• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Nintendo are clearly smoking hard that crack pipe.

Tell me this folks who know. Why at the investors meeting when Iwata spews out this bullshit that other folks in the room don't stand up and call him out on this. Explain this to me. I'd really like to know.
They presumably know they're going to lower it later so they use their question time to ask other things.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They presumably know they're going to lower it later so they use their question time to ask other things.

But when March comes around and WiiU has done less then half the forecast. Won't the investors start asking for heads to roll?

Yanikun

Banned
Tell me this folks who know. Why at the investors meeting when Iwata spews out this bullshit that other folks in the room don't stand up and call him out on this. Explain this to me. I'd really like to know.

From the last Q&A:
I believe that my ultimate responsibility is to maximize the long-term corporate value of Nintendo. That is how I view my role, but on the other hand, I am not saying that the current financial forecast has become unattainable. As I remarked just a while ago, the annual financial performance of a video game company rests heavily upon its success in the year-end sales season. There would of course be a significant difference between the most optimistic and the most pessimistic scenarios. This is the inevitable fate of any video game company, and even if one may hope it to be more foreseeable, we operate in an environment where it is impossible to know the outcome of a product we have produced until consumers have tried it for themselves. What is more, how players influence the value of our products and turn them into hit titles through interacting with each other, and thereby creating buzz in society, is simply beyond our reach. All we can do is offer the best entertainment that we can and do our best to motivate our consumers to talk about our products, but there is inevitably a fair degree of uncertainty in our performance. Therefore, I do not think that it is the right time to change our financial forecast.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But when March comes around and WiiU has done less then half the forecast. Won't the investors start asking for heads to roll?
The people on the financial calls are usually analysts so they just make recommendations like buy, hold, or sell.

The shareholder meeting only happens once a year in the summer. Iwata's approval did drop from like 90%-ish to 72%-ish though, so if things get bad enough that can go down to the point where they kick him out.

It's pretty rare for that to happen though since most people would either turn around the company or resign before that point.

The other issue is that Nintendo doesn't really know how much to lower it by yet, so they might not actually be giving useful guidance beyond "well it's going to be less than we said" at this point.

Kid Ying

Nintendo was not ready, the system suffered because of this. Now they are, let's see the difference it makes.
Well, that's their problem, right? They are free to try and change the situation, but letting their console sell like utter shit for almost a year is not what i think is a good strategy.

And their expectations are just made on crack. Impossible. 4 million Wiiu till march would be doable. Hard, but they could make it. Almost 9 million? LOL

redcrayon

Good work from the Vita this week. It's the continual week-in, week-out sales slog that matters, not flash-in-the-pan bumps.

This looks good for Nintendo, at least in Japan. As mentioned already it remains to be seen how long they can keep these kind of numbers. Can Wii Sports Club and 3DWorld keep it going?

It would be nice to see a resurgence of W101 and Pikmin if enough additional WiiU consoles are sold ...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
From the last Q&A:

Yes. I've read that before. It's a nice bunch of words and I can understand what he's trying to say but that sales projection figure is utter madness.
I can't believe a CEO of any company could legitimately say that figure and be taken seriously.

daxgame

Yes. I've read that before. It's a nice bunch of words and I can understand what he's trying to say but that sales projection figure is utter madness.
I can't believe a CEO of any company could legitimately say that figure and be taken seriously.

which is (also) why I love Iwata :D. He trolled hard there, and investors being stupid isn't my concern

cyberheater

The other issue is that Nintendo doesn't really know how much to lower it by yet, so they might not actually be giving useful guidance beyond "well it's going to be less than we said" at this point.

Could it also be if they revised the projection down from say 9m to 2m then that would be a strong admission that WiiU and Nintendo upper management has failed and they do not want to admit that at this point?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well Nintendo was lowering their expectations every quarter for almost the entire last two fiscal years so just going "we'll lower it after this quarter" probably doesn't rock the boat very much.

Ty4on

*Why the WiiU dropped to 2k?*

I'm pretty sure it was mostly because people were waiting for the bundles to hit the shelves...along with no real system seller yet.

We say the exact same happen with the Vita before the revision when sales dropped to 3k for one week before soaring to 60k. One difference is the Vita had a shorter and steeper dip, while the WiiU seemed to fall for weeks.

I really hope Famitsu made a mistake, otherwise my predicted 0/-5k sales for Wii Party U is wrong :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Basically either the investors are all half asleep, or they're just waiting for the most opportune moment. If anyone had felt like being particularly cruel, they could have hammered out a question on how Iwata intends to ship 8.5 million WiiU's to retailers with a 100% sellthrough before March and if their infrastructure could even achieve such a feat.

Thats the sort of cornering question they specifically avoided other than the ominous re-mention of "commitment".

cyberheater

Well Nintendo was lowering their expectations every quarter for almost the entire last two fiscal years so just going "we'll lower it after this quarter" probably doesn't rock the boat very much.

Well if Nintendo really does have that laid back attitude then I wonder what drives them on to succeed. They are a very strange company indeed.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's autosuggestion. If the CEO isn't bullish on its product sales potential, no one else will be. Having this projection, partners may consider half of it as a realistic perspective. If Iwata projected half as much, partners might still apply a half cut on it, and it would look bad. As it stands it looks good, gives confidence and that's what Iwata tries to get. If he's wrong, he will still have Mario Kart 8 and whatever other system seller they will announce for next year to keep the confidence in Wii U's potential alive.

qko

People forget that Japan is considered Tier 2 and Nintendo has the holiday season all to itself there.

cyberheater

Basically either the investors are all half asleep, or they're just waiting for the most opportune moment. If anyone had felt like being particularly cruel, they could have hammered out a question on how Iwata intends to ship 8.5 million WiiU's to retailers with a 100% sellthrough before March and if their infrastructure could even achieve such a feat.

Thats the sort of cornering question they specifically avoided other than the ominous re-mention of "commitment".

I would imagine that there are a lot of questioned being asked behind closed doors.

It's autosuggestion. If the CEO isn't bullish on its product sales potential, no one else will be. Having this projection, partners may consider half of it as a realistic perspective. If Iwata projected half as much, partners might still apply a half cut on it, and it would look bad. As it stands it looks good, gives confidence and that's what Iwata tries to get. If he's wrong, he will still have Mario Kart 8 and whatever other system seller they will announce for next year to keep the confidence in Wii U's potential alive.

Not really. When a CEO makes official statements like that, that are so divorced for the reality that they've created, I think it makes them look laughable and does not instil any confidence in me.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Finally good news in regards to Wii U sales. Let's hope that sales will not drop like a rock and maintain a certain momentum through the holiday season.

3DS sales are disappointing. Like I mentioned previously, starting as of next week, last year the 3DS entered beast mode with the release of Animal Crossing. As a result, November sales will be ''underperforming'' compared to last year. Nonetheless, I strongly believe Puzzle & Dragons in early December will have the same effects as Animal Crossing did during the holiday season in the previous year. A very good year for 3DS in the end.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When a CEO makes official statements like that, that are so divorced for the reality that they've created, I think it makes them look laughable and does not instil any confidence in me.
I know you would kill Wii U and take Iwata's head, you say it repeatedly. But Wii U can still make it, things look better now. What it needs is to confirm the much better value prop translates into much better sales in the next 6 months.

Pretty bad results for Wii U considering the titles released are suppose to have massive appeal to a large population.

You are suppose to get these results from gamea like Pikmin and Wario Ware, not Wii Fit U and Wii Party U

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man, no one gave a flying fuck about WiiFit U

?? Right now it's a purely digital product with zero retail presence. The only sales I believe are for hardware bundles.

Finally good news in regards to Wii U sales. Let's hope that sales will not drop like a rock and maintain a certain momentum through the holiday season.

3DS sales are disappointing. Like I mentioned previously, starting as of next week, last year the 3DS entered beast mode with the release of Animal Crossing. As a result, November sales will be ''underperforming'' compared to last year. Nonetheless, I strongly believe Puzzle & Dragons in early December will have the same effects as Animal Crossing did during the holiday season in the previous year. A very good year for 3DS in the end.

Why would anyone buy 3DS for a game they have on their smartphone ?

Ty4on

Is it even retailing in Japan?

Unless I'm stupid or the numbers are flawed then Media Create sales do not include the bundles while Famitsu do. Media Create said 37k copies had been sold. Famitsu said 79k which makes sense when you add ~40k extra WiiU bundles.

People forget that Japan is considered Tier 2 and Nintendo has the holiday season all to itself there.

It had last holiday season "all to itself" too :p But I hope you're right. More numbers is certainly encouraging. I suppose we won't get direct sales numbers for Wii Sports U, figured that might have a similar effect as the Party title.

AlucardGV

Banned
Huh?

zTkqMJJ.gif

to me, it sounds like "we tried with classic games, and it didn't worked. let's make more party games"

Raist

Banned
?? Right now it's a purely digital product with zero retail presence. The only sales I believe are for hardware bundles.

I know that. It just that the bundle with Wii Fit sold far less than the other one.
Although I just noticed the sell through figure. Seems like they didn't bother distributing many of this bundle.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Why would anyone buy 3DS for a game they have on their smartphone ?

1. Not the same game
2. Puzzle & Dragon brand recognition is at an all-time high
3. Not plagued with in-game purchases
4. Pre-orders are extremely high and should minimum eclipse 350k at retail first week

Such good bundles, still only 40k sales.

Wonderbomba 101 is a nuclear bomb and Wii Party sells well, I fear what conclusions Nintendo will draw from this...

I am sad Panda.

sad_panda.png

Bruno MB

I know that. It just that the bundle with Wii Fit sold far less than the other one.
Although I just noticed the sell through figure. Seems like they didn't bother distributing many of this bundle.

Sell-through rate is always 100% for games that are only available at retail via download code, so we don't know how many Wii U Family Premium Set + Wii Fit U have been shipped.

The forecast was to sell 9 million this fiscal year :p March to March. The forecast they refuse to adjust.

Which is extremely ridiculous and the most unrealistic forecast I've ever seen. It's ok to be optimistic 8 months ago but after seeing how the WiiU tanked nearly everywhere, Iwata just seems delusional to not adjust the number. The WiiU can have a mainline FF, DQ, MH, Mario and Zelda coming out in the next few months and it would still fail to reach 9 millions.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I spit my coffee out at that Wii U number. So it basically just sold as much last week as it did like the 10-ish prior weeks combined. wow.

SmokyDave

1. Not the same game
2. Puzzle & Dragon brand recognition is at an all-time high
3. Not plagued with in-game purchases
4. Pre-orders are extremely high and should minimum eclipse 350k at retail first week

Do we know how they'll be handling the various events, carnivals and godfests?

I thought this game was a lock to do well on 3DS but now I'm actually playing it, I think it's probably far better suited to smartphones.

Damn :p
thought I was being very subtle
As subtle as a brick through a plate glass window :)

Top Bottom