• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

Darius

Banned
My guess is before fall 2016 if something good/great happens (big exclusives/pricecut/special offer or announcement, etc)

It´s about time for a chalkboard for PS4.

In general it´s quite fascinating how some Japanese publishers are running their own companies into the ground, just out of beeing stubborn, NipponIchis recent outcry was quite pathetic.

Atram

Psv dosn't look like it will have any exclusive games from any big Ip that made PSP so popular ,starting by 2015 psv vita yearly sale will fall.
By January vita should had 3.5 millions and i think in 2015 psv will sold 700k,500k in 2016 and 300k 2017 which will put it to 5 millions.
I'll predict ps4 will do 1.5m in 2015,1.2m 2016,1.5 in 2017 which will put it to 5.1 millions so i think it will outsell it by end of 2017 then increase the lead.

in Japan? i don´t think so...

duckroll

Releasing so many games on the same platform with a tiny userbase is not a smart move. People will go towards one or two games at most.

I think the Japanese audience for games like Disgaea and Senran aren't the sort who would be bothered by spending a few hundred dollars on blu-rays for a single anime series they like, so it's really that big of an issue there. The big question is really how Bloodborne will does in Japan. I feel the other titles really matter very little in the larger scheme of things because they're either cross-gen or niche otaku stuff.

crinale

WHAT? WHEN? LINK!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949987

I think the Japanese audience for games like Disgaea and Senran aren't the sort who would be bothered by spending a few hundred dollars on blu-rays for a single anime series they like, so it's really that big of an issue there. The big question is really how Bloodborne will does in Japan. I feel the other titles really matter very little in the larger scheme of things because they're either cross-gen or niche otaku stuff.

As for Pirate Warriors 3 and Senran Kagura, their primary platforms are PS4 and Vita, and PS4 should be like an added Bonus (however I have a strong feeling that PW3 may underperform, even with cross-gen release).

And for BloodBorne, while they say it was moved to ensure quality or something, avoiding going H2H with Dragon Quest may be one of the reasons of the delay..

Atram

I think you are one of people who think console are dead there no matter how many support console get there

no i think more than 5 mio. till the end of 2017 are impossible to reach in japan for the PS4 or any other Console in Japan. The PS3 had an awesome Lineup to and only one Million seller in 8 Years. The PS4 could do the same or even more worse.

Shahed

Releasing so many games on the same platform with a tiny userbase is not a smart move. People will go towards one or two games at most.

Not a smart move from who? It's not as if Sony, Namco, NIS and Marvelous can tell each other to not release a game so their's does better!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
opposite to my initial thoughts, btw, it seems that also PS4 will not be able to match its predecessor's sales in Japan, right? I mean, PS3 is at 10+ millions.

Well, considering the fact that D5 must sell 150k... :p

SK has the PSV version that will compensate, and I think Bloodborne will attract the largest audience.

Not a smart move from who? It's not as if Sony, Namco, NIS and Marvelous can tell each other to not release a game so their's does better!

Companies don't make decisions in a vacuum. They can tacitely coordinate to avoid cannibalization. This doesn't happen sometimes, but it is something that companies must consider.

crinale

Is there some kind of holiday around that time?

End of fiscal year is the biggest reason games got clammed to end of March.
And another reason is since April is the beginning of new school year some kids get gifts from their parents (yeah I had to buy some stuff too BTW :p).

hiska-kun

get married with a jpn "garl" and you can stay here ;)
Roppongi, friday evening, the keys

saturday morning where you go for YW2.5 ? maybe I go to Bic Camera Ikebukuro before going to work

That's what you did? lol

I think I will go to shinjuku (usually more fun over there). But i will check Ikebukuro's store before going there.
What time are you planning to go?

small44

no i think more than 5 mio. till the end of 2017 are impossible to reach in japan for the PS4 or any other Console in Japan.

Why just because wii u sold poorly too and ps4 didn't do well in it first years?When you see the support they get it's normal to have bad sales.
But ps4 is starting to get more and more support and it's getting big 3rd party IP unlike psv or wii u.
Consoles would do bad in west too if it don't have Call of duty,Fifa,Destiny etc

Shahed

Companies don't make decisions in a vacuum. They can tacitely coordinate to avoid cannibalization. This doesn't happen sometimes, but it is something that companies must consider.

Not much they can do about the Bloodborne delay. And making the release before fiscal year end can be important, and if the game's won't be ready enough to bring the release forward, what else can they do?

crinale

Not much they can do about the Bloodborne delay. And making the release before fiscal year end can be important, and if the game's won't be ready enough to bring the release forward, what else can they do?

Well I stated this above also but I can't stress enough how screwed you are if you miss the fiscal year in Japanese company, but I guess it isn't limited to Japan but rather common sense.
Rumor goes that Bandai (not Namco part) is extremely picky about meeting the release date, and that sometimes leads to the unpolished product

Look, I'm not saying they did wrong and that they must move otherwise they will go out of the market. I'm just saying that launching 4 games on the same platform the same day might be risky given the tiny installed base, and the fact that some titles might compete for the same users. There won't be an holiday (it's not Golden Week, for example), so the volume of sales won't be peculiarly higher.

Then companies can do whatever they want, but overcrowding might be a problem. That's all.

Atram

Why just because wii u sold poorly too and ps4 didn't do well in it first years?When you see the support they get it's normal to have bad sales.
But ps4 is starting to get more and more support and it's getting big 3rd party IP unlike psv or wii u.
Consoles would do bad in west too if it don't have Call of duty,Fifa,Destiny etc

how i said PS3 had this same support in a better market and economy situation. Most of the big hitters will underperfom or run under the high expectations that most of the people will have here because of the success in the West.

2nd Problem this Big IP´s you speaking off are all front loaded. Front Loaded Games never realy helped pushing the sales, only for a small momentum.

3DS has the biggest Japan IP´s and the most support, there is an overall decline and the PS4 will be like any other affected from that situation.

5 Mio. PS4 till End 2017 is a big dream not more...

crinale

Pay day is around the 28th iirc, so that's why the last week of each month is usually packed with releases.

It's more like 25th for larger companies, and a few days earlier for smaller companies with a little less cash flow.

Did you notice today if Amiibo's Villager is getting sold-out in some shops? I noticed on amazon already has price doubled
I guess Nintendo announcing they'll produce only first lot for some models might have some effect in it.

That's what you did? lol

I think I will go to shinjuku (usually more fun over there). But i will check Ikebukuro's store before going there.
What time are you planning to go?

no, cause my waifu is chinese :D

I said Ikebukuro cause it's near from my home, and they open shop at 8:00, I also can take a look in Shinjuku cause I have to take Chuou-sen, but not so early ! :D

Did you notice today if Amiibo's Villager is getting sold-out in some shops? I noticed on amazon already has price doubled

Shahed

Look, I'm not saying they did wrong and that they must move otherwise they will go out of the market. I'm just saying that launching 4 games on the same platform the same day might be risky given the tiny installed base, and the fact that some titles might compete for the same users. There won't be an holiday (it's not Golden Week, for example), so the volume of sales won't be peculiarly higher.

Then companies can do whatever they want, but overcrowding might be a problem. That's all.

Oh I get your point and actually agree about the problems it can cause. If there are 5 games coming out that I want to play all at once, I buy 1 and get the other 4 later over time. Just the part you mentioned about not being a smart move is all! Yes it's not ideal and it might hurt, but there's not really any alternative. Games are probably rushed for release as they are

Well I stated this above also but I can't stress enough how screwed you are if you miss the fiscal year in Japanese company, but I guess it isn't limited to Japan but rather common sense.
Rumor goes that Bandai (not Namco part) is extremely picky about meeting the release date, and that sometimes leads to the unpolished product

Bigger companies like the first parties and the like can probably get away with it to an extent since the games tend to have a more long term gain instead of immediate software revenues. An unpolished game can reflect badly on the platform itself. Companies like NIS however...

crinale

Oh I get your point and actually agree about the problems it can cause. If there are 5 games coming out that I want to play all at once, I buy and get the other 4 later over time. Just the part you mentioned about not being a smart move is all! Yes it's not ideal and it might hurt, but there's not really any alternative

Also ppl must keep in mind that there's basically no returning policy for stores, so shipped = revenue made for the publisher. (I'm not arguing against clamming games into same date is a bad idea).

The one that turned out to be a joke?
Yeah only part of Dengeki Interview was posted to 2ch and some ppl just overreacted.
BTW that Dengeki issue is quite difficult to find in Japan lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah only part of Dengeki Interview was posted to 2ch and some ppl just overreacted.
BTW that Dengeki issue is quite difficult to find in Japan lol.

Yeah, just saw it was made in jest. Feeling reassured!

And this makes me desire more about a warning each and every time zeromcd posts a translation. Again, we need a *dontbelievehislies.jpg* with his avatar. Argh.

small44

how i said PS3 had this same support in a better market and economy situation. Most of the big hitters will underperfom or run under the high expectations that most of the people will have here because of the success in the West.

2nd Problem this Big IP´s you speaking off are all front loaded. Front Loaded Games never realy helped pushing the sales, only for a small momentum.

3DS has the biggest Japan IP´s and the most support, there is an overall decline and the PS4 will be like any other affected from that situation.

5 Mio. PS4 till End 2017 is a big dream not more...
The hardcore market is the same people will always buy a console if they had the games they want.
Playstation never had a long term system sellers nothing change here,you underestimate the effect of big IP's even if they will sell less then before the core fanbase will always bough a console just to play his favorite games.
While 3ds is down year over year it's still sell very well,the down over year is due to weaker support.

L~A

And this makes me desire more about a warning each and every time zeromcd posts a translation. Again, we need a *dontbelievehislies.jpg* with his avatar. Argh.

Huh? What's that bit about NIS and Dengeki?

tumblr_inline_ngf2skuiMk1rmjx4g.jpg

Kaio: King of Pirates by Inafune's Intercept and Marvelous went from 2014 to TBA. The update occured recently through the website.

Source: Japanese 3DS.

That's another 3DS game for 2015 if it finally materializes. Maybe new info at Jump Festa? There should also be an anime for it.

StevieP

Banned
The hardcore market is the same people will always buy a console if they had the games they want.
Playstation never had a long term system sellers nothing change here,you underestimate the effect of big IP's even if they will sell less then before the core fanbase will always bough a console just to play his favorite games.
While 3ds is down year over year it's still sell very well,the down over year is due to weaker support.

(This round of) consoles likely won't light the sales charts on fire. Theres a reason why someone referenced the "chalkboard" earlier. Slight improvements in sales from time to time due to more correctly targeted software doesn't mean they'll come anywhere near their predecessors. Hence, chalkboard

small44

(This round of) consoles likely won't light the sales charts on fire. Theres a reason why someone referenced the "chalkboard" earlier. Slight improvements in sales from time to time due to more correctly targeted software doesn't mean they'll come anywhere near their predecessors. Hence, chalkboard
I think 7 or 8 millions is very achievable

hiska-kun

GamesMaya Report

Today it was the release day of two Bundles for PS4: GTAV HD and Dragon Quest Heroes.
Most of the people who purchased the bundles bought second hand games.
The bundles price is expensive, that's why people chose cheaper second hand games.

GamesMaya owner expects Youkai Watch 2: Shin Uchi to sell over 1,5 million first week.

(That's not written in the blog, I just asked her opinion).

zeromcd73

Now, I certainly do get overly excited but it certainly wasn't a mistranslation :)

small44

GamesMaya Report

Today it was the release day of two Bundles for PS4: GTAV HD and Dragon Quest Heroes.
The bundles price is expensive, that's why people chose cheaper second hand games.

GamesMaya owner expects Youkai Watch 2: Shin Uchi to sell over 1,5 million first week.

I hoep thos bundle sold well

GamesMaya Report

If this number is accurate, the game might sell 3m+ by the end of the year, if stock issues won't occur, which would be insane. Coupled with YW2 that would be the best-selling third party game ever, and one of the best-selling game ever.

L~A

hiska-kun

no, cause my waifu is chinese :D

I said Ikebukuro cause it's near from my home, and they open shop at 8:00, I also can take a look in Shinjuku cause I have to take Chuou-sen, but not so early ! :D

I also live very close to Ikebukuro (North), that's why I said I'm going to check the shop first (maybe around 7:40), and I will face to Shinjuku. I expect bigger lines there.
I don't work and I'm free that day, so I will enjoy the lines lol

If this number is accurate, the game might sell 3m+ by the end of the year, if stock issues won't occur, which would be insane. Coupled with YW2 that would be the best-selling third party game ever, and one of the best-selling game ever.

The more crazy part about this is that the franchise blew up in a year. It's now the biggest 3rd party franchise (especially taking into consideration money made on merchandise( in Japan in the span of a year. The only comparison would be Pokemon. I'm extremely interested to see how Level 5 manages the series, especially heading into the west.

Top Bottom