• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2013 (Dec 02 - Dec 08)

Thorgal

All right then, I'll give them a couple of days since people have to get to a wi-fi connection and then the page has to update, but I'm quite interested to see where it goes during the weekend.

Wait ... i might have misunderstood this ,but are you two saying there are signs that DQ 8 cratered on phones ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait ... i might have misunderstood this ,but are you two saying there signs that DQ 8
cratered on phones ?

Well on Android they currently have 1000-5000 installs. I don't know if that's a live count, but it's what's on their store page here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq8j

For iOS the reviews don't tell us much as they reset every time there is an update (unless he used total reviews), and people don't always review, so we won't really be able to tell there outside of the Japanese top grossing charts for iPhone and iPad (they're separate), which is the most useful metric.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well on Android they currently have 1000-5000 installs. I don't know if that's a live count, but it's what's on their store page here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq8j

For iOS the reviews don't tell us much as they reset every time there is an update (unless he used total reviews), and people don't always review, so we won't really be able to tell there outside of the top grossing chart, which is the most useful metric.

Mmh, yeah, where's DQVIII in the top grossing chart? Anyone can check?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mmh, yeah, where's DQVIII in the top grossing chart? Anyone can check?

Usually Square Enix games do pretty well in them, at least in the West for a week or two, which translates to a healthy chunk of change given how much money is flying around.

It's not like 1-1.5 million copies of a Japanese 3DS game money, but given that these things are straight ports it's a healthy income.

This is $28 so if it's selling at a decent rate it should pop-up pretty high when they refresh the chart throughout the day.

cafemomo

well no DQ ads while I was playing pictolgicaFF and no mention of it at all on their SQ Market site.
Hcvdlw9.png

RM8

Wow at P&DZ. Could it be 3DS' Christmas surprise? I thought Pocket Monster Hunter X/Y would dominate.

Busaiku

To be fair, I think in 3 weeks time, Pokemon could be back on top.
There's no way Monster Hunter's gonna compete though.

L~A

Actually, Amazon got 6 copies left in stock. But yeah, that's pretty impressive. It's not going to do Pokémon numbers, but that's damn impressive. Pretty good news for the 3DS, since that version was apparently planned at the same time as the smartphone version. Can't wait for the first sales data :)

No, P&D Z is backordered on Amazon as well. Looks like it's doing really well for starters.

To be fair, I think in 3 weeks time, Pokemon could be back on top.
There's no way Monster Hunter's gonna compete though.
Yeah, MH4 seems to be stable at 20k. I actually expected it to rise during the holiday sales windows but it's just steady. Pokemon will continue to increase week on week though I don't think it'll match Black/White just yet.

L~A

...it is? doesn't look like it on Amazon

That's because it's currently sold by a third-party seller (explains why I saw "6 copies left" before). Normal price is around 3580Yens, that's more than 1000 Yens cheaper than Nintendo games (which are usually amongts the cheapest 3DS games).

That's because it's currently sold by a third-party seller (explains why I saw "6 copies left" before). Normal price is around 3580Yens, that's more than 1000 Yens cheaper than Nintendo games (which are usually amongts the cheapest 3DS games).
It's 4,400 yen MSRP, which is still cheaper than your standard 3DS game I guess?

you guys lied to me about the 100 yen=1 USD thing >_>

though, actually looking at the prices for once....wtf?
(LR is 7770 yen, can we say OVERPRICED)

Thorgal

For iOS the reviews don't tell us much as they reset every time there is an update (unless he used total reviews), and people don't always review, so we won't really be able to tell there outside of the Japanese top grossing charts for iPhone and iPad (they're separate), which is the most useful metric.

Yeah it is pretty premature to make anything out of this .

Although i expected this to sell like gangbusters. so when i read 5000 installed i had a "Wait what?" moment.

Mpl90

Yeah it is pretty premature to make anything out of this .

Although i expected this to sell like gangbusters. so when i read 5000 installed i had a "Wait what?" moment.

Well, that's what is said on the Play Store page of the game, so it's undeniable that it had an horrible start there, even counting the supposed lack of promotion (an user from another forum stated that the game has been advertised by DoCoMo itself, and it's featured on Play Store's home. Can anyone confirm the latter, at least?), but it's still better to see how it'll performed in the next two days.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I do wonder if this doesn't go quite as planned if they'll return to handheld development or just try, try, try, again.

Mpl90

It just updated. It says 5,000 - 10,000 now. So, does this mean it sold between that number during the first 26-28 hours?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Couldn't be more pleased with P&D, knew it would be a success; hopefully it will improve 3DS hardware sales significantly going into late December.

Tripon

sörine;93495061 said:
I don't think handheld development really stopped. Doesn't seem like and either/or thing with DQ on 3DS vs smartphones.
I think its pretty clear that DQ11 will be on smartphones, and it might be the first time DQ doesn't make money.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
sörine;93495061 said:
I don't think handheld development really stopped. Doesn't seem like an either/or thing with DQ on 3DS vs smartphones.

Talking more about if DQXI is ios exclusive, cross platform etc with plans to move mostly to ios like a lot of franchises.

sörine

Banned
I think P&DZ is a deceptively important release for Nintendo. It really could help the argument for bringing full games over from mobile and maybe stem the tide of developers switching over entirely in Japan.

I sort of wonder if Nintendo will pick it up themselves for the western release?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do wonder if this doesn't go quite as planned if they'll return to handheld development or just try, try, try, again.

Well, here's their last statement on the matter: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20130527_01en.pdf

Part 1: They can't ignore the smartphone/tablet market.

This slide shows the diffusion and further growth of smart 
devices (including game consoles), and as we publish games, 
we simply cannot ignore smart phones and tablets.

Part 2: They want to make the types of games they're traditionally known for on consoles/handhelds for smartphones. They will also keep making social games and remakes for the platforms.

Within our game portfolio, in particular the portfolio of 
SQUARE ENIX Japan, we have a structure split between, on the 
one hand, game console‐oriented products (including 
handheld consoles), within which many games are focused on 
single‐player, carefully played titles, and on the other hand, 
smart phone, tablet and PC‐oriented titles whose focus is on 
multiplayer and event‐driven style social games. 
On the basis of the progress of recent devices, moving 
forward we are thinking to push into publishing games on 
smart phones and tablets, which we had hitherto only 
published on game consoles, in particular our strong‐point of 
single‐player, story‐driven games, etc. I have already given 
these instructions to our development teams, and we are
moving ahead with this effort.

Part 3: They will rework their business models/monetization strategies until they find something that works, since they know simply releasing a good game is not enough if the business model doesn't fit the platform.

Until now we have published games on these devices such as 
remakes of our old titles or turning our old franchises into 
social games, but going forward, in addition to these efforts, 
we will create new game titles of similar type. 

The most difficult part here is the earnings model. The prior 
packaged software sales model was a simple world calculated 
by quantity times price. The optimal business structure for 
this world involved separating development from sales and 
marketing, and having each specialize in their particular 
function. From now, we need to move toward a more flexible 
business structure. 

Therefore, it is not enough to simply develop a "good 
game," we have to think about what kind of game we want to 
present to our customers, how our customers will enjoy the 
game, and how we will receive compensation from our 
customers, which requires development, marketing and sales 
to unite in the creation of our games. Even in cases where the 
business model is a simple pay‐per‐download, we have to 
think of how to expand. 

It is critical to provide new titles where various revenue 
models such as pay‐per‐download, F2P, PDLC, and hybrids of 
them, are unified with the game design.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
sörine;93495667 said:
I think P&DZ is a deceptively important release for Nintendo. It really could help the argument for bringing full games over from mobile and maybe stem the tide of developers switching over entirely in Japan.

I sort of wonder if Nintendo will pick it up themselves for the western release?

Maybe though I doubt that matters too much. this is more a Japanese experiement, western 3rd parties have long since ditched the 3DS and Angry birds sells reasonably enough for them to keep making ports.

sörine

Banned
I think its pretty clear that DQ11 will be on smartphones, and it might be the first time DQ doesn't make money.
I don't think it's all that clear to be honest. SE has been talking about going multiplatform with DQ but they haven't really indicated they want to move it away from Nintendo platforms. I could see a Layton 7 situation for DQXI though.

Mpl90

Quoting myself. I think I'm right, but I'd like a confirmation.

It just updated. It says 5,000 - 10,000 now. So, does this mean it sold between that number during the first 26-28 hours?

Somnid

So I don't know much about P&D Z. Is it also a huge IAP cash-grab like the mobile game or does the up-front cost make it less heinous?

sörine

Banned
Maybe though I doubt that matters too much. this is more a Japanese experiement, western 3rd parties have long since ditched the 3DS and Angry birds sells reasonably enough for them to keep making ports.
The west never supported Nintendo handhelds well though. That market dropping out means less kid focused shovelware mainly.

I don't think PDZ makes an argument against mobile so much as it does for 3DS inclusion in addition to mobile.

Mpl90

Hmm, actually this is an interesting implication, because even force-refreshing I still get 1000-5000.

The counter seems like it's not quite working?

I don't know, I still see 5,000-10,000 even after other refreshes. Maybe it's your browser XD

It's not clear at all that DQ11 will be on smartphones. That's like saying the FF games show FF15 will be smartphone exclusive or GTA San Andreas on iOS shows GTA6 is going to be on smartphones. It's pretty obviously going to be on 3DS. iOS might get some bad port years down the road or some cheap spinoff.

Thorgal

Hmm, actually this is an interesting implication, because even force-refreshing I still get 1000-5000.

The counter seems like it's not quite working?

Hmm weird. because it did change .

Pl25mOo.png

Edit :
Okay Angry Birds Go shows 5-10 installs despite having 24,208 reviews: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.angrybirdsgo

I'm starting to think this might not actually be a useful data source.

Are you sure it is not on your end because i have between 500.000 - 1.000.000 installs.

EfcmCuI.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know, I still see 5,000-10,000 even after other refreshes. Maybe it's your browser XD

Hmm, I've switched to Chrome and it still says this.

...I wonder if it's actually picking up our regions instead (US and Europe).

Edit: Or this shit is just broken for me. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll just assume there's something screwy on my end.

I'm at work and our network and/or computers might be configured to do all sorts of odd things.

Edit:

So re:Mpl90, yes I think that would be at minimum the number of hours it's been in Japan since December 11th.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Not in a million years.

Nevertheless, a companion app on smartphones is certainly a possibility to compliment DQXI on 3DS.

Asd202

Well I hope DQ VIII bombs on smartphones. Not only it's a terrible platform to play the game on, the port itself just sucks.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
sörine;93496567 said:
The west never supported Nintendo handhelds well though. That market dropping out means less kid focused shovelware mainly.

I don't think PDZ makes an argument against mobile so much as it does for 3DS inclusion in addition to mobile.

Yeah noone was implying that. DQVIII potentially not selling great if it does badly makes and an arguement, but even that scenario selling certain types of games still makes sense.

I think the best case scenario what i imagin Nintendo wants out of it (I doubt Sony will remain in the portable business past this generation) is for smart phones to be regarded as a competitor like the psp rather than something that renders their product obsolete. PDZ it if ends up very successful would prove a strong arguement towards that. That ios shouldn't simply be the default platform for the future and that theres still a choice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well this is what they said the last time around:

Polygon said:
Why put DQ10 out on PC? "I'm sure a lot of people were surprised," producer Yosuke Saito told Famitsu magazine, "but the drive to release a PC version was there from the start of DQ10 development. The biggest reason was that, when thinking about which platform was most likely to be connected to a network, the PC was the first that popped into our minds. We also live in an era where there's nearly one PC for every household, and for people who grew up with Dragon Quest, PCs have been a natural part of their entire lives. We figured it wouldn't seem unnatural."

Executive producer Yuu Miyake also brought up the more practical, financial side of running a successful MMO. "One thing I can say," he said, "looking across the series from DQ8 onward, is that the business model of creating a retail package and releasing it exclusively on a single platform has become difficult to execute. Gamers' play styles and tastes are getting segmented, and we can't settle on a single platform. We're also in an era where trying to make back development costs on a title good enough to be part of the main story is getting more difficult with the traditional business model. We have to build a new business model, one that doesn't end with a retail package being purchased. So, when we decided to have DQX be an MMORPG, it was decided it'd be available for a monthly rate. Our direction was to center the game on a console that anyone can pick up and play, then gradually expand out to other platforms."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/45...s-discuss-the-pc-port-and-eventual-us-release

Since then, they've announced:

1.) A PC version of Dragon Quest X .
2.) Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for 3DS.
3.) Dragon Quest 1-8 for iOS/Android.
4.) Dragon Quest X for iOS via cloud streaming.
5.) Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for iOS/Android.

There are two non-multiplatform titles, but they're technically part of the same sub-franchise. Everything else involves porting games to more platforms.

Edit: I think I misread your post.

Top Bottom