• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2012 (Nov 26 - Dec 02)

AniHawk

"I wish Nintendo would stop making fun games because I don't like the genre they are."

Nintendo Land is a tougher sell than Wii Sports ever was and may not pull in the same numbers, but it doesn't mean it isn't fun. What is so bad about them making it as a launch title, as opposed to NSMBU or Wii Sports 3?

i feel like nintendo land is a real cynical grab for the people who play facebook games and ios games. 'now that you played this version, you dumb fucks will love the full game!'

wii sports and nintendogs and brain age felt like honest-to-god experimentation with hardware. and more than that, there was a clear idea of what those things were. the ideas behind those machines were very easily communicated. 'oh, it's a bat. oh, i can pet the dog. oh, i just enter my answer here.' and more importantly, it was new and different.

i might not be so negative about nintendoland had it been a ds game in 2005 or even 2006 (yeah yeah, i know a lot uses motion controls, but they could have had that on the ds as well). but nintendo's had eight years to figure out touch screen controls and they couldn't deliver one piece of software that shows off what makes the platform so unique or what it could add to a game experience. i mean, ubisoft did, but that's probably due to montpellier and michel ancel's guys.

nsmbu is another game in the mario franchise. it's sort of a known quantity. wii sports 3 would be like nintendogs + cats- a lazy effort (like wii fit u), but not a super cynical one.

DrWong

i feel like nintendo land is a real cynical grab for the people who play facebook games and ios games. 'now that you played this version, you dumb fucks will love the full game!'
Nintendo Land is a "full game". It's even like 3 " full games" packaged together in term of content and depth. I already know I will need a lot of time to complete it and it comes with a lot of replay value.

m.i.s.

Banned
Nintendo Land is a "full game". It's even like 3 " full games" packaged together in term of content and depth. I already know I will need a lot of time to complete it and it comes with a lot of replay value.

A full game but a $60 full game? I didn't really see much depth when I played it. It has progression and levels sure, but I wouldn't necessarily characterise that as "depth".

AniHawk

I play the first thing you mentioned. Well whatever. Nobody has to argue with your feelings.

i don't think there's anything wrong with those games. i think nintendo's attempts to grab that audience is short-sighted, and they can provide more unique experiences in other ways.

Fabrik

Banned
i hope nintendoland failing to become the next wii sports means nintendo knocks that shit off in the future. bad enough they decided to make that and basically the same sort of game with game & wario right afterward.

Nintendoland is probably the greatest original local multiplayer game in the last 6 years.

DrWong

A full game but a $60 full game? I didn't really see much depth when I played it. It has progression and levels sure, but I wouldn't necessarily characterise that as "depth".
And how would you characterise "depth"? Because progression / Levels / gameplay variety-innovation / full of rewards / social dimension (miis popping in your Nintendo Land plaza-miiverse msg) / visually pleasing... Missing a scenario?

They are reliable because they are a retailer that are showing a rank of games sold on their stores only.

They're not a sales tracker for the entire market. They're simply another Amazon and Comgnet ranking (just a bigger retailer, although I'm don't know if they sell more games than either).

I see, so Media Create and Famitsu charts may be different.

m.i.s.

Banned
And how would you characterise "depth"? Because progression / Levels / gameplay variety-innovation / full of rewards / social dimension (miis popping in your Nintendo Land plaza-miiverse msg) / visually pleasing... Missing a scenario?

Speaking only for myself, I found it repetitive and shallow. For example, the Yoshi game, the octopus dancing game, the Zelda game, the DK game, the balloon trip game and the Captain Falcon game -- all with limited objectives and fairly perfunctory touch screen and motion mechanics often done better on the DS and the Wii itself. The whole premise of the game is that it is a mini game collection -- Nintendo favourites that were once full retail games downgraded to a more limited scope and gameplay design.

Multi-player, too, follows a similar grain to previous Nintendo games. The Assymetric gameplay has been done before - though on a fairly limited level.

DrWong

Speaking only for myself, I found it repetitive and shallow. For example, the Yoshi game, the octopus dancing game, the Zelda game, the DK game, the balloon trip game and the Captain Falcon game with limited objectives and fairly perfunctory touch screen mechanics often done better on the DS. I guess my argument is that the whole premise of the game is that it is a mini game collection. Nintendo favourites that were once full retail games are now given a more limited scope and gameplay design.

Multi-player, too, follows a similar grain to previous Nintendo games. The Assymetric gameplay has been done before - though on a fairly limited level.

You know what? From your list I only really played the Zelda and DK games. I'm playing the Zelda game with my son and we're at stage 7 and it's already a fun experience, with simple but cool coop' mechanism/dynamic. And great visuals on its own style. DK is a f... addictive and "simple to control but really hard to master" gyroscopic plateformer game. A great mini-game. I think perception according to tastes is at work here. And I'm ok with it, I can understand.

urfe

I see, so Media Create and Famitsu charts may be different.

I see no reason why people who shop at other stores would have different spending habits, but it's possible.

It's funny, I didn't feel ripped off when I had to buy Wii Sports separately, but I really don't want to have to buy Nintendoland separately. Thinking about waiting a year before picking one up, or until there's a better deal for Japan.

That is definitely not true. The most fun I have is with the Mario chase mini game, and there are only three fucking stages. Not nearly enough depth. I would have loved Nintendo to make a full version of this game, and have different modes, and different scenarios maybe with a karting mode.

Other than that is is a bunch of single player mini games with a couple of gems like the Yoshi line drawing, but that could easily be done on the DS.

Well, there was no need for swearing. Certainly some games (Donkey Kong, F-Zero, Yoshi) offer experiences similar to those on Facebook/IOS, others offer experiences and play styles much deeper than what I assume the average player (I assume you're looking at the Angry Birds/Farmville crowd, rather than the TWENYios Crowd) would be used to on that system. None of the single-player games offer the same amount of content as Angry Birds on their own, either.

wii sports and nintendogs and brain age felt like honest-to-god experimentation with hardware. and more than that, there was a clear idea of what those things were. the ideas behind those machines were very easily communicated. 'oh, it's a bat. oh, i can pet the dog. oh, i just enter my answer here.' and more importantly, it was new and different.

Maybe it is cynical of them - but the casual market is now playing these sorts of games, so I can't fault them for including them to try and lure some people in.

i might not be so negative about nintendoland had it been a ds game in 2005 or even 2006 (yeah yeah, i know a lot uses motion controls, but they could have had that on the ds as well). but nintendo's had eight years to figure out touch screen controls and they couldn't deliver one piece of software that shows off what makes the platform so unique or what it could add to a game experience. i mean, ubisoft did, but that's probably due to montpellier and michel ancel's guys.

Well, it couldn't have been multiplayer in the same way on the DS, but apart from that I feel like Yoshi, Pikmin, and Luigi's Mansion offer a good taste of what could be possible with a more deep experience. Ubisoft did out do them in regards to innovating with the controller - but a 3rd party doing something like that on a Nintendo Console should be celebrated, in my opinion. I honestly do hope Zombi U cracks whatever arbitrary number required for a sequel, because (even with my short time with the game), I can see how rushed the team was to get the thing out for launch and a bit more time and knowledge (and budget, hopefully) could lead to something even more special.

Anyway, I know it's a $60 in the US, but Japanese pricing puts it ~1,000 yen lower than NSMBU and ~2,000 less than most 3rd party titles, which might help give it some legs (along with positive word-of-mouth). It's also possible they'll bundle it here eventually to try and move some units.

wii sports 3 would be like nintendogs + cats- a lazy effort (like wii fit u), but not a super cynical one.

I don't think Nintendogs + Cats was lazy, per say, just iterative. Wii Sports 3 is coming and, like Nintendogs + Cats, I don't blame them for trying because Resort still managed to sell ~30M, if I remember correctly. Perhaps they'll bundle Sports with the Basic Set over next summer/when it launches.

Not even close

I know it may be obvious to you, but I'd like to know which one(s) you consider better.

DrWong

That is definitely not true. The most fun I have is with the Mario chase mini game, and there are only three fucking stages. Not nearly enough depth. I would have loved Nintendo to make a full version of this game, and have different modes, and different scenarios maybe with a karting mode.

Other than that is is a bunch of single player mini games with a couple of gems like the Yoshi line drawing, but that could easily be done on the DS.

I don't know what you're qualifying as untrue in my post as I made a general statement about Nintendo Land as a whole and not only about one of its attractions, which is your argument. But I don't want to derail the thread so let's stop this here.

crinale

I've read some reports that Yakuza 5 isn't selling well as Yakuza 4, so SMBU positioning lower than that at Tsutaya ranking is not a good sign. MH3GHD lower than second week of Super Robot Wars, or even third week of Hot Shot Golf 6 is even worse, considering that in Tsutaya ranking Nintendo hardware games usually do better than media create average.

Well, it's the launching week of WiiU so the result may be different. We'll see.

I've read some reports that Yakuza 5 isn't selling well as Yakuza 4, so SMBU positioning lower than that at Tsutaya ranking is not a good sign. MH3GHD lower than second week of Super Robot Wars, or even third week of Hot Shot Golf 6 is even worse, considering that in Tsutaya ranking Nintendo hardware games usually do better than media create average.

Well, it's the launching week of WiiU so the result may be different. We'll see.

Don't forget there's the bundle for monster hunter

Spiegel

Y5 selling worse than Y4 will still mean 300k+ FW for the game, almost assuredly.
I don't think anyone expected 300k+ for Mario in the first week. If it does, let's say ~100k, then yes, it would be a very disappointing number. Or not, depending on how many consoles they put on the market.

crinale

Y5 selling worse than Y4 will still mean 300k+ FW for the game, almost assuredly.
I don't think anyone expected 300k+ for Mario in the first week. If it does, let's say ~100k, then yes, it would be a very disappointing number. Or not, depending on how many consoles they put on the market.

It seems like the number they have shipped is shitty. The thing is, they sold out on Sundays so shipment may be "just right" after all.

If they really run out of stock then I won't say anything, but if it is Nintendo's strategy to ship just less than the demand, then I don't think that's a good idea.

Tratorn

Hm, I thought we would get some wiiu first day sales from famitsu today?
Didn't they release first day numbers for vita and 3ds?

They didn't bundle Wii sports in with the Wii either.

I know, but this time around I am not sure NintendoLand is going to sell nearli as much as WiiSports, although it may show some legs in the long run.

I think it's smart and a good gesture for them to bundle a third party game with the Wii u at launch.

Agreed here, smart move both ZombiU and MH3U bundles, it bodes well for third-party support from Ubisoft, Capcom and Square-Enix to begin with.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
In the meanwhile, we've had some possibly interesting announcements recently

[PS3/PSVita] One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2
[3DS] Starry Sky - In Spring 3D - 04/25/2013
[3DS] Super Robot Taisen UX - 03/14/2013 ( with bundle)
[PS3/PSVita] Project Versus J

Bandai Namco is confirmed to be the only one supporting Vita with PS3 multi releases so far.

Kenka

Numbers in a few hours, will be interesting to see how (if) Wii U numbers affected other platforms.
The Sony family will probably remain largely untouched given the fact that the strong pillars of its library haven't been announced on WiiU so far.

It is safe also to assume the 3DS numbers are on par with the previous week. Wii on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if its sales were divided by 3.

Famitsu: famitsu.com/news/201212/12025863.html

Media Create: http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20121212048/

Nice! Wii U as expected, Vita cracks 10,000, and a decent debut for the first Paper Mario handheld game, no?

001.gif

'Nintendo Land'

Top Bottom