• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

The Vita was what these gaming-journalists wanted, so they were more than happy to ignore the obvious: That Sony had apparently learned nothing from what happened last gen.
PSP sold very well for them in the end in Japan. If it didn't sell they wouldn't be making Vita. If they made a marginally more powerful device than PSP people would have been disappointed. They at least made something powerful that would be locked down (to hopefully prevent piracy).

Bulzeeb

PSP sold very well for them in the end in Japan. If it didn't sell they wouldn't be making Vita. If they made a marginally more powerful device than PSP people would have been disappointed. They at least made something powerful that would be locked down (to hopefully prevent piracy).

now that you mention it, how's been the piracy on the 3DS, it is as bad as the DS? or it acutally improved

gogogow

How long do you think it'll take for any Vita game to cross 400k?

I wonder which Vita launch title will sextuple it's launch week sales and will still be in the charts after 10 months. It has insane legs, though not surprising since it's a Nintendo game.

All the Nintendo ambassadors here are so easy to identify, you don't need to even see their avatars, just read their posts. I would be nice to see what were they saying after the 1st 2 weeks in the market of the 3DS.

The PSVita is in a difficult position, no doubt about it, however a lot of you are taking a extreme position about it's fortune with only 2 weeks of data. I think that Yoshida and Sony envisioned the multiple scenarios that they could face with the hardware and have set the strategies they would follow in each of them, communicating effectively with their management/investors in order to set expectations accordingly. if they didn't is quite clear that heads will roll soon enough.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
All the Nintendo ambassadors here are so easy to identify, you don't need to even see their avatars, just read their posts. I would be nice to see what were they saying after the 1st 2 weeks in the market of the 3DS.

The PSVita is in a difficult position, no doubt about it, however a lot of you are taking a extreme position about it's fortune with only 2 weeks of data. I think that Yoshida and Sony envisioned the multiple scenarios that they could face with the hardware and have set the strategies they would follow in each of them, communicating effectively with their management/investors in order to set expectations accordingly. if they didn't is quite clear that heads will roll soon enough.

You don`t have to be a Nintendo fanboy too see that the coming months for Vita wont be easy. Its not that everyone who has anything negative to say about the vita launch performance has to be Iwatas best friend.

It`s just the story of these weeks sales, thats how it goes. No one knows what will be in 6, 12 or even 18 months.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I love when any criticism is immediately cast aside as crazed fanboy comments. WAY too many people on here get butthurt over criticism of companies that they have no real connection with.

What would the other options be?

Who knows? Sure, they were in a tough spot. But, at least they could have made something more affordable, innovated more on the interface and SECURED MONSTER HUNTER.

Considering how poor the PSP software sales were outside Japan, and how expensive HD games are to make, I don't see how Sony thought making just "another PSP" could turn out profitable for them.

Road

Hot Shots Golf Portable was the first PSP title to cross 400k, basically one year after its launch, in Nov. 2005. At the same time, the PSP was crossing 2 million units sold.

The first PS3 title to cross 400k was MGS4, 19 months after its launch, in June 2008. The PS3 had sold around 2.1 million units by then.

The first 3DS title to cross 400k was OoT3D, 7 months after its launch, in Sep. 2011. The 3DS had sold 1.9 million units by then.

4 weeks for the Wii, 5 weeks for the NDS.

DCharlie

Banned
How long do you think it'll take for any Vita game to cross 400k?

the wink should have been the give away that it was flippant, but first game to reach 400k? I'd say -one- game will do it around September.

You don`t have to be a Nintendo fanboy too see that the coming months for Vita wont be easy. Its not that everyone who has anything negative to say about the vita launch performance has to be Iwatas best friend.

It`s just the story of these weeks sales, thats how it goes. No one knows what will be in 6, 12 or even 18 months.

That's an fact that everybody here has acknowledged, however the vitriol and FUD has elevated to 11 in the last few pages. The conclusions being made by some posters with just 2 weeks of data are rather biased to put it nicely.

I agree on the fact that it is impossible to make predictions of some kind on the long term from just two weeks. But the thing that astonishes most of us is to see a new console struggling behind PSP, PS3 and Wii, during the Christmas week, with still 100k left from the first shipment.

Vita could have done an average first year behind 3DS and with low numbers, but the launch.. Well, that would have been fairly big.

Durante

You keep waiting for magic game XX to save the platform, but the fact that that game doesn't exist, and if it comes from a third party (because Sony first party efforts are atrocious from a sales point) then there is no reason why that game couldn't be ported to the 3DS. The performances are extremely similar, and we have to start from that point; and all of the high end japanese franchises are on 3DS.
I won't comment on sales or games, and it may not even have much impact on the fate of either platform, but this is just too factually wrong to let go. 3DS is closer in performance to PSP than it is to Vita.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That's an fact that everybody here has acknowledged, however the vitriol and FUD has elevated to 11 in the last few pages. The conclusions being made by some posters with just 2 weeks of data are rather biased to put it nicely.

With this price, line-up and 2 weeks of data, future is set until Sony makes some dynamic moves.

Road

the wink should have been the give away that it was flippant, but first game to reach 400k? I'd say -one- game will do it around September.
I know you weren't so serious (although there's a bit of truth in what you said, at least this time).

The 406k number just prompted my curiosity regardless of Nintendog's performance because I knew it had taken awhile for the PS3.

WAT?

The second analog stick alone shows Sony learned a little from last gen.

Lessons about the mechanics of playing games? Maybe.

Lessons about positioning and selling their handhelds to the general public? I'm far from convinced. If anything, Vita is a step backwards for Sony in this regard.

Laguna

Banned

First things first. I love your username.

Second most people don´t say it´s an inevitable outcome, they just say that Sony has to take some measure because the known lineup doesn´t look very promising for Japan. If sales become flat early next year it would also have further consequences on new projects and the release schedule, a game like FFX eg. could be pushed back for the next holiday season, because publishers aren´t too eager to lose money due to a low userbase and for Sonys sake, if needed they´ll just delay their games instead. Something that could cause further problems and Vita early adopters having to wait even more, atleast for 2012.

I agree on the fact that it is impossible to make predictions of some kind on the long term from just two weeks. But the thing that astonishes most of us is to see a new console struggling behind PSP, PS3 and Wii, during the Christmas week, with still 100k left from the first shipment.

Vita could have done an average first year behind 3DS and with low numbers, but the launch.. Well, that would have been fairly big.

7-Jan 133,000 155,000
7-Feb 63,000 107,000
7-Mar 77,000 106,000
7-Apr 52,000 49,000
7-May 44,000 36,000
7-Jun 65,000 52,000
7-Jul 54,000 79,000
7-Aug 57,000 78,000
7-Sep 61,000 61,000
Month PS2 PS3

PS2 outsold PS3 in some months in 2007, The reasons why an older console would outsell is successor are clear, it has a lower price with a bigger library that have a lower price and a bigger catalog of software that can be bought used for even less money.

In the case of the PSP is a even more valid option when the 3DS makes it look like a rather competent device, instead of obsolete hardware. Sony needs to work the software aspect of the device and provide experiences that are unique to their machine.

The situation of the PSVita does look grim based on the sales data we know and the current line-up, but I thought history (especially people who have been following Media-create sales for a while) has least shown that nothing is set in stone and things can dramatically change in the future. Some of y'all are setting yourself up for crow eating, but I guess that's also part of what makes these threads fun.

cvxfreak

Hot Shots Golf Portable was the first PSP title to cross 400k, basically one year after its launch, in Nov. 2005. At the same time, the PSP was crossing 2 million units sold.

The first PS3 title to cross 400k was MGS4, 19 months after its launch, in June 2008. The PS3 had sold around 2.1 million units by then.

The first 3DS title to cross 400k was OoT3D, 7 months after its launch, in Sep. 2011. The 3DS had sold 1.9 million units by then.

4 weeks for the Wii, 5 weeks for the NDS.

Fixed.

With this price, line-up and 2 weeks of data, future is set until Sony makes some dynamic moves.

I 100% agree with your statement, however when has SCE stand pat in regards to their under-performing devices? Looking at past history they have been arguably the most reactive and dynamic company in the space.

gogogow

7-Jan 133,000 155,000
7-Feb 63,000 107,000
7-Mar 77,000 106,000
7-Apr 52,000 49,000
7-May 44,000 36,000
7-Jun 65,000 52,000
7-Jul 54,000 79,000
7-Aug 57,000 78,000
7-Sep 61,000 61,000
Month PS2 PS3

PS2 outsold PS3 in some months in 2007, The reasons why an older console would outsell is successor are clear, it has a lower price with a bigger library that have a lower price and a bigger catalog of software that can be bought used for even less money.

In the case of the PSP is a even more valid option when the 3DS makes it look like a rather competent device, instead of obsolete hardware. Sony needs to work the software aspect of the device and provide experiences that are unique to their machine.

Yeah, in "some" months, but not during the holidays, where PS3 outsold the PS2.

That seems a little delusional.

I made that post before Segnit posted, and there were a few people behind mine which you could easily quote, but I still don't see anyone else. What I do see are lots of doom and gloom posts, some of them warranted, some of them not, but none of them doing so gleefully. But calling out everyone with a Nintendo avatar? Casting a net that wide?

I think the real only difference I see is people who are invested in the performance of the platform on a personal level (in terms of "I want Vita to succeed because it represents powerful technology for me" or "I want Vita to succeed because Nintendo fanboys are crazy" - which makes little sense to me) versus people who just want to talk about numbers and predict because doing so is fun, even if it's illogical to do so on nine days of sales.

I see mostly the latter in this thread. Someone can think a system is going to tank and yet not be happy about it being the case. Personally, I have little stake in the matter; I just like reading Sales Age threads.

The situation of the PSVita does look grim based on the sales data we know and the current line-up, but I thought history (especially people who have been following Media-create sales for a while) would have at least know that nothing is set in stone and things can dramatically change in the future. Some of y'all are setting yourself up for crow eating, but I guess that's also part of what makes these threads fun.

It would be hard for me to get offended by a prediction for a system I am "rooting for" (as stupid and juvenile as that sounds) only because this numbers game is rooted in hyperbole, over the top exaggerations, and everything else that happens on the internet.

I 100% agree with your statement, however when has SCE stand pat in regards to their under-performing devices? Looking at past history they have been arguably the most reactive and dynamic company in the space.
Post 3DS panic mode, I'd say that's yet another crown Nintendo's taken from Sony's head.

BurntPork

Banned

It's pretty much unheard of for a system to both not have enough launch hype to sell through the initial shipment and to be completely unaffected by the holiday season. This is a serious issue, and Sony will have to get more serious than they have in a long time to fix it.

Also, just say "fanboy." We all know what you mean.

7-Jan 133,000 155,000
7-Feb 63,000 107,000
7-Mar 77,000 106,000
7-Apr 52,000 49,000
7-May 44,000 36,000
7-Jun 65,000 52,000
7-Jul 54,000 79,000
7-Aug 57,000 78,000
7-Sep 61,000 61,000
Month PS2 PS3

Sure, things can always chance. Maybe tomorrow Metal Gear 5, Persona 5, and Dragon Quest XI will all be announced as Vita exclusives. Who knows?

But when the 3DS showed signs of flopping, we all knew that at least sure-fire hits like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and (eventually) Pokemon were coming. With the Vita, it's doubtful even FFX will have much of an impact, considering the state the franchise is in right now.

Plus, I don't think Sony would be happy with the Vita being a PS3-level success, as that console is still doing only "ok at best" in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

With PS3 maybe with PSP no.

Edit: More correct is that with PSP they tried but in the end they failed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lessons about the mechanics of playing games? Maybe.

Lessons about positioning and selling their handhelds to the general public? I'm far from convinced. If anything, Vita is a step backwards for Sony in this regard.

I'm convinced they haven't learned as well. I think the 3DS launch price and the current sales-bomba of Vita is proof of where the public has set a limit on what they'll pay for a handheld system.

I think the next console cycle is going to be very interesting as well because of this. Anything over $349 will faiil horribly in the first years, IMO.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
We talk about lineup and price, but form factor could also be an issue. Having to protect Vita in a case, that can't fit in a pocket, was a bad idea to begin with. It makes its usage less casual than it should be. This is a design limitation which may be a hindrance to a segment of consumers.

Sure, things can always chance. Maybe tomorrow Metal Gear 5, Persona 5, and Dragon Quest XI will all be announced as Vita exclusives. Who knows?

But when the 3DS showed signs of flopping, we all knew that at least sure-fire hits like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and (eventually) Pokemon were coming. With the Vita, it's doubtful even FFX will have much of an impact, considering the state the franchise is in right now.

Plus, I don't think Sony would be happy with the Vita being a PS3-level success, as that console is still doing only "ok at best" in Japan.

I agree that Sony is facing a serious challenge if they attempt to gain substantial success with the device, from a software point of view they need to create or translate those IP that will bring value and uniqueness to the user experience, also communicate this effectively to the consumers.

I just like the discussion to be more of what can they realistically do, instead of the doom, dead, nothing can be done, etc.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some posts ago we had the PSV lineup.

Well

{2012.01.12}

[3DS] Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble (Bandai Namco)
[3DS] Shinren Camera (Nintendo)
[3DS] The Adventures of TinTin (Ubisoft)

{2012.01.19}

[3DS] Beyond the Labyrinth (Konami)
[3DS] Rhythm Phantom Thief R: Inheritance of the Emperor Napoleon (SEGA)
[3DS] Runabout 3D: Drive Impossible (Rocket Company)

{2012.01.26}

[3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom)
[3DS] Zoo Keeper 3D (Robot)

{2012.02.02}

[3DS] Fishing 3D (D3 Publisher)

{2012.02.14}

[3DS] New Love Plus (Konami)

{2012.02.16}

[3DS] Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy (Square Enix)
[3DS] Tekken 3D: Prime Edition (Bandai Namco)
[3DS] Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die (Chunsoft)

{2012.02.23}

[3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land's Origin (Marvelous AQL)
[3DS] Nightmare Puzzle Crush 3D (Sega)

{2012.03.01}

[3DS] Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games (Nintendo)

{2012.03.08}

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai (Sega)
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)
[3DS] Girls RPG: Cinderella Life (Level 5)

{2012.03.15}

[3DS] If I were in a sealed room with a girl, I'd probably make her sooooooooooo happy (D3 Publisher)
[3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs. (Koei Tecmo)

{2012.03.22}

[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo)
[3DS] Pac-Man Party 3D (Bandai Namco)

{2012.03.xx}

[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Square Enix)

...And I think to know when precisely KH3D will be released

[PS2] Kingdom Hearts (Square) - 411.492 / 838.323 / 49,09% 28/03/02

We talk about lineup and price, but form factor could also be an issue. Having to protect Vita in a case, that can't fit in a pocket, was a bad idea to begin with. It makes its usage less casual than it should be. This is a design limitation which may be a hindrance to a segment of consumers.

Why do you think they took portable out of the name

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, we should still have some retailer reports today, despite the only release is Gravure for You Vol.2, right?

7-Jan 133,000 155,000
7-Feb 63,000 107,000
7-Mar 77,000 106,000
7-Apr 52,000 49,000
7-May 44,000 36,000
7-Jun 65,000 52,000
7-Jul 54,000 79,000
7-Aug 57,000 78,000
7-Sep 61,000 61,000
Month PS2 PS3

I don't know.
3DS was not outsold by the DS one week after the launch. Starting from very good numbers during the first week, I expected a more decent hold the second week for Vita, also because it's holiday time, and people tend to buy.

Since we all know that Vita's line-up in the first year, or at least in the first half of the first year is not so great commercially speaking, and pretty weak compared to the 3DS's one, I think it was reasonable to expect a big launch and then a moderate first year. But with such numbers in the second week I cannot see how Vita could do average weekly sales during 2012 with just Persona 4 and Gundam Seed as top sellers.

Anyway, it may occur that old consoles sell better than new ones, but so early? And ALL the platforms except PS2, 360 and DS? Come on man.

Top Bottom