• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2015 (Aug 31 - Sep 06)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm amazed by the strenght of the PS environment communicated by this conf.
Many, many many many games, various smart "psenvironment" projects, some very good exclusive stuff, almost all the third party on board (where is Level5?), price cut...

I think that those "bold" predictions a user (sorry, don't remember the name!) made about PS4 2016 sales are more possible today.

I just hate capcom for that horrible Umbrella spinoff ;p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought the conference was okay.

There wasn't much in the way of surprises, but it felt like a platform that had third party support.

If anyone wasn't clear that Sony was done with the Vita, they should be by now.

As for individual publishers:

Sega's big new game was even more Yakuza, and (as expected) Vanillaware's title looked like it was presumably a Dragon's Crown esque thing.

Capcom has clearly moved entirely into service games. A multiplayer competitive shooter for Resident Evil's 20th anniversary totally fits with that. I wouldn't expect big campaign based games from them anymore, especially if they're not structured like something like Monster Hunter.

Bandai Namco's showing was horrid. Jesus.

Koei Tecmo has been showing more strength than usual. They can definitely taste the blood in the water and want some more market share.

Square Enix's showing was fine, especially combined with E3. In general the message is they're putting out a whole bunch of games of various sizes again and taking advantage of the weakness of their competitors. Setsuna definitely looks like a Bravely Default replacement to me in terms of fitting the old school RPG idea.

Spike Chunsoft similarly seems to want more marketshare a la Koei Tecmo, but they're not quite as well financed, so it's slow going.

Sony themselves continues to be a company that overwhelmingly puts out smaller to mid-tier titles as far as Japan goes. I don't think many expected otherwise though.

The price cut should help the PS4, but I'm still skeptical on it being a big success. I still view it as a platform with potential somewhere between the Vita and PS3, probably around the midpoint of their final LTDs.

Vena

The price cut should help the PS4, but I'm still skeptical on it being a big success. I still view it as a platform with potential somewhere between the Vita and PS3, probably around the midpoint of their final LTDs.

They went with the small cut as per the uncertain discussion earlier, so the impact will be less (also we'll have to wait and see if this serves as a longterm boost or simple momentary kick as many drops do for generally weak to market products). The bigger problem I see is the continued lack of confidence in it as a sole platform well into 2016 with this conference. More PS3 and Vita cross development.

Rymuth

Capcom has clearly moved entirely into service games. A multiplayer competitive shooter for Resident Evil's 20th anniversary totally fits with that. I wouldn't expect big campaign based games from them anymore, especially if they're not structured like something like Monster Hunter.
And people were wondering why they needed Sony for SFV. smh.

Koei Tecmo has been showing more strength than usual. They can definitely taste the blood in the water and want some more market share.
For sure. To think that I would live to see Koei Tecmo of all Devs move in to fill voids left by Capcom for Survival Horror (Ni-Oh) and Monster Hunting (Toukiden)...I'm having a hard time processing this.

Square Enix's showing was fine, especially combined with E3. In general the message is they're putting out a whole bunch of games of various sizes again and taking advantage of the weakness of their competitors..
They seem to have found their footing, at last, which is the second reason I was looking forward to this TGS. I wanted to see some more of that E3 swagger.

crinale

There wasn't much in the way of surprises, but it felt like a platform that had third party support.

Sega's big new game was even more Yakuza, and (as expected) Vanillaware's title looked like it was presumably a Dragon's Crown esque thing.

Square Enix's showing was fine, especially combined with E3. In general the message is they're putting out a whole bunch of games of various sizes again and taking advantage of the weakness of their competitors. Setsuna definitely looks like a Bravely Default replacement to me in terms of fitting the old school RPG idea.

Spike Chunsoft similarly seems to want more marketshare a la Koei Tecmo, but they're not quite as well financed, so it's slow going.

Sony themselves continues to be a company that overwhelmingly puts out smaller to mid-tier titles as far as Japan goes. I don't think many expected otherwise though.

Pretty much, although some third parties still think PS Vita (and even 3) are viable platform. For example price of Dragon Quest Builders is quite telling..

i still think that the "PS4 killer apps" are still too far away. This 2 year lull has really decimated its chances in Japan. I also expect some of these showings to jump to NX if given the chance

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yakuza 6 ditching the PS3 (probably with some incentivizing from Sony) is going to be an interesting experiment.

Even more interesting if it comes on NX too!
Never going to happen, but Fall release would fit with a possile Q4 2016 release for NX

Mpl90

Pretty much, although some third parties still think PS Vita (and even 3) are viable platform. For example price of Dragon Quest Builders is quite telling..

Wait, what's DQB's price?

Found it

layStation 4:7,800円+税
PlayStation 3:6,800円+税
PlayStation Vita:5,980円+税

...the PS4 version's price. Are they serious?

duckroll

I think the conference was a good showing for Sony in a "hey Japan isn't completely dead, and we still have both console and portable games coming out through 2016, and some of them aren't even that niche!" way. It's a good positive along with the price drop. But not like, outstanding or anything. I'm also somewhat fascinated at how the "buy old game with new demo" thing seems to be really catching on. They should stick a Gravity Daze 2 demo in Gravity Daze PS4 too. :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Pretty much, but PS4 was looking worse than PSVita, last year: being now able to be seen as a potential better product for the Japanese market is something, I'd say.
About Vita: dead for Sony, but the incoming games show how good Sony was in creating this environment, imho, with all the PS3/4/Vita games.

Good showing overall for Sony. Outside a few games, nothing unexpected from the PS ecosystem: Koei games (new IP, yay!), Yakuza, some niche jRPGs. Sony completely dropped PSV it seems so 2016 might look a bit bleak because I don't see SaGa and World of FF gaining much traction.

crinale

Pretty much, but PS4 was looking worse than PSVita, last year: being now able to be seen as a potential better product for the Japanese market is something, I'd say.
About Vita: dead for Sony, but the incoming games show how good Sony was in creating this environment, imho, with all the PS3/4/Vita games.

Yeah I already posted to conference thread too but things are really looking up after Sony's TGS2014 conference. If you list all games announced since then and tell anyone before that no one will believe you.

Good showing overall for Sony. Outside a few games, nothing unexpected from the PS ecosystem: Koei games (new IP, yay!), Yakuza, some niche jRPGs. Sony completely dropped PSV it seems so 2016 might look a bit bleak because I don't see SaGa and World of FF gaining much traction.

Yeah pretty much this. IMHO Dragon Quest Builder's is the next (and the last) big seller for Vita, then it will go post-MH PSP mode (it will last quite long though). DR3 will sell more on Vita and may sell well for what it is, but actual number may be not that spectacular.
Gundam Force may sell decently too (again nothing mind-blowing I'm expecting).

Scum

andeverythingwasrunningonUE4andUnity5.jpg

NCL will do well to ensure that these two prominent engines run well on 'Project NX'.

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of surprises, actually.

Sony's showing was re-confirmation of Gravity Rush 2 and Hot Shots Golf, alongside Bloodbourne DLC. Nothing too out of the ordinary there (and nothing new, really).

Sony consoles are getting Koei Tecmo support; Bamco support; SEGA support; Squeenix support etc. Nothing out of the ordinary though, except maybe Yakuza 6 PS4 exclusive (but it was going to happen anyway) and Ni-Oh resurfacing.

And Vita was basically ignored but is still getting lots of PS Ecosystem games.

Still enjoyed it, but nothing mind blowing like I had hoped.

Another thing was quite clear: niche publishers are flowing towards PS4 forecasting the absence of Sony in the handheld space - e.g. Spike Chunsoft with Dangaronpa, and the same is happening for those IPs that were typically on PSV, such as Toukiden. While I can see a niche flourishing on PS4, it's hard to see hunting action games selling as well as on handheld.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Another thing was quite clear: niche publishers are flowing towards PS4 forecasting the absence of Sony in the handheld space - e.g. Spike Chunsoft with Dangaronpa, and the same is happening for those IPs that were typically on PSV, such as Toukiden. While I can see a niche flourishing on PS4, it's hard to see hunting action games selling as well as on handheld.

and this tell us something aout how Nintendo is missing an opportunity (Nintendo missing third party opportunities? Oh dear, what a news! :D )
Because I agree with you, but I'd say that for "nich" Japanese products going "full home console mode" is somehow riskier than going "from Vita to 4DS". Especially if the hypotesis of a "NX" shared environment (à la PS environment) would be real.

I'm kinda surprised at the lack of surprises, actually.

Sony's showing was re-confirmation of Gravity Rush 2 and Hot Shots Golf, alongside Bloodbourne DLC. Nothing too out of the ordinary there (and nothing new, really).

Sony consoles are getting Koei Tecmo support; Bamco support; SEGA support; Squeenix support etc. Nothing out of the ordinary though, except maybe Yakuza 6 PS4 exclusive (but it was going to happen anyway) and Ni-Oh resurfacing.

And Vita was basically ignored but is still getting lots of PS Ecosystem games.

Still enjoyed it, but nothing mind blowing like I had hoped.

Bet you did not expect RE Umbrella Chronicles.

crinale

and this tell us something aout how Nintendo is missing an opportunity (Nintendo missing third party opportunities? Oh dear, what a news! :D )
Because I agree with you, but I'd say that for "nich" Japanese products going "full home console mode" is somehow riskier than going "from Vita to 4DS". Especially if the hypotesis of a "NX" shared environment (à la PS environment) would be real.

Well if you looked DR3's showing closely and know Japanese it was really clear they won't (or to be more exact, they can but it won't be a good business opportunity, they mentioned Nintendo within the trailer lol) release not only niche but rather "controversial" games to Nintendo environment. You must remember soccer moms in Japan are ones who buy games to kids, not kids themselves..

From this stand point of view, Nintendo may be better stay current position "as is", because they've been spending tremendous effort to look classy and "safe" in front of those mom's eyes'. Back in NES-SNES days every genre were mixed and some games did spark controversies, so if Nintendo go back to that route they may gain third party support but may repel their current biggest customer too..

Another Cardfight game announced for 3DS. FuRyu.

Thanks. This should sell around 50k units.

There are some publishers that are closer to Sony, and some publishers that are closer to Nintendo - this should be clear at this point; some of them are sticking to one hardware manufacturer no matter what (it was clear when some companies were not developing on DS, and some companies were basically ignoring PSP). Dangaronpa was born on PSP, and eventually came out on PSV as well - the logical choice is to bring the franchise on PS4, because of the sharing environment, and also because it is more reasonable to think that PS4 and PSV userbases overlap somehow, and when PSV is no more around, there are some players left on PS4.

The hardware ecosystem is a smart move in terms of quantity of games produced for each system, but we have yet to witness tangible advantages for manufacturers. Pick the last PS3/PSV - PS3/PS4/PSV - PS4/PSV releases, and you can see that platforms are not usually adding up sales but more hold numbers constant across iterations during the transition phase from PS3 to PS4. In sum, the Sony ecosystem is a great way to transition userbases from one hardware to the other one as long as one of them (PSV in this case) is going to die soon and Sony wants to move everything on PS4.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wonder why they don't cut the price during Metal Gear Solid V released, that's would be a insane week for PS4.

with Wii U revivaltoon, PS4 price drop and NX just around the corner 2016 is the year of home console !!!

And 3DS will still sell more than all other console...

Fisico

Yeah pretty much this. IMHO Dragon Quest Builder's is the next (and the last) big seller for Vita, then it will go post-MH PSP mode (it will last quite long though). DR3 will sell more on Vita and may sell well for what it is, but actual number may be not that spectacular.
Gundam Force may sell decently too (again nothing mind-blowing I'm expecting).

Asides from Gravity Daze 2 skipping the platform, which was to be expected, it was a slightly better showing than I expected for Vita, Setsuna confirmed to be PSV/PS4, an exclusive Gundam Extreme VS, Saga staying PSV only (I was expecting it to turn PS4/PSV) and the multiplat games Toukiden 2 / World of FF / DQ Builders / DQH II / One Piece Burning Blood / Dangan Ronpa 3 / Exist Archive / Miku / 13 Sentinels / God Eater Resurection

Most, if not all, will sell better on Vita and will be in the 100-500k range, for a dead console it's already a very strong showing for 2016, it probably won't increase the hardware sales that much as most of the games are targeting an already existing userbase, but as a Vita owner I sure am happy to see that kind of support from third party publishers.

Yeah, I don't quite understand why Koei seem to be pushing Toukiden as a console IP while Vita winds down. The abysmal performance of the PS4 version of Kiwami doesn't seem to have put them off (and my understanding is that the game barely did anything in the west too).

re. niche devs, I feel like most of them were already invested in PS4. If you like at some of the ones that are even smaller than Spike Chunsoft (i.e. Compile Heart; NIS), they're developing for Vita with spin-offs and smaller titles but their more mainstream stuff (e.g. mainline Neptunia games; Witch & Hundred Knight 2 etc.) were already planned for PS4.

crinale

Asides from Gravity Daze 2 skipping the platform, which was to be expected, it was a slightly better showing than I expected for Vita, Setsuna confirmed to be PSV/PS4, an exclusive Gundam Extreme VS, Saga staying PSV only (I was expecting it to turn PS4/PSV) and the multiplat games Toukiden 2 / World of FF / DQ Builders / DQH II / One Piece Burning Blood / Dangan Ronpa 3 / Exist Archive / Miku / 13 Sentinels / God Eater Resurection

Most, if not all, will sell better on Vita and will be in the 100-500k range, for a dead console it's already a very strong showing for 2016, it probably won't increase the hardware sales that much as most of the games are targeting an already existing userbase, but as a Vita owner I sure am happy to see that kind of support from third party publishers.

Well that's why I've also stated Vita will have rather long life too :D As I posted above if third party want to makes games that may provoke some parents with kids Vita is pretty much the only place to go, if budget can't justify PS4 port.

Depending on how things pan out next year, I wouldn't be too confident about SaGa staying a Vita exclusive. Especially if they have any plans on releasing it outside of Japan. It's probably "staying" a Vita title now because they don't have anything to show yet so there's no point announcing anything else. Based on job recruitment stuff, it's made in Unity.

While I agree with this generally, it's worth noting Kawano actualy plead Matsuda to make this PS4 game and got rejected (I think he admitted during the reveal stream). That's why it was announced as the Vita game.

duckroll

Depending on how things pan out next year, I wouldn't be too confident about SaGa staying a Vita exclusive. Especially if they have any plans on releasing it outside of Japan. It's probably "staying" a Vita title now because they don't have anything to show yet so there's no point announcing anything else. Based on job recruitment stuff, it's made in Unity.

While this is nice for the sony environment, I really think some pubs are locking themselves out of the healthiest market there is. Going from PSV/PS3 to PS4 is leaving the handheld market behind.

I understand that they already have a loyal user base that makes their games profitable in the Sony Ecosystem, but releasing spinoffs-remakes on 3DS to try to diversify from consoles would be in their best interests.

You said basically everything that I had in mind after the conference.

I am also surprised at how Sony is trying to push Gravity Rush series. While it is good for us, I never expected the sequel to go open world. Hopefully it pays off in the long run.

While this is nice for the sony environment, I really think some pubs are locking themselves out of the healthiest market there is. Going from PSV/PS3 to PS4 is leaving the handheld market behind.

I understand that they already have a loyal user base that makes their games profitable in the Sony Ecosystem, but releasing spinoffs-remakes on 3DS to try to diversify from consoles would be in their best interests.

The comapnies that going PSV/PS3 to PSV \ PS4 most likely want overseas sales .
If they want to do a smaller game and don't care about overseas sales mobile is the better platform not 3DS.

sörine

Banned
The comapnies that going PSV/PS3 to PSV PS4 most likely want overseas sales .
If they want to do a smaller game and don't care about overseas sales mobile is the better platform not 3DS.
3rd party 3DS games seem to be performing well in general overseas though. Capcom, Atlus, Square Enix, Spike Chunsoft, Level 5, Sega, Bandai Namco and others have all been succeeding on the platform.

From the Sony TGS thread

http://www.jp.playstation.com/tgs/games/01.html

Sony listed Final Fantasy Adventure for PSVita as their TGS booth showing.
I knew they didn't just show everything at the conference.
(It does say Final Fantasy Gaiden - Seiken Densetsu -, so I assume it's not the mobile game they currently have).

Edit: Well SE may have been preparing this as the surprise so Sony may take it down from the website lol.
It could be a mistake as well.

sörine;178881965 said:
3rd party 3DS games seem to be performing well in general overseas though. Capcom, Atlus, Square Enix, Spike Chunsoft, Level 5, Sega, Bandai Namco and others have all been succeeding on the platform.

Indeed. Marvelous is also getting nice sales from abroad - Story of Season was their fastest-selling game; Rune Factor 4 sold a lot according to their expectations and at least the first Senran Kagura sold according to expectations.

thefro

We don't really have the full picture until we see what Nintendo does with the NX.

If it's what we've been speculating about, you could easily see a lot of games for PSV/PS4/NX and PS4/NX. It would be the equivalent in the Japanese market of the PS4/XB1 ports of everything in the West.

Mpl90

One Piece fighting game seems to be utilizing the same engine as J Star Victory Vs.

Yeah, I had the same impression. Or, at least, the gameplay is very similar.

Btw, is there a comprehensive recap of what showed in the Conference? In order to separate new infos from brand new announcements.

Spiegel

I can't believe Bandai Namco, Tecmo Koei and Square Enix are still announcing exclusives and multiplatform games on Vita and Sony hasn't announced a new game for the system in over two years.

It's so bizarre.

duckroll

One Piece fighting game seems to be utilizing the same engine as J Star Victory Vs.

Yeah, I had the same impression. Or, at least, the gameplay is very similar.

Btw, is there a comprehensive recap of what showed in the Conference? In order to separate new infos from brand new announcements.

I dunno who made the J Star Victory VS game, but a little casual research shows that Burning Blood is developed by the Spike team which made the DBZ Tenkaichi series for Bandai Namco.

Top Bottom