• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2017 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

One thing i will say though is that Nintendo made the right choice in focusing their efforts on working with nVidia, Epic and Unity to get the middleware solutions ready at launch...as well as the work with western developers in general - it might not be relevant for this thread but getting Doom, Minecraft, Skyrim, NBA 2K, Rocket League etc. ready for this Holiday season is much more important than hoping for a company like Capcom to come around and deliver a game like MH in time.

Capcom was likely one of the first partners to get a Switch dev kit, even being able to recommend some changes to improve the performance of the RE Engine on the system...yet this is what they delivered so far.

If Capcom knows whats good for them they will likely have to come back to the Switch and Nintendo again for that portable money....but they probably wont get the royal treatment again like they did on the 3DS where they were on board from Day 1 and essential to its success.
They were one of those companies that failed to catch the early success of the nds for fuck sakes lol

test_account

XP-39C²
People getting paid to make bets and being consistently wrong at them get fired or demoted when they work for other publishers.
Yeah, thats true, in the same way that people who get payed to make bets and being more right than wrong gets to stay in the job. I dont think money is the main factor in this. Its fully possible to be just as much right or wrong if you make e.g $50k a year or several of millions a year. In the ends, its bets and predictions, no one can say for sure how electronic consumer products will end up selling.

Betting to not release ports of old games, that at this point can run on a smartphone from 2 (maybe even 4) years ago, on major gaming platforms where many of those games originally found success seems like a bad bet any way you slice it. What is the logic in betting against releasing classic nintendo games on the most current nintendo platform, where fans of those games likely reside, especially when there's almost no way such a port could result in any loses? This is just a case of it's not going to make us 100 million or more it's not worth doing? Then why are they releasing them at all to being with? I don't get it.
I understood what i quoted as a general statement about support, not just regarding old ports. But why arent we seeing tons more ports if they are all basically guaranteed to not lose any money?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
why do they have to choose when there is a system that is selling great both in Japan and overseas?

Right. These weekly arguments seem to have some posters zeroing in on Japan as if Capcom has to choose between its domestic market and world wide success.

Its certainly not an either or proposition right now and frankly I expect Switch to better in the U.S than Japan this holiday (relatively speaking)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I understood what i quoted as a general statement about support, not just regarding old ports. But why arent we seeing tons more ports if they are all basically guaranteed to not lose any money?
Ask Capcom. It doesn't make any sense.

Right. These weekly arguments seem to have some posters zeroing in on Japan as if Capcom has to choose between its domestic market and world wide success.

Its certainly not an either or proposition right now and frankly I expect Switch to better in the U.S than Japan this holiday (relatively speaking)

Is not even PS4 xor Switch either...

It's really impossible to defend Capcom's decisions when they won't even bother to porting NES games to Switch.

It's just outright refusing money for some reason. While I don't think MHW will ever top the sales for the portable games, at least you can see what they're tring to do - no ports of games like the Disney titles, Mega Man, Okami, etc is insane.

I wonder how they will justify this to shareholders.

It's really impossible to defend Capcom's decisions when they won't even bother to porting NES games to Switch.

It's just outright refusing money for some reason. While I don't think MHW will ever top the sales for the portable games, at least you can see what they're tring to do - no ports of games like the Disney titles, Mega Man, Okami, etc is insane.

It’s possible to defend them though,just wait for Wonder Red

If there's a market for NES games on Switch i'd blame Nintendo for not having something simple like an emulator ready, that way companies dont have to go through the work of a port for such small games.

WestEgg

If there's a market for NES games on Switch i'd blame Nintendo for not having something simple like an emulator ready, that way companies dont have to go through the work of a port for such small games.

We already know the Switch has a built in NES emulator. But even then, if they are already running the games on PS4, Xbox One, and PC no problem, why is it on Nintendo to accommodate them further?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

They had the NES emulator running on 3DS...where wasthe 3DS versions of Afternoon Collection ? So we should feel sorry for Capcom for not being able to at least deliver the least amount of effort to earn those profits ?

Those games would likely have sold as much if not more on the Nintendo systems...i dont see a scenario where porting those projects to Switch would have resulted in higher costs than the +100k or more they could have sold on it. Whats next....Nintendo should have offered a exclusive console bundle to get the Okami Switch port ? lol .... Nintendo already deliver a (popular) system, that is easy to develop for....its the publisher fault if they dont wanna make the money at this point.

Kyoufu

Yeah, not having those NES games on Switch is odd, but Nintendo are dropping the ball hard on that front as well. I don't want to buy Classic Mini consoles, I want Virtual Console on Switch. I can't feel bad for Nintendo for not getting 3rd party NES games on that platform when they're not doing anything about it themselves.

The VC isn’t out yet but it’s confirmed (at least NES games to be legally playable on Switch somehow next year)
I don’t imagine porting NES games is a big issue anyways...also, VC existing isn’t much of an excuse for a company not to put out a collection. They did MMLC on 3DS when those games were already available on it
Yeah, not having those NES games on Switch is odd, but Nintendo are dropping the ball hard on that front as well. I don't want to buy Classic Mini consoles, I want Virtual Console on Switch. I can't feel bad for Nintendo for not getting 3rd party NES games on that platform when they're not doing anything about it themselves.
I think it’s mostly that they’re waiting for the online service to launch.
I don’t think it was necessary to release this year, but could be something good for the early months in 2018.

Virtual Console has nothing to do with those collection,the first megaman collection had no problem arriving on the 3ds despite having all of the games being released via virtual console

Vena

Why didn't Nintendo just code and port the game for them?

This is exactly what happened with the Wii. Those games will be too little, too late.

Third parties have royally fucked up.

It's easy to say "No one knew the system would a success!" but the people making those decisions aren't hobbyists on GAF, they are execs paid millions to know what bets to make.

I still don't think this actually applies to any one but Capcom.

We've seen more games announced or "pivoted" into Switch SKUs in the last couple of months that the Wii's first several years, and game dev now takes *much* longer than it did then.

Capcom is in the middle of a shit storm right now, from every angle, and all their games are bombing.

It's not a good look for them.

This.

And also, I don't like their games. At all. Would buy MonHu if it was a proper game, made from ground up for Switch. Maybe, been interested in the series but didn't have 3DS and couldn't find it for Wii U for relatively cheap (won't pay 65€+ for that).

Capcom is one of those studios that ride on their old merits. Just like Bioware. Their recent games haven't been good.

Cuningas de Häme;252001217 said:
This.

And also, I don't like their games. At all. Would buy MonHu if it was a proper game, made from ground up for Switch. Maybe, been interested in the series but didn't have 3DS and couldn't find it for Wii U for relatively cheap (won't pay 65€+ for that).

Capcom is one of those studios that ride on their old merits. Just like Bioware. Their recent games haven't been good.
Eh, Monster Hunter is a great series, and World looks incredible. There are still plenty of talented developers working for Capcom. They have much more of an administrative and upper management problem, imo.

Snakeyes

It weirder than that these devs made a bet against their own traditional domestic market despite a larger proportion of their revenue coming from said domestic market.

The few that didn't tended to be those who were least dependent on that market in the first place.

The whole situation is odd. It would be as if EA and Activision were to bet against the PS5 and the XB2 being a success.
Call me a tinfoil hatter, but I still believe Sony really sold them on the idea that the Japanese market is unsalvageable by pointing to the slowing (3DS, Vita) or disastrous (Wii U) sales of dedicated consoles in their domestic market, and that the only way forward is to put all of their efforts towards home consoles (which have been Sony's bread and butter until now) and make up for lost sales in Japan with success worldwide.

Out of all three console manufacturers, Sony benefits the most from a weak Japanese market where developers continue to make home console software, as they will always get preferential treatment over Microsoft for being a Japanese company and the successful period both Sony and third parties enjoyed in the PS1 and PS2 days.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean if we’re talking about Capcom’s fundamental issue in Japan, the Switch doesn’t even remotely get near the #1 issue, which is that they don’t have a successful mobile business.

Namco makes about $1 billion a year in the very high margin mobile market. Square Enix is close behind. Both companies have record revenue and profits, and you can easily see how much it benefits them and frees them to take risks in other departments, leading to success there as well. Even Sega, who makes around half that in mobile, can leverage their earnings to do things like buying Western strategy studios, Atlus, and investing more in their console titles.

Putting Monster Hunter on Switch is just slowing the bleeding instead of revitalizing the company.

Vena

I mean if we’re talking about Capcom’s fundamental issue in Japan, the Switch doesn’t even remotely get near the #1 issue, which is that they don’t have a successful mobile business.

Namco makes about $1 billion a year in the very high margin mobile market. Square Enix is close behind. Both companies have record revenue and profits, and you can easily see how much it benefits them and frees them to take risks in other departments, leading to success there as well. Even Sega, who makes around half that in mobile, can leverage their earnings to do things like buying Western strategy studios, Atlus, and investing more in their console titles.

Putting Monster Hunter on Switch is just slowing the bleeding instead of revitalizing the company.

Hell, even Nintendo is now making a fairly hefty chunk out of FEH on mobile and they *do* have a successful console/strategy on top of it.

Capcom's problems are rampant in everything right now, need look no further than the recent disaster with MvCI.

Kanann

Capcom has a problem many falling down studios have, lag of talent and good management, 1000 staff or not.
Hope MHW help them, or DMC5 or REmake2 or whatever.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I mean if we're talking about Capcom's fundamental issue in Japan, the Switch doesn't even remotely get near the #1 issue, which is that they don't have a successful mobile business.

Having a successful mobile business is indeed a boom, but not necessary to stay healthy, let alone survive. Nintendo's is still peanuts.

Jigorath

Banned

That's what I've been saying! Capcom is like the only prominent Japanese publisher without any meaningful presence in the mobile space. Nintendo's got some hits, Bamco and Square are huge on mobile, Sony's Aniplex stuff is extremely successful, and then there's Capcom who doesn't seem to have a clue how to penetrate the market.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Why couldnt that be said about Capcom as well? What if Switch was the next WiiU in terms of sales.

Megaman Collection and Disney afternoon would still have outsold the XBO sku. The same with Okami. And other studios had some Switch pipelines that they can use in case the system was successful, Capcom didn't. They went all in against the successor of the system that saved their hides last generation. You never go all in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Having a successful mobile business is indeed a boom, but not necessary to stay healthy, let alone survive. Nintendo's is still peanuts.
Sure, but if we look at what most companies are succeeding with in Japan, I don’t think it’s hard to diagnose top issues for Capcom in Japan and their best bets for recovery.

Does anyone feel they’re more likely to get their dedicated games to start selling like Nintendo’s in the region over getting a bunch of partner companies to launch successful mobile games?

Porting the Mega Man and Disney Afternoon Collections to Switch isn’t what’s going to solve their continual decline, and it’s not like Marvel vs Capcom is going to get a huge boost on the platform. I certainly hope a 2500-3000 employee publicly traded company is aiming for more than just surviving as well.

Like yeah, I’m sure putting out a Monster Hunter game on Switch would help, but that’s a one step move that salvages some decline, not a recovery strategy.

MoonFrog

Capcom has tried mobile, right? I genuinely don't know for sure.

What have been their problems if they have tried? Is it stuff never making it out of development or just bad/unattractive products?

Vena

What have been their problems if they have tried? Is it stuff never making it out of development or just bad/unattractive products?

Yes, and failed miserably.

They never made compelling products for the market.

Jigorath

Banned

None of their popular IPs seem to translate to mobile all that well. Like, how do you created a mobile spinoff of Monster Hunter or Resident Evil that's inline with the experience fans have come to expect from those franchises?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but if we look at what most companies are succeeding with in Japan, I don’t think it’s hard to diagnose top issues for Capcom in Japan and their best bets for recovery.

Does anyone feel they’re more likely to get their dedicated games to start selling like Nintendo’s in the region over getting a bunch of partner companies to launch successful mobile games?

I don't think that getting success at mobile is easy at all. Specially when you are hurting for money and your IPs are in decline. I guess Capcom could do a Chun-li and Sakura dressing Gatcha game. IDK why they haven't done it. And is that a rhetoric question?

Porting the Mega Man and Disney Afternoon Collections to Switch isn’t what’s going to solve their continual decline, and it’s not like Mar el vs Capcom is going to get a huge boost on the platform. I certainly hope a 2500-3000 employee publicly traded company is aiming for more than just surviving as well.

Like yeah, I’m sure putting out a Monster Hunter game on Switch would help, but that’s a one step move that salvages some decline, not a recovery strategy.

Is the little things that add-up. Is understandable that Re7, MvC:I and even MHW weren't planned for the platform. But the collections (and XX for the west) are the lowest hanging fruits that any publisher had and the prime example of how Capcom had no plans whatsoever for the system.

Also, if the 400K sales they got from USFII were significant enough to get credited for significant profit during the period, then Capcom is in no position to depreciate the sales that those two games would have gotten on the switch, as we got data that retro games are selling very well on the system. We are not talking about SE here, as Capcom isn't making billions of mobile along with western hits. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Megaman Collection and Disney afternoon would still have outsold the XBO sku. The same with Okami. And other studios had some Switch pipelines that they can use in case the system was successful, Capcom didn't. They went all in against the successor of the system that saved their hides last generation. You never go all in.
Thats possible, but no one know by how much, its anyone's guess.

Which pipelines are those? But yes, they also went against the Vita despite the predecessor (PSP) gave them their biggest hit ever in Japan. Worked out fine in the end. But regardless, Capcom will release more games on the Switch. I just dont think its obvious that Capcom would have had huge success on the Switch if they released more games by now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

At first they outsourced a bunch of super cheap games to random outsourcing firms.

Then they brought it all in-house and didn’t have much more success. Monster Hunter Explore is making maybe $30 million a year, and nothing else even registers. The games were largely insufficient quality or too trite compared to modern competition. For example, one of Square Enix’s flagship games is Brave Exvius, which is basically a mobilized version of a full fledged Final Fantasy game (and done with partner studio Alik, though as a publisher, so presumably Alim only eats up 20-30% of their profits).

They hypothetically have four new flagship internal mobile games coming out this fiscal year, but it’s not clear that they haven’t mostly been canceled (sans Puzzle Fighter).

And then, a couple months ago, they announced plans to sign off their IPs to much more prominent partners, though presumably as a licensor instead of as a publisher this go around, which gets them better games, but a smaller part of the profits. That said, if they actually got good partners (they wouldn’t say who), it would still be a notable step up. But again, we really don’t 100% know if it’s licensor vs publisher or if they’re partnered with anyone good yet, and we still don’t know what their 500-700+ internal mobile staff are doing right now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sinobi

Super Mario Odyssey scheduled for release on the 27th this month. Due to promotion becoming full-scale, the number of reservations doubled.

No expectations were given for next week's releases.

Oregano

Until Bandai Namco actually shows some receipts they are just as bad as Capcom.

Which pipelines are those? But yes, they also went against the Vita despite the predecessor (PSP) gave them their biggest hit ever in Japan. Worked out fine in the end. But regardless, Capcom will release more games on the Switch. I just dont think its obvious that Capcom would have had huge success on the Switch if they released more games by now.

Koei Tecmo has managed to get pretty everything on Switch in relatively short time. Enough so that they're releasing three games on the same day.

Square Enix has not only ported Phyre engine to Switch for DQ Builders 2 but also has spared the resources for releasing the first one worldwide on the system.

Capcom's only upcoming Switch games are the Revelations game coming months after the PS4/XBO versions despite the engine already being supported on the system. Not even Dragon's Dogma(which is also on the same engine) is coming to Switch.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Porting the Mega Man and Disney Afternoon Collections to Switch isn’t what’s going to solve their continual decline, and it’s not like Marvel vs Capcom is going to get a huge boost on the platform. I certainly hope a 2500-3000 employee publicly traded company is aiming for more than just surviving as well.

The biggest issues is that Capcom's breadwinner have been resident evil and MH and has been for a long ass time. It would be one thing if they were stable like last generation but they're not. In part due to their own decisions. RE7 underperformed and MHW is one big question mark. The rest of their output is a minor to major underperformance.

Stagnation is bad, contraction is awful. That's they're looking at here if their MHW bet doesn't pay off.

Capcom clearly doesn't the aptitude in moile development and tge goldrush days are well and truky over, they have some aptitude in console development which is why they focused their company strategy largely back on that. The issue is they're messing that up as well.

DL-9xyKUIAI-gto.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251410298&postcount=1470

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251415749&postcount=1484

MoonFrog

Yes, and failed miserably.

They never made compelling products for the market.

None of their popular IPs seem to translate to mobile all that well. Like, how do you created a mobile spinoff of Monster Hunter or Resident Evil that's inline with the experience fans have come to expect from those franchises?

At first they outsourced a bunch of super cheap games to random outsourcing firms.

Then they brought it all in-house and didn’t have much more success. Monster Hunter Explore is making maybe $30 million a year, and nothing else even registers. The games were largely insufficient quality or too trite compared to modern competition. For example, one of Square Enix’s flagship games is Brave Exvius, which is basically a mobilized version of a full fledged Final Fantasy game (and done with partner studio Alik, though as a publisher, so presumably Alim only eats up 20-30% of their profits).

They hypothetically have four new flagship internal mobile games coming out this fiscal year, but it’s not clear that they haven’t mostly been canceled (sans Puzzle Fighter).

And then, a couple months ago, they announced plans to sign off their IPs to much more prominent partners, though presumably as a licensor instead of as a publisher this go around, which gets them better games, but a smaller part of the profits. That said, if they actually got good partners (they wouldn’t say who), it would still be a notable step up. But again, we really don’t 100% know if it’s licensor vs publisher or if they’re partnered with anyone good yet, and we still don’t know what their 500-700+ internal mobile staff are doing right now.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Seems that they've had a bunch of different troubles getting into that market. Hopefully that new outsourcing pays off and their internal staff are able to find something compelling and put it to market.

Oregano

The issue with Capcom and Switch is that what people expected/wanted isn't particularily difficult on Capcom's part and isn't high risk either. MT Framework has been running on Switch for over a year now. Why are the Revelations games coming several months later? Why isn't Dragon's Dogma coming to Switch?

Those are open goals for Capcom and they're completely missing them.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Capcom still had MvC3 and SxT for the Vita first months. That's much bigger support than what the Switch got. They changed MH to 3DS, sure. I am not disputing that there's some sense on the MHW project.

And Pipelines, KT got games running pretty fast, Bamco has the Nintendo collaborations and have ported at least one current gen game to the system. Lack of support for recently announced titles is concerning, but at least they are congruent with what they were supporting until now. SE has already announced big games for the system.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Until Bandai Namco actually shows some receipts they are just as bad as Capcom.

Koei Tecmo has managed to get pretty everything on Switch in relatively short time. Enough so that they're releasing three games on the same day.

Square Enix has not only ported Phyre engine to Switch for DQ Builders 2 but also has spared the resources for releasing the first one worldwide on the system.

Capcom's only upcoming Switch games are the Revelations game coming months after the PS4/XBO versions despite the engine already being supported on the system. Not even Dragon's Dogma(which is also on the same engine) is coming to Switch.
I would actually argue that Namco’s output is much worse given they are a much bigger company, but have a similar number of releases compared to Capcom (or possibly even less).

Kyoufu

I would actually argue that Namco’s output is much worse given they are a much bigger company, but have a similar number of releases compared to Capcom (or possibly even less).

The funny thing is they just announced a bunch of games, all of which are looking like they're skipping Switch.

And what's funnier is that they want Switch owners to beg for ports.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Care to share?
I tried to do that comparison a few weeks ago, but hit a snag and stopped. DQ11 hadn't started taking preorders yet within the equivalent time frame from release. I was also comparing it to FFXV and MHXX. The only real take away I gained was that early preorders don't mean much. Preorders in the final weeks appearred to be more indicative, and even then the rate of change seemed to be a bigger factor than the actual numbers.

The VC isn’t out yet but it’s confirmed (at least NES games to be legally playable on Switch somehow next year)
I don’t imagine porting NES games is a big issue anyways...also, VC existing isn’t much of an excuse for a company not to put out a collection. They did MMLC on 3DS when those games were already available on it
I don't think these old ROM dumps count for anything towards Capcom's strategy, good or bad.. They'll sell the same whether they're released now or in 5 years. One could just as easily complain that it's taken them this long to get those games out on the PS4.

sinonobu

Banned
Yeah I agree that Bamco's support is worse than Capcom's.

Most of their new titles are skipping Switch, and they are only saying stuff like "We'll port the game over if there's enough demand" when they have no intention on doing so.

Yes, they announced Tales of and Taiko but we don't know anything about those titles.

Oregano

Bandai Namco has Namco Museum, Dragonball Z and One Piece so far so they're barely ahead of Capcom for now. But yes, a very bad showing. Especially when a lot of their mid-tier games are being produced on UE4.

Why couldnt that be said about Capcom as well? What if Switch was the next WiiU in terms of sales.
Don’t base your whole business around it then, but at least set it up so you can have a few ports at least. I imagine the Wii U ports early on were successful enough that it didn’t hurt.
They essentially wrote the system off completely which isn’t being cautious.

Top Bottom