• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

Sandfox

In order to keep that audience, they would have needed to create an action-based title designed with co-op in mind again. As a consumer, while I'd like to see them succeed wildly, what's most important (to me) is that they make great games that I actually want to play (unlike Resident Evil 6). Given that the free upcoming DLC is more action-oriented and features a series veteran, I think they realize that part of their audience wasn't catered to.

It's a balancing act. My biases are inevitably going to come into play, so while someone may lambaste Capcom for failing to release another 5 or 6 while citing a steep decline in sales, I'm willing to look at it as a lower budget release that satisfies my love of the series' roots, which also managed to sell solidly, all things considered. With enough time on the market as their previous two titles, we can hope that it has a decent enough tail to bring it closer in sales and provide more incentive to develop another similar title.

Did it set the world on fire? No. Did it cater to fans of action games and co-op? No. Has it sold well enough on a lower budget? Sure. Was it a critical success? Yes. Can it continue to sell with complete editions/DLC and price cuts? Hopefully.

The game recouped its budget, but I kinda feel like saying RE7 sold well enough is questionable when it failed to meet Capcom's expectations and has pretty much had no legs.

The game recouped its budget, but I kinda feel like saying RE7 sold well enough is questionable when it failed to meet Capcom's expectations and has pretty much had no legs.

What were the expectations based on, though? Pre-order interest? Past sales? Demo downloads? A title can fail to meet a set expectation and still be said to have sold "well enough." They were 500k shy of their expectations, but they're banking on the DLC, Gold Edition, and long-term discounts/re-releases to push the sales figure up — like their previous games.

I'm thinking the same, Odyssey might be tight but it'll do it

I think being on a handheld and being bundled during the holiday will help it a lot.

For reference, Super Mario 3D Land sold over a million by the end of 2011 and it launched November 3rd, and it wasn't bundled (as far as I know).

casiopao

What were the expectations based on, though? Pre-order interest? Past sales? Demo downloads? A title can fail to meet a set expectation and still be said to have sold "well enough." They were 500k shy of their expectations, but they're banking on the DLC, Gold Edition, and long-term sales/re-releases to push the sales figure up — like their previous games.

Expectations of course is based by Capcom own lofty sales expectations.

I mean, sure they probably would be able to hit that 500k in the future with multiple rereleases.

But all in all, i would said that it had failed Capcom target as it not only failed to reach their target, it also is a huge decline in sales for the series.

Capcom better hope that the good review and word of mouth will help RE8 sold better there as customer which had leave would be harder to bring back again.

Expectations of course is based by Capcom own lofty sales expectations.

I mean, sure they probably would be able to hit that 500k in the future with multiple rereleases.

But all in all, i would said that it had failed Capcom target as it not only failed to reach their target, it also is a huge decline in sales for the series.

Capcom better hope that the good review and word of mouth will help RE8 sold better there as customer which had leave would be harder to bring back again.

Relative to the game's budget is what I'm getting at. The game's development cost was recouped at 2.5 million shipped, so while 4 million may have been their set expectation, not reaching that figure doesn't mean it didn't sell well enough to consider it at least a marginal success. It's disappointing that it hasn't shown a great tail thus far and, of course, the move away from the action/co-op of the previous two titles meant it'd have a smaller audience, but it isn't a financial black hole or failure. They'll add additional sales when the new edition and DLC releases.

Well I picked up a switch in my semi rural area. They had about 5 on the shelf (waiting to be picked up) and it seems like it took them about a month to get a shipment.

casiopao

Relative to the game's budget is what I'm getting at. The game's development cost was recouped at 2.5 million shipped, so while 4 million may have been their set expectation, not reaching that figure doesn't mean it didn't sell well enough to consider it at least a marginal success. It's disappointing that it hasn't shown a great tail thus far and, of course, the move away from the action/co-op of the previous two titles meant it'd have a smaller audience, but it isn't a financial black hole or failure. They'll add additional sales when the new edition and DLC releases.

I never said that the product is not profitable there.

A product can be profitable but still provide a dissapointing result.

Lets said Splatoon 2 only did 5 million WW. It sure is profitable for sure but it also is a dissapointing result as Splatoon 2 had much much bigger chance of doing much better.

So that can be a dissapointing effort.

Hmm. So here's their options:

Release MHW on PS4/XB1/PC - it'll sell much less in Japan than MH4, but has the potential to sell much more overseas, attracting a new demographic to the IP.

or

Release MHW on 3DS - it would be a completely different game and certain to underperform in every region, missing all kinds of development goals in the process.

or

Release MHW on Switch - This platform did not exist over a year ago let alone in 2014 when development of World began.

Not sure what they could do differently.

Or have the Portable/X team work on a port of Worlds?

Kimawolf

So is Capcom betting the farm that MHW just blows up beyond expectations? I can't imagine selling as much as the previous games will be good enough when they are investing heavily in HD for this go round.

so if it doesn't meet expectations, pulls a SFV, what happens to Capcom?

So is Capcom betting the farm that MHW just blows up beyond expectations? I can't imagine selling as much as the previous games will be good enough when they are investing heavily in HD for this go round.

They are fucked lol.

I mean MH is their bread and butter.

They go the way of Square Soft.

Do Revelaitons 1 and 2 even matter? Apparently, they don't even run at 60 FPS despite being, respectively, a 3DS upport and a port of a budget game that ran on the Vita. They are very late ports of games that have been released on every platform, and it's not like they were sales juggernauts on those. I expect nothing and Capcom shouldn't either. It seems like they're just scraping the bottom of the barrel to find games they can port using the fewest resources possible. I'm still waiting for Gaist Crusher Switch ver. because it must be down there next to E.X. Troopers.

Toxi

Banned

Portable rerelease, as is tradition with the series.

If that doesn't work, oh well, too bad, Capcom's dead.

Aters

They go the way of Square Soft.

Not really. Capcom have several titles under performed, but that doesn't mean they are losing money. Their last year financial report has some pretty numbers. I want to point out that Capcom is very smart with their budget. RE7 under performed, yes, but that game is cheap to make so Capcom can still make a profit out of it. This is not how Square Soft operated. Square always went all in and gambled for the best result. Capcom is in trouble, but it's a slow, painful process, not the way Square went out.

I mean just look at MHW. I'd say the graphic fidelity of that game is lower than your usual AAA games, and Capcom is far away from "throwing everything into MHW".

Ōkami

DKYb1TJVAAA0k3z.jpg

Attack on Titan 2 platforms.

Depending on when this and Persona come out we should be looking at the last major-ish Vita game.

As in >50k.

Do Revelaitons 1 and 2 even matter? Apparently, they don't even run at 60 FPS despite being, respectively, a 3DS upport and a port of a budget game that ran on the Vita. They are very late ports of games that have been released on every platform, and it's not like they were sales juggernauts on those. I expect nothing and Capcom shouldn't either. It seems like they're just scraping the bottom of the barrel to find games they can port using the fewest resources possible. I'm still waiting for Gaist Crusher Switch ver. because it must be down there next to E.X. Troopers.

It's getting the year 1 we expected this thing to bomb treatment.

L~A

Ōkami;249728208 said:
DKYb1TJVAAA0k3z.jpg

Attack on Titan 2 platforms.

Depending on when this and Persona come out we should be looking at the last major-ish Vita game.

As in >50k.

See? Told y'all so.

@ Okami: nah, expecting PS4 and Switch to feast on the PSV sales potential here.

Sadly, not expecting the Switch to help compensate the expected drop in sales.

They are very late ports of games that have been released on every platform, and it's not like they were sales juggernauts on those. I expect nothing and Capcom shouldn't either. It seems like they're just scraping the bottom of the barrel to find games they can port using the fewest resources possible. I'm still waiting for Gaist Crusher Switch ver. because it must be down there next to E.X. Troopers.

Obviously not, because if they were, Okami HD would be on the Switch.

L~A

That, Blue Reflection and Warriors All-Stars I believe.

He's talking about upcoming games yet to be released in Japan. I honestly doubt they'll bother with porting those two titles (maybe All-Stars, but I think they have announced enough Musou ports for now, ha ha).

Cerium

We live in a world where it feels like Switch has a better shot at The Evil Within 2 than it does at Resident Evil 7.

It's a business for these publishers, but fans view these things through an emotional lens. There are a lot of people who feel that Capcom's treatment of the platform goes beyond negligence and incompetence and borders on malice.

No doubt better support is somwhere in the pipeline, but Capcom shouldn't count on fans being eager to take any more of their tests.

Toxi

Banned
No doubt better support is in the pipeline, but Capcom shouldn't count on fans being eager to take any more tests when other third parties are starting to step up.
I mean, you say that, but then people are upset Capcom didn't localize a port of an updated rerelease of a Monster Hunter game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really think some people should slow down with the MHW paranoia. First off the game looks absolutely fantastic and Capcom was always going to give the series another shot on the big console market...its common sense unless you think any publisher can justify staying 3DS/handheld only when all their other IPs are already on those systems. Even SE and DQ went the PS4 route even when 3DS only would have been viable as well.

What irks me the most is that we know that Switch will get a MH game down the line and Capcom won't abandon the portable market. Everything they provide for MHW in terms of mechanism and streamlining will be the foundation of a 5th gen Switch title. So no matter how you spin it, it's a win/win situation.

Pre-Switch launch and MHW unveiling most people expected MHXX to get a Switch HD port and that a exclusive MH Switch title will follow down the line... That's likely still the case, nothing has changed on that front besides the fact that owners of PS/Xbox/PC get to eat now as well - that's a big market no publisher with a million selling IP can ignore.

The one thing that Capcom didn't handle well was the western MHXX Switch announcement - there would be a bit less poison to throw around if they didn't sacrifice everything here just to maximize MHW sales early next year. I get why they are doing I but obv. they are kinda shitting on parts the audience that kept MH going the last couple years in the west.

PS. Cool to see AoT2 on Switch - hope it will be a good version. KT has been a good supporter so far.

Toxi

Banned
Wait. Why shouldn't they be?
They should. But that's the sort of half-assed "test" that the poster was talking about.

So if we got XX on Switch outside Japan, would people then be complaining about how we didn't get the "real" Monster Hunter on Switch?

We live in a world where Fallout 4 is more likely on Switch than Monster Hunter World.
I'll be honestl. I don't think anyone ever expected this.

I assumed Switch's lineup would be Nintendo + Indies + Japanese third parties, with little to no western support. Seems like the opposite happened to an extent. (Heavy support from Tecmo Koei withstanding.)

They should. But that's the sort of half-assed "test" that the poster was talking about.

So if we got XX on Switch outside Japan, would people then be complaining about how we didn't get the "real" Monster Hunter on Switch?

I would be annoyed, but still would have bought XX. I really enjoy the series. Now I'll throw my money Bethesda's way and spend 100+ hours with Skyrim instead of MoHun. It's more that the game is practically 80% localized. It would be easy money and Capcom is telling me that they don't want mine.

Vena

Test or not, keeping a (already partially localized) game from an active core audience is mind numbingly stupid. Made only worse with their brilliant PR.

Also remember XX is on the 3DS too, it's not just the Switch. Capcom's brilliant PR threw two poison pills not one.

Top Bottom