• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

LordRaptor

You mean additional units?

Yes, but I'm also assuming territories outside of JP will have some amount of logistics lag as its likely units will be shipped via sea (cheap but slow) rather than air (fast but expensive)

Monster Hunter World has positive reception so far, so i don't know why would you like to see the game bombing.

Its had some good reception from people who are already familiar with monhun along the lines of "thank god its freed from the handheld ghetto" but the audience who are not - which is who they are actually banking on selling to - don't think it looks particularly good.
I mean, it is not going to be favorably compared to Horizon in any sort of graphical showcasing.

I'm wondering if this bomba might force capcpom into revealing a switch game or two early just to get some good press, I'd have to think most of the board wont be feeling secure in their jobs right now

From what I know, the board members own a majority share in the company. They're not in any danger from being ousted, but poor showings directly hit their pocket books. It also makes it harder to get new investors.

Laplasakos

I'm wondering if this bomba might force capcpom into revealing a switch game or two early just to get some good press, I'd have to think most of the board wont be feeling secure in their jobs right now

What has MvCI bombing to do with Switch anyway? People seriously think that if there was a Switch version it would have sold better?

squall23

Since MHTri was the last console MH and it sold around 1mil first week (I think?), would that be the bar for MHW? But then again, Wii had a higher install base at the time.

Oregano

After they failed to even acknowledge the fan response to their DBFZ comment, I wouldn't even bother. Wake me up when they announce something new on Switch
or when LWA comes out on PC cause I gotta buy that

Yeah, Bamco can sod off.

But that train of thought maybe isn't how Capcom thought about it. Obviously the series saw more sales on portable than when it was on the PS2 and Wii (good-selling home consoles of their respective generations), but thought it was too reliant on Japanese sales, and want to spread that out rather than focusing so much on only one market.

I'm not business expert but abandoning a guaranteed username to chase a new one doesn't seem to work all that often.

Diversifying is a good idea but keeping your core fanbase is generally part of that.

lyrick

How would they deserve it, when it seems like they set out to make a good game
Simply because it's not on y'all platform of choice? Because they set out to target a different audience for once when they made their fanbase happy for years.

Because once again as a Company they are not reacting to market demands. Instead of nurturing the existing fanbase and attempting to expand to a larger market, they simply gave their existing base a big "go fuck off" and decided to try to grow on platforms where they have never actually seen success from the franchise.

Fukuzatsu

The thing about MHW is that it almost feels like it just plain doesn’t matter whether the game is really good or not. That’s borderline irrelevant to the discussion because the circumstances around its release are of much greater impact to its performance.

It feels wrong to say that, but it is what it is.

I think at this point the game could be really polished and even sell quite well, and you'd still have posts about how "the real monster hunter is all about local co-op on portables!" and "investors aren't going to be happy with this".

In so many ways USF2 is a rip-off of the highest order, and if that managed to outsell a brand new MvC game, that's just trash. Trash for fighting game fans, trash for console owners, trash for Capcom, trash for everyone really.

Since MHTri was the last console MH and it sold around 1mil first week (I think?), would that be the bar? But then again, Wii had a higher install base at the time.

I'd say DQXI PS4 LTD sales +/- 15% is the likely range for MHW LTD. It's hard to know if it'll end up slightly higher cause it's Monster Hunter or slightly lower cause DQ has a history of doing well on console and MH's best selling console title was a million. Opening week will be much higher than Wii but it's legs are likely to crater much like DQXI PS4.

Vinnk

But that train of thought maybe isn't how Capcom thought about it. Obviously the series saw more sales on portable than when it was on the PS2 and Wii (good-selling home consoles of their respective generations), but thought it was too reliant on Japanese sales, and want to spread that out rather than focusing so much on only one market.

Yeah. Portable Monster Hunter games were like consistently laid golden eggs for the company. But everyone knows there must be more gold in the goose itself. So it's best to just rip that thing open. What could go wrong?

jman2050

Also I’m still really confused at the confidence some people have that MHW will spur some huge western expansion of the franchise far beyond what any previous entry has done before because reasons.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll be extra salty if the Switch make up game is MHW:portable done by the portable team. After playing Portable 3rd and Generations I never want to play another one of their games again. Too damn easy.

I think at this point the game could be really polished and even sell quite well, and you'd still have posts about how "the real monster hunter is all about local co-op on portables!" and "investors aren't going to be happy with this".

In so many ways USF2 is a rip-off of the highest order, and if that managed to outsell a brand new MvC game, that's just trash. Trash for fighting game fans, trash for console owners, trash for Capcom, trash for everyone really.

That's probably the saddest bit of all of this. Capcom never learns the right lessons.

An overpriced SF2 port doing better than it should? People can hope but you know Capcom is gonna have the wrong takeaway from it.

Laplasakos

Its had some good reception from people who are already familiar with monhun along the lines of "thank god its freed from the handheld ghetto" but the audience who are not - which is who they are actually banking on selling to - don't think it looks particularly good.
I mean, it is not going to be favorably compared to Horizon in any sort of graphical showcasing.

Actually it's the opposite. The audience that didn't played MHW before thought it looked great and most people that are familiar with the franchise were skeptical but with each new info and footage everyone seems excited about it know. You can check the recent threads for yourself to see the reception.

I'll be extra salty if the Switch make up game is MHW:portable done by the portable team. After playing Portable 3rd and Generations I never want to play another one of their games again. Too damn easy.

The Capcom Switch game is going to be MHW.

I don't know why people think it won't get ported.

Fukuzatsu

I'm not business expert but abandoning a guaranteed username to chase a new one doesn't seem to work all that often.

Diversifying is a good idea but keeping your core fanbase is generally part of that.

In general I agree, but how strong was that 'guaranteed userbase' in non-Japanese territories compared to the worth of keeping the Japanese 3DS market? I was not a big MH player on 3DS, but there were a lot of 3DS features and strong points in Japan that seemed ill-suited to places that are not Japan, such as StreetPass.

And going forward, was that userbase actually 'guaranteed'? Another 3DS or Switch MH game would likely sell alright, but would it actually maintain the sales from say, XX?

Oregano

In general I agree, but how strong was that 'guaranteed userbase' in non-Japanese territories compared to the worth of keeping the Japanese 3DS market? I was not a big MH player on 3DS, but there were a lot of 3DS features and strong points in Japan that seemed ill-suited to places that are not Japan, such as StreetPass.

And going forward, was that userbase actually 'guaranteed'? Another 3DS or Switch MH game would likely sell alright, but would it actually maintain the sales from say, XX?

A Switch MH wouldn't have to release only on Switch.

EDIT: Other than that Generations sold 800k, 4U did over a million. Those are still strong sales for a Japanese IP in the west.

Souls(the comparison everyone loves) only do about 2 million in the west if I'm not mistaken.

Celine

So we can assume that the Dragon Quest XI for Switch will be come out to compensate the sales gap with the previous entries ?
It's hard to assume anything in regard to DQXI because it's the first mainline DQ with multiple SKUs at launch and that encourage doubledipping (PS4 and 3DS are two different versions of the same games).
It looks like DQXI (3DS/PS4) LTD is going to be close to DQVIII (PS2) LTD with the addition of digital sales.
However the actual purchase base could be lower if a significant number of consumers have bought the game twice for 3Ds and PS4 (statistic which is unknown).

What has MvCI bombing to do with Switch anyway? People seriously think that if there was a Switch version it would have sold better?

At this point looking at the numbers . . . yes, 100% it would have sold better.

If a Switch version sold 5k in Japan it would be a 50% increase. The game has sold so shit in the tracked territories that the game will probably underperform SS2 on Switch.

How can you think with these low ass bumvers a Switch version wouldn't add a decent chunk to the total?

Where are you seeing this? I've overwhelmingly seen the exact opposite. I've also seen people who've been interested in the games for a long time — yet avoided them because they were mostly on handhelds — that are open to trying it now that it's graphically competent on a home console and seemingly features a non-half-assed story along with tons of quality of life changes and intuitive tutorials.

jman2050

Well I mean that’s the entire issue. It would typically be a given to expect an MHW port to Switch due to market realities. In a normal world where Capcom acts normally it’d just be a matter of waiting until they’re comfortable with announcing it.

However, as has been repeatedly established, present-day Capcom are idiots.

Kikorin

Actually it's the opposite. The audience that didn't played MHW before thought it looked great and most people that are familiar with the franchise were skeptical but with each new info and footage everyone seems excited about it know. You can check the recent threads for yourself to see the reception.

I don't think GAF is a good indicator or games like Ghost Recon would have been huge flops. I'm not saying it will not do well also with new players, only that is really difficult to know now.

Fukuzatsu

Not that it absolutely won't get ported or anything, but I'd be concerned about performance and to what extent people who already bought XX on Switch or MHW on PS4 would affect the sales of a potential MHW on Switch.

Honestly, going off of some of the posts in MC threads on the subject, you'd think MHW is going to do Gundam Versus numbers in Japan.

Because they don't pay attention to every Monster Hunter generation before the 4th.

If World underperforms because of its platforms, why rename it?

The name will help it sell better in japan and nintendo owners jn the west will be less put iff by a high number

Laplasakos

I don't think GAF is a good indicator or games like Ghost Recon would have been huge flops. I'm not saying it will not do well also with new players, only that is really difficult to know now.

I agree. Just wanted to point out the difference in reception between MvCI and MHW. Doesn't mean it will translate into good sales.

We had a whole discussion about it last week but MHW is not going to flop in the West. I don't get the logic. Do people think the 3DS was some monster device for selling third party games in the West. Hint: It wasn't.

Given that, at this point MH and RE are like Capcom's only relevant franchises, it's interesting to me that they are doing everything in their power to piss off the fanbase.

Bruno MB

Let's remember.

capcomfy1722bujv.png

Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition will help to get the title a bit closer to their goal since it is released on December and they can ship a decent amount for Holidays but there is no way it will perform as good as Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition. I wouldn't expect more than 1.5 million units (200,000 so far) being optimistic.

And as for Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite...

RE7 is one of those games that managed to reach whatever the developers set out to do... but it's not the game Capcom needed now.

Are there any Capcom's big release until MHW? Thank god it releases on Janary anyway.

I'm not sure if RE7 had a specific vision from the developers though. It changes genres from one hour to the next.

MHW is the easiest target for those who feel burned by there being no XX localization. I don't want the game to fail personally, but I can't help but sympathize a little. I still have to believe Capcom will be welcomed back like the Prodigal Son by Nintendo fans if they were to announce some kind of MonHun support for the Switch in the West.

They will be welcomed back if they show any sensible support.

noshten

That's crazy. I was counting 40k per week with a few weeks at around 100k for November. Can they really manufacture that many for Japan alone?

Nintendo France expected 800K for the year before the Switch launch. They had sold around 250K in the middle of June and this figure includes the launch. If they reach 400K before the SMO launch it would mean that 50% of supply is being saved up for the holiday period & SMO launch.
I expect that from a planning perspective the production has always been geared towards a much bigger supply for the holiday months. November/December being 40-50% of the total amount they ship for the entire year is generally something you'd expect in the console space. So With Nintendo selling 2 million before November it would mean that they'd have around 1.5 million at minimum, this is taking into consideration that Obon was already a period where Japan saw a much higher supply than any other territory - while Nov/Dec are huge months everywhere. Overall I expect >40% of total Switch sales for 2017 to come during November and December.

Hero

Wanting a game to fail just because of mistakes Capcom made elsewhere is some stupid shit.

You're still not explaining why it's stupid. I'm a long time Capcom fan, some of my favorite games of all time were made by them in the past. I wholeheartedly disagree with pretty much everything that the company is doing right now. If they were at least being successful I could understand that the market and consumers have changed and Capcom is changing along with them, but they are failing at basically everything they are doing now. MHW failing would accelerate getting things changed at Capcom. That's my explanation. Would you like to try to actually put effort into a conversation/discussion or are you just going to keep repeating "stupid shit"?

Portable 3rd came a year after and sold better than DQIX. Except if you mean from now on.

Unlike MvCI, Monster Hunter World has positive reception so far, so i don't know why would you like to see the game bombing.

See above.

Oregano

Well DQXI is missing Switch yet... so let’s see how it will turn out.

DQXI has good chances to be the best selling game in the franchise.

The Switch versions isn't going to sell anywhere close to what it would take to make it the best selling DQ.

On that note remember when that dude predicted 5 million copies sold!? Lol

We had a whole discussion about it last week but MHW is not going to flop in the West. I don't get the logic. Do people think the 3DS was some monster device for selling third party games in the West. Hint: It wasn't.

Given that, at this point MH and RE are like Capcom's only relevant franchises, it's interesting to me that they are doing everything in their power to piss off the fanbase.

Monster Hunter World could easily double MH4U's western sales and end up a disappointment. That's the issue.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's nonsense. The Monster Hunter fans that aren't going to buy World are either Nintendo-only or prefer to play on handhelds. The name isn't going to change anything.
Pretty much in the extremely unlikely chance of a bomba they won't change the name of world but develop a new game call it 5 and treat world like an ill advised spin off.

It may be based on world but it wom't actually be world. Sorta like tri and portable third.

Well I mean that’s the entire issue. It would typically be a given to expect an MHW port to Switch due to market realities. In a normal world where Capcom acts normally it’d just be a matter of waiting until they’re comfortable with announcing it.

However, as has been repeatedly established, present-day Capcom are idiots.

Right, so people are jumping to conclusions and building entire narratives around that.

As long as they are ready to eat crow when it gets announced, it's all fine I suppose.

lyrick

because 'World' sounds like a spin off.

Coming from the Company that has 10 numbered Mega Man Games, Eight numbered Mega Man X titles, Seven numbered Resident Evil games, Six? numbered Breath of Fire Games, Five numbered Street Fighter Games, Four numbered Dead Rising Games...

The company is definitely not afraid to dump a number next to direct sequels of their games.

Pretty much in the extremely unlikely chance of a bomba they won't change the name of world but develop a new game call it 5 and treat world like an ill advised spin off.

It may be based on world but it wom't actually be world. Sorta like tri and portable third.

And thats exactly what i think they'll do

Top Bottom