cyra

Can we now, without hyperbole or ill-will, say the Vita is pretty much done? Such a shockingly poor showing at the Sony conference.

Done as in removed from shelves? No. Could be like Cube or Saturn.

Done as in a viable platform for leardership in Japan vs 3DS? Without doubt in my mind.

Done as in removed from shelves? No. Could be like Cube or Saturn.

Done as in a viable platform for leardership in Japan vs 3DS? Without doubt in my mind.

The Cube and Saturn both had much bigger support than Vita and Nintendo had million sellers on the cube. I would bet huge money Vita doesn't even get a 500k seller let alone a million. If Nintendo's software sold like crap on Gamecube they would have pulled it earlier and the Saturn lost Sega enough money to lead into their Dreamcast exit.

The Cube and Saturn both had much bigger support than Vita and Nintendo had million sellers on the cube. I would bet huge money Vita doesn't even get a 500k seller let alone a million. If Nintendo's software sold like crap on Gamecube they would have pulled it earlier and the Saturn lost Sega enough money to lead into their Dreamcast exit.

I still think there is a minor chance for vita to be salvaged and what sony is doing right now is a good start to show developers they will do what they can possible to help keep the platform afloat. Hopefully developers will announce some new games exclusive to the platform soon but if it doesn't happen after the first year then it will be a very long and painful generation for the system.

Takao

Banned
Did PSP price drop?

Yeah, it was dropped to 13,000 yen.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen you this down since you've been banned.

I think early 2013 looks ok and they could easily make it another year or two with a healthy pricedrop.

I don't know what to say. I wasn't expecting the world (in fact all I was expecting were ports from the third parties), because I knew that wasn't possible and yet I still left disappointed. The software lineup is poor, and I felt no assurance that SCE intends to ever fix it. The fact they didn't announce a new game themselves is particularly damning. The complete lack of Square Enix, and Konami is a death sentence. While both have lost their luster (maybe as a mirror image to SCE themselves) they were the ones who defined PlayStation hardware, and they're not here.

liger05

So when we should we wait for the big vita news? First it was vita heaven, then E3, then TGS. I don't think there is anyway back now. It will still sell 10k a week with the occasional bump but can't see it doing better than that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Little Big Planet
Ys
Little Battler Experience W
Earth Defense Force 3
Ambition of Nobunaga
Legend of Hereos
Fifa 13
Street Fighter X Tekken
Need for Speed
AC: Liberation
AKB1/153 Love Election
CoD: Vita Edition

and...?

Take a away Ports/Remakes and titles thar are also on PSP and there isnt much left. This wont end well. But it seem like Sony will re-launch they system the upcoming spring - they probably are gathering some releases like SS; PSO2 and God Eater 2 to be launch around that time frame where they plan to drop the systems price.

Still...Vita is pretty much screwed... no FFX HD ? lol SE...

There is basically no big seller on the horizon for this holiday, and the promising new IP is being sent squarely into Monster Hunter territory.

I can't really see a way back.

cw_sasuke

AKB48 is an otaku title. I'd expect that to do "well" on Vita because that fanbase probably are the ones who care for the best quality.

But its also on PSP..we will see how those Vita sales on these multi titles will be.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About 3DS, it's just that some games announced in 2010 are still being released. Or better, many SH released their big guns ( most of them announced 2 years ago) very early. And we've seen new announcements recently, even good announcements saleswise, especially Layton and Shin Megami Tensei IV. While it seems Sega is lacking due to its financial problems, it isn't difficult to foresee many new games from Square Enix being announced in the next months ( dat DQVII remake rumour for example). Namco is already flooding the system with lots of anime adaptations, Capcom has MH4 and Ace Attorney 5, Level 5 has Layton and many things will come, Marvelous is doing amazingly on the platform so no doubt it's developing other games for it. Tecmo Koei is supporting it, already three Musou games released. Konami has Magical's Quest for 2013, too.

I'd say there's nothing to be worried about. At all. It's just that we had a particular coincidence of many big games announced early and released much later in a little time span. The system is doing massively in hardware sales and even better softwarewise. It'll receive a very good support almost all around.

About Vita, instead...there's basically no Fall line-up, damn. But beginning of 2013 isn't terribly bad. There are some games, fortunately. But so many multi / porting releases don't inspire confidence at all.

jman2050

And those are the only relevant titles in Japan (not sure if anyone could cross 100k).

And Sony had the bright idea to delay Soul Sacrifice to launch opposite Monster Hunter 4. That's high comedy. It's like when Namco launched Tales of Graces on the same day as FFXIII, only far worse.

Takao

Banned
But its also on PSP..we will see how those Vita sales on these multi titles will be.

When it's releasing on PSP the same day? The platform where all AKB fans should be now (given the previous titles)? Are they promoting the Vita version in some way?

For kids games like LBX this would be an issue, but like I said. AKB48's fandom are the kind I'd suspect would go full hog to get the best experience.

cw_sasuke

btw. with GE2 going Vita i am still wonderin when the 3DS will get his first bigger MH-type like title announcement... MH switched but PSO2, Soul Sacrifice, GE2, Valhalla Knight 3 are on Vita.

Takao

Banned
btw. with GE2 going Vita i am still wonderin when the 3DS will get his first bigger MH-type like title announcement... MH switched but PSO2, Soul Sacrifice, GE2, Valhalla Knight 3 are on Vita.

Phantasy Star Portable technically hasn't seen a follow up yet.

Orgen

I don't think Sony's going to kill the Vita but its situation isn't pretty by any means.

I want to believe that any game Sony could "get" recently (I'm not talking about MonHun caliber... just Tales of the World caliber) couldn't get a teaser or an announcement at TGS. But I'm pretty sure Marvelous isn't the only developer who has games planned for Vita in 2013.

Right now (very optimistic mode on) we are looking at this:

+300K: Final Fantasy X HD, God Eater 2
+200K: PSO 2, Soul Sacrifice
+100K: Ys, Little Battler W, AKB48, Senran kagura, Valhalla Knights 3, CoD, PS Battle Royale.

Anything I'm forgetting? Is WE2013 announced for Vita?

With this, what could Sony do software wise? (besides "MonHun would save the Vita!!!!")

Personally I'd talk with Namco for a new Tales of (Radiant, Hearts/Tempest remakes or even a Xillia 2 version) and with SE to see the current state of the FF, KH and DQ developments. New installments seem impossible to go for Vita but maybe if SE is doing a KH:HD collection, a new FF/DQ spinoff/remake or even a rare title like Theatrhythm Sony could secure their presence on Vita (exclusive or not).

Then there's L5 and what about Konami? WE is necessary and a Metal Gear spinoff couldn't hurt.

I know most of this seems like wishful thinking but Namco isn't making only Xillia 2, SE isn't making only FF XIV, Lightning and Versus and Konami isn't making only Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. Sony must know what's next and they need to secure some new titles for Vita because if there isn't a PS4 in 2013 they'll face the year with PSP/PS3 declining more and Vita nearly dead.

hiska-kun

+100K: Ys, Little Battler W, AKB48, Senran kagura, Valhalla Knights 3, CoD, PS Battle Royale.

I would've said: SUPER very optimistic mode on.

Valhalla Knights 3 100k?? o_O
YS, LBXW as well???

I don't think Sony's going to kill the Vita but its situation isn't pretty by any means.

I want to believe that any game Sony could "get" recently (I'm not talking about MonHun caliber... just Tales of the World caliber) couldn't get a teaser or an announcement at TGS. But I'm pretty sure Marvelous isn't the only developer who has games planned for Vita in 2013.

Anything I'm forgetting? Is WE2013 announced for Vita?

With this, what could Sony do software wise? (besides "MonHun would save the Vita!!!!")

Personally I'd talk with Namco for a new Tales of (Radiant, Hearts/Tempest remakes or even a Xillia 2 version) and with SE to see the current state of the FF, KH and DQ developments. New installments seem impossible to go for Vita but maybe if SE is doing a KH:HD collection, a new FF/DQ spinoff/remake or even a rare title like Theatrhythm Sony could secure their presence on Vita (exclusive or not).

Then there's L5 and what about Konami? WE is necessary and a Metal Gear spinoff couldn't hurt.

I know most of this seems like wishful thinking but Namco isn't making only Xillia 2, SE isn't making only FF XIV, Lightning and Versus and Konami isn't making only Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. Sony must know what's next and they need to secure some new titles for Vita because if there isn't a PS4 in 2013 they'll face the year with PSP/PS3 declining more and Vita nearly dead.
Very optimistic may be an understatement for some of those.

As for the rest, Tales is now on PS3 and that's where it will stay if Namco does not go retarded again. They apparently planned a Hearts remake for the Vita, but we have not heard anything about that after the hint we got from Innocence.
Dragon Quest (in any form) will go to the 3DS, no doubt about it, and I'm sure SE is done with KH experiments for now. SE could plan some FF remake shenanigans, but after seeing how they can't even get FFXHD done I wont hold my breath. FFVr or Tactics A3 for 3DS seem like some of the more obvious/safe things to do, and even that is nowhere to be seen.
Level 5 will focus on 3DS if they know what's good for them and Konami just announced a new MGS and a bunch of other MGS related stuff that is not on Vita . After Peace Walker I don't see them going all out on a handheld game again.

I really don't see any 3rd party publisher taking the initiative, because there's no good reason to do so.

+300K: Final Fantasy X HD, God Eater 2 While FFX HD might reach such figures (well, if it exists), God Eater 2 on Vita may struggle compared to the PSP version; it's more a 200k title, imo.
+200K: PSO 2, Soul Sacrifice There's no way PSO2 is going to do 200k. SS is an unknown, but if it's pushed, it may do ok.
+100K: Ys, Little Battler W, AKB48, Senran kagura, Valhalla Knights 3, CoD, PS Battle Royale. CoD and Battle Royale 100k in Japan? Senran Kagura does barely 100k on 3DS, there's no way is going to do the same on Vita. Valhalla Knights never reached the 100k mark on PSP, as well as Ys. LBX W and AKB are the only that could do so well, but that's not a bet too, since they're shared with PSP.

That's too optimistic!

I think Tales of producer said there's nothing on Vita in working; as for SE, I think FFX HD is the FF thing on Vita, while DQ is locked elsewhere. A KH may appear, but that'd be shared with PS3 for sure (either a collection or III).

I don't see why Level-5 should risk on Vita, actually. It's shifting its fanbase on 3DS, and even a PSP IP as LBX is doing incredibly well on that platform. A MGS spin-off could be likely, but not anytime soon, with Ground Zeroes in work, and all that mobile / social stuffs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Valhalla Knights at 100k? It's VERY optimistic

[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2 (Marvelous Entertainment) - 34.562 / 89.004 / 38,83% 29/05/08
[PSP] Valhalla Knights (Marvelous Entertainment) - 14.089 / 64.506 / 21,84% 31/08/06
[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 13.588 / 23.079 / 58,88% 25/06/09
[WII] Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga (Marvelous Entertainment) - 4.677 / 4.677 / 100,00% 08/10/09

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

to be honest, it was a reality long before yesterday. Maybe if they massively and I say massively price drop it, and its a maybe

Top Bottom