• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

Mik317

haha, geez. it's comments like this that start upsetting people.

Oh don't misconstrue me post.

I simply meant to stop trying to rain on the parade of those who are happy about these sales.

I probably should have left that last part out but more than likely we will be back to the doom and gloom tommorow.

I for one enjoy good news more than the bad. It's good to have a nintendo thread that isn't depressing. We need more of those. So having people come in with but but the 3ds is down this year and it's only Christmas.. See me again next week. Kinda ruins the fun times lol.

I hope this is the start of something consistent fir the wii u tho

But will a very niche title on a ded console generate money for both?

As least Bayonetta 2 has the potential to make decent dosh for both parties

At this point its not about making money, its just about getting games out for the system. Nintendo's shown the willingness to spend money even if it doesn't sell well, i.e W101.

UNCMark

Banned
At this point its not about making money, its just about getting games out for the system. Nintendo's shown the willingness to spend money even if it doesn't sell well, i.e W101.

Nintendo should be applauded for bringing games like W101 out. Even if they don't sell well.

Nibel

Let the Nintendo fans have this.

There has been nothing but doom and gloom lately. Don't rain on their small parade.

Bu-but next week or well the 3ds is not doing ds numbers.

Let them have their cake.

Tommorow the npd bomb will hit and it will return to the regular scheduled program.

Didn't see this one :lol
Not much to miscontrue Mik317, I'm glad that you seem to get what this is all about

There has been nothing but doom and gloom lately. Don't rain on their small parade.

Tommorow the npd bomb will hit and it will return to the regular scheduled program.
Yea. They may have won the battle...but they haven't won the war.

Takao

Banned
The only way I can see SMTxFE existing on Wii U is if Nintendo develops it. I can't see Atlus devoting resources to something that likely won't do all that well. If it moves to 3DS I can see them working on it.

Windforce

Amazing Wii U recovery, also SM3DW with amazing legs.

Vita doing fine considering no new games.

Wondering when PS3 will hit 10M lifetime sales in Japan. It's been slow...

wrowa

The only way I can see SMTxFE existing on Wii U is if Nintendo develops it. I can't see Atlus devoting resources to something that likely won't do all that well. If it moves to 3DS I can see them working on it.

I don't see what would have changed between now and last January. If Nintendo contracted Atlus to develop the game for Wii U, the contract still holds. Since Atlus will get their money regardless of sales, I don't see why software sales would be much of a factor.

Sure, Sega might have changed something about this, but why would they want to harm the relationship with Nintendo when Sega has already shown themselves that they don't have a problem with selling exclusivity to Nintendo?

BlackJace

What would've changed? Atlus and Nintendo seemed to be doing quite well together.

Intelligent Systems is co-developing it w/ Atlus. Nintendo is footing the bill for the game so I dont know why Atlus/Sega wouldn't work on a job they're guaranteed pay for. Just like w/ Platinum and W101/Bayo 2 it doesn't affect them if the games don't bring in any money because its Nintendo thats covering all the costs.

nordique

Very nice to see the Wii U perform well this week, even if it is the "holiday effect"...48k sales is still 48k sales for a system that has otherwise been anemic.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
A few thoughts

-I was expecting another jump for Wii U this week, but this is higher than I thought.

-Wii U isn't saved, and I'm almost positive January sales will revert to the gutter.

-But..I do think we are seeing signs that the traditional Nintendo constituencies are still interested in the platform, i.e the Nintendo hardcore fans and families. So maybe a GCN LTD is still achievable.

-With Smash and Mario Kart and a price drop I do think 2014 could be a better year than 2013..again, not that that would be too impressive.

-Taiko and Mario stayed about flat. I expect another 4 weeks of good holiday sales for those 2 titles. They will both still disappoint, but perhaps not as badly as originally feared.

Takao

Banned
Intelligent Systems is co-developing it w/ Atlus. Nintendo is footing the bill for the game so I dont know why Atlus/Sega wouldn't work on a job they're guaranteed pay for. Just like w/ Platinum and W101/Bayo 2 it doesn't affect them if the games don't bring in any money because its Nintendo thats covering all the costs.

Unlike Platinum who presumably wasn't going to get much work if they didn't take on Wonderful 101 (evident by the rumored XB1 exclusive) Atlus could devote that staff elsewhere to more viable projects.

Metallix87

Unlike Platinum who presumably wasn't going to get much work if they didn't take on Wonderful 101 (evident by the rumored XB1 exclusive) Atlus could devote that staff elsewhere to more viable projects.

How do we know it won't be "viable"? Fire Emblem is on the upswing recently, and SMT has a strong niche fanbase. I think it could do well for all parties, honestly, with the right expectations.

But everything isn't all rosy this week in Wii U land---Mario & Sonic launched below 8K...Dragon Quest X for Wii U debuted with 61.7% the sales of the Wii version, despite the Wii being a dead console in Japan...the third-party situation is still dire with 12/11/2013 having the final third-party Wii U release until February...you know, stuff like that.

I expected the appearance of numbers like 45K given the fact that Nintendo has been investing a TON into marketing lately.

What the Wii U needed was exposure, and in Japan...hell, everywhere, it has started to get it. I seldom go through a sitting on TV here in the UK without at least one Wii U advert (mostly 3D World). Japan is getting similar. No idea about America.

Now it is in the public's mind, they just have to keep bringing software and it should have a higher baseline and increases with new software.

At least, that is what I hope.

Exactly...even in the USA, I've seen Wii U ads on Hulu, Wii U ads during football games, Wii U ads walking down the street...Nintendo is making a worldwide push for this console to succeed throughout the 2013 Holiday season.

In Japan it's resulted in GameCube-level numbers for the week. I really hope we'll see the console gain momentum throughout the remainder of the year.

Metallix87

I'm upset that Nintendo is achiving these sales despite their horrible decision making.

Failure should not be rewarded.

2vbs9wz.gif

Takao

Banned
-Taiko and Mario stayed about flat. I expect another 4 weeks of good holiday sales for those 2 titles. They will both still disappoint, but perhaps not as badly as originally feared.

You realize that Taiko is currently sitting at less than 10% of what the last one on Wii did, right?

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition - 385,970
[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! - 33.261

I imagine it could crawl to over 100k, but that's not a particularly good result. I suspect the franchise might just head to 3DS exclusivity for a bit.

How do we know it won't be "viable"? Fire Emblem is on the upswing recently, and SMT has a strong niche fanbase. I think it could do well for all parties, honestly, with the right expectations.

Notice which platforms the games you're mentioning are on. As I said, I can see Atlus devoting staff to a 3DS release, but Wii U? That staff is better off working on another Persona 3 release.

Metallix87

Notice which platforms the games you're mentioning are on. As I said, I can see Atlus devoting staff to a 3DS release, but Wii U? That staff is better off working on another Persona 3 release.

I honestly doubt that much staff overall will be working on this title. It'll likely be a primarily IS endeavor, and in that case, it's almost like Atlus is getting free money. There's literally no reason not to take on this deal, and given their close ties to Nintendo, both before and after the acquisition by Sega, it's likely very good business.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm upset that Nintendo is achiving these sales despite their horrible decision making.

Failure should not be rewarded.
The reason for why WiiU is a failure is because people arent interested enough in buying it for different reasons. If people starts being interested in it again, its technically not a failure anymore (generally speaking, not specifically about WiiU). And Super Mario 3D World is apparently a very good game, so it deservers to see success, and people need hardware so they can play the game.

Takao

Banned
I honestly doubt that much staff overall will be working on this title. It'll likely be a primarily IS endeavor, and in that case, it's almost like Atlus is getting free money. There's literally no reason not to take on this deal, and given their close ties to Nintendo, both before and after the acquisition by Sega, it's likely very good business.

So where exactly is this argument coming from? My first post on that subject in this thread:

Intelligent Systems is Nintendo. The point of contention here is if Atlus is actually heavily involved in the game's development. We don't know, because the game's announcement was the Nintendo equivalent of Bioshock Vita, and Resident Evil Portable.

what is this I don't even

did the Wii U failing last year break your mind and make you suddenly hate Nintendo

I don't hate Nintendo...

I'm was extremely pleased at Nintendo's Wii success. But it seems like we have the old Nintendo back and the Wii was just a fluke. I was hoping Wii success was a sign of the company transforming into something tgat can compete with the likes of Apple, Google, Samsung.

Its kinda funny we continue seeing this when Nintendo have had a negative operating profit (AKA lose) since the 3DS been released.

Eh, most of that was due to exchange rates. It's ironic that a couple years where Nintendo was doing well wound up looking bad because of exchange rates, and then the last report wound up being positive when it really should have looked awful, again due to the exchange rate, this time being in their favor.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Intelligent Systems is Nintendo. The point of contention here is if Atlus is actually heavily involved in the game's development. We don't know, because the game's announcement was the Nintendo equivalent of Bioshock Vita, and Resident Evil Portable.

I kind of assumed it was by the Devil Survivor people.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You realize that Taiko is currently sitting at less than 10% of what the last one on Wii did, right?

[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition - 385,970
[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! - 33.261

I imagine it could crawl to over 100k, but that's not a particularly good result. I suspect the franchise might just head to 3DS exclusivity for a bit.

Err...I explicitly stated sales will disappoint but perhaps not as bad as feared after the 1st weeks sales.

What is there to dispute?

Its kinda funny we continue seeing this when Nintendo have had a negative operating profit (AKA lose) since the 3DS been released.

Severe price reductions for 3DS / Wii and inventory markdowns primarily contributed to operating losses in FY3/2012...significantly reduced net sales (due to the worldwide decline of the Wii) also contributed to that.

Diminished revenue and a net loss for every Wii U console sold resulted in a operating loss for FY3/2013.

At the moment, the 3DS is profitable for Nintendo. You have to look at the unique situation of each year, otherwise you might falsely conclude that the 3DS is currently giving Nintendo an operating loss.

The issue is that Nintendo doesn't have a revenue stream (home console) that sufficiently supplements the income that the 3DS brings in...so they end up losing money on their normal business operations. But, I agree that the 3DS definitely isn't an equal substitute to the incredible profits the DS used to bring in.

Busaiku

But will a very niche title on a ded console generate money for both?

As least Bayonetta 2 has the potential to make decent dosh for both parties

The last 2 entires in both series were big sellers, and with Super Smash Bros to push Fire Emblem further, it's not exactly that niche.
Though it is on a dead system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There is no reason why FE x SMT wouldn't be in development, just because WiiU sales are disappointing doesn't mean that Atlus can just ignore the project and their contact with Nintendo. If this project was as fragule as you belive I don't understand the US SMT4 x Fire Emblem Promotion.

But yeah I wouldn't be shocked if they put it on 3DS, which will only happen if the WiiU gets the next Main FE title instead of the 3DS. Right now I still think the 3DS will get another FE title and SMT x FE will still be on WiiU.

Sakura

I hope you are not serious. As much as I hate SAO, it is a big series currently in Japan and many of the fanbase overlap with video gamers due to the nature of the story, all with strong following. If GGO/SAO S2 announced for spring, expected it to break 500k sales in first week. Although such blockbuster anime usually reserved for summer slot.

500k for a licensed generic anime game? On the Vita? Surely you're joking. I'd be surprised if it sold 200k first week.

Probably not if those NPD projections are even close to true. Now the thing about momentum is that it actually requires a consistent release schedule and no this does not mean 1 game every month. You can't have weeks of no releases which the Wii U is looking down.

What NPD projections? Pachter?

Metallix87

We don't know, because the game's announcement was the Nintendo equivalent of Bioshock Vita, and Resident Evil Portable.

Listen, while Sony tends to do that kind of stuff, Nintendo rarely does. Heck, even Persona 3DS has become a reality, despite all the naysayers.

A few thoughts

-I was expecting another jump for Wii U this week, but this is higher than I thought.

-Wii U isn't saved, and I'm almost positive January sales will revert to the gutter.

-But..I do think we are seeing signs that the traditional Nintendo constituencies are still interested in the platform, i.e the Nintendo hardcore fans and families. So maybe a GCN LTD is still achievable.

-With Smash and Mario Kart and a price drop I do think 2014 could be a better year than 2013..again, not that that would be too impressive.

2014 has to be a better year than 2013. It can't get worse. With Mario Kart 8, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong, X (?), Bayonetta 2...there are enough reasons to buy this console + 3D World.
I don't expect Zelda to release in 2014.

BTW: Any games for january? that could be....brutal

But: This console isn't dead. It just needs games.

I'm really curious about NPD sales tomorrow though (Pachter is wrong btw).

Busaiku

I dunno how accurate GameFAQ's release list is, but it lists 0 games for January.
Only game releasing between now and February is Monster Hunter Frontier G.

Yeah, it's gonna get bad.

They're getting paid either way so I dont really see what the problem is here. They could devote their time to a project where they foot the bill and hey yeah they might even make a nice profit on it but what happens if they dont, oh thats on them. Or they can work on a project where they dont need to worry about profits because Nintendo covers the costs and they get paid.

Frillen

The Wii U will be back to irrelevancy in mid January.

So what's the Japanese reaction to Zelda ALBW anyway? Is there more hype compared to PH/ST?

ccbfan

Severe price reductions for 3DS / Wii and inventory markdowns primarily contributed to operating losses in FY3/2012...significantly reduced net sales (due to the worldwide decline of the Wii) also contributed to that.

Diminished revenue and a net loss for every Wii U console sold resulted in a operating loss for FY3/2013.

At the moment, the 3DS is profitable for Nintendo. You have to look at the unique situation of each year, otherwise you might falsely conclude that the 3DS is currently giving Nintendo an operating loss.

The issue is that Nintendo doesn't have a revenue stream (home console) that sufficiently supplements the income that the 3DS brings in...so they end up losing money on their normal business operations. But, I agree that the 3DS definitely isn't an equal substitute to the incredible profits the DS used to bring in.

I guess you know more than most since you're a shareholder but do we really know how much money Nintendo makes off the 3ds?

The 3DS does well in Japan and hardware sales are OK in the NA/PAL but software sales are horrendous and thats with every big gun released on the 3ds already.

For a conservative company like Nintendo, losses are rare, they're pretty much the king of profit.

I dunno how accurate GameFAQ's release list is, but it lists 0 games for January.
Only game releasing between now and February is Monster Hunter Frontier G.

Yeah, it's gonna get bad.

That's accurate...the next third-party Wii U release in Japan is Puyo Puyo Tetris from Sega (February 6th).

After that? Who knows. I don't think any other concrete dates have been announced.

Metallix87

That's accurate...the next third-party Wii U release in Japan is Puyo Puyo Tetris from Sega (February 6th).

After that? Who knows. I don't think any other concrete dates have been announced.

Hopefully, we get a Nintendo Direct this month with more information about Q1 for all regions.

Sakura

I guess you know more than most since you're a shareholder but do we really know how much money Nintendo makes off the 3ds?

The 3DS does well in Japan and hardware sales are OK in the NA/PAL but software sales are horrendous and thats with every big gun released on the 3ds already.

For a conservative company like Nintendo, losses are rare, they're pretty much the king of profit.

Are software sales horrendous? Is that just because there is less software out? From what I see of the first party stuff, almost all of it seems to sell about as good as prior gen releases if not better.

ccbfan

Are software sales horrendous? Is that just because there is less software out? From what I see of the first party stuff, almost all of it seems to sell about as good as prior gen releases if not better.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

lowest attach rate of any Nintendo system.

Not sure about per game but at the end of the day. Total numbers is what matters which is why you want high hardware sales (Which is why I wouldn't say Vita is more successful than 3DS even though it has a much higher attach rate)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

In Japan, third party sales were about on par with DS at the same amount of time after release (IIRC, that was before MH4), but first party sales are massively lower, due to titles like Brain Age and Nintendogs falling off a cliff, since many other Nintendo titles enjoyes sales on par, if not much higher than on DS. I'd say it's probably the same elsewhere. This without considering all the digital only titles, not counted in fiscal reports (only download SKUs of retail titles are counted).

NPDton. I think people are more interested in how PS4 vs XB1 fares out tbh. That will probably be the main discussion in the thread and the the reason gaf dies.

Top Bottom