• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2012 (Nov 05 - Nov 11)

zroid

Banned
It's pretty simple guys. All Sony needs to do is buy out Nintendo and then rename the 3DS the Vita... it's going to DOMINATE!

Kouriozan

I found a pic fitting this week

6336352112_0d9e580aaa.jpg

Nice, Animal Crossing is now a big handheld franchise.
Can't wait for an EU/NA release date.

nickcv

Glad I am wrong then. More power to me. If you can prove it that is.

Nintendo had a good plan it would seem.

The plan of do something over Sony's do nothing.

Yeah, how about no. Nintendo is not outselling iPhones and iPads world wide.

you guys do not get sarcasm i see =P

what i meant with my post is that even if nintendo would outsell everything world wide including smartphones people would still call it doomed.

Glad I am wrong then. More power to me. If you can prove it that is.

Nintendo had a good plan it would seem.

The plan of do something over Sony's do nothing.

This is getting a little OT and it's comparing apples to oranges, but he's being sarcastic. Samsung shipped 52.1 million smartphones and Apple shipped 26 million iphones last quarter alone, more than the 3DS will ship this year. Even Sony shipped more phones than the 3DS shipped devices last quarter with 8.8 million xperia phones shipped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is doing well in Japan, in the rest of the world, not so well...

It's not doing well, it's dominating Japanese market.
About the rest, it was the best selling console last Holidays in Europe, it was the best selling console in August and September in Europe, and it is not so behind Xbox360 in the US monthly based (similar but slightly over PS3), more or less.
So...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't think those synergies are as significant as you think.
As a whole, they will be significant, no question about that.

Wii was no logical upsell for a DS owner. There were separate products in most regards.
Wii U and 3DS now share lots of things & owning both machines makes the experience complete.

- Monster hits like Monster Hunter or Smash Bros will offer cross play.
- Wii U eShop spendings will generate 3DS eShop discounts.
- Nintendo Direct videos on 3DS entice people to buy a Wii U.
- Miiverse will add a communication/competitive layer between friends/family members. Japanese people will monitor their Wii U records/messages anytime of day from their 3DS.
- People playing a Nintendo handheld all day are more likely to plug a Nintendo console on their TV (moreso if it's HD, if the GamePad is a TV remote and if they can use it to play while someone else watches TV - but that's another story).

Bruno MB

18./12. [PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.10.18} (¥4.980) - 5.695 / 118.767 (-42%)

Do you think guys that the 3DS episode could really sell better than this, at the end?
It started better, but seems to have a weaker weekly rhythm..

It'll easily sell more.

We probably know how much Little Battler eXperience W will end up selling since it won't receive a new shipment. Level 5 shipped around 173.000 units. The last figure we have for Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost is 142.997, that amount is from 2 and a half moths ago.

Opening:

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.10.18} (¥4.980) - 84.041 / NEW
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) - 55.614 / NEW

Same time frame:

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.10.18} (¥4.980) - 5.695 / 118.767 (-42%)
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) - 10.082 / 96.196 (-9%)

LTD:

[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) - 3.342 / 142.997 (+1%)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, wasn't it confirmed before that all of the iOS apps aren't as profitable compared to Pokemon or some DS game?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It'll easily sell more.

We probably know how much Little Battler eXperience W will end up selling since it won't receive a new shipment. Level 5 shipped around 173.000 units. The last figure we have for Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost is 142.997, that amount is from 2 and a half moths ago.

Opening:

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.10.18} (¥4.980) - 84.041 / NEW
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) - 55.614 / NEW

Same time frame:

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.10.18} (¥4.980) - 5.695 / 118.767 (-42%)
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) - 10.082 / 96.196 (-9%)

LTD:

[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Explosive Boost <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.07.05} (¥4.400) - 3.342 / 142.997 (+1%)

thanks!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's not doing well, it's dominating Japanese market.
About the rest, it was the best selling console last Holidays in Europe, it was the best selling console in August but continued having good sales during September and October too ( slow months for portables usually) in Europe, and it is not so behind Xbox360 in the US monthly based (similar but slightly over PS3), more or less.
So...

Fixed.

This is getting a little OT and it's comparing apples to oranges, but he's being sarcastic. Samsung shipped 52.1 million smartphones and Apple shipped 26 million iphones last quarter alone, more than the 3DS will ship this year. Even Sony shipped more phones than the 3DS shipped devices last quarter with 8.8 million xperia phones shipped.

We might as well discuss computers in comparison to consoles.

vareon

Huh, wasn't it confirmed before that all of the iOS apps aren't as profitable compared to Pokemon or some DS game?

It is for paid apps, but today people are championing free2play/games with IAP more. Nintendo flat-out refused making money through gacha or microtransactions where payers get an advantage, which is the two biggest money-makers for F2P models right now.

There are few things on this Earth as profitable as Pokemon as a franchise.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it certainly was a few months back, yeah.

I don't think it was the entire franchise, just one game. And for whatever reason, I thought the game mentioned was NSMB. I could be wrong.

The previous handheld Animal Crossing game sold over 5 million copies in Japan alone. It was a big franchise before the 3DS version :)

That was the last time they made big changes to the series. It has been the same game remade over and over. This is the first one in a long time that has a lot of new original content.

Bruno MB

I've noticed that it has never left the Media Create Top 50, in fact last week was 35th.

So in the last 2 months it has constantly been selling about 1.500 - 2.500 units per week.

Its current total sales should be around 160.000.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That was the last time they made big changes to the series. It has been the same game remade over and over. This is the first one in a long time that has a lot of new original content.

You said that like there were a dozen different Animal Crossing games between Wild World and New Leaf.

As a whole, they will be significant, no question about that.

Wii was no logical upsell for a DS owner. There were separate products in most regards.
Wii U and 3DS now share lots of things & owning both machines makes the experience complete.
I think you're really overestimating the impact these features will have:

How many people are really going to utilize cross-play and consider it even a semi-important reason to pick up a U? come on

- Wii U eShop spendings will generate 3DS eShop discounts.
This will have a significant impact? come on :-/

- Nintendo Direct videos on 3DS entice people to buy a Wii U.
I'm not sure what these are exactly, trailers? they can get trailers/videos online from anywhere

- Miiverse will add a communication/competitive layer between friends/family members. Japanese people will monitor their Wii U records/messages anytime of day from their 3DS.
This sounds like an ideal PR fantasy

- People playing a Nintendo handheld all day are more likely to plug a Nintendo console on their TV (moreso if it's HD, if the GamePad is a TV remote and if they can use it to play while someone else watches TV - but that's another story).
If they're playing a handheld all day, they probably don't want to play consoles when they get home unless they're super addicted to gaming.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, I forgot that.
Still very nice.
Yep, good sales indeed :)

It is not confirmed that Smash Bros will have cross play, only that they will interact with eachother one way or the other. For it to be true cross play, the 3DS version would have to be the exact same game as the WiiU game. Or, they could go the route of offering partial equal stuff too (like Sony did in Wipeout 2048 for Vita, where it has selected tracks from the PS3 version that allows cross play).

ohlawd

How many people are really going to utilize cross-play? come on

I'm not sure what these are exactly, trailers? they can get trailers/videos online from anywhere

If they're playing a handheld all day, they probably don't want to play consoles when they get home unless they're super addicted to gaming.

... Come on! You never know with the crossplay. Vita crossplay probably never gets used because no one owns the system anyway.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Why does Vita NEED that?

Let it die and have Sony move on to more promising ventures outside handheld gaming.

It may be questionable if it's for the better of Sony, if they drop Vita'a price and attempt a relaunch instead of dropping the Vita, but it definitely is better for the Vita and at the current point, if Vita wants to live on, it needs it.

watershed

Banned

You do realize there was only one AC game between the ds and 3ds entries right? So not counting the Japanese re-releases there's the original AC which was presumably fresh, then the ds entry which you say made big changes to the series, then the wii entry which was largely a rehash, and now the 3ds entry which again makes big changes/adds a lot of new original content to the series.

Got a source that the 3DS sells more than android devices in Japan? I would be interested in seeing such stats.

Well, as of the end of 2011 there were 16,000,000-17,000,000 active Android devices (phones/3-4G Tablets) in Japan and 6,300,000-7,400,000 active iPhones/iPads (these numbers only include devices on a 3G and/or 4G plan, active) (http://www.venturenow.jp/column/miyoshi/20120215017537.html), and considering that last month Android Tablets outsold iPads for the first time in Japan (http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20121108-00000008-asahi-ind), I would say that Android is doing pretty well in Japan these days.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah there's no crossplay in Smash (and thank goodness for that) - just two different games.

I don't think it was the entire franchise, just one game. And for whatever reason, I thought the game mentioned was NSMB. I could be wrong.

Like I said, it could be a different game - I just remember it being compared and still say a DS game being more profitable.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It'll easily sell more.

Way too soon to tell, we dont know when a potential 3DS version would be released and how far L5 has damaged the IP with its platform jumping. Remember Kingdom Hearts 3D....

... Come on! You never know with the crossplay. Vita crossplay probably never gets used because no one owns the system anyway.

Yeah Vita is the only other example I can think of atm so that might not be a good indicator but still, i have yet to see any cross-play feature be a significant factor in sales. It's probably something a very small % of people would use, let alone consider it as a key purchasing point for a console.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I said "combined", but still:

How many people are really going to utilize cross-play? come on
Fans
Where people see shared value, they see an incentive.
Main difference is these messages are pushed/sure to hit while the audience is captive.
We'll see, that's the main point of Miiverse and I don't see why it wouldn't happen just like that.
Wii U is by design a pretty fantastic local multiplayer machine. If gamers have friends or a family, they'll get an incentive to play together.

I keep getting close to pushing Buy on a Vita at Amazon, but I just can't do it at 250. There's no way with these lousy sales numbers that it can stay at this price much longer.

PhantomR

Banned
Time to formally put Reggie and Kimishima on notice. Yes the market conditions are different here in NA, but there's still no excuse for how far behind 3DS is lagging here compared to Japan. The fact that I'm seeing no holiday/black Friday 3DS hardware bundles like we normally do is telling.

Either deliver the results, or find someone else who will.

Top Bottom